EA Forums - Banner

What does strength stat actually do?

We know the basics for it. But we have NEVER been properly told how much it boost the other stats and what stats are affected by raising it.

> @EA_Aljo EA_Aljo EA COMMUNITY MANAGER June 25, 2020
> Sorry, everyone. I don't have a list of everything the Strength attribute applies to and I don't want to just speculate. I'm trying to get a comprehensive list from a dev as we'd like to document all the attributes. Should that happen, I'll post an update.

And of course he never came back with the information that a lot of people has been asking for years now.

Replies

• EA_Aljo
    2142 posts EA Community Manager
    We know the basics for it. But we have NEVER been properly told how much it boost the other stats and what stats are affected by raising it.

> @EA_Aljo EA_Aljo EA COMMUNITY MANAGER June 25, 2020
    > Sorry, everyone. I don't have a list of everything the Strength attribute applies to and I don't want to just speculate. I'm trying to get a comprehensive list from a dev as we'd like to document all the attributes. Should that happen, I'll post an update.

And of course he never came back with the information that a lot of people has been asking for years now.

I never got an accurate description of everything strength applies to. This is why I never updated that post. If I get that information, I'll post it.
  • > @EA_Aljo said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I never got an accurate description of everything strength applies to. This is why I never updated that post. If I get that information, I'll post it.

It is just baffling to me why it seems to be such a difficult task? Is the communication really that bad between the branches that it will take years to get such information? This question has been asked multiple times in the past but for whatever reason it always comes to a dead end.

Its not a huge issue but i still would like to know exact information what i am getting when i am investing into something.
  • Follisimo
    1032 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    > @EA_Aljo said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I never got an accurate description of everything strength applies to. This is why I never updated that post. If I get that information, I'll post it.

It is just baffling to me why it seems to be such a difficult task? Is the communication really that bad between the branches that it will take years to get such information? This question has been asked multiple times in the past but for whatever reason it always comes to a dead end.

Its not a huge issue but i still would like to know exact information what i am getting when i am investing into something.

It kind of is a huge issue as people have asked year after year and it falls on deaf ears. It's like they want to hide things from people and keep them in the dark instead of just being open about what the attributes are supposed to do. It really can't be that hard and it's not like we are asking for the formula to determine exactly how it works like MMOs do.

• Follisimo wrote: »
    > @EA_Aljo said:
    > (Quote)
    >

It kind of is a huge issue as people have asked year after year and it falls on deaf ears. It's like they want to hide things from people and keep them in the dark instead of just being open about what the attributes are supposed to do. It really can't be that hard and it's not like we are asking for the formula to determine exactly how it works like MMOs do.

I’d love to actually see the formulas. It’d make building players and picking classes mean more. They should probably simplify the attribute system imo. Why is strength and body checking a thing? Is body checking technique lol? Imo strength stat + size + speed should determine a hit success, I don’t understand where “body checking comes in. If I have 99 strength and 0 body checking, can I can hit someone because I have no technique? Makes no sense lol. Also, does strength help mitigate stumbling, or is that solely balance?

I’d like to see the formulas on exactly what everything does. Puck control vs balance when it comes to puck retention on a hit. What’s more important? Puck control also seems to be used for puck pickups, why is that not hand-eye? If I have good hand-eye and balance, I weak hit should result in me not stumbling much and retaining possession right? Why do we need a special “puck control” rating? Just seems like there’s way too many attributes at play on any given play. To that point, why is there not “forwards” and “backwards” specific skating stats? Patrick Kane is a heck of a skater, but he cannot play NHL defense. The skating technique is just different. I’d rather see that then “puck control” and “body checking” when we have the attribute already that can determine those outcomes without a specific stat for them.

The awareness stats seems like they effect sims mostly but they also seem to be involved with puck pickups. Why? Am I better at picking up pucks magically because it’s the offensive/defensive zone lol? Can we remove those from “gameplay” formulas cause they don’t make much sense. I’d rather see stick checking and hand-eye determine a pass interception chance, as the “awareness” should simply mean wether the passing lane is in view of the character imo. To that point, what does stick checking do? Is it poke accuracy, power, both? Does it effect stick lifts? How important is it with interceptions if at all? If we don’t get rid of some of these, can we at least streamline some names?

Hand-eye = “offensive hand-eye” (helps with tips, puck pickups, puck retention.)

Stick checking = “defensive hand-eye” (helps with poke accuracy, stick lift accuracy, pass interceptions)

Strength = “strength” (helps with checking power, stick lift power, reduces stick lift recovery time after having your stick lifted, tieup success rates, tieup escape rates)

Balance = “balance” (stumble mitigation, shot power retention when shooting from weird release points, shot accuracy retention when shooting from weird release points, fall mitigation when radically turning with or without puck)

Obviously these are just some quick things I typed out but we need specific definitions and how they play into each success rate if we truly want to make the MOBA class work.
  • If we actually knew the formulas then we could obviously call them out more on stuff and I doubt they would like that very much. But for an understanding part it would be amazing.

You want some things simplified while I kind of want some extra attributes linked.

Offense -
    Backhand Acc + Pwr

Defense-
    Tie-Ups (assuming they rework them to be more useful in the future)

Athletics-
    Backskating Speed (feel like this would be important as they could have dmen have more backskating speed over forwards and also maybe affect LT-ing and not hurt dmen)

If we actually knew the formulas then we could obviously call them out more on stuff and I doubt they would like that very much. But for an understanding part it would be amazing.

You want some things simplified while I kind of want some extra attributes linked.

Offense -
    Backhand Acc + Pwr

Defense-
    Tie-Ups (assuming they rework them to be more useful in the future)

Athletics-
    Backskating Speed (feel like this would be important as they could have dmen have more backskating speed over forwards and also maybe affect LT-ing and not hurt dmen)

Oh yeah, I like those additions! I guess I’d like to see both. Simply some stuff that overlaps, add-in more granular rating where it makes sense like backhanded shots and backwards skating. Tieups is an interesting one cause part of me says that could just be worked out via strength/stick lift but there’s another part of me that would like to see a stat for both tieup/board play success rates. Either way, I like your thinking.

• I kind of want the ability like in FIFA where you can contain but in hockeys case stay glued more to the man in front of the net unless they actually skate a good enough distance away. Obviously it would work better in the 6s with controlled players, but maybe they could implement the dmen AI being more active in front of the net pushing and shoving without drawing penalties to help prevent the chance of guarded one-timers.

We've all had so many cases where our skater is literally right there with the one-time shooter and nothing happens except them getting a shot off. Now for me I'd want that ability to hold a button and my player is constantly trying to jockey for position on the players strong side to keep him from getting an easy scoring chance.

Obviously an attacking player can counter this by constantly moving around trying to regain position but it's better than anything we currently have in the game as a defensive tool.

• Strength allows you to shrug off hits easier - every little bit helps for the sniper and playmaker builds
  • Strength should also play a role in passing but I don't think it does.

It would be nice to see the speed of backhand passes determined by a combination of both the passing and strength attributes.

Or we can just leave it the way it is and watch Clayton Keller send lasers across the ice off his backhand.
    > @EA_Aljo said:
    > (Quote)
    >

Even if that is what you were asking, it shouldn't be hard to provide.

• 32Doak wrote: »
    Strength should also play a role in passing but I don't think it does.

It would be nice to see the speed of backhand passes determined by a combination of both the passing and strength attributes.

Or we can just leave it the way it is and watch Clayton Keller send lasers across the ice off his backhand.

i know what you are trying to say but thats just going too deep. If you put points into passing, you should have really good passing. It shouldn't be things like oh you also need good strength to do hard passes and good hand eye to do accurate passes, etc...

I used to be told that strength made everything better. harder shots, passes, better body checking, faster skating, blah blah blah. but i always said no way. If thats the case its insanely over powered stat and should be maxed out.

But again it begs the question what does it affect? I can't for the life of me think of anything that doesn't already have its own stat.
    > @EA_Aljo said:
    > (Quote)
    >

Bc devs don't even know what it does. I really hope 2k makes NHL games for next gen.
  • If I remember from the one year they actually posted the attributes I think it was a checking modifier, balance modifier, fighting modifier and effected ability to pin or escape pins. Its been a while but I doubt its changed.
  • Follisimo
    1032 posts Member
    edited November 2020
  • EA_Aljo
    2142 posts EA Community Manager
    Follisimo wrote: »

We don't want to sticky these because they applied to the previous generation of games. While much of it may still apply, we don't have confirmation on that. So, we can't pass this off as definitely how the attributes work.

I was pretty close.
    Thanks for posting, that was the thread I was thinking of.