EA Forums - Banner

EA...are you fixing this crap???

Replies

• EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    But I did show the video of what I want to talk about. Too bad it isn't what YOU want to talk about. Stop mis-directing the discussion, please.

Stop trying to make it seem like I'm mis-directing the discussion.

I'm not.

I'm asking you to back up your claims with some video. That's it man. Just so we can see exactly what you're claiming. I would think if you really want these issues fixed, you'd oblige.

Problem is, when videos are posted, were just told were doing it wrong. If thats the case and we need to throw the fundamentals of hockey out the window to be successful, then the game needs to have a training mode for how these mechanics are intended to be used so we dont consistently feel like were being jerked around by shoddy mechanics.

We don't always blame the player. There have been many times the issues brought up by the community have been bugs.

My question still stands though. You alot of times say its due to how were doing things. If im making legit hockey plays but the mechanics are programmed differently for design reasons, wouldnt it make sense to have some kind of training so we can use those properly instead of complaining that we were robbed? If you're going to make a hockey game winnable based on mechanics and not hockey knowledge, itd be very nice to know how those mechanics work in lieu of what would normally be expected of a player in that position. Just a thought.
    But I did show the video of what I want to talk about. Too bad it isn't what YOU want to talk about. Stop mis-directing the discussion, please.

I'm not.

I'm asking you to back up your claims with some video. That's it man. Just so we can see exactly what you're claiming. I would think if you really want these issues fixed, you'd oblige.

Problem is, when videos are posted, were just told were doing it wrong. If thats the case and we need to throw the fundamentals of hockey out the window to be successful, then the game needs to have a training mode for how these mechanics are intended to be used so we dont consistently feel like were being jerked around by shoddy mechanics.

We don't always blame the player. There have been many times the issues brought up by the community have been bugs.

My question still stands though. You alot of times say its due to how were doing things. If im making legit hockey plays but the mechanics are programmed differently for design reasons, wouldnt it make sense to have some kind of training so we can use those properly instead of complaining that we were robbed? If you're going to make a hockey game winnable based on mechanics and not hockey knowledge, itd be very nice to know how those mechanics work in lieu of what would normally be expected of a player in that position. Just a thought.

That's a problem in itself that training is needed to play hockey EA's way rather than how it's really played. If the two styles are that far apart on the spectrum then THAT is exactly where to start when fixing the issues. If the mechanics of the game don't allow you to be successful playing a realistic style of hockey then what are we buying and playing to begin with???

Right now we basically have a game with all the licensing (teams, players, logos, etc) with EA and NHL stamped all over it where the microtransactions are front and center over everything else.

I'm not.

That's a problem in itself that training is needed to play hockey EA's way rather than how it's really played. If the two styles are that far apart on the spectrum then THAT is exactly where to start when fixing the issues. If the mechanics of the game don't allow you to be successful playing a realistic style of hockey then what are we buying and playing to begin with???

Right now we basically have a game with all the licensing (teams, players, logos, etc) with EA and NHL stamped all over it where the microtransactions are front and center over everything else.

Oh i agree. For years this has been a complaint but its become clear that its never gonna change so at the very least they should tell people how to play THEIR version of hockey.

I'm not.

Oh i agree. For years this has been a complaint but its become clear that its never gonna change so at the very least they should tell people how to play THEIR version of hockey.

They can take THEIR version of hockey and stick it where the sun don't shine. Seems to be a pattern though as I am hearing a lot of the same issues over at Madden as well. Not sure about FIFA as soccer really isn't my jam.

Color me fully disappointed for 7 years running though. Gets worse every year.

I'm not.

They can take THEIR version of hockey and stick it where the sun don't shine. Seems to be a pattern though as I am hearing a lot of the same issues over at Madden as well. Not sure about FIFA as soccer really isn't my jam.

Color me fully disappointed for 7 years running though. Gets worse every year.

It's EA's thing. In FIFA the successful gameplay relies on straight running and circus tricks, which is just wrong in so many ways. It's like they don't trust the actual sports to be good enough. Thankfully there are a simulator alternative in PES, but not without the cost of full licenses. Maybe it's just product of our time where individualism and self promotion are rated higher than actual teamplay. Such a shame.
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

I'm not.

I've been able to post a lot of videos of things I don't like about the game. If someone offers suggestions on where I could've made better decisions, I am all ears.

I see people post video here and instead of being open to hearing where things went wrong, they just want to hear: "Yup, game is trash. You're right. EA sux"

but when they're met with: "DSS might've worked better here" or "The reason this happened was because certain objects' geography is non-interactive when X crosses X" - they just cry: "quit attacking me" or "yea but THAT'S NOT HOCKEY"

So it's all nice and good to act like you're being victimized when posting something you don't like about the game, but it just goes to show that - for some users (definitely not all users) - their point in posting a video is to get people to agree with them that whatever it is they're showing is 'broken'. They don't want to hear anything other than that.

• EA_Aljo
    2160 posts EA Community Manager
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

I'm not.

Our version of hockey is based on the real-world version of the sport. However, it's a video game and is never going to be a 1:1 recreation of it. This game gives you the tools to play a more realistic game, but many people's "win at all costs" mentality means they choose to use what works for them as opposed to what you'd see in real hockey. No matter how the game is made, people will still find ways to play it in a manner that doesn't quite resemble the pace and flow of the real sport.

I'll say again, I find it interesting that so many here want less automation and more manual control as well as having the game be more sim, but many of you are complaining the game won't auto-intercept passes. It goes against a lot of what we see here and continues to show that a more arcade-style game may actually be preferred. As we add more realistic mechanics, people complain about them. Those of you that know hockey should also understand how you're not going to get a clean shot off if the player is being interrupted by defenders. In our game, due to technical reasons, the stick will pass through players. It's frustrating, I get that, but it doesn't change the reality that you can't get a good shot off if another player's stick is hindering that. You all feel there are mechanics that need to be explained, but this should also be pretty obvious to those that understand the sport. You'll get a better shot when you have the time and space to do so.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1379 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Our version of hockey is based on the real-world version of the sport. However, it's a video game and is never going to be a 1:1 recreation of it. This game gives you the tools to play a more realistic game, but many people's "win at all costs" mentality means they choose to use what works for them as opposed to what you'd see in real hockey. No matter how the game is made, people will still find ways to play it in a manner that doesn't quite resemble the pace and flow of the real sport.

Exactly.

When NHL 94 was released, it was released as is. No patches. No tuners. No 'feedback from the GameChangers'. None of that crap.

You either liked it, or you hated it. You played it because you enjoyed it, or you didn't play it because you didn't enjoy it.

End of story.

None of this nonsense we see these days where people playing the game are harassing the publisher/developer online the instant they see anything out of the realm of what THEY feel the game should be.

As we add more realistic mechanics, people complain about them. Those of you that know hockey should also understand how you're not going to get a clean shot off if the player is being interrupted by defenders. In our game, due to technical reasons, the stick will pass through players. It's frustrating, I get that, but it doesn't change the reality that you can't get a good shot off if another player's stick is hindering that. You all feel there are mechanics that need to be explained, but this should also be pretty obvious to those that understand the sport. You'll get a better shot when you have the time and space to do so.

Couldn't agree more.

There are mechanics in this game that certain people on these forums THINK they have a firm grasp on but then post videos and argue about things in a way that demonstrates they clearly don't. And pointing this out to them results in them playing 'victim' and crying about being attacked.

I absolutely love the onus the development team continues to put on the user - especially on the defensive side of the puck this year.

The angst online about cross-crease goals just goes to show that despite the claims from these same people that their hockey IQ is through the roof - they fail to understand simple defensive strategies that quell the exact same scenarios they come here to rage about.

This post won't be popular and won't get all the 'likes' that other posts do that cater to the mentality that "It's the game that's wrong, not the way I play it" will get.

But that's expected. Simply put: A vocal minority of players refuse to admit they're simply not as skilled at some mechanics as they think - and rather than post a video to get some tips on how to play better - they post videos trying to drum up 'support' to change the game to fit their personal play style.

This is why I still come here. I don't want the game to get dumbed down to fit someone else's 'hockey IQ'.

I'm of the belief that games are art. These are artists behind the scenes and what they put out may or may not appeal to you.... and that's totally fine!

But to cry and moan about how the piece of art you bought doesn't fit the reality you crave and demand the artist change it in order to do so.. it's just absurd.

EA has been putting out hockey games for almost 30 years. I trust their vision and despite the fact I have long-standing gripes about areas of the game - I don't demand they be changed. I trust the process and I cater my game to the way the developers intended people to play it.

• Sega82mega
    2340 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    If people wanna play hockey I dont really see the point in going after that cross crease a million times in one game. Sounds more like people want to win games no mather how ugly it look.

21 defenetly gives you a fair chance to play real hockey.

And to thoose that disagree by some reason, I would love to see a video of 'you' trying to play hockey.

I think it more has to do with people dont really know how to get along with the game mechanics we got as tools in this game, it has been mistreated for so many years now, and it dosent gonna change over 1 day.

* And how to use vision control to defend yourself in a proper way seem to be the biggest problem. Probebly cause you never really cared about it earlier. And now - If you don't - cross creases will never stop to rain over you.

And for a guy that always liked to play as hockey look-alike as I could, I cant help but to feel abit 'who's laughing now..' to all that blame the game for letting in goals. But if people want to have advice, I would be more then happy to help, as much as I can.

Cause either if you bealive me or not, all I wish for all of us hockey fans is to have a nice game to enjoy our favorite sport.
    Post edited by Sega82mega on
  • well i mean, how can you expect good gameplay when the rest of the game itself is broken lol, not even the gameplay

its a shame. the skating felt better this year. hitting felt a lot worse. but i guess you lose some, you win some. with this series so far its been more lose, less win, with the bugs and missing features in BAP and FM, but thats the way the puck bounces i guess. never in your favour

I'm not.

I'll say again, I find it interesting that so many here want less automation and more manual control as well as having the game be more sim, but many of you are complaining the game won't auto-intercept passes. It goes against a lot of what we see here and continues to show that a more arcade-style game may actually be preferred. As we add more realistic mechanics, people complain about them. Those of you that know hockey should also understand how you're not going to get a clean shot off if the player is being interrupted by defenders. In our game, due to technical reasons, the stick will pass through players. It's frustrating, I get that, but it doesn't change the reality that you can't get a good shot off if another player's stick is hindering that. You all feel there are mechanics that need to be explained, but this should also be pretty obvious to those that understand the sport. You'll get a better shot when you have the time and space to do so.

Quite the opposite. Give me a mechanic to have to pick off passes manually by my own control, that way if i mess up i know it was my fault and not some toss up of numbers in coding. I'd much prefer this to having to rely on a mashup of numbers decide for me. Sure, it is stopped the other way too but when it gets by or through me, I feel like that outcome is totally out of my control. Not always. I make mistakes, but ill own up to those.

I'm not.

We aren't complaining that we can't auto intercept passes, we are complaining that bad passes go through defenders at an alarming rate. I'm sure we would all be fine with a manual intercept option but we don't have one, we are left with the hopes and dreams approach versus a pass.
  • jrago73 wrote: »
    bad passes go through defenders at an alarming rate..

But what are those defenders actively doing?

Again - please don't be offended or feel like I'm attacking you - but - can you provide a video clip of exactly this; 'bad passes going through defenders'

I just want to see what you feel that means.
  • Yeah I wanna see too, not beacuse I don't bealive you guys when you say it, more that I wanna se - exactly - whats going on..

Only time passes going through defenders for me.. Or at least, I get the feeling of that, is when im really close of losing control over my defender and the puck carrier is about in the same 'desperate mode' and he throws away a really fast pass, almost alongside the goal line, and non of my players has the time to react and he 1times it into my net. This can happen with alot of traffic infront of my goalie and it feels wrong, forced as hell.

I cant do nothing about it and it sucks, but it happen beacuse of a reason.

I'm not.

We aren't complaining that we can't auto intercept passes, we are complaining that bad passes go through defenders at an alarming rate. I'm sure we would all be fine with a manual intercept option but we don't have one, we are left with the hopes and dreams approach versus a pass.

I want to add something to this. Just yesterday I played a game where I had an AI and my human controlled skater BOTH up in the grill of a guy receiving a cross-crease pass, and I mean right up hard in his face, literally, and he released a perfect one-timer shot for a goal. I'd like to know how in real life he could even get a wind-up or his footing let alone score a perfect one-timer? I hit the quit button on that game because that was the final middle finger to me in a list of smaller fingers that were happening all game long.

Again - please don't be offended or feel like I'm attacking you - but - can you provide a video clip of exactly this; 'bad passes going through defenders'

No.

1. I'm usually only playing when I have multiple friends on and I'm not making everybody wait while I go searching around for clips to record.

2. No good would come of it. If I complained that my car exploded when I turned the ignition and posted a video here the experts would turn it into an argument about my grip on the key. I've seen VERY few of these posted video conversations be productive and/or stay on point.

3. I'm old and don't feel like jumping through the hoops and don't care if there are people who don't believe me, no offense intended.

Disregard my opinion if you must but you don't see me asking for videos of interceptions working correctly yet I still know it happens at times.
    jrago73 wrote: »

2. No good would come of it. If I complained that my car exploded when I turned the ignition and posted a video here the experts would turn it into an argument about my grip on the key.

Hehe not - exactly - the same.. But I like your parallell anyway... 😏
  • This whole conversation about how to play EA's way vs real hockey is hilarious to me because in NHL 10-12 the game felt SOOO close to real hockey.
    To the point where we sucked bad and I asked my team to to to training mode and work on our vision and practicing 1v1 as defense and turns out that when we started playing real hockey, we climbed the ladder like crazy till we reached the top 5s. Many ways to score like real hockey, solid tools to defend like real hockey, rewarded for playing smart like real hockey but also having good mechanics. It was literally perfection or as close as they ever got. The problem is the majority of people didnt get it so what would happen is the good teams would play intense 2-1 games between each others but then face the lower teams and destroy them 20-0 (or whatever the score reached before they quit)

But again, real hockey...If I put an nhl team vs a peewee team, its not ending well. over the year, this game because less and less of a hockey game and more and more of an arcade game meant to keep everybody engaged and not losing by a metric ton of goals....ironically because they keep talking about more realistic hockey....sure the graphics look more realistic but thats it.

The TPS is an actual bane in this game because it imposes limitations that often the NHL players have the ability to work around. You cant control every inch of your body in a video game so trying to simulate too deeply only creates issues. So on one hand, it looks "better" animation wise but on the other, the actual gameplay looks awful and nowhere close to what an NHL game would look like. So frustrating to watch this trainwreck each year.
  • EA_Aljo
    2160 posts EA Community Manager
    edited November 2020

2. No good would come of it. If I complained that my car exploded when I turned the ignition and posted a video here the experts would turn it into an argument about my grip on the key. I've seen VERY few of these posted video conversations be productive and/or stay on point.

This is why you're seeing less interaction from devs here. The idea was to give you all additional insight into how the game works, but it was very frequently met with disbelief. We've admitted when issues were due to bugs or it's just something unintended that shouldn't be occurring.

This is why you're seeing less interaction from devs here. The idea was to give you all additional insight into how the game works, but it was very frequently met with disbelief. We've admitted when issues were due to bugs or it's just something unintended that shouldn't be occurring.

Aljo, that comment wasn't meant for the devs if that was how you interpreted my "expert" comment.

Either way I understand and I don't blame them. For me personally even if I didn't say anything or didn't agree with the logic that got them to a decision I still appreciated Ben's explanations and could apply how the game "thinks" or technical causes of a problem to improve my game for the current situation.

Like I hated the "not ready for the pass" argument last year, but at least after Ben explained it I knew if I cheated closer to the recipient I would see better results defending a pass.