EA Forums - Banner

"Play better defense"

Replies

• Moxrox84 wrote: »
    I'd like to submit this one as welll...

Sorry for the quality, I was pressed for time during the game. Perfect position to steal the puck.

Went through two sticks and seems like defenders skate too. In NHL20 that goal would have never happened.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    Moxrox84 wrote: »
    Perfect position to steal the puck.

The on-ice trainer is telling you what action you should've taken:

L1N4REp.png

If you'll notice where my stick is, the blade is now outside and behind his right leg. If I poke, I trip, 100%. A stick lift here will get me a high stick or slashing call. What happens after that is our sticks passing through each other. Right then and there is where the puck should have come off. Why are we ignoring that fact?

That usally means your behind... They had a pretty high speed when they attacked.

But I'm not behind him, I'm right in front of him. There's physically no way he can move that puck to my right or he loses the puck, or the game simply lets him clip right through me. Obviously, the game let him clip through me like I wasn't there.
  • Moxrox84 wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »

L1N4REp.png

If you'll notice where my stick is, the blade is now outside and behind his right leg. If I poke, I trip, 100%. A stick lift here will get me a high stick or slashing call. What happens after that is our sticks passing through each other. Right then and there is where the puck should have come off. Why are we ignoring that fact?

That usally means your behind... They had a pretty high speed when they attacked.

But I'm not behind him, I'm right in front of him. There's physically no way he can move that puck to my right or he loses the puck, or the game simply lets him clip right through me. Obviously, the game let him clip through me like I wasn't there.

Not talking literally, it's the gap, he's almost to close for you to do anything, stick lift, go down on one knee, or a cross check.. But he got the advantage here.

It was no easy task for you.
  • It's an easy task for forwards not afraid of contact because even when bodies are close enough to touch, where stick handling should be impossible, and puck possession disrupted, the puck stays glued to the stick as if there's no one in front of him.

A stick lift just returns the puck to the forward and slows the D down enough to be burned. Using the stick in any way causes a trip. Meanwhile the forward sustains the puck and his speed from the hash marks on in.

@Moxrox84 I know your pain dude.
  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    It's an easy task for forwards not afraid of contact because even when bodies are close enough to touch, where stick handling should be impossible, and puck possession disrupted, the puck stays glued to the stick as if there's no one in front of him.

A stick lift just returns the puck to the forward and slows the D down enough to be burned. Using the stick in any way causes a trip. Meanwhile the forward sustains the puck and his speed from the hash marks on in.

@Moxrox84 I know your pain dude.

You sir are correct and the fact that sticks can go through legs just adds to the missory of playing this game

L1N4REp.png

Not talking literally, it's the gap, he's almost to close for you to do anything, stick lift, go down on one knee, or a cross check.. But he got the advantage here.

It was no easy task for you.

That's the thing...he didn't get the advantage. The game simply overruled my existence and allowed his stick and puck to move right through me. As we've been seeing more and more in examples, the collision has an issue in this game.

The point isn't whether or not I should have stick lifted or hit...the issue is the clear movement of sticks and pucks through objects they shouldn't.
  • How does a single frame give us any indication as to what you're doing to defend as a whole?

Again - I'm not intending to be condescending. I'm not calling you names or degrading your skill level.

I'm simply holding you to task to provide us some more information.

So you see no problem with the stick going through my skate ???
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Sure he does.
  • I love when this happens. There is no way that goal should happen because the stick has to go through legs to make that happen. There should be no denying that yet there it is, use better defense. This is the reason that this game cannot take the next step, its always blaming the player for not doing g something when the obvious is ignored
  • Why doesn't zoom in after the ice so it's easier to follow the puck..?

Cause its hard to tell.. I had a situation I thought the puck went through my stick.. I had to look.. But I was wrong.. It was a sauce, just over my stick.. Looked pretty nice actually.

The first one with the canucks player that comes gliding in the nets direaction.. I dont know what people want to happen there..? With bad luck, why couldn't that happen? Even in real life.
  • thegarden94
    457 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Why doesn't zoom in after the ice so it's easier to follow the puck..?

Cause its hard to tell.. I had a situation I thought the puck went through my stick.. I had to look.. But I was wrong.. It was a sauce, just over my stick.. Looked pretty nice actually.

The first one with the canucks player that comes gliding in the nets direaction.. I dont know what people want to happen there..? With bad luck, why couldn't that happen? Even in real life.

In the first one the puck goes thru the player no sauce , second clip yeah he might have sauced it ...these are not my clips ....this game they way it plays at the moment is in a bad state
  • Sega82mega
    3026 posts Member
    edited November 2020

In the first one the puck goes thru the player no sauce , second clip yeah he might have sauced it ...these are not my clips ....this game they way it plays at the moment is in a bad state

Yeah naah I know it's not your clips.. Just sayin.. But its good you show them.

I see the puck goes under the player.. But what should happen there, for it to be right?

Even if the puck goes under, the puck do not just go up in smoke.. It's still there.. And beacuse he was gliding almost into hes own net, it has a risk into it.

I see the puck goes under the player.. But what should happen there, for it to be right?

Even if the puck goes under, the puck do not just go up in smoke.. It's still there.. And beacuse he was gliding almost into hes own net, it has a risk into it.

Sega look at the screen shot I took he completed the pass ,and it's like the puck disappeared and reappeared on the wingers stick
  • Sega82mega
    3026 posts Member
    edited November 2020

Sega look at the screen shot I took he completed the pass ,and it's like the puck disappeared and reappeared on the wingers stick

Aaah sorry my fault here..

Hmm yeah the puck clearly go under the player... I dont know if that could happen in this game...? How it programmed, if there's some exceptions? A body on the ice can not be totaly bulletproof, there's always some room to find.. Under the armpit for example.

But as I said, I dont know how it suppose to work in this game...

*I think it is, if the player is down on the ice before the pass is made, the puck shouldnt go through. Kinda hard to see in that clip when the player is already down and the pass is on is way...
    Post edited by Sega82mega on
  • EA_Aljo
    2614 posts EA Community Manager
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

Sorry for the quality, I was pressed for time during the game. Perfect position to steal the puck.

It looks like you were going for a hit. A stick lift most likely would have worked well here.

No hit, just staying in front of him. Watch our sticks on the replay. I was a little too close for the stick lift, that would have been slashing. Poking would clearly be a trip...so, I stayed in front of him which was the right call, because the puck should have dislodged when his stick met mine. Instead, his stick just goes right through me like I'm not even there.

It looked like your hands were up like you were trying to hit. Sorry about that. I still think a stick lift would have worked. I use it very frequently with success in close like that. Give it a shot sometime in practice or an offline game and see if it works out for you.

I use stick lift a LOT. I know what I'm doing. I can poke, I can stick lift, I can hip check. I stay right in front of people who are dangling to get pucks. Honestly, all of the skills, I can do just fine...but that's not the point.

Why is his stick and the puck moving through objects like this?

The stick is allowed to pass through objects because if it didn't, it would very frequently be causing arms to bend in ways that would break them. Without 1:1 control of your stick, you can't manually move it out of the way of objects. The way it works instead is by negating contact with the puck briefly when your stick clips through an object. This is to simulate the time it would take to maneuver your stick to get in position to pick up the puck. The puck should not be passing through objects unless the defender's stick is clipping through something.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »

It looks like you were going for a hit. A stick lift most likely would have worked well here.

No hit, just staying in front of him. Watch our sticks on the replay. I was a little too close for the stick lift, that would have been slashing. Poking would clearly be a trip...so, I stayed in front of him which was the right call, because the puck should have dislodged when his stick met mine. Instead, his stick just goes right through me like I'm not even there.

It looked like your hands were up like you were trying to hit. Sorry about that. I still think a stick lift would have worked. I use it very frequently with success in close like that. Give it a shot sometime in practice or an offline game and see if it works out for you.

I use stick lift a LOT. I know what I'm doing. I can poke, I can stick lift, I can hip check. I stay right in front of people who are dangling to get pucks. Honestly, all of the skills, I can do just fine...but that's not the point.

Why is his stick and the puck moving through objects like this?

The puck should not be passing through objects unless the defender's stick is clipping through something.

Aah, thats the case behind that nuck's that comes gliding against he's own goalie.
  • thegarden94
    457 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    A mod or a devs explanation on my last post would be nice ....
  • EA_Aljo
    2614 posts EA Community Manager
    A mod or a devs explanation on my last post would be nice ....

This looks like another issue where the defender's stick is clipping through the goalie which is not letting the defender affect the puck. The dev team is aware of this and looking into it.