EA Forums - Banner

The thread that makes you go... huh?

Replies

• Are you referring to online or offline?

These clips were all gathered online in World of Chel and Online Versus Play.

Gotcha. I’ve been experimenting offline, testing the tuner 1.00 vs 1.01. I’ve decided that the game plays quite a bit better on 1.00.

• j0rtsu67 wrote: »
    #27 was too passive, poke checked instead of DSS and allowed that backdoor pass. A.I. was just... A.I.

Yup, thanks for pointing out the point I was making :)

Yellow (RD) made a PERFECT moving screen.

Yup, 100% agreed.
    8gWpevV.png

Maybe it wasn't 100% shot to score, but Red (You? ;)) gave too much room to shoot though.

100% - definitely too much room to shoot. But that shot is weak 🎃🎃🎃🎃. Goalie reaction is awful.
    j0rtsu67 wrote: »

But it was not offside though:
    6o56m8rbalc9.jpg

yeeea.. about that..

zgjAD9z.png

That is onside. You just have to have possession of the puck when you're onside before entering the zone with full control. It's only offside if he picked the puck up from an offside position first. You can skate backwards with control into the offensive zone.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1839 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    #27 was too passive, poke checked instead of DSS and allowed that backdoor pass. A.I. was just... A.I.

Yup, 100% agreed.
    8gWpevV.png

Maybe it wasn't 100% shot to score, but Red (You? ;)) gave too much room to shoot though.

100% - definitely too much room to shoot. But that shot is weak 🎃🎃🎃🎃. Goalie reaction is awful.

6o56m8rbalc9.jpg

yeeea.. about that..

zgjAD9z.png

That is onside. You just have to have possession of the puck when you're onside before entering the zone with full control. It's only offside if he picked the puck up from an offside position first. You can skate backwards with control into the offensive zone.

I am familiar with how the rules work.

The player's skate is in the zone before obtaining possession of the puck:

GT9Hyji.png

Another angle on the chaos that happened leading up to it - https://i.imgur.com/YiELsT3.gif
  • The puck is completely over the blue line before his back skate though. That would make the play onside.
  • j0rtsu67 wrote: »

Yup, 100% agreed.
    8gWpevV.png

6o56m8rbalc9.jpg

yeeea.. about that..

zgjAD9z.png

GT9Hyji.png

Another angle on the chaos that happened leading up to it - https://i.imgur.com/YiELsT3.gif

It's only the trailing leg that you have to worry about. As long as part of the skate is onside before gaining possession it's considered onside.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1839 posts Member
    edited November 2020

Yup, 100% agreed.
    8gWpevV.png

6o56m8rbalc9.jpg

yeeea.. about that..

zgjAD9z.png

GT9Hyji.png

It's only the trailing leg that you have to worry about. As long as part of the skate is onside before gaining possession it's considered onside.

nevermind, I see it.

It's onside. My bad.
  • Sega82mega
    4239 posts Member
    edited November 2020

Yup, 100% agreed.
    8gWpevV.png

6o56m8rbalc9.jpg

yeeea.. about that..

zgjAD9z.png

GT9Hyji.png

Hehe quite messy... 😬

High stick through your body - a fake shot, offside - onside?, then through the reff and a cross crease.

Propely felt good for your opponent.. 😄
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

Yup, 100% agreed.
    8gWpevV.png

6o56m8rbalc9.jpg

yeeea.. about that..

zgjAD9z.png

GT9Hyji.png

Hehe quite messy... 😬

High stick through your body - a fake shot, offside - onside?, then through the reff and a cross crease.

We exchanged messages after this game. He was not pleased to say the least lol
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

Yup, 100% agreed.
    8gWpevV.png

6o56m8rbalc9.jpg

yeeea.. about that..

zgjAD9z.png

GT9Hyji.png

Hehe quite messy... 😬

We exchanged messages after this game. He was not pleased to say the least lol

I can imagine! Haha 😁👍
  • Just a few gems from the last couple of nights:

Carey Price lets in the slowest shot ever recorded in NHL history - https://i.imgur.com/PyZWble.gif

actually saw Ryan Nugent-Hopkins score a goal against the Flames that looked just like that lol. guess they're being realistic /j

• DinoSquadQuinn
    136 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Just a few gems from the last couple of nights:

A.I. in front of the net doesn't defend the opponent in front of the net - https://i.imgur.com/9WMlQcs.gif

A.I. doesn't take any defensive action, despite being in the perfect range to stick lift - https://i.imgur.com/6peQojA.gif

Since the patch, goalies are absolutely atrocious:

Weak backhand shovel from the top of the circle, goes in with ease: https://i.imgur.com/GT74H3v.gif

Sauce pass bounces off a goalie who is doing god knows what - https://i.imgur.com/ePPpko0.gif

Carey Price lets in the slowest shot ever recorded in NHL history - https://i.imgur.com/PyZWble.gif

Weak wrister fools Helly - I don't necessarily hate this goal. However, it's weak and I think is a good example of the theme goalies have taken on since the patch - https://i.imgur.com/33vszOl.gif

Here is a real gem - a 190+ foot bullet pass completely bamboozles Anderson - https://i.imgur.com/eWfMmDm.gif

Here's a goal I scored that I shouldn't have scored. All I'm doing is pushing my way through his defenders with ease. Plus, I feel it should've been offside:

https://i.imgur.com/lV1WW6t.gif

xLCDoa4.gif

To be completely serious though, every goalie clip you just showed I have never seen happen. The goalies have been extremely good on my end. I wouldn't mind watching a bad goal go in once in a while since that's life.

The Andersen goal there made me laugh. I must know what happened internally to allow for that to happen.

Interesting clips though.

As for the very last gif - lets not talk about how Appleton clipped the referee.
  • @KidShowtime1867 Your very first replay is exactly what I have been complaining about. The AI just stands their looking dumbfounded. I've been trying to say for weeks that something is just not right. I have probably witnessed this in every single game I have played...hence why I need to walk away. I wish a patch could fix this, but this isn't something new to this game.
  • I've definitely seen the goalie ones a few times. It's as if they are predicting the puck speed for the animation but are triggering the wrong one based on the speed of the puck.
  • This patch is the absolute worst. How do you make the game worse? Ugh.
  • So this happened last night. Dying seconds of the third, down by one with strategies set to max offense. The AI refused to enter the zone. Has anyone seen this?

• Sega82mega
    4239 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    TheMajjam wrote: »
    This patch is the absolute worst. How do you make the game worse? Ugh.

Hmm I might have to agree here.. I think the way we adapted to this patch makes the game, play out worst.

It is harder to do cross creases, yes, but thats not necessary a good thing.. Cause it hasent stop people from -only- trying to go for that play.. Which gives a gameplay that feels really 'forced', many of the goals(cross creases) is probebly not even 'meant' to be, based on everything that was set up just before the goal.

It feels sloppy. No real direaction. No real thought, more than sprint, cross crease, poke.

From the beginning it was a better feeling but I guess when we learned how to use this patch to our best own interests, the generally gameplay took a step back.

It had some good and some bad but I hope for something new further ahead.

In 1vs1 my biggest headache is that everyone seem to be to afraid to challenge, a constant turning away, and too bad it seems to work pretty good too, there hard to get at.

* although I take exception to the delay, the game has felt abit clunky last couple of days, and I have seen some other posts about that, dont know if it's more about that then the patch or something in between... 🤔
    Post edited by Sega82mega on
  • djzeebad wrote: »

To be completely serious though, every goalie clip you just showed I have never seen happen. The goalies have been extremely good on my end. I wouldn't mind watching a bad goal go in once in a while since that's life.

The Andersen goal there made me laugh. I must know what happened internally to allow for that to happen.

As for the very last gif - lets not talk about how Appleton clipped the referee.

Yea for sure - these clips aren't to show things that happen with a regularity. I should've maybe pointed that out.

That being said, just because they don't happen with regularity to me doesn't mean they're not happening regularly to other people. I wanted to document it just in case it becomes a bigger issue.
    @KidShowtime1867 Your very first replay is exactly what I have been complaining about. The AI just stands their looking dumbfounded. I've been trying to say for weeks that something is just not right. I have probably witnessed this in every single game I have played...hence why I need to walk away. I wish a patch could fix this, but this isn't something new to this game.

Yes definitely some A.I. issues in front of the net. But - just last night (and I failed to grab clips) I noticed the A.I. was performing better in front of the net. I made a change in my OVP strategies to collapse and protect net - a very good strategical deterrent to the cross-crease; and I couldn't help but notice some more active defending.

I can't say for sure if the strategy change did anything - I hope to grab some clips of the A.I. and what they do in front of the net based on what strategy is selected, and then compare them. Maybe a project for the weekend.
    I've definitely seen the goalie ones a few times. It's as if they are predicting the puck speed for the animation but are triggering the wrong one based on the speed of the puck.

Yea - I noticed the patch notes had the following items:
    • General tuning for how the ai goalie tracks the puck
    • Various puck cover improvements

It would appear a couple of the gifs posted might show how those changes impacted goalies in a negative way. Like you said - it's as if the goalies are having issues predicting the puck speed.

I haven't noticed that many negative outcomes from the patch. I do see a lot of people who were relying on the cross-crease now suddenly saying the poke check is OP - so I'm really hoping we don't end up in this ebb and flow of pleasing the most vocal complainers.

The game is in a solid state right now with the exception being issues in BAP, Franchise Mode - and the issues exampled above with the A.I. and the goalies.

Others have brought up the stick phasing, clipping - but the explanations laid out by the devs should make sense. I mean - it won't be a reasonable explanation to those who expect the game to mimic the real world 1:1 - but for those of us familiar with game development and have lived through the ups and downs of the NHL franchise, I think the gameplay is, for the most part, in a very good state.

Like I said - not perfect (so don't tear me apart for saying the game is perfect) - but good.

Yes definitely some A.I. issues in front of the net. But - just last night (and I failed to grab clips) I noticed the A.I. was performing better in front of the net. I made a change in my OVP strategies to collapse and protect net - a very good strategical deterrent to the cross-crease; and I couldn't help but notice some more active defending.

I can't say for sure if the strategy change did anything - I hope to grab some clips of the A.I. and what they do in front of the net based on what strategy is selected, and then compare them. Maybe a project for the weekend.

Like I said - not perfect (so don't tear me apart for saying the game is perfect) - but good.

That would be so cool if you manage to do. But no pressure, be with the puppy if she need you more!

And good final words.. 😊

Yea for sure - these clips aren't to show things that happen with a regularity. I should've maybe pointed that out.

That being said, just because they don't happen with regularity to me doesn't mean they're not happening regularly to other people. I wanted to document it just in case it becomes a bigger issue.
    @KidShowtime1867 Your very first replay is exactly what I have been complaining about. The AI just stands their looking dumbfounded. I've been trying to say for weeks that something is just not right. I have probably witnessed this in every single game I have played...hence why I need to walk away. I wish a patch could fix this, but this isn't something new to this game.

I've definitely seen the goalie ones a few times. It's as if they are predicting the puck speed for the animation but are triggering the wrong one based on the speed of the puck.

Yea - I noticed the patch notes had the following items:
    • General tuning for how the ai goalie tracks the puck
    • Various puck cover improvements

It would appear a couple of the gifs posted might show how those changes impacted goalies in a negative way. Like you said - it's as if the goalies are having issues predicting the puck speed.

I haven't noticed that many negative outcomes from the patch. I do see a lot of people who were relying on the cross-crease now suddenly saying the poke check is OP - so I'm really hoping we don't end up in this ebb and flow of pleasing the most vocal complainers.

The game is in a solid state right now with the exception being issues in BAP, Franchise Mode - and the issues exampled above with the A.I. and the goalies.

Others have brought up the stick phasing, clipping - but the explanations laid out by the devs should make sense. I mean - it won't be a reasonable explanation to those who expect the game to mimic the real world 1:1 - but for those of us familiar with game development and have lived through the ups and downs of the NHL franchise, I think the gameplay is, for the most part, in a very good state.

I think the game has potential, Kor. So many cool things you can do. The only problem is that you don't have to use them. Tap, tap, tap, hustle, cross-crease.

It's fun but if this doesn't get altered a bit it will get stale quick. Thats my worry