EA Forums - Banner

Okay, what am I supposed to do here?

Prev1
I’m kind of at my wits end with this stuff. Yes I recorded the video from my phone, the quality sucks. Deal with it. What else am I supposed to do here? I read the play perfectly. I am in the perfect position to pick this pass off and my skater just allows it to go by without attempting to intercept. I understand you don’t want the defense able to pick off everything, but this is egregious. At the very least if the pucks are going to get by defenders this easy make one timers harder to execute. All this forward needed to do was skate in while holding up on the right stick and the game took care of the rest. Wildly frustrating.

Replies

• Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    You first turn from backskate to forward then to backskate again the second he passes the puck.. That aint perfectly position, you really mean that?

This was a situation you had to choose, puck carrier or a pass.. You landed somewere between that.. If you had got more to the left earlier, that player wouldn’t been a problem. Or just throw yourself down when you had your body in direaction at your goalie.

* But to your defense, it's easy to look at a video and say what you should have done, but when it happen it happens pretty fast..

But I dont know if you agree...
  • Yes, I pivoted to help get myself in better position.... Which was well before the pass even was made. Why would have have ANY effect on my ability to pick off a pass that wasn’t even made yet? I very clearly choose pass as I am directly next to the eventual shooter. The puck goes right through my skater. Why would I dive in this situation? That would be asking for a tripping penalty and not at all good positioning. Sorry, but something is fundamentally flawed when offense is this overpowered.

And again...... Because for some reason no one on this forum ever wants to discuss this.... One timers are way too easy to execute. You’re telling me I need to be PERFECT position but a forward just needs to hold up on the right stick? Come on, you gotta be kidding me.
  • I think anyone arguing that one timers aren't overpowered is delusional. I'm a center and the amount of success I have from tying the opposing center up, while one wing comes in and dishes the puck to the other winger for an easy goal is insane. My wingers and I are like 50+% on this play.
    And I agree. It is far too easy to sit there holding up, meanwhile defense get burned by passes that should be intercepted or at least deflected.
  • You know it is unbalanced when literally any player type with any attribute set up can wire away Stamkos and Ovechkin like goals with regularity.

It should definitely be harder to do.

At the same time I think one timers from the point need to be a bit better. Even with high power and accuracy the one timers from the point are quite underwhelming.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    I can only say it like this, play defense has never been a real thing, at least sence I remember, 5 years back, I have always played against the other persons A.I meanwhile he would just stand with one side of the post ready to sprint for a hit.

But offens has never been any problem, that can anyone play..

And what do we got now..? A game were good defense is required, has anyone practice that the last couple of years.. I say no.. Regarding of what I said above.

So what happen when offens meet no defense... = cross creases.

* And I still more or less only play against people that goes all on one card, 100% offens, all or nothing. It's not really fair to complain afterwards that the defense is broken, when they usally don't even play defense.

Defense should not been played in panic, every move you do must be in 100% control over your players movement. Or else it dosent work.
  • Idk man, I have played EASHL defense exclusively since NHL 11. That’s 11 years now... I can’t really imagine anyone practicing it much more than I have over the years. It’s just super frustrating when you get your guy in a spot to stop a one timer and it just goes right past you and onto the other teams stick and in your net. Clearly I know the one timer is coming and read it well (in my opinion of course) but that still isnt enough. If I lay down and he skates over me its a tripping penalty and therefore a penalty shot. Its just kind of a joke how the tools for defensemen never get updated or enhanced, but every year were getting 5 new dekes for forwards to use.

The fact that this guy makes a pass in this situation when he is one on one with the goalie should tell you everything you need to know about how over powered one timers are. Would just be nice if the game forced people to find other ways to score. Makes it way more interesting and fun.
  • considering how many cross crease attempt thats made every singel match/day, it's not so strange one or two will be successful in the end, even tough I think we all know what's coming, and ofc, that is a part thats really frustrating, to know but to be helpless, sometimes the game mechanics let us down and sometimes it's actually our own fault.

Never fun to let in goals, especially the same type of goals for the 10.000 times, finaly we have enough, nothing wrong about that.

But a patch tomorrow, will hopefully make things better, but the cross crease is probebly in one way or another, here to stay.
  • bednarz57 wrote: »
    The fact that this guy makes a pass in this situation when he is one on one with the goalie should tell you everything you need to know about how over powered one timers are. Would just be nice if the game forced people to find other ways to score. Makes it way more interesting and fun.

This right here. The last few years, you would see the backhand-forehand deke then short side shot 9/10 times in this situation. With how successful these one timers are right now, I would make that pass and take my chances at it being intercepted.

The fact that EA decided to do the following speaks volumes about what they are seeing and hearing from the community about these one timers.

- Improved some Defensive AI gap control cases while defending against the rush
    -Improved weak side defender coverage in front of the net

Both of these are exactly what I have been trying to communicate. Many keep saying playing defense is different this year and you need to adapt. My user defense is fine and I'm willing to admit when I screw up, however, my AI looks like they are playing Pee-wee out there.

If these are fixed, I promise, I will no longer complain about gameplay...just the lack of presentation....Custom Audio!!!!!😉

This right here. The last few years, you would see the backhand-forehand deke then short side shot 9/10 times in this situation. With how successful these one timers are right now, I would make that pass and take my chances at it being intercepted.

The fact that EA decided to do the following speaks volumes about what they are seeing and hearing from the community about these one timers.

Both of these are exactly what I have been trying to communicate. Many keep saying playing defense is different this year and you need to adapt. My user defense is fine and I'm willing to admit when I screw up, however, my AI looks like they are playing Pee-wee out there.

If these are fixed, I promise, I will no longer complain about gameplay...just the lack of presentation....Custom Audio!!!!!😉

I dont find you complaining that much, you have a good attitude and I like having you here around!

Let's hope they fixed - all - our NHL problems. 😉
  • HockeyCityUSA
    552 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    bednarz57 wrote: »

I dont find you complaining that much, you have a good attitude and I like having you here around!

Haha, I've been on these forums for years, under a few different names, and I feel all I do is complain!
    Post edited by HockeyCityUSA on
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    bednarz57 wrote: »

Haha, I've been on these forums for years, under a few different names, and I feel all I do is complain!

A little bit of that and a little bit of this.. The game need both sides, as long as you complaining in the right way, I see no problem with that.
    Idk man, I have played EASHL defense exclusively since NHL 11. That’s 11 years now... I can’t really imagine anyone practicing it much more than I have over the years. It’s just super frustrating when you get your guy in a spot to stop a one timer and it just goes right past you and onto the other teams stick and in your net. Clearly I know the one timer is coming and read it well (in my opinion of course) but that still isnt enough. If I lay down and he skates over me its a tripping penalty and therefore a penalty shot. Its just kind of a joke how the tools for defensemen never get updated or enhanced, but every year were getting 5 new dekes for forwards to use.

You're not alone. I am strictly D, and pretty much LD....there honestly isn't a winger that can get around me if I don't want them to. I don't say that to brag, I say it because I'm frustrated with the game. I get dinged for goals going in when it's a 3 on 1, or when there's a pass from the right and it hits their center for a one timer when I'm tying up my guy on the left where I should be. I've been right in front of people to intercept passes and it goes right through me.

My hope is the patch today helps fix some of these things...
  • I remember playing NHL games in sega and have played them every year since. I am far from a newb to this game, the controls, ect but these games anymore need no skill and are either pay to win and/or exploit to win. Its pretty unfortunate. My cousins and I use to kill it in online versus back when it came down to skill. But now the game has been made so that all a first time player has to learn is the cross crease and they are competitive
  • Best trick to enjoy the game is to play exactly the way you prefer, and then when you startin to play games in rival were the score is pretty even and you reach your skill level based on your 'preferable hockey' you have fun with when you playing, every game becomes enjoying.

There is two options as I see it..that... Or... Sweat it out and learn the shortest and fastest way to cross crease, this will probebly get you a higher rank, downside, you probebly don't enjoy your own play style and it's a sweat fest every singel game.

People will probebly try to force that cross crease the whole HUT year, so the best thing to do is to find your rank against that type of hockey by playing in a way you like.. By that way you don't have to worry to much about cross creases, cause you can defend them on that level.
  • 32Doak
    103 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    In real hockey, it's wayyy harder to shoot a moving puck than it is to just stop it with the blade of your stick.

You simply just do not see NHL players let a puck that they're trying to stop move right past them.

It's silly to defend this because it's the most unrealistic aspect of the game in its current state. Nobody should have to get used to this because it's totally unacceptable.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4823 posts EA Community Manager
    @bednarz57

Hold the RB to try and poke the puck away from the skater as they come down the ice. You played it quite well, I think at the end of the day it was getting the timing of pushing the button just right to intercept it. Under those circumstances I always try to dive to lay down. You were centered enough in front of the goalie where if you did that you shouldn't get a tripping call.

You could have acted like you were going to rush the puck carrier and then backed off to get closer to the scorer which may have forced the puck carrier to shoot it from the right side at a tough angle. That's such a split second decision though you'll have to adapt through muscle memory over time.
  • @bednarz57

Hold the RB to try and poke the puck away from the skater as they come down the ice. You played it quite well, I think at the end of the day it was getting the timing of pushing the button just right to intercept it. Under those circumstances I always try to dive to lay down. You were centered enough in front of the goalie where if you did that you shouldn't get a tripping call.

You could have acted like you were going to rush the puck carrier and then backed off to get closer to the scorer which may have forced the puck carrier to shoot it from the right side at a tough angle. That's such a split second decision though you'll have to adapt through muscle memory over time.

I appreciate the reply and I want to say since the latest gameplay update this has felt better. Not perfect, but definitely better. Everyone on my team (only a few of us) feel the same way. Lost a couple games last night, but didn’t feel like it was because of improper gameplay or anything really out of our control. So for that I want to thank you guys because I know the constant **** you guys endure has to be a royal pain in the ****.

I still would love one-timers to be overhauled, but thats a conversation for another day.

Thanks!
  • 32Doak wrote: »
    In real hockey, it's wayyy harder to shoot a moving puck than it is to just stop it with the blade of your stick.

You simply just do not see NHL players let a puck that they're trying to stop move right past them.

It's silly to defend this because it's the most unrealistic aspect of the game in its current state. Nobody should have to get used to this because it's totally unacceptable.

while i agree with the sentiment its not as if they can block every pass or shot. If they are expecting it, the odds are much higher for sure. So if you are in practice, firing pucks at a player that is ready, he will block most of them. In real life, the results vary. That's hard to simulate in a game though.

this is where i try to balance expectations. When I break down slow motion replays I can often say "this or that should have happened". but when I just look at an entire game as a whole, remember it is a video game, I can sometimes dismiss it as "overall the experience was ok"

that being said right now I think passes are getting through a bit too much. I'd like to see something more like regular speed passes being intercepted and fully charged passes disrupted with no puck pickup for anyone for like 1 second. And then throw in some randomness. if everything is perfect condition, you get a 95% chance, if you are actively moving left stick, drop it a bit. if you are facing away drop it some more. stuff like that. Right now it just feels too static. rocket pass through goes for easy one timer or sometimes just sticks right to defenders stick for interception. pretty much no in between unless you are being active with the stick (poking or DSS).

but i do agree, an NHL player that is ready for it will stop the puck almost every time. Game is so fast and so much going on though that I think in real life it happens less than in real game. In real life you are playing first person, in this game overhead perspective allows unrealistic play where you know everything that is going on 100% without turning your head. So maybe some balance.
  • 32Doak wrote: »

while i agree with the sentiment its not as if they can block every pass or shot. If they are expecting it, the odds are much higher for sure. So if you are in practice, firing pucks at a player that is ready, he will block most of them. In real life, the results vary. That's hard to simulate in a game though.

this is where i try to balance expectations. When I break down slow motion replays I can often say "this or that should have happened". but when I just look at an entire game as a whole, remember it is a video game, I can sometimes dismiss it as "overall the experience was ok"

that being said right now I think passes are getting through a bit too much. I'd like to see something more like regular speed passes being intercepted and fully charged passes disrupted with no puck pickup for anyone for like 1 second. And then throw in some randomness. if everything is perfect condition, you get a 95% chance, if you are actively moving left stick, drop it a bit. if you are facing away drop it some more. stuff like that. Right now it just feels too static. rocket pass through goes for easy one timer or sometimes just sticks right to defenders stick for interception. pretty much no in between unless you are being active with the stick (poking or DSS).

but i do agree, an NHL player that is ready for it will stop the puck almost every time. Game is so fast and so much going on though that I think in real life it happens less than in real game. In real life you are playing first person, in this game overhead perspective allows unrealistic play where you know everything that is going on 100% without turning your head. So maybe some balance.

Aaaand I agree..
  • HoodHoppers
    1486 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    There is a wonderful tuner that has something to do with "pass reception reaction time" or something close to that, it'd stop the rocket passes ASAP. If a defender can't react to it, a forward sure as hell shouldn't be able to either let alone hit the net with it.
    Post edited by HoodHoppers on