EA Forums - Banner

The META

Replies

• cross crease and one-timer make the game balanced. you just need how to play defense against them

So, seeing the same play every rush is balance? Sure. I mean, I can play defense against it. That doesn't mean it isn't crap.

If you see a cross-crease play "every rush" then you're not defending it.

I stop it usually. We only have 2 of us in 6's right now. Hard to be everywhere as a C. As a goalie, it is usually pretty easy to anticipate too.

It is the go-to play for a reason though. It is easy to win but the re-playability will not last. I promise you that. At some point, this will turn stale if this is all you see. Something is off when I play defense and force guys to the middle.

You see it every rush because most people who play this are bad...really bad and will take the path of least resistance. Winning means nothing to me. The game, itself, is what matters.

against AI goalies its by FAR the most consistent way to score. there's a few other ways to exploit goalies to pull them off near post, to get them to go down butterfly when you shoot it upstairs, to keep them stuck near post so you can go far post. i only call it exploit because its basically 100% success rates. In 6s with human goalies its obviously a different story. not that human goalies are great but even in drop ins i've seen some elite guys with purple badges constantly stopping really well setup plays and individual scoring efforts alike. but then sometimes you just can't do anything and even good goalies let in some easy shots sometimes. thats the sweet spot if you ask me. thats where this game feels its most realistic.

what i kind of like right now defensively, in theory, you want to defend 3 people working together to score you need at least 3 people to defender. No longer can a good dman/center, stand in the slot, defending against the shooter and multiple scorers looking for a pass in slot/crease/backdoor scenarios because they poke/check shooter/passer and intercept most passes through the slot all at once just by standing there.

but in practice it still definitely feels like offense is OP in this situations. You need to basically play man to man now. its still very easy to score solo, passes get through easier and one timers are as easy than ever. if you get 3 guys attack around the net that know what they are doing you are going to be very hard to stop them unless you have at least 3 defenders that really know how to play defense well.

i've not played or even seen any high level 6s games in 21. but I assume thats what you see. if you see average teams playing defense you likely see guys eventually getting pulled out of position, even a little and easy scoring chances. but can't really comment on what I haven't seen.

long story short there are some improvements to defense but overall its not any easier, in fact likely more difficult to be successful. that can be fulfilling but overall I believe it leaves more frustrated people and less people playing.

@jmwalsh8888

So far, with only 75 games-ish played in 6's, we have seen some interesting things.

1. AI goalies get smoked on cross-creasers. I would say, comfortably, that they save that play 15% of the time. Which isn't enough. To be fair, that should be more 35-75 in favor of scoring because, yes, it is a game and it should be fun. However, goalies are pretty brutal in this situation.
    2. AI goalies are not getting beat nearly as much on high, short-side snipes. I guess, in theory, I will take this trade-off.
    3. I only play G because it is more fun with 2 human net minders. I am, at best, a 6.5/10. With that said though, the game is SO much better this way. Some amazing saves, some bad ones, a decent middle ground there.
    4. Speaking in terms of your man on man mindset, any team who is crazy enough to play us (2 guys, either 1 skater - 1 G, or 2 F) with more human skaters is a crazy person. These teams are the ones we beat the most. We are only division 3 so far but most teams with 3 guys or more only go for the CC play. They make themselves super easy to beat. Couple that with most people skating around like idiots, we have so much space to play with because positioning isn't really taught in this game.
    5. The defensive skill gap this year is awesome.
    6. I still stand by my statement that the forwards do not get penalized nearly as much as defenders do currently.
  • To return to my initial questions because debating the validity/ability to stop this is NOT the issue:

1. Is this really "fun"?
    and
    2. Where is the offensive skill gap?

Once the player-base catches up to the defensive META (ie: preventing/slowing breakouts in the neutral zone) then it will force offensive players to find different avenues to score.

Personally - I am having fun shutting down one-dimensional opponents using proper defence.

Do I screw up sometimes and get a cross-crease scored on me? Yup.

Do I understand and admit my own faults in why they happen? Yup.

Do I use the cross-crease versus an opponent who keeps letting me do it? Yup.

Do I utilize other ways to score once my opponent has come to his senses defensively? You betcha.

I think the people "not having fun" are the ones who are getting bit by the cross-crease bug over and over and blaming the game for it rather than taking the steps to adapt defensively.

Not a popular opinion, I know - but often times the truth isn't popular.

I can buy that. Just for clarity, I am not one of those people. I get a kick out of beating these nerds. 2 of us pound teams 70% of the time. However, I highly doubt this NHL community of gamers will figure this out. They have been taught to be lazy for so long now that their response will be to just quit.

Maybe that works out for the better though? I would rather have a smaller, more hardcore community who can be competitive, rather than a large community of bums who quit after you go up 2-0.

It is funny though, to speak on what you just said about adaptation, so very few players do any of the new dekes/mechanics. They are stuck in the past.
  • TTZ_Dipsy wrote: »
    Puck interceptions are in a horrible spot for defence in my opinion. They removed the ability to just block your opponent and get some incidental pick up, and now that transitional speed was nerfed, the D men have no choice but to hang wayyy back and not be a part of any meaningful plays.

Shot and pass blocking are painfully showing their age with how stiff your character is and now minimal your range of 3D movement really is. Pucks just go right through you, even with near perfect positioning.

I understand the team removed some auto functions because players complained, but the ofense is still able to make insane no-look passes and deflect the puck easier with newer animations. The goalie is still absolute bumcheeks so there is very little point in being a D - you'd be better off just winning games by outscoring your opponent (you know what I mean)

Oh, I know @TTZ_Dipsy .

We do just that. Hence my fun question. Is it really "fun" to be able to score constantly? We have put up 12 goals and over like 4-5 times I think?

I guess fun to me is different than fun to others. Still, nobody has answered my offensive skill gap question...
  • To return to my initial questions because debating the validity/ability to stop this is NOT the issue:

1. Is this really "fun"?
    and

Once the player-base catches up to the defensive META (ie: preventing/slowing breakouts in the neutral zone) then it will force offensive players to find different avenues to score.

Personally - I am having fun shutting down one-dimensional opponents using proper defence.

Do I utilize other ways to score once my opponent has come to his senses defensively? You betcha.

I think the people "not having fun" are the ones who are getting bit by the cross-crease bug over and over and blaming the game for it rather than taking the steps to adapt defensively.

I can buy that. Just for clarity, I am not one of those people. I get a kick out of beating these nerds. 2 of us pound teams 70% of the time. However, I highly doubt this NHL community of gamers will figure this out. They have been taught to be lazy for so long now that their response will be to just quit.

Maybe that works out for the better though? I would rather have a smaller, more hardcore community who can be competitive, rather than a large community of bums who quit after you go up 2-0.

It is funny though, to speak on what you just said about adaptation, so very few players do any of the new dekes/mechanics. They are stuck in the past.

That's a really good point to be honest - you don't see a lot of players using the new mechanics like chip puck or the new dekes.

Definitely stuck in the past, forcing plays that they're used to forcing all the time and now, getting caught defensively for it.

1. Is this really "fun"?
    and

That's a really good point to be honest - you don't see a lot of players using the new mechanics like chip puck or the new dekes.

Definitely stuck in the past, forcing plays that they're used to forcing all the time and now, getting caught defensively for it.

@KidShowtime1867 , I am telling ya! Definitely not the best player out there but I am like the only dude who uses the chip/flip dekes. It is crazy. I have seen 1 guy do the behind the net, Crosby play. Everyone one else is a hustle, force pass player. We are Div 3 and I have only been "wowed" by 1 player/team. They were good, used passing plays, cycled, and they could beat you 1 v 1. It was actually a treat. A break from the monotony. We are platinum 2, I think?, and everyone who is purple (whatever that is) has been hot garbage.

You see a lot of that on O. On D, you still see guys standing in front of their own net. You CAN definitely score with screens. The games we have lost, (my goalie record is decent for an average goalie) are when I suck in between the pipes. Outside of that, I do not see a lot of talent out there in terms of creativity.

1. Is this really "fun"?
    and

@KidShowtime1867 , I am telling ya! Definitely not the best player out there but I am like the only dude who uses the chip/flip dekes. It is crazy. I have seen 1 guy do the behind the net, Crosby play. Everyone one else is a hustle, force pass player. We are Div 3 and I have only been "wowed" by 1 player/team. They were good, used passing plays, cycled, and they could beat you 1 v 1. It was actually a treat. A break from the monotony. We are platinum 2, I think?, and everyone who is purple (whatever that is) has been hot garbage.

You see a lot of that on O. On D, you still see guys standing in front of their own net. You CAN definitely score with screens. The games we have lost, (my goalie record is decent for an average goalie) are when I suck in between the pipes. Outside of that, I do not see a lot of talent out there in terms of creativity.

If you could cheese more with them you would see them alot more.

I love the bank behind the net, sexy.
    Puck interceptions are in a horrible spot for defence in my opinion. They removed the ability to just block your opponent and get some incidental pick up, and now that transitional speed was nerfed, the D men have no choice but to hang wayyy back and not be a part of any meaningful plays.

Shot and pass blocking are painfully showing their age with how stiff your character is and now minimal your range of 3D movement really is. Pucks just go right through you, even with near perfect positioning.

I understand the team removed some auto functions because players complained, but the ofense is still able to make insane no-look passes and deflect the puck easier with newer animations. The goalie is still absolute bumcheeks so there is very little point in being a D - you'd be better off just winning games by outscoring your opponent (you know what I mean)

passing in this game is ridiculously over powered. but one thing i like about that is this encourages more team play. but it can be used to just to ridiculous things for sure.

passing in this game is ridiculously over powered. but one thing i like about that is this encourages more team play. but it can be used to just to ridiculous things for sure.

Especially behind the back passes is OP.

1. Is this really "fun"?
    and

I can't speak for others but i feel that you are best in this game doing what you do well. also the need to be reactive at all times is huge. So I don't like using animations that lock me into sequence i can't get out of. So some of these new things I use sometimes but its rare because of these facts. Is it nice to burn some dude that is overly aggressive attacking you on the boards and not great at doing it while you chip puck of the boards and deke around him? Sure but I'm not a huge fan of giving up possession in this game if i don't have to.

I feel like some of these would work really well against AI defenses though but have yet to play any VS.

dont get me wrong I've used it and I've seen a few players that do it alot. Mostly the one along the boards where they basically hug the boards. but I think to use it in 6s game unless you spent a lot of time playing around with it and are good at it is a bit risky. for me i don't do it unless its obviously best choice and i remember to do it lol.
  • TheMajjam
    794 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    TTZ_Dipsy wrote: »

Someone had to say it. Glad you finally did. The fact of the matter is, you have to be quite good to play defense and win in this game. On the flip side of the same coin, you can play offense with your eyes closed and still be effective.

To answer OP's question. People want winning records more than they want to have fun, and trying to create a skill gap by nerfing things hockey players can manage IRL has made the game into one big imbalanced score-a-thon. EA needs to stop listening to pretty much everyone and just watch a hockey season all the way through, and model their game by what they see. Everyone will be better for it.
  • Sega82mega
    3476 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Best way to help defense would be to nerf the ability for ofense to make insane no-look passes.

If you pass behind your back, the puck should go right back, out of the zone..

Its thoose behind the back passes that makes it so awkward to adjust your defensive player. It become so unnatural angles to correct yourself. And it feels like the A.I is not aware of this passes, like they can't recognize them.. And act correct on them.

If it wasen't for this, it would be a pleasure to play defense.

At least for me and the way I choose to defend.

* the physics law should not make it possible to do thoose passes, it feels like their body is made of rubber.
  • Sega82mega
    3476 posts Member
    edited November 2020

I put this here, cause it belong to the 'meta'.

This is what I mean by sayin, they put the puck as far out on the backhand they can and just dangel like crazy, it makes them untouchable.. And it's a perfect tool to turn away from the play..

In this clip.. Weber had a pretty good advantage on that player.. But beacuse of the board he seems to disappears pretty far into (almost all the way to he's gloves') and with that 'glide-backhand move' weber didn't stand a chance.. A hook pass after this and he would have made my day..

If this was real hockey, I would have no problem to close that space between the board and the forward.

• I agree, offense barely needs to put up any effort to put up goals, while on D you have to utilize several tools to get the job done. Rarely do I see anyone using a cycle game on offense to open up the D; they really don't need to in any way, especially in 1v1 modes. There's always going to be an exploit whether it's hold the puck out unrealistically to make themselves 'immune' to anything the D can do and they can make bullet, accurate passes from this posture which is ridiculous; hits bounce off of them, poke checks lead to a trip, a stick lift will either pass right through the players body or cause a penalty.

The current meta; especially in 1v1 modes and HUT especially is just speed burst down the wing, hold the puck out across the body to make yourself immune to the D, hold RT down for 2 seconds and bullet pass the puck through up to four defenders while just holding up on the RS to get an automatic one timer. It might not work 100% of the time, but then all takes is one little lucky bounce and then they force the pass across increasing the chances of it working simply because the D is reacting to a loose puck and opens themselves up even more.
  • I agree, offense barely needs to put up any effort to put up goals, while on D you have to utilize several tools to get the job done. Rarely do I see anyone using a cycle game on offense to open up the D; they really don't need to in any way, especially in 1v1 modes. There's always going to be an exploit whether it's hold the puck out unrealistically to make themselves 'immune' to anything the D can do and they can make bullet, accurate passes from this posture which is ridiculous; hits bounce off of them, poke checks lead to a trip, a stick lift will either pass right through the players body or cause a penalty.

The current meta; especially in 1v1 modes and HUT especially is just speed burst down the wing, hold the puck out across the body to make yourself immune to the D, hold RT down for 2 seconds and bullet pass the puck through up to four defenders while just holding up on the RS to get an automatic one timer. It might not work 100% of the time, but then all takes is one little lucky bounce and then they force the pass across increasing the chances of it working simply because the D is reacting to a loose puck and opens themselves up even more.

Yes pretty good description of 1vs1 problems.. Speed in combination with hold the puck out across the body. Make the physics really hard to sync.

Because people do anything to avoid body contact, it turns and bends pretty wild out there. And it's that behavior that ruin the gameplay the most.

But thoose times were the opponent get to that stage were there no way to hide and just have to attack without any chance of turning away/back, to avoid contact, thoose times really show me how good this game can be.

Im really impress when this game is in it's best moments but there's still areas in this game were the opponent's that dont want to play real hockey can exploit game mechanics to there advantage and also pretty much take the fun out of it.

But it can't be that far away, to find the exact perfect balance.
  • There are still people playing 2's in club 6's???

Why is this allowed.

For God's sake all these stupid game modes are destroying the populations for this game.

Just make 6's club 4 skaters +

We have like 5 ways of playing 3s. And people doing 2s and 3s in 6s...

Give me a break.

• Sega82mega
    3476 posts Member
    edited November 2020

Im no cross crease hater, but its importen to get it right.

This one.. Im Duchene infront of the net, I know what's coming, this player is good to stall the game, with help of L2.

While he's doing he's thing out in the corner I try to get as good positioning as I can infront of the net.. Im standing eye to eye with Karlsson but the pass goes between my legs..

And to add, all this happen in top speed.. Thats why Duchene don't even react on that laser..

But there's really nothing more to do here.. I got my whole team back home infront of my goalie.. But still.

And it's theese kinda plays that get me that feeling that it's impossible to stop this goal, as long as he keeps trying and forcing harder and harder.

Why is this allowed.

For God's sake all these stupid game modes are destroying the populations for this game.

Give me a break.

When I was playing, I played only 2's or 3's in club 6's. I only play with my brother and a good friend of ours. We gave 3's a try, but we found it to be too arcadish and became uninterested really quickly. Since we only play 3-4 games a week, it's not worth trying to establish a full team.

Anyways, we have 5 ways for playing with 3's? I'm assuming you are exaggerating here because other than 3's or 6's clubs, what can we do? Drop-ins? Cause I'd rather take my chances with the horrendous AI then play with randoms.

Why is this allowed.

Give me a break.

@Mr_Darklighter

Dude, 3's is an arcade disaster zone. It's not even hockey. The worst mode ever.

6's is the closest thing we can get to actually playing the sport with 2 of us who play actual, real life hockey.

I don't know what to tell you. I didn't make the game the way it is. Why should we have to suffer through 3's? None of our friends buy the game anymore.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

This one.. Im Duchene infront of the net, I know what's coming, this player is good to stall the game, with help of L2.

While he's doing he's thing out in the corner I try to get as good positioning as I can infront of the net.. Im standing eye to eye with Karlsson but the pass goes between my legs..

And to add, all this happen in top speed.. Thats why Duchene don't even react on that laser..

But there's really nothing more to do here.. I got my whole team back home infront of my goalie.. But still.

And it's theese kinda plays that get me that feeling that it's impossible to stop this goal, as long as he keeps trying and forcing harder and harder.

@Sega82mega

This play is exactly what I'm talking about. This pass never gets through in hockey. It's a dumb play. It's a force. No skill required there
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

@Sega82mega

This play is exactly what I'm talking about. This pass never gets through in hockey. It's a dumb play. It's a force. No skill required there
    Sega82mega wrote: »

@Sega82mega

i've said this before but it deserves repeating. They had to nerf pass intercepts but not the way they did it.

this feels very much like a lazy just turn down a slider change. Not a change to how passes are intercepted.

if you are in perfect position, with that much distance between you and the passer, the puck should be at least deflected. i think you could get similar results they were really looking for by creating a "cone of influence" based on where the defender's upper body is facing. calculate some simple things like the farther way the less effective your vision is. the farther outside dead center of the cone, the less effective it is. And then do some calculations that says you need enough effective vision to even react. Then other things come into play that decide the rest. Even in perfect scenario, react but have a small amount of random "total failures". it would feel realistic on all sides but make it so if you play proper defensive positioning there's still many situations where unrealistic results happen always on the side of OP offense which takes almost no skill. Just skate to open space, while holding L2 and hammer up on right stick, easy goal.

They've done some good things but certain things like this really need a rewrite.