EA Forums - Banner

Let's Talk: Patch 1.2

Replies

• And fun thing with the 3 stars after the game.. Not much but still important for the greater feeling.
  • [quote="Sega82mega;c-2166621"]And fun thing with the 3 stars after the game.. Not much but still important for the greater feeling. [/quote]

What do you mean? Do they actually show the three stars skate out on to the ice like the old days?
  • It plays very well, I have been impressed. I did find one huge issue I'll post about in a minute, but I want to keep this thread positive.

EA added a lot of nice little touches in this patch. I like what I am seeing.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    And fun thing with the 3 stars after the game.. Not much but still important for the greater feeling.

What do you mean? Do they actually show the three stars skate out on to the ice like the old days?

It is not like that, after the game in the menu where they used to list the three stars they now have a presentation with the third star and a video clip, the second star and a video clip, and the first star with a video clip. It is actually really nice and unexpected. I will try to grab a video of it when I play next time if I remember if no one else beats me to it.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    And fun thing with the 3 stars after the game.. Not much but still important for the greater feeling.

They start with the 3th star with picture and name, then a little highlight clip from the game of that star player.

You see it from the end game screen after the game.

Pretty cool, much better then how it was.
  • Got to give kudos once in a while fellas. I played 2 games offline and imo its a lot better. AI offensively and defensively stepping up way better and more noticeable. They're cutting players off at the boards, getting sticks in the way, blocking shots, u name it.

Offensively, jumping into plays on the rush, , chasing loose pucks, going for rebounds,everything.

Goalies actually look like they are tracking the puck,following it everywhere .

Puck seems more loose on rebounds, deflections, hitting sticks,etc .

Sound of the game seems better too. Pucks hitting boards, pads, sticks. Crowd follows the play on bug hits, shots, missed chances.....

Shots also seem better. Slaps, snaps seem more realistic looking.

First game on pro, default sliders,fuul sim. Lost 4 to 3, but felt i could have win it.

Second game, on AS, default sliders, full sim, had the lead 4 to 3 in the third. Lost 7 to 4. My fault probably, but i felt if i had played better i could have won.

I like the replays playing during the intermission and the 3 stars after the game with highlights of said stars. Nice touch.

Haven't played it online yet so can't comment.

Overall, if they stay focused in this direction, this game could really be something.

Good job boys, keep the goid times rolling.....
  • nyi95 wrote: »
    Got to give kudos once in a while fellas. I played 2 games offline and imo its a lot better. AI offensively and defensively stepping up way better and more noticeable. They're cutting players off at the boards, getting sticks in the way, blocking shots, u name it.

Offensively, jumping into plays on the rush, , chasing loose pucks, going for rebounds,everything.

Sound of the game seems better too. Pucks hitting boards, pads, sticks. Crowd follows the play on bug hits, shots, missed chances.....

First game on pro, default sliders,fuul sim. Lost 4 to 3, but felt i could have win it.

Second game, on AS, default sliders, full sim, had the lead 4 to 3 in the third. Lost 7 to 4. My fault probably, but i felt if i had played better i could have won.

I like the replays playing during the intermission and the 3 stars after the game with highlights of said stars. Nice touch.

Overall, if they stay focused in this direction, this game could really be something.

Oh fun to hear from you old fella!

And I agree.. If they constant take baby steps in the same direaction, this can lead us in to a very interesting next gen era.

And im happy for the Dev team, they have taken some serious beating last couple of years, they deserve to shine abit.
  • Please excuse the mis spellings. My glasses fell off!! Lol. I'm here Sega. Reading everything everyone has to say. Just reserving comment. This one i felt i had to.

Don't forget, they're going through the same rough times you and i and the whole world are. Let's cut em some slack. I liked it enough to comment on it and give them praise.
  • nyi95 wrote: »
    Please excuse the mis spellings. My glasses fell off!! Lol. I'm here Sega. Reading everything everyone has to say. Just reserving comment. This one i felt i had to.

Don't forget, they're going through the same rough times you and i and the whole world are. Let's cut em some slack. I liked it enough to comment on it and give them praise.

While i am overall more pleased with 21 than previous years, slack is not deserved because its not just this year. That said, maybe working from home did them good because they seemed to have hit more of a sweetspot this year for the most part.
  • [quote="nyi95;c-2166637"]Got to give kudos once in a while fellas. I played 2 games offline and imo its a lot better. AI offensively and defensively stepping up way better and more noticeable. They're cutting players off at the boards, getting sticks in the way, blocking shots, u name it.

Good job boys, keep the goid times rolling.....[/quote]

Awesome reaction to the patch, I won’t be able to play till Sunday. Did you find the CPU more challenging on PRO now?
    My 2cents to make the NHL series as enjoyable as possible
  • tcnumba108 wrote: »
    nyi95 wrote: »
    Got to give kudos once in a while fellas. I played 2 games offline and imo its a lot better. AI offensively and defensively stepping up way better and more noticeable. They're cutting players off at the boards, getting sticks in the way, blocking shots, u name it.

Awesome reaction to the patch, I won’t be able to play till Sunday. Did you find the CPU more challenging on PRO now?

CPU is still too easy on pro, but too hard/way to aggressive on All Star. Wish there was a tweener.

• i played 4 squad battle games. its very hard to do like before on turnover to make a 2 on 1. i did like before the patch and i dislike now
  • goalielivesmatte
    106 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    What does "save animation improvements to various stances" mean? I thought every goalie stances was the same and no difference in animations? Wth. What stances to these "various" include?
  • it looks better. If I remember it is a first very good patch after 2 years of darkness!
    it is right way, EA!

I hope we can see some "zamboni" animation after 3 stars at the future (next patch) ;)

i will do some sliders again next week. i was not happy with this game. today is better
  • Overall very good! A lot less mindless rushes up and down. Played two ovp and there are still horrible clipping issues and poor def awareness. Here’s couple examples:

• Greyinsi wrote: »
    Overall very good! A lot less mindless rushes up and down. Played two ovp and there are still horrible clipping issues and poor def awareness. Here’s couple examples:

yes. still it is in the game.
    more pics will helpful
  • It feels abit slower, but thats a good thing, cause the shots and the physics is in a much better place now. Easier to control the player.

And you will have to work really hard now, if you trying to go for that 'coast to coast' run, you are able to stand in he's way plenty of times before he takes himself all the way to goal.

Hooks and to just glide and deke and wait for someone who will try to hit him is not near as effectively as before, and even if a quick pass and a 1timer comes out of it, the shots usally not that hard, beacuse of the low speed they get by just gliding around.

D to D feels more dangerous,(maybe Majjam agree too..) but its good, they were pretty useless before, but now, even if you don't score it often create a big mess infront of the net.

The former meta - of just sprinting mindless straight forward is hopefully on is way out and were startin to welcome a more clean hockey with some better finesse.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1578 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Played 3 Online Versus Games last night. Although I understand "6's is different" - the same mechanics still apply - minus the A.I.

The one fix for the cross-crease that never seemed to get mentioned.... GOALIES

I mistime a poke check here and allow the pass on the cross crease to happen - but the goalie bails me out. They feel so much more reliable. It's hard to explain: https://i.imgur.com/MRDbgW6.gif

Here, I get through my opponent's defender and once again, the goalie comes through: https://i.imgur.com/eGKV76E.gif

I absolutely love it, despite being robbed. I can't beleive my own ignorance, to be honest. I kept arguing about defensive tools, not buffing passive interceptions and never once considered that the goalies needed a buff. Good on EA!

Overall - it seems defenders are better able to keep step with the puck carrier. Proper positioning plays even more of a role now because you don't need to overcompensate for forwards who seemingly blast by. It also appears picking up a loose puck feels 'cleaner'.. if that makes sense:

https://i.imgur.com/bmHEdg9.gif

https://i.imgur.com/Fa21dYh.gif

I like how skates disrupt the puck more often: https://i.imgur.com/vXjlvIf.gif

I want to take a moment to show some appreciation for this very subtle but very effective puck pickup animation:

JYlUgsd.gif

A quick hockey stop to separate the defender without the feeling you're maneuvering a truck.

It wasn't just this instance where I feel that either. It feels like controlling your player is 'lighter' without a ton of momentum.

This could be a placebo, but there seems to be a subtle change where when you take control of a player or a player accepts a pass, there's less of a feeling that you have to reign in their speed or momentum; I instantly feel in control of the player I select whereas it felt you needed a few extra frames to get that feeling.

Definitely feeling more fidelity on DSS with more consistent stick/puck interaction:

https://i.imgur.com/f3YxWZc.gif

https://i.imgur.com/3biqgrZ.gif

https://i.imgur.com/kln2yN4.gif

I'm seeing some better defensive awareness from backchecking forwards. Here, I play some simply atrocious defense - trying to keep step, my opponent keeping me guessing his lateral movements, missing a hit and then suddenly exposing a 2 on 1. Luckily, you can see the A.I. correctly calculate all of that and cut off the shooter - forcing him to take a bad shot:

https://i.imgur.com/Sujfrfg.gif

VaGOgeX.png

A nice A.I. read & interception on a cross-crease:

https://i.imgur.com/lCxhnFV.gif

That said, there's still seemingly some logic missing from defending the front of the net. I made mistakes that lead to this - 100% - but the A.i. could at least be facing the right way:

https://i.imgur.com/6RzJKC9.gif

g0es2Ys.png

Here is a goal I scored that I don't like: https://i.imgur.com/z0vsmSz.gif

What I don't like is how his A.I. went for a double-team. Now, it could be his defense strategy is set to high-pressure, but I don't know if this should result in double teams down-low. Now, he did make a mistake and take control of another defender and pulled him out of position, but I just don't think I like the a.i. jumping in like that:

BB1Y5tS.png

Love the replays being shown in-between periods: iVPr8fk.png

I am definitely not a fan that this wasn't called a penalty: https://i.imgur.com/KoRtlfM.gif

Overall - I am really happy with the changes I've seen in the gameplay and presentation!

• Sega82mega
    3064 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    I sign on everything you said Kid. And good to hear that you too like this patch. Nothing is perfect, but it is perfect to have this current state of the game for the coming future fixes.

And yes everything feels abit smoother, easier to calculate what most logical will happen.

That goal you didnt like of yours, seemed like he screw that up abit himself by pushing himself out of position, but overal I think the best way to improve the game is by looking at the A.I.

And 21 is really the return of the masked man in the net.

* And yeah, strange he didn't got a penalty, only thing I can think of, is that he throws himself after the goalie had made the save, and therefore was 'first with input on the puck'.. But I have had called him out to the box.. 😏
  • Stovetop9620
    455 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Played a single game of play now. Superstar, 5 min periods, full sim:

Pros:

1. The CPU, for the first time since the steam engine was invented, beat me without "CPU cheating".
    2. Was able to vary my attacks.
    3. Goalies were better on one-timers.
    4. Had NO problem intercepting passes.
    5. A few cool pick-up animations were made better.
    6. Seemed much more fluid.
    7. Definitely better than 20.
    8. (edit) Puck seems more lively.

Cons:

1. Special teams movement still needs work, although it may have been improved.
    2. The flip dump needs work. You should only "Murphy dump" when you hold the button really long. High off the glass should be a go-to play if you are having a hard time breaking out under pressure.
    3. PLEASE MAKE FACING THE MIDDLE WHILE STOPPING A TOGGLEABLE OPTION (I know I mentioned this to @EA_Aljo , but I cannot stress enough how annoying it is when your guys auto-face).
    4. The AI has the ability, still, to make crazy no look passes under duress. It seems like they know how to manipulate the physics. I guess that is a difficulty thing but it would be nice if they abided by the same rules I do.

Overall, NHL 21 has been an improvement. This is my opinion, obviously, but I can back that up by saying after playing 1 or 2 games in a sitting I usually want more. In 20, I couldn't even stomach this game after a single period. Keep up the good work.