EA Forums - Banner

EA...are you fixing this crap???

Prev13
Cross-crease passes literally go through everything and everybody when EA decides they want them to. I borrowed this video from another poster on here to re-iterate what the problem is...and if this intended...WHY??? How is that real in any way??



Take a look EA!!! Look at your trash!!

Replies

  • Not that I agree the stick should go through legs, going for a hit like that was probably one of the worst options. That said. Id love to see sticks hit legs and be pushed out of the way more often. Especially on defense.
  • Thats a good example of how you not should play D, why give up the inner lane like that, just for a risky move...?

    All the things that happen after that dosent look good, I give you that. But to be fair, that D didn't deserve a better outcome, but if it could look abit more realistic, I wouldn’t mind.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Look brainiacs, the reason I went for the hit was that stick on stick contact did absolutely nothing to dislodge the puck. Its CPU Bergeron after all. You don't see it in the video but it was useless all with CSS and all, and then the hit just didn't stick to the CPU guy for 'some' reason, it just slipped by. And the icing on the cake was what happened then as you see in the video.

    You get these moments in Squad Battles where you can see from afar that the CPU is gonna score no matter what you do.

    I love it when all the specialist gather here criticising my bad defence play, when obviously that was not the point of the video, the POINT was that sticks go through bodies ALL THE TIME when it suits the CPU. The situation is slightly less bad with human players, but it is there, looking you straight in the eye if you care to recognize it. Many people are fine with it. I am not one of those people. Nope.
  • You can sit here on D and have this outcome over and over again, including pucks going through your players and sticks, but when you actually touch the puck and do something with it the other team's players have a 10-foot radius block where the puck WILL NOT pass through no matter what you do. You can't saucer pass it, regular pass it, chip it, dump it, etc because "the game" will not allow it. "The game" will actually force your player with the puck to spin his body/stick right into danger to assure that the other team gets it right back.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    Thats a good example of how you not should play D, why give up the inner lane like that, just for a risky move...?

    All the things that happen after that dosent look good, I give you that. But to be fair, that D didn't deserve a better outcome, but if it could look abit more realistic, I wouldn’t mind.

    because of the poor animations in this game i somewhat agree that this is a good example of a risky move.

    In real life? this is not a risky move, its called hockey. you would never just skate side by side like that in that area. you would absolutely knock him off the puck.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    Thats a good example of how you not should play D, why give up the inner lane like that, just for a risky move...?

    All the things that happen after that dosent look good, I give you that. But to be fair, that D didn't deserve a better outcome, but if it could look abit more realistic, I wouldn’t mind.

    because of the poor animations in this game i somewhat agree that this is a good example of a risky move.

    In real life? this is not a risky move, its called hockey. you would never just skate side by side like that in that area. you would absolutely knock him off the puck.

    Yup no question there.

    But thats the thing, we can only pretend to play hockey, we will never get all the way to hockey, but pretty close.

    But to be there, it's importen to understand how the game work, not just how hockey is played outside in the real world. But to both know hockey good and how mechanics works in this game, should be a deadly combo.
  • People still defending this bc they have no thumbs and want it to be easy as possible to score even if the game is totally unbalanced. Instead of saying play better defence, why not get better thumbs so you can make the game balanced and playing foward requiring skill.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1563 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Look brainiacs, the reason I went for the hit was that stick on stick contact did absolutely nothing to dislodge the puck.

    You should provide us video of your poke check and DSS not working.

    I make the same mistake you did here - going for a hit, missing, and having the puck carrier maintain possession:

    QDBuGCv.gif

    Am I salty that he can just run his stick through the boards to negate my hit? Not at all. I'm aware that the boards don't disrupt possession of the puck. I know this. I went for a hit and missed. End of story.
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    You don't see it in the video but it was useless all with CSS and all, and then the hit just didn't stick to the CPU guy for 'some' reason

    Please don't take this as condescending, but can you provide us video of DSS not working?


    I love it when all the specialist gather here criticising my bad defence play, when obviously that was not the point of the video, the POINT was that sticks go through bodies ALL THE TIME when it suits the CPU. The situation is slightly less bad with human players, but it is there, looking you straight in the eye if you care to recognize it. Many people are fine with it. I am not one of those people. Nope.

    There have been explanations as to why sticks go through bodies and then become non-interactive.

    Again - your defensive play was not ideal here. Not saying it was bad - but you need to admit you made a mistake going for such a big hit. Not to mention, there was no 'timing' with your hit at all - you are just holding the hit button. You need to time it - in my opinion - to get the desired effect.

    In the scenario in the video you posted - you should be using DSS. You say it didn't work but didn't provide that part of the video, so it's hard for us to tell you if the game is at fault.

    Of course the goal is awful.

    1rk1Sqa.png


    The shooting animation playing out with no regard to having a defender on top of the shooter.. yep.. that's bad.

    But the missed hit opened that opportunity up.
  • It is as big of a problem when playing against the cpu on superstar. I score almost every time with ai skill set on 6..
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Look brainiacs, the reason I went for the hit was that stick on stick contact did absolutely nothing to dislodge the puck.

    You should provide us video of your poke check and DSS not working.

    I make the same mistake you did here - going for a hit, missing, and having the puck carrier maintain possession:

    QDBuGCv.gif

    Am I salty that he can just run his stick through the boards to negate my hit? Not at all. I'm aware that the boards don't disrupt possession of the puck. I know this. I went for a hit and missed. End of story.
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    You don't see it in the video but it was useless all with CSS and all, and then the hit just didn't stick to the CPU guy for 'some' reason

    Please don't take this as condescending, but can you provide us video of DSS not working?


    I love it when all the specialist gather here criticising my bad defence play, when obviously that was not the point of the video, the POINT was that sticks go through bodies ALL THE TIME when it suits the CPU. The situation is slightly less bad with human players, but it is there, looking you straight in the eye if you care to recognize it. Many people are fine with it. I am not one of those people. Nope.

    There have been explanations as to why sticks go through bodies and then become non-interactive.

    Again - your defensive play was not ideal here. Not saying it was bad - but you need to admit you made a mistake going for such a big hit. Not to mention, there was no 'timing' with your hit at all - you are just holding the hit button. You need to time it - in my opinion - to get the desired effect.

    In the scenario in the video you posted - you should be using DSS. You say it didn't work but didn't provide that part of the video, so it's hard for us to tell you if the game is at fault.

    Of course the goal is awful.

    1rk1Sqa.png


    The shooting animation playing out with no regard to having a defender on top of the shooter.. yep.. that's bad.

    But the missed hit opened that opportunity up.

    the fact that you can even miss the hit in that GIF is ridiculous. you are in perfect position along the boards with this guy, shoulder to shoulder. Easy rub out in real life. Now it is possible he could fight through it and retain possession but usually the defender would also still be in great position. One major problem in this game is to rub out a defender, without using the over powered hip check, you go through this wonky animation like you see in the GIF. If it fails you are usually left way out of position and now completely burned.

    Another example of where offense has a lot of advantages which is why i don't always go for hits in what should be obvious and easy body checking situations.
  • I never trust the board, you never know what's about to happen when the puck and/if the player comes out of there....

    Its like a deep and dark ocean...
  • the fact that you can even miss the hit in that GIF is ridiculous. you are in perfect position along the boards with this guy, shoulder to shoulder.


    I disagree. I held down the hit button for a long while before actually being in a good position for the hit to happen. That was mistake #1.

    He correctly anticipates the bad hit (mistake #2) and quickly maneuvers his player to avoid it. I have no gripes because he took action to evade the hit and was rewarded.



  • the fact that you can even miss the hit in that GIF is ridiculous. you are in perfect position along the boards with this guy, shoulder to shoulder.


    I disagree. I held down the hit button for a long while before actually being in a good position for the hit to happen. That was mistake #1.

    He correctly anticipates the bad hit (mistake #2) and quickly maneuvers his player to avoid it. I have no gripes because he took action to evade the hit and was rewarded.



    i'm not talking this games bad mechanics, i'm talking real life. yes i fully understand how that happened in game.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Please don't take this as condescending, but can you provide us video of DSS not working?

    I could, but I won't. That is not relevant. I made the video to show what I think is a huge issue with this game, as I have said at least a couple of times. (and indeed what I have been saying for many years).

    That is all. I am not going to get side-tracked no matter how much you want to distract us from this very real issue.

    The way I see it, EA created a big problem with this mechanism. So they decided sticks and bodies can't be solid all the time, because players have very limited control on stick use. You can only do certain things (poke, stick-lift, DSS, block) without the puck, and rest of the time the stick is more or less static and not relevant. And even with the said functions, sticks have very limited movement. Rest of the time the stick is out of our control right?

    Another thing a player cant' control is where the opponent moves, so as result we get unpredictable interactions with sticks & bodies against sticks & bodies. Something like this. So to 'solve' this, EA made sticks and bodies go from solid to immaterial in certain situations, mostly when the defending player is not actively using his actions (poke, stick-lift, DSS, block).

    Note that this concerns ONLY the guy without the puck, and this is why it's such a big deal. As you can't control you stick except by your player's position or the active stick actions, your stick can often clip through bodies and sticks. All you need to do is bring your player so close to the opponent (or the opponent comes close to you) with puck that your stick touches them, dont' do anything active (because you don't want to risk a penalty maybe, or maybe you have done something, and you're between animations), and you lose your power to physically affect sticks and the puck! So the opponent's stick & the puck can slip through your body. Little does it help that you regain solidness after this, as we saw in the video, because usually the puck carrier is able to pick the puck before you, as his stick is already very near. And he can go in his merry way.

    Like I said, this is way worse when playing against the CPU, because it always 'knows' what happens and where the puck is going to be. There is no 'human error' factor coded for the CPU. That's why I find it simply annoying to play against CPU.

    But this happens with human opponent's too. in 1v1 modes, you have 4 AI controlled players, so the likelihood of such things happening is great. In EASHL the chance is smaller, since ideally all players are in human control and therefore limited by what we can do. But it happens, and I don't think it's acceptable at all.

    Imagine any other game with such clipping happening. That would be a accidental and coding issue, and they'd fix it as soon as possible, wouldn't they? I can only think of one quivalent thing done deliberately, in some online racing games they don't allow cars clipping each other (at least in certain situation) to prevent players taking other cars out by crashing (deliberately or not). Or maybe as a stretch, in FPS friendly fire can be off, but even these can be turned off/on.

    In NHL, it's working as intended, and many people aren't even bothered too much by it, because you know why demand anything too difficult from the devs, right? So we settle for what they deign to give us.




    Post edited by Sgt_Kelso on
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Please don't take this as condescending, but can you provide us video of DSS not working?

    I could, but I won't. That is not relevant. I made the video to show what I think is a huge issue with this game, as I have said at least a couple of times. (and indeed what I have been saying for many years).

    That is all. I am not going to get side-tracked no matter how much you want to distract us from this very real issue.

    The way I see it, EA created a big problem with this mechanism. So they decided sticks and bodies can't be solid all the time, because players have very limited control on stick use. You can only do certain things (poke, stick-lift, DSS, block) without the puck, and rest of the time the stick is more or less static and not relevant. And even with the said functions, sticks have very limited movement. Rest of the time the stick is out of our control right?

    Another thing a player cant' control is where the opponent moves, so as result we get unpredictable interactions with sticks & bodies against sticks & bodies. Something like this. So to 'solve' this, EA made sticks and bodies go from solid to immaterial in certain situations, mostly when the defending player is not actively using his actions (poke, stick-lift, DSS, block).

    Note that this concerns ONLY the guy without the puck, and this is why it's such a big deal. As you can't control you stick except by your player's position or the active stick actions, your stick can often clip through bodies and sticks. All you need to do is bring your player so close to the opponent (or the opponent comes close to you) with puck that your stick touches them, dont' do anything active (because you don't want to risk a penalty maybe, or maybe you have done something, and you're between animations), and you lose your power to physically affect sticks and the puck! So the opponent's stick & the puck can slip through your body. Little does it help that you regain solidness after this, as we saw in the video, because usually the puck carrier is able to pick the puck before you, as his stick is already very near. And he can go in his merry way.

    Like I said, this is way worse when playing against the CPU, because it always 'knows' what happens and where the puck is going to be. There is no 'human error' factor coded for the CPU. That's why I find it simply annoying to play against CPU.

    But this happens with human opponent's too. in 1v1 modes, you have 4 AI controlled players, so the likelihood of such things happening is great. In EASHL the chance is smaller, since ideally all players are in human control and therefore limited by what we can do. But it happens, and I don't think it's acceptable at all.

    Imagine any other game with such clipping happening. That would be a accidental and coding issue, and they'd fix it as soon as possible, wouldn't they? I can only think of one quivalent thing done deliberately, in some online racing games they don't allow cars clipping each other (at least in certain situation) to prevent players taking other cars out by crashing (deliberately or not). Or maybe as a stretch, in FPS friendly fire can be off, but even these can be turned off/on.

    In NHL, it's working as intended, and many people aren't even bothered too much by it, because you know why demand anything too difficult from the devs, right? So we settle for what they deign to give us.




    This is the issue. Weve allowed them to release minimal updates for so long that theyve become ok with doing just the bare minimum they feel they can charge 60 bucks for because they know theyll rake in the HUT sales like usual. Until people stop wasting 200 bucks a week on useless cards (because lets face it the attributes are manipulated), ea sees this series as a sales success and wont even try. Why would you if you could put in a half effort and a fraction of the money that you should to justify a AAA price every year, when you're turning more profit than ever?

    It makes sense from a business standpoint, but as a customer, it is about as shady as it gets.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1563 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

    I could, but I won't.

    Okay but it's hard to take your arguments seriously when you're actively refusing to provide video to show what you're talking about.

    You claim these things are so prevalent in the game.. so why refuse to show it so we can maybe get some movement in fixing the issues?
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    But I did show the video of what I want to talk about. Too bad it isn't what YOU want to talk about. Stop mis-directing the discussion, please.
    Post edited by Sgt_Kelso on
  • KidShowtime1867
    1563 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    But I did show the video of what I want to talk about. Too bad it isn't what YOU want to talk about. Stop mis-directing the discussion, please.

    Stop trying to make it seem like I'm mis-directing the discussion.

    I'm not.

    I'm asking you to back up your claims with some video. That's it man. Just so we can see exactly what you're claiming. I would think if you really want these issues fixed, you'd oblige.

  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    But I did show the video of what I want to talk about. Too bad it isn't what YOU want to talk about. Stop mis-directing the discussion, please.

    Stop trying to make it seem like I'm mis-directing the discussion.

    I'm not.

    I'm asking you to back up your claims with some video. That's it man. Just so we can see exactly what you're claiming. I would think if you really want these issues fixed, you'd oblige.

    Problem is, when videos are posted, were just told were doing it wrong. If thats the case and we need to throw the fundamentals of hockey out the window to be successful, then the game needs to have a training mode for how these mechanics are intended to be used so we dont consistently feel like were being jerked around by shoddy mechanics.
  • EA_Aljo
    2612 posts EA Community Manager
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    But I did show the video of what I want to talk about. Too bad it isn't what YOU want to talk about. Stop mis-directing the discussion, please.

    Stop trying to make it seem like I'm mis-directing the discussion.

    I'm not.

    I'm asking you to back up your claims with some video. That's it man. Just so we can see exactly what you're claiming. I would think if you really want these issues fixed, you'd oblige.

    Problem is, when videos are posted, were just told were doing it wrong. If thats the case and we need to throw the fundamentals of hockey out the window to be successful, then the game needs to have a training mode for how these mechanics are intended to be used so we dont consistently feel like were being jerked around by shoddy mechanics.

    We don't always blame the player. There have been many times the issues brought up by the community have been bugs.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!