EA Forums - Banner

Stop lying to yourselves, cross crease is trash

Replies

• KidShowtime1867
    1839 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    TheMajjam wrote: »
    People that defend this atrocious force cross creases are forwards that have no thumbs and cant create offence any other way other than just force bad cross crease passes and get rewarded. Simple fact.

Sorry - you’re just wrong and I’ve proven it with countless examples

Do you play 6s?

I do, but I play OVP more often.

Regardless, even in 6's - there are teams who are atrocious at defending and expose themselves to 2-on-1 constantly. This is not a fault of the game - it's the result of 'top tier' teams being used to passively defending, suddenly being forced to become active defenders.

I assume that the META will evolve when people begin to understand and adapt to this change, and you'll see less and less cross-crease.

I keep repeating this and it's making me think that I'm a record.

In no way, shape, or form is the way you defend the cross-crease by poking/DSSing passes the norm in EASHL 6's. AT ALL. Please stop peddling this like you're trying to make a point. The teams that you play are bad. The examples that you use are from terrible teams, and you can tell a terrible team by the first time they try to make plays in your zone. I cannot remember the last time I have DSS'd a pass coming through the slot. I'm even thinking I've never done this. It is absolutely bad practice to do so because if you're anticipating a pass, and you get faked, and you're done for. The majority of passes that are cross-crease, that people are complaining about, have nothing to do with 2 v 1's.

Also, top tier teams don't have problems with defense. Lol. That's why they're top tier. We are a "passive" defending team and we've done just fine. We're defending the same way we did in 20, winning like we've done in 20, but does that make the mechanics right? No it doesn't.

In the 5 games we played last night we played a team 108-15-7 twice back to back, and another that was 27-4-2 (BTW, the higher you rise in division the more you play teams of your skill). These games, with these teams, are the real challenge because teams with these records is where the real skill gap lies. Records matter this year. Since good teams are now playing against terrible mechanics and even more horrible goalies, the better record usually means the better team. Playing against them was like a chess match is pushing the mechanics to the limit where you have to be perfect in everything you do. Either they are going to burn you on every chance they get, or you're going to burn them. At no time did these teams try to poke a pass. Lol. Mainly because they're unpokable 98% of the time. Mainly because these teams don't ever pass it the first chance they get, but try to pull your craptastic poking defense out of position by quick turns, fakes, swerves, and "quick" passes around your defense to open you up. I've shown you gifs on how fast as a D-men I can throw passes through the slot, now multiply that by the 5 guys on each team. Top teams have adapted. They adapted day 1. The cross-crease is still bad and it's still the meta by both good and bad teams. Untouchable's method is even better than what you're showing in these gifs to intercept and break up passes.

What do I know though? We're only ranked 6th in 6's EASHL. Your OVP games (as well as the few low-skilled 6's games) are not indicative of 80% of EASHL 6's, so just stop talking about the mode as if you know how the very, very, very good teams play.

Dont argue with him. Hes right no matter what. He calls people out, tells everyone else THEY'RE wrong and HIS method is THE way. Hes been doing it here unchecked forever, and in true EA fashion, i expect to get in trouble for posting this while he berates, condescends, and pretty much tells people they are idiots and hes right, and wont even have anyone say nothin to him. Go back through the arguments. Hell be all over people talking crap, but as soon as someone calls him out, certain people here shut it down fast. Must be nice to have free reign to say what you want while everyone else walks on eggshells.

What? unchecked? I've been banned countless times and I've worked to change my behavior to hopefully contribute to the betterment of this game.

I'm holding people to task who claim this game is 'broken' while providing countless videos showing exactly what I mean.

When I press certain forum members to provide the same evidence for their argument, I'm being "combative" and "condescending".

I don't want this game dumbed down because of users who tell grand stories about the things they encounter with no video evidence. I'm going to a lot of effort to prove my points with real, raw gameplay clips.. yet others are either providng ZERO proof of their claims or instant replays with convenient angles to confirm their bias.

Please stop attacking me. I haven't attacked anyone here. I haven't been condescending.

All I've been doing is pointing out - hey - maybe give us some video of the issue you're spending countless hours writing countless paragraphs about so that we can get to the root of the issue?

But naw.. keep telling stories and just attack me when you're pressed to show some proof.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4738 posts EA Community Manager
    This is a friendly reminder that when discussions go off the rails and turn into conversations where we're attacking each other, our moderation team may enforce the forum rules and unfortunately close down threads if we need to. This thread is a more popular one on the boards and we'll be leaving it open as long as it continues to stay on topic. There is never a need to be rude to anyone else on the forums for their unique perspective on the game.

Forum Rules: https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/259274/ea-forums-guidelines-rules-updated-june-2020#latest
  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    People that defend this atrocious force cross creases are forwards that have no thumbs and cant create offence any other way other than just force bad cross crease passes and get rewarded. Simple fact.

Do you play 6s?

Regardless, even in 6's - there are teams who are atrocious at defending and expose themselves to 2-on-1 constantly. This is not a fault of the game - it's the result of 'top tier' teams being used to passively defending, suddenly being forced to become active defenders.

I assume that the META will evolve when people begin to understand and adapt to this change, and you'll see less and less cross-crease.

In no way, shape, or form is the way you defend the cross-crease by poking/DSSing passes the norm in EASHL 6's. AT ALL. Please stop peddling this like you're trying to make a point. The teams that you play are bad. The examples that you use are from terrible teams, and you can tell a terrible team by the first time they try to make plays in your zone. I cannot remember the last time I have DSS'd a pass coming through the slot. I'm even thinking I've never done this. It is absolutely bad practice to do so because if you're anticipating a pass, and you get faked, and you're done for. The majority of passes that are cross-crease, that people are complaining about, have nothing to do with 2 v 1's.

Also, top tier teams don't have problems with defense. Lol. That's why they're top tier. We are a "passive" defending team and we've done just fine. We're defending the same way we did in 20, winning like we've done in 20, but does that make the mechanics right? No it doesn't.

In the 5 games we played last night we played a team 108-15-7 twice back to back, and another that was 27-4-2 (BTW, the higher you rise in division the more you play teams of your skill). These games, with these teams, are the real challenge because teams with these records is where the real skill gap lies. Records matter this year. Since good teams are now playing against terrible mechanics and even more horrible goalies, the better record usually means the better team. Playing against them was like a chess match is pushing the mechanics to the limit where you have to be perfect in everything you do. Either they are going to burn you on every chance they get, or you're going to burn them. At no time did these teams try to poke a pass. Lol. Mainly because they're unpokable 98% of the time. Mainly because these teams don't ever pass it the first chance they get, but try to pull your craptastic poking defense out of position by quick turns, fakes, swerves, and "quick" passes around your defense to open you up. I've shown you gifs on how fast as a D-men I can throw passes through the slot, now multiply that by the 5 guys on each team. Top teams have adapted. They adapted day 1. The cross-crease is still bad and it's still the meta by both good and bad teams. Untouchable's method is even better than what you're showing in these gifs to intercept and break up passes.

What do I know though? We're only ranked 6th in 6's EASHL. Your OVP games (as well as the few low-skilled 6's games) are not indicative of 80% of EASHL 6's, so just stop talking about the mode as if you know how the very, very, very good teams play.

Dont argue with him. Hes right no matter what. He calls people out, tells everyone else THEY'RE wrong and HIS method is THE way. Hes been doing it here unchecked forever, and in true EA fashion, i expect to get in trouble for posting this while he berates, condescends, and pretty much tells people they are idiots and hes right, and wont even have anyone say nothin to him. Go back through the arguments. Hell be all over people talking crap, but as soon as someone calls him out, certain people here shut it down fast. Must be nice to have free reign to say what you want while everyone else walks on eggshells.

What? unchecked? I've been banned countless times and I've worked to change my behavior to hopefully contribute to the betterment of this game.

I'm holding people to task who claim this game is 'broken' while providing countless videos showing exactly what I mean.

When I press certain forum members to provide the same evidence for their argument, I'm being "combative" and "condescending".

I don't want this game dumbed down because of users who tell grand stories about the things they encounter with no video evidence. I'm going to a lot of effort to prove my points with real, raw gameplay clips.. yet others are either providng ZERO proof of their claims or instant replays with convenient angles to confirm their bias.

Please stop attacking me. I haven't attacked anyone here. I haven't been condescending.

All I've been doing is pointing out - hey - maybe give us some video of the issue you're spending countless hours writing countless paragraphs about so that we can get to the root of the issue?

But naw.. keep telling stories and just attack me when you're pressed to show some proof.

Kor and I have had our disagreements and such but I can attest to this. All it requires is the willingness to have a reasonable conversation. He is correct, start recording videos with commentary and the proper angles. They do go a long way. Aljo does his best to relay this stuff. Case in point: I made a video regarding a puck passing through my LB stick down move and it has been remedied via the latest patch. There is no need to get upset and go off the rails. We are allowed to disagree. Some of us have different methods. So be it. Embrace it and try different things. We are all here because we are passionate about this game. So, therefore, let's work together to help it get to where it needs to be.

Do you play 6s?

Kor and I have had our disagreements and such but I can attest to this. All it requires is the willingness to have a reasonable conversation. He is correct, start recording videos with commentary and the proper angles. They do go a long way. Aljo does his best to relay this stuff. Case in point: I made a video regarding a puck passing through my LB stick down move and it has been remedied via the latest patch. There is no need to get upset and go off the rails. We are allowed to disagree. Some of us have different methods. So be it. Embrace it and try different things. We are all here because we are passionate about this game. So, therefore, let's work together to help it get to where it needs to be.

You just said it. People have different methods. So for others to come and say everything they do is right, and everyone else does it wrong then say i dont want the game "dumbed down" (yet another underhanded attempt at condescension) right after saying they are never condescending, is rich.

That said, just because one person claims everything is ok because of how he plays doesnt negate the fact that MANY others find issue with it. Nobody is saying there isnt a way to defend. People were saying its not as effective as stopping certain plays as it should be. Instead of having a conversation about why theres a disparity in opinion here and what can be done, certain people just stated over and over through videos that were clearly softball versions of what were talking about that "it can be defended" " youre doing it wrong" and posing their OPINION as a fact when countless others view it differently. Nobody is wrong here, and opinions are opinions and not fact.

And clearly after todays patch, ea agreed with us anyways because theyve seemingly worked on the EXACT problem weve been talking about (havent tried patch yet). So, again there were clearly enough people including EA who thought differently. Thats all im saying.

Do you play 6s?

Really well put. You are a clever man.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1839 posts Member
    edited November 2020

Do you play 6s?

You just said it. People have different methods. So for others to come and say everything they do is right, and everyone else does it wrong then say i dont want the game "dumbed down" (yet another underhanded attempt at condescension) right after saying they are never condescending, is rich.

That said, just because one person claims everything is ok because of how he plays doesnt negate the fact that MANY others find issue with it. Nobody is saying there isnt a way to defend. People were saying its not as effective as stopping certain plays as it should be. Instead of having a conversation about why theres a disparity in opinion here and what can be done, certain people just stated over and over through videos that were clearly softball versions of what were talking about that "it can be defended" " youre doing it wrong" and posing their OPINION as a fact when countless others view it differently. Nobody is wrong here, and opinions are opinions and not fact.

And clearly after todays patch, ea agreed with us anyways because theyve seemingly worked on the EXACT problem weve been talking about (havent tried patch yet). So, again there were clearly enough people including EA who thought differently. Thats all im saying.

I never once said there were zero issues with the cross-crease. I said it was defendable.

I've also exposed my own mistakes while playing for the betterment of the game. So to attack me and claim that I'm saying "everything I do is right" is a flat out lie. Please. Stop. Attacking me. I am here to help better the game. That's it.

I am still waiting for clear video evidence that passes go through players which is exactly what you and many others claimed was the crux of the issue.

I'm glad EA addressed the cross crease - because there were A.I. issues that I pointed out many times here.

I was also a proponent of fixing the clipping issue where LB wasn't properly stopping pucks.

So again, you're attacking me and trying to convince everyone that I'm "condescending" when I ask for proof of an issue.

Post edited by KidShowtime1867 on

Do you play 6s?

I never once said there were zero issues with the cross-crease. I said it was defendable.

I've also exposed my own mistakes while playing for the betterment of the game. So to attack me and claim that I'm saying "everything I do is right" is a flat out lie. Please. Stop. Attacking me. I am here to help better the game. That's it.

I am still waiting for clear video evidence that passes go through players which is exactly what you and many others claimed wad the crux of the issue.

I'm glad EA addressed the cross crease - because there were A.I. issues that I pointed out many times here.

I was also a proponent of fixing the clipping issue where LB wasn't properly stopping pucks.

So again, you're attacking me and trying to convince everyone that I'm "condescending" when I ask for proof of an issue.

Yes i said the puck goes through players but if you re read my posts, i clearly say its an a.i. issue mostly in 1v1 modes. Im not attacking you. Only pointing out your hypocrisy.

Do you play 6s?

Sorry bro, I respect your opinion (when you're not attacking me) but IMO, you should maybe post a video of a game. Even 2-3 minutes of one of these 'top tier' games you keep talking about - because I want to see for myself what it is you're talking about.

I did provide a clip from EASHL but you just dismissed the pass as 'weak'. It's just impossible to get through to you.

Provide some raw gameplay clips. Let's see some action here - I want to be proven wrong. I really do. I want you to show us - everyone here who's following this topic - show us some raw gameplay so we can move forward with the discussion.

Attacking my 'craptastic' defence (which is just an unnecessary attack) and not giving us any video to analyze is not doing this discussion any favors.

I'm not saying your defense is craptastic, I'm saying that the poke mechanic that you use to break up passes is craptastic because it's unreliable against meta passes. Meta passes are the holding your stick to either side, charging it, and sending it faster than your finger can press the button to defend it. I can show you a game of passive defense working, but if I start trying to break up plays with a poke I'm going to get eaten up alive in an actual game. No one is saying you can't poke a pass. It's obviously possible. No one is saying that you can't passively intercept a pass, I do it all the time. All I'm saying is that it needs to be a little better to deter the one thing that everyone does on the offensive. Honestly, I see nothing in the patch notes that will stop the 8000 one timers per game.

this is spot on if you ask me. And the best fix? I think charged passes are way too fast. For first time in my gaming life I probably agree with the "game is too fast" crowd and think everything should slow down just a bit. But passing speed is just too fast.
  • Stovetop9620
    455 posts Member
    edited November 2020

Do you play 6s?

Sorry bro, I respect your opinion (when you're not attacking me) but IMO, you should maybe post a video of a game. Even 2-3 minutes of one of these 'top tier' games you keep talking about - because I want to see for myself what it is you're talking about.

I did provide a clip from EASHL but you just dismissed the pass as 'weak'. It's just impossible to get through to you.

Provide some raw gameplay clips. Let's see some action here - I want to be proven wrong. I really do. I want you to show us - everyone here who's following this topic - show us some raw gameplay so we can move forward with the discussion.

Attacking my 'craptastic' defence (which is just an unnecessary attack) and not giving us any video to analyze is not doing this discussion any favors.

I'm not saying your defense is craptastic, I'm saying that the poke mechanic that you use to break up passes is craptastic because it's unreliable against meta passes. Meta passes are the holding your stick to either side, charging it, and sending it faster than your finger can press the button to defend it. I can show you a game of passive defense working, but if I start trying to break up plays with a poke I'm going to get eaten up alive in an actual game. No one is saying you can't poke a pass. It's obviously possible. No one is saying that you can't passively intercept a pass, I do it all the time. All I'm saying is that it needs to be a little better to deter the one thing that everyone does on the offensive. Honestly, I see nothing in the patch notes that will stop the 8000 one timers per game.

this is spot on if you ask me. And the best fix? I think charged passes are way too fast. For first time in my gaming life I probably agree with the "game is too fast" crowd and think everything should slow down just a bit. But passing speed is just too fast.

@jmwalsh8888

Do you think it is the speed itself or the charging of the mechanic that is off?

What about the physics of it? Should players be able to throw rocket passes with their stick fully extended?

Do you play 6s?

@jmwalsh8888

Do you think it is the speed itself or the charging of the mechanic that is off?

What about the physics of it? Should players be able to throw rocket passes with their stick fully extended?

i think there are two ways this could be affected. 1 simple and easy to implement the other more complex and should be looked at carefully.

the easy fix is change nothing other than the max power of the speed of the pass. in its current state it reminds of of the old days of rocket slap passes that are being executed with ease and precision of a scalpel just like any other pass. Its that fast and effective.

the harder fix would probably be looking at an overhaul of the passing and shooting system. backhand passing and shooting is a real thing but in this game is extremely over powered. Also there's no real difference in passing results based on how you are handling the puck at any given moment. The ability to string together dekes, spins, pivots, between leg movements, dangling like a mad man and at any point in that process send 100% accurate laser passes is insane. Charging mechanic I'm ok but open to any change that is actually an improvement. Just not sure what that would be.

But I try to remember this is just a game and most importantly it should be fun. And the only thing worse than overpowered mechanics is wonky, broken mechanics that make you want to shoot your brains out.

So I personally would like to see slower high end passes. At least when I play it feels like it goes from a nice soft, normal (although kind of slow and easy to intercept) pass to a laser beam in a millisecond of more pressure on the button. Again maybe its something I'm doing. But I don't mind it because they definitely are harder to stop, much harder for goalies to react to and seem to have very little difference in offensive success rates except in one way. How accurate is my passing. I play with basically no assistance. So even being slightly off if its a laser the target can not adjust like he could a softer pass.

Do you play 6s?

@jmwalsh8888

i think there are two ways this could be affected. 1 simple and easy to implement the other more complex and should be looked at carefully.

the easy fix is change nothing other than the max power of the speed of the pass. in its current state it reminds of of the old days of rocket slap passes that are being executed with ease and precision of a scalpel just like any other pass. Its that fast and effective.

the harder fix would probably be looking at an overhaul of the passing and shooting system. backhand passing and shooting is a real thing but in this game is extremely over powered. Also there's no real difference in passing results based on how you are handling the puck at any given moment. The ability to string together dekes, spins, pivots, between leg movements, dangling like a mad man and at any point in that process send 100% accurate laser passes is insane. Charging mechanic I'm ok but open to any change that is actually an improvement. Just not sure what that would be.

But I try to remember this is just a game and most importantly it should be fun. And the only thing worse than overpowered mechanics is wonky, broken mechanics that make you want to shoot your brains out.

So I personally would like to see slower high end passes. At least when I play it feels like it goes from a nice soft, normal (although kind of slow and easy to intercept) pass to a laser beam in a millisecond of more pressure on the button. Again maybe its something I'm doing. But I don't mind it because they definitely are harder to stop, much harder for goalies to react to and seem to have very little difference in offensive success rates except in one way. How accurate is my passing. I play with basically no assistance. So even being slightly off if its a laser the target can not adjust like he could a softer pass.

@jmwalsh8888 , good stuff brotha.

For idea 1, I guess we can all test slower passing speeds offline and see what kind of outcomes it creates.

For idea 2, I think what I put in bold is a pretty good characterization of the weirdness to passing. No bounding puck, very little backhand penalty, no real penalty to space, time, vicinity.

Speaking of wonky mechanics, in my opinion 2k's gameplay, from a hockey perspective, was, and still is, leaps and bounds better than any EA hockey game ever made. However, the mechanics were wonky and did, probably, make people hate the game haha. It looked bad, it wasn't very fluid.

Thanks for the conversation.

Do you play 6s?

I dont like charged passes abit.. Often the biggest reasons to why things feels forced.

Game speed startin to feel quite accurate. I like to play with 100% control both offens and defense, and it has been pretty hard earlier when speed was all over the place.

They should continue to encourage control on ice.
  • This entire game, HUT at least has become who can score the most cross ice one timers and who can spam the poke check like a magic wand the hardest. THIS IS NOT HOCKEY!
  • thegarden94
    457 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    amxblade wrote: »
    This entire game, HUT at least has become who can score the most cross ice one timers and who can spam the poke check like a magic wand the hardest. THIS IS NOT HOCKEY!

The poke check is way op it needs nerfing , little Mary's just skate around with their stick extended with little consequences ,the skill stick should be more rewarding than just spamming the poke check
    Post edited by thegarden94 on
  • Am I the only one who feels like the game is very arcade-like compared to how it was when it dropped? (I play offline). I’ve got the latest patch and tuners, and have even tried messing with sliders, but it feels SO broken all of a sudden. CPU players are out of their minds. And it’s still so easy to just skate right past them. I don’t know what to do and it stinks because I really just want to enjoy this game.

• amxblade wrote: »
    This entire game, HUT at least has become who can score the most cross ice one timers and who can spam the poke check like a magic wand the hardest. THIS IS NOT HOCKEY!

The poke check is way op it needs nerfing , little Mary's just shake around with their stick extended with little consequences ,the skill stick should be more rewarding than just spamming the poke check

I think the patch definitely helped mitigate the cross crease goals. AI defense has been doing a better job at breaking them up from my experiences so far.

As far as the stick goes, I agree with the "little consequences". I posted a video trying to get an explanation with the DSS. I can't figure out when it is solid vs invisible. Players can just swing their sticks through your legs with no trips, yet still make contact with the puck. I get that this is "intended" for the reasons EA has mentioned, but it is just too frustrating to watch.
  • TheMajjam
    794 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Good lord we're back to asking for more defensive nerfs. So the poke check is OP again now?

Nerf pivot speed. Check.
    Nerf puck interceptions. Check.
    Nerf pokes. On the ballot now.

Why don't we just take the sticks away from the defense entirely and just give them brooms?
    Good lord we're back to asking for more defensive nerfs. So the poke check is OP again now?

Nerf pivot speed. Check.
    Nerf puck interceptions. Check.
    Nerf pokes. On the ballot now.

Why don't we just take the sticks away from the defense entirely and just give them brooms?

Hehe yeah it is abit funny.. I know I get abit angry when opponent's just use their stick all the time.. Kinda reckless, so I guess im not alone to dislike that behavior, feels so skill-less in a way. I like how the poke/DSS affect the puck under the conditions when you get a puck-hit, I dont like how aggressive you can be with the stick to get to the puck.

But maybe thats something I must learn to accept, the difference between how we choose to swing our poke/DSS. Some with more control and other's with a more wild nature into it.
  • amxblade
    211 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Personally I say make it fatigue the player quicker if they're just using dss and swinging it around. If they just mashing the button which I see alot of, put a 1 second delay in after each one, or make their player slow down.

But something needs to be done about the cross crease. I just finished a game of champions where the guy didn't take ONE shot that wasn't a cross ice one timer and no matter how hard you defend it, a couple always get through and if you lay on the ice to block it, it sometimes still goes through lol.
  • I think I am going to go back on what I previously said. I assumed the patch helped with the one time goals, but the more games I've played, the more I am not believing that to be true. I just lost to a guy 9-3. He had a total of 12 shots, all of course one-timers. Some cross crease, some more in the slot. I say whatever and play another game and go up against a guy who scores 6 unanswered goals after I was up 2-0. He ended the game with 13 shots. I know I am not this bad at this game as I break up these passes more times than I can count, but anytime they do seem to get one through, my goalie flops and gives them the whole freaking net.