EA Forums - Banner

Let's Talk: Charging fouls make finesse classes OP

Prev1
RIPJimLahey69
posts New member
edited October 2020
By giving charging penalties for otherwise clean hits, it gives checking characters a big disadvantage. Unlike boarding or interference, the charging penalties seem unpredictable.

Finesse classes already have a huge advantage in speed, passing, dekeing, & scoring. Now the checking players have to deal with random penalties as well.

If you want to give charging randomly instead of boarding or interference that’s fine. But stop giving them on big hits that are otherwise clean.

This is too much pain for players who like hitting. Power forwards have been nerfed, jousting has been removed, hip checks have disappeared, & you can’t hit people through the glass or into the benches. Hitting is so much fun and is being neglected big time! Please EA for the sake of fun!
Post edited by EA_Blueberry on

Replies

• Power Forwards haven't just been nerfed, they've been taken 'round the shed and double tapped; it's a dang shame I tell you what. "Look how they massacred my boy".

All the top players can't handle getting bumped off the puck so I'm afraid we'll never see a return of the ultimate build
  • You're right on the charging penalties, they should get rid of those. Last gen didn't have charging penalties, instead they had the occasional elbowing penalty. It was pretty subjective when it was called, but it happened less often(than charging) and it was a better/funner game for it.
  • > @88BigTim88 said:
    > You're right on the charging penalties, they should get rid of those. Last gen didn't have charging penalties, instead they had the occasional elbowing penalty. It was pretty subjective when it was called, but it happened less often(than charging) and it was a better/funner game for it.

Unless there is a button to elbow someone intentionally, then an RNG penalty should not exist in an online game mode.
  • 88BigTim88
    32 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    > @88BigTim88 said:
    > You're right on the charging penalties, they should get rid of those. Last gen didn't have charging penalties, instead they had the occasional elbowing penalty. It was pretty subjective when it was called, but it happened less often(than charging) and it was a better/funner game for it.

Unless there is a button to elbow someone intentionally, then an RNG penalty should not exist in an online game mode.

No one in the NHL intentionally tries to elbow anyone (nowadays anyways) yet there are elbowing penalties. The sudden change of movement in a fast game, it happens.
    Post edited by 88BigTim88 on
  • > @88BigTim88 said:

all elbowing penalties were charging just called elbowing for "realism" affects.

and there was charging in last gen.

and really charging is not hard to avoid. If you are full speed at someone and never let up and check him like you are trying to knock his soul out of his body... that is the literal definition of charging. Slow to a glide before hand (which you should do anyway ) then last second accelerate into a check just before body making impact, shouldn't get charging. Once in a blue moon I do it but very rare. A few times i've walked away saying "that was not charging, i was gliding, not striding" but i can't complain.
  • > @88BigTim88 said:

all elbowing penalties were charging just called elbowing for "realism" affects.

and there was charging in last gen.

and really charging is not hard to avoid. If you are full speed at someone and never let up and check him like you are trying to knock his soul out of his body... that is the literal definition of charging. Slow to a glide before hand (which you should do anyway ) then last second accelerate into a check just before body making impact, shouldn't get charging. Once in a blue moon I do it but very rare. A few times i've walked away saying "that was not charging, i was gliding, not striding" but i can't complain.

There was no charging last gen in drop-in. I don't know when the last time you played, but I was playing NHL15 on PS3 up to a few months ago and you could sprint at players full tilt and hit them and not get called for charging.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4337 posts EA Community Manager
    @RIPJimLahey69

I'm going to toss this post up for others to see as a weekly topic of discussion. Would like to field other opinions on the current state of charging in EASHL.

Any other classes out there that need more love or a nerf?
  • I don't know much about the classes as I usually just roll with my grinder center. But I can definitely agree with the charging penalties being a thing. My friend who plays RW as a relatively small playmaker gets odd looking charging calls frequently. I've been getting a few too. Sometimes even when skating behind someone in the same direction as them just catching up and hitting them.
  • EA_Aljo
    2676 posts EA Community Manager
    I don't know much about the classes as I usually just roll with my grinder center. But I can definitely agree with the charging penalties being a thing. My friend who plays RW as a relatively small playmaker gets odd looking charging calls frequently. I've been getting a few too. Sometimes even when skating behind someone in the same direction as them just catching up and hitting them.

Charging can occur when you hold your hit for multiple strides and are going in a straight line. If you turn or glide, you won't get a charge. Your player's discipline rating also makes a difference as lower discipline means a higher chance of a penalty.
  • Mr_Darklighter
    352 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    I don't know much about the classes as I usually just roll with my grinder center. But I can definitely agree with the charging penalties being a thing. My friend who plays RW as a relatively small playmaker gets odd looking charging calls frequently. I've been getting a few too. Sometimes even when skating behind someone in the same direction as them just catching up and hitting them.

Charging can occur when you hold your hit for multiple strides and are going in a straight line. If you turn or glide, you won't get a charge. Your player's discipline rating also makes a difference as lower discipline means a higher chance of a penalty.

I have seen and been the victim of many charging calls where there were not multiple strides. Or where the player was gliding well before the hit. Or as I said earlier when you are in stride but catching up to a player.

It is a broken call in this game. Not 100% of the time. But I'd say roughly half of the charging calls I see or take are not actual charges.
  • Lol i had a guy in glide for 3 seconds, which is a long time and i got thrown out in my pro career
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »

I have seen and been the victim of many charging calls where there were not multiple strides. Or where the player was gliding well before the hit. Or as I said earlier when you are in stride but catching up to a player.

It is a broken call in this game. Not 100% of the time. But I'd say roughly half of the charging calls I see or take are not actual charges.

Charging does need some fixing for sure and this year there seems to be a few more of them.

i only get them when I'm chasing someone and all the sudden he does a sudden turn into me. That would never be called in real life but probably about impossible to code that kind of thing in accurately.
  • EA_Aljo

If you can get some video of this, that would be appreciated. I'll make sure it gets to the dev team. Thank you!
  • Thanks for your attention on the charging calls. I have had a few that didn't actually make solid contact, but rather brush in front of or just clip the player with a just glancing blow. It is very strange.
  • TTZ_Dipsy
    479 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    You removed auto interceptions because people were complaining about automatic animations and stuff but allow for random penalties to be given because of discipline? I've been on the receiving end of way too many penalties that were 100% clean because the game felt like sending me to the box which I find to be a joke.

There really is such a thing as clean hits; I don't agree with charging automatically being considered based solely on the amount of strides you take - you could travel 20 strides and out of nowhere someone next to you has the puck passed to them, you go to hit them and it's a penalty
  • EA_Aljo
    TTZ_Dipsy wrote: »
    You removed auto interceptions because people were complaining about automatic animations and stuff but allow for random penalties to be given because of discipline? I've been on the receiving end of way too many penalties that were 100% clean because the game felt like sending me to the box which I find to be a joke.

There really is such a thing as clean hits; I don't agree with charging automatically being considered based solely on the amount of strides you take - you could travel 20 strides and out of nowhere someone next to you has the puck passed to them, you go to hit them and it's a penalty

It's not just distance traveled. You have to be skating in a straight line. Basically, avoid making a beeline while holding for a hit. Charging isn't completely random. It's only possible under specific conditions.
  • The reason charging penalties were so frustrating last year was because hitting was pretty nerfed so you had to gain a lot of momentum to make a good hit, so that resulted in a lot of charging calls. I'm not sure if it's the same this year yet.
  • Socair
    2709 posts Game Changer
    Adding to this in case some aren’t aware; you will not see charging/boarding called in 3v3 EASHL. Other penalties remain (interference, tripping, etc) but no charging. I believe it was taken out of the mode to lessen penalty shot calls, would have to confirm that though.
  • Making a beeline is the only way to pull off good hits, even with the larger builds.
    There is obviously some sort of cooldown effect when going full boar in a straight line because you can still net yourself a charging penalty if you make a sudden turn at the last moment to hit someone new with the puck...

Why is there any real focus on charging in 3's? I can confirm grinder builds and hitting made a huge difference last hear but with the new nerfs to D and transitional turning, the mode is back to being all about small builds that have massive speed. Use a sniper that literally can't hit anything but other snipers and you'll never have to worry about charging and even interference ever again.

• Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Socair wrote: »
    Adding to this in case some aren’t aware; you will not see charging/boarding called in 3v3 EASHL. Other penalties remain (interference, tripping, etc) but no charging. I believe it was taken out of the mode to lessen penalty shot calls, would have to confirm that though.

If I may say so, this is a bit idiotic thing to do, because players are taking advantage of this. They use a big build and absolutely destroy opponents, takeing players out for a long time. If you take these penalties out, you would absolutely have to take out injuries and how long it takes getting up when you're down on energy and get bombed, sometimes by two players in a row... I mean, this is not supposed to be Threes, is it?

Another issue I find with the game is obstruction, or the lack of it: you can skate full tilt at an opponent who doens't have the puck and crash into him, and make him fall on his face. Yet no penalty is given, because you did not touch the right stick. This is blatantly misused, you get shoved plenty of time and people purposely seek these opportunities. Please consider giving penalties for th emost obvious ones?

And another thing, maybe it's new for this year or not, but there's this weird animation where you can stumble and take a fall when and opponent is close to you and either your or the opponent change direction. It almost looks like leg-tripping or something. Maybe your skates get stuck with the opponent's or whatever. It's fairly annoying and suspicious. Basically anyhting that causes your player to fall down due to player interaction should at least be potentially a penalty, especially if you don't have the puck. You know, just like in real hockey. Or if you don't want to penalise it, then remove it altogether?