EA Forums - Banner

Difference in difficulty sliders (offline play)

I see there are multiple sliders to make the game more or less difficult to play (offline play). You have. 1. Gameplay settings or Gamestyle settings. 2. Attribute Effects. 3. AI learning. 4. CPU difficulty adjustment. 5. CPU strategy adjustment.

Does Arcade vs Full-Sim affect how the AI plays the game or does it affect a specific set of attributes? IE does it affect your shot power or skating speed? Or just does it change how the computer plays? What is the % of effect for each adjustment? Can Full-Sim be over ridden by slider adjustments?

How does Rookie vs Superstar setting affect the game play? Does it change the attributes or changes game play sliders on a global scale? Does it affect attribute level or does it just reduce or increase the level of errors. Rookie level will make more errors than superstar level? What will this do to individual attribute like shot power or speed? By what % does each tick up or down effect? If a player chooses Superstar setting but reduces all the CPU sliders does it just reduce it to a rookie setting?

What specifically does the CPU difficulty slider change? Does it reduce mistakes the CPU controlled players do? Does it make the computer smarter to play against? Does it affect their attributes? Does it affect the style of game play? By what % of difficulty go up with each tick of the slider?

So if Im losing constantly 10-3 and getting out shot. Which of the difficulty settings would it be best to adjust to balance the game?
If Im winning 10-3 and outshooting them 35-10. Which difficulty slider would be best to balance everything out?

I hate chasing sliders so I only want to adjust the one that will to the most that effects the balance of the game. I dont want to win by 10 in every game, but I dont want to lose by 10 in every game either.

Replies

• Superstar makes the AI hyper aggressive and actually gives the CPU an advantage over you attribute wise. That being said, I’ve found myself winning games by much more on superstar this year than pro because the hyper aggressiveness leads to many open one-timers.

As a long time online and offline player, I’ve found Pro to be the most dynamic and fun skill level to build off of this year. I try to lessen success rates of both teams rather than dumbing down just the AI or only buffing my team. For example, I tone pass reception ease down to 0 for both teams, I run attribute effect at 10/10 (more player separation) I turn shot accuracies down, I remove all passing assist to make the game sloppier from the human side, I make screens matter more than they do by default, I make bouncing pucks harder to grab, I make pass receptions on hard passes or passes where the receiver has to catch it awkwardly harder.

So as you can see, there’s many things to make the game a bit sloppier and therefore harder to have success without really fundamentally buffing/nerfing one side or the other. One fundamental change that’s been a thing since forever, is turning CPU pass accuracy down to 0. It’s just required really. They don’t miss passes unless you turn that down to literally 0.

I’ll try posting a set tonight, try it out, and tell me what you think.
  • Thank you... Im trying not to make too many slider adjustments for now and just using the difficulty slider. You know if you move one slider, it will affect others, so Im keeping the slider movements to a minimum. I keep attributes at 5. So players like Ovie are closure to their true rating and someone like Dirk "The Hammer" Johnson who is a 45 remains at a 45. That way when you have your first line go up against a 4th line, the difference isnt that great. You should have an advantage, but it shouldnt be like laughable advantage.
    So if Im losing 10-3 in every game, what would be the best difficulty setting to move to balance out the game? If Im winning 10-3, what would be the best slider to move? I dont want to go out and chase sliders. Move the passing slider and it will probably affect the shooting ability and so on. So just want to make one difficulty slider adjustment at a time.
    so thats why I asked whats the difference between the sliders. If Im winning too much do I move up to allstar or do i just increase the difficulty slider? What does Rookie vs Superstar actually do? What does the difficulty slider actually do?
    Keep your sliders as is, and just mess around with the difficulty sliders, tell me what you think happens.
  • Tier1SOFOperator
    495 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Superstar makes the AI hyper aggressive and actually gives the CPU an advantage over you attribute wise. That being said, I’ve found myself winning games by much more on superstar this year than pro because the hyper aggressiveness leads to many open one-timers.

As a long time online and offline player, I’ve found Pro to be the most dynamic and fun skill level to build off of this year. I try to lessen success rates of both teams rather than dumbing down just the AI or only buffing my team. For example, I tone pass reception ease down to 0 for both teams, I run attribute effect at 10/10 (more player separation) I turn shot accuracies down, I remove all passing assist to make the game sloppier from the human side, I make screens matter more than they do by default, I make bouncing pucks harder to grab, I make pass receptions on hard passes or passes where the receiver has to catch it awkwardly harder.

So as you can see, there’s many things to make the game a bit sloppier and therefore harder to have success without really fundamentally buffing/nerfing one side or the other. One fundamental change that’s been a thing since forever, is turning CPU pass accuracy down to 0. It’s just required really. They don’t miss passes unless you turn that down to literally 0.

I’ve always thought that Pro plays the best as well. But I’ve been finding it just too easy. They never shoot the puck. I can poke check the puck off of them at will, etc. Are you finding that you can have competitive games on Pro? Like do you ever lose games?
    Also, what do you do to attempt to mitigate the “game speed “ glitch? I’m constantly wrestling with it.

• Superstar makes the AI hyper aggressive and actually gives the CPU an advantage over you attribute wise. That being said, I’ve found myself winning games by much more on superstar this year than pro because the hyper aggressiveness leads to many open one-timers.

I’ve always thought that Pro plays the best as well. But I’ve been finding it just too easy. They never shoot the puck. I can poke check the puck off of them at will, etc. Are you finding that you can have competitive games on Pro? Like do you ever lose games?
    Also, what do you do to attempt to mitigate the “game speed “ glitch? I’m constantly wrestling with it.

No mitigating it man, I’m suffering from it too lol. Pre-patch, Pro was awesome for my liking because I play 1/2 the game as each team so I wasn’t concerned with AI goals. Post-patch, I bumped up to all-star as it seems the neutral zone pressure was toned down and I was trying to get it back. Post-patch, game feels like 20 and I almost want a refund. I bought the game for being different, one patch and all of a sudden I’m back to skating in the zone uncontested with no in-zone of neutral zone pressure. Very annoying.
  • Tier1SOFOperator
    495 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Superstar makes the AI hyper aggressive and actually gives the CPU an advantage over you attribute wise. That being said, I’ve found myself winning games by much more on superstar this year than pro because the hyper aggressiveness leads to many open one-timers.

No mitigating it man, I’m suffering from it too lol. Pre-patch, Pro was awesome for my liking because I play 1/2 the game as each team so I wasn’t concerned with AI goals. Post-patch, I bumped up to all-star as it seems the neutral zone pressure was toned down and I was trying to get it back. Post-patch, game feels like 20 and I almost want a refund. I bought the game for being different, one patch and all of a sudden I’m back to skating in the zone uncontested with no in-zone of neutral zone pressure. Very annoying.

I think you are onto something regarding how the patch changed how the games play, especially on Pro. I used to have some very competitive games using Pro. I was scoring some very organic and realistic goals. Goals that never would have worked in 20. Post patch it really does feel more like 20. I’ve abandoned Pro and I’m currently using Allstar. It’s decent when the “game speed” glitch doesn’t take over.
    Is there a way to play the game without the patch?
    Do you user tuner 1.0 or 1.1?

Post edited by Tier1SOFOperator on

I think you are onto something regarding how the patch changed how the games play, especially on Pro. I used to have some very competitive games using Pro. I was scoring some very organic and realistic goals. Goals that never would have worked in 20. Post patch it really does feel more like 20. I’ve abandoned Pro and I’m currently using Allstar. It’s decent when the “game speed” glitch doesn’t take over.

I think once the patch is out, we’re unfortunately stuck with NHL 20.2. I’ve been using tuner set 1.01 but will be asking for a refund if they don’t revert this patch that caused offline to go from a product I liked and purchased to NHL 20.2 which I had no intention of buying again.

I think once the patch is out, we’re unfortunately stuck with NHL 20.2. I’ve been using tuner set 1.01 but will be asking for a refund if they don’t revert this patch that caused offline to go from a product I liked and purchased to NHL 20.2 which I had no intention of buying again.

Maybe we could delete the game. Turn off automatic updates on the console and reinstall the game?

Maybe we could delete the game. Turn off automatic updates on the console and reinstall the game?

Possibly, but then we don’t get tuner 1.01 and I think those patches would auto-download now. I think we’re too late. We’re at the mercy of the devs now.

Possibly, but then we don’t get tuner 1.01 and I think those patches would auto-download now. I think we’re too late. We’re at the mercy of the devs now.

Are there any techy/nerds on this forum that can confirm this? Can we reinstall the game and not use the patch?

Are there any techy/nerds on this forum that can confirm this? Can we reinstall the game and not use the patch?

Is this why we don’t have a NHL PC release? It’d be easy to not include a patch on PC. Could actually play the game we paid for.

Is this why we don’t have a NHL PC release? It’d be easy to not include a patch on PC. Could actually play the game we paid for.

I just seem to think that there is a console setting that allows you to turn off automatic updates.

I just seem to think that there is a console setting that allows you to turn off automatic updates.

There is for sure a setting for that, but I’m not positive that reinstalling the game only installs the base game. I think you’d get all of the patches without having control over that. We don’t have the granular control over the file system like a PC does on consoles.

There is for sure a setting for that, but I’m not positive that reinstalling the game only installs the base game. I think you’d get all of the patches without having control over that. We don’t have the granular control over the file system like a PC does on consoles.

Can someone more techy than me please chime in on this?
  • Oslik1000
    473 posts Member
    edited October 2020

if you will do download anything -> tuner will be install again automaticaly. one only reason is cut off online profile.
  • frenchfrog
    124 posts Member
    edited October 2020

Or do like me ..if you only play offline..
    The patch is fine it s the tuners that mess this game up...erase your profile ...not the game just the profile i the ps4 settings...the tuner is attached to it ..
    And start the game back up ..just make sure to write your sliders setting on a piece of paper ,that to will dissapear.

I ve done the experience twice ...
    And the game feel better especially the skating .....much more natural...

Cheers
    MRSENATEURS
  • This game drives me crazy. Einstein said the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing and then expecting different RESULTS. I keep getting this game because I love Hockey (I play offline) but the distinct advantage the computer has like suctioning you into the boards, losing the draw and that center-iceman singlehandedly chasing down where you pass the puck and you can't do any of that. IDK.
  • I think were all insane, by the way we keep doing the same thing and expecting the cross crease to work every time..