EA Forums - Banner

Poking checking my way out of this poopsicle stand

Have you ever seen NHL players spamming their poke checking talents? I haven't.. I also know from playing All Star hockey my entire life. When you go for a poke check, and miss. You lose your position, and you are most likely to give up a scoring opportunity. I can't imagine what would happen to a player if he puked out 3 or more poke checks in a row. Absolutely ridiculous. Ea goes through all this trouble to create these eye popping dekes. That are useless when up against a poke check. So why bother creating dekes when they are used 1% of the time? And everyone is more skilled with the R1 button? You call that skill? lol I don't. Nerf it, or lose it. That's my money I'm talking about, if you know what I mean.

Replies

• i agree need a nerf. since the 1.2 update we score less goal
  • HurricaneFza
    466 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    I have to disagree, I dont think the poke needs to be nerfed at all. If anything needs a nerf if the puck protection and auto recoveries.

Lots of times I time it right and hit the puck but nothing happens or it's very minimal and the player retains or gets possession back very easily. Or you get the guy doesn't move, curls his stick and becomes almost invincible. Hits bounce or graze off, pokes result in trips. The only thing you can do is let him rip that behind the back, backhand pass at the speed of light and give you can get in the way.

Just because there are dekes that dont mean you should able use them with impunity. You shouldn't be able to deke though whole teams just because dekes exist and more importantly I dont think you should want that. There has to be a balance and I dont think there is. From my perspective offense is way OP, waaaaaaaaay OP, and it's been that way for a while.
  • Spanks1974 wrote: »
    Have you ever seen NHL players spamming their poke checking talents? I haven't.. I also know from playing All Star hockey my entire life. When you go for a poke check, and miss. You lose your position, and you are most likely to give up a scoring opportunity. I can't imagine what would happen to a player if he puked out 3 or more poke checks in a row. Absolutely ridiculous. Ea goes through all this trouble to create these eye popping dekes. That are useless when up against a poke check. So why bother creating dekes when they are used 1% of the time? And everyone is more skilled with the R1 button? You call that skill? lol I don't. Nerf it, or lose it. That's my money I'm talking about, if you know what I mean.

If you complain about the poke checks in this game, which most of the time end up in penalties, and not the broken scoring in this game than chances are you spam glitch goals, people just started finding a way to stop you, and now you are having trouble scoring.

• Spanks1974 wrote: »

I agree ,it needs a small nerf ,but when I come across a spammer I just skate backwards it's stupid I know but then again this whole game is stupid and unrealistic
  • What exactly is 'all star' hockey?

I've never given up position with a failed poke check attempt in 40 years of playing, but I don't lace my gloves to my skates either...

Actual poke checks in this iteration are unreliable at best, still cause ridiculous penalties, and aren't used nearly as often as the goofy dss mechanic w/manual poke. Glitch goals, 'puck protection', automated dekes, mindlessly simple one timers, and insanely unrealistic passing are just a few examples of garbage programming that ought be addressed before EA messes up poke checks again.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4819 posts EA Community Manager
    Spanks1974 wrote: »

I agree ,it needs a small nerf ,but when I come across a spammer I just skate backwards it's stupid I know but then again this whole game is stupid and unrealistic

I don't skate backwards but I tend to swim around the ice more where I'll turn my back to them to get into a position to pass to my teammate. A spammer eventually will get caught with penalties and tone it down. I'll usually do this when I take a second to realize I'm trying to skate up the ice as quickly as I can, making myself super predictable to the opponent.

Quite happy on the balance of poke-checks at the moment. I'm having more trouble maintaining control of the puck from stick lifts. Any time I get into a somewhat crowded space it's nearly impossible to keep the puck.

Since launch, we've felt the general consensus from forum regulars poke-checks are in a good spot right now.