EA Forums - Banner

Stop lying to yourselves, cross crease is trash

Replies

• [quote="EA_Aljo;c-2169169"][quote="XxLearn2SwimxXx;c-2169050"][quote="EA_Aljo;c-2169048"][quote="j0rtsu67;c-2168985"][quote="EA_Aljo;c-2168965"][quote="XxLearn2SwimxXx;c-2168957"][quote="thegarden94;c-2168830"]The hook pass is just plain stupid and that behind that back pass that you can pass like a missle ,with deadly accuracy tell me EA how can that pass be more accurate and more powerful than on your forehand ,not to mention that it would be physically impossible to make that pass irl ,and let's not forget the backhand pass that you can also pass with deadly accuracy and also just as hard as when your on your forehand ,for the love of God add back some sort of realism back into this series [/quote]

Im tired of seeing the behind the back passes that are so broken that the passing players stick and hands go THROUGH his body to make the pass.[/quote]

Can you get some video of this happening? If they are in control of the puck, it should be getting dislodged when their stick passes through a body/object.[/quote]I can see you misunderstood here, but I'm curious what situation you [b]are[/b] referring... Do you mean that puck should be dislodged in [b]every[/b] situation if puck carriers stick passes through object?[/quote]

As far as I know, yes, they should be losing the puck if they are in possession of it and the stick passes through a body/object.[/quote]

Aljo, i have the video I was talking about but I cannot embed or post links. Can i DM it to you, and you post it?[/quote]

You're welcome to DM me the link. That's fine. What happens when you post it in this thread though? Even if it's not embedded, go ahead and post it here and we can probably fix it.[/quote]

It just says i cant post links. When i get home today ill shoot ya a DM. Thanks.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1839 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    bednarz57 wrote: »
    There are 3 skaters in between the passer and the puck in the scenario above and yet Lemieux still thinks his best option is to curl away to try for a one timer. I mean in some scenarios sure, the defensive play is terrible..... But that is very clearly not the case here. Lemieux is trying to force a pass through and honestly I’m surprised it was picked off because the D-man had to literally turn his whole body to catch it on the backhand. I’ve had my d-man miss breaking up passes when he is facing the right direction.

Like I said - the things that actually happened in that clip are awful.

However, I'm speaking more to the notion that people will go for the cross crease , despite having 66 on a clear brekaway.
    Again. The one timers need to be fixed. That is the only way this issue will stop happening. I remember in NHL 05 on PlayStation 2 one timers were basically a glitch goal. I would purposely get down by 5 only to come back and win it late in the 3rd using only one timers. This was back before online gaming. It’s been an issue forever and they have refused to fix it.

I don't think the current issue with one-timers in the slot is comparable to the '05 Ps2 one-timer goal fest.

It's that the one-timer across the slot is the current 'go-to' for everyone because;

1. Currently, some of the player-base in EASHL/HUT/OVP are having difficulty adjusting to changes made on the defensive side of the puck this year
    2. There are some instances where pucks are going through sticks and/or inert A.I. defenders in front of the net - further enticing offensive players to keep trying to force it

#1 is an issue that will likely be decided by tuners - the vocal people who crave passive defending may make enough noise so that the dev team turns the clock back and they can go back to just sitting in the passing lane, intercepting passes and convincing themselves "yup.. that's defence!"

Whereas, IMO, defending should be active. Despite the fact you may be 'in the passing lane' - you have a responsibility to do SOMETHING in that passing lane. The absence of an 'intercept' button leaves us with other options: stick lift/poke check/hit the intended receiver, force the passer to make the pass sooner than they want, use DSS to discourage the pass and force them in to the corner or - feathering LS to direct your defender in to the direction the pass is coming from. Not just pressing LS towards the pass, but actively feathering the stick; this allows your player to take advantage of their defensive awareness, hand-eye, etc in order to intercept the pass whereas simply pushing LS to 100% will instruct your player to explode in that direction - limiting their ability to successfully intercept a cross crease.

• [quote="Sega82mega;c-2169212"]

Lemieux! 1 on 1 with the Goalie!.. What will he do.... Ooohhh... He's turning away from the goalie.. What was he thinking.. But ooh.. Wait... He throws a hoook...

Weber..

Own goal.

This clip sums up pretty good what I feel for all thoose that's avoid to play hockey... And for hook-passes.

You're on a breakaway(with Lemieux (!!) , do something fun! [/quote]

Zoom in very close next time. His arms, hands, and stick prob go right through his body. I actually caught a 2nd clip last night that ill share when i get home.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    I dont think they will change back defense, it's finaly something to be proud over, gives the game a whole nother level.

But..

"There are some instances where pucks are going through sticks and/or inert A.I. defenders in front of the net."

This are top prio to find and fix, must be bulletproof.

And..

After that, leave defense totally and look at the offense instead, make it more manual, if I can say so.. It's clearly the offense, thats mainly the problem to the balance in this game.

Offense - easy
    Defense - hard

Keep the same level.
  • [quote="TITAN_NHL;c-2169285"]The thing that absolutely blows my mind is the fact that it takes 1 game to realize it’s broken, and which tells me nobody actually tested this game before shipping it.

Then you have the developers asking for “clips” of this happening, like how about instead you log on and play 1 online game and find out for yourselves. Like it’s not our job to hold their hand and babysit them.

Why every year does there have to be something completely broken that EA refuses to fix until half their player base calls it quits and moves on because it’s the same old crap every year.

Do you guys not realize at this point the community has no faith in you guys and you’re on a short leash for retaining players after release each year?

Like my god maybe I got spoiled playing Blizzard games the majority of my life, but this is next level bad and the fact they charge the same price as actual triple A games is insulting[/quote]

Tbh, i love the way the gameplay FEELS this year save the cross creases, BUT this year also has a very unfinished feel. Same menus (basically), same menu music, same font throughout, some very inexcusable new bugs, pucks and sticks going through things they shouldnt, sound cutting out after goals, black screen on penalty shots, franchise broken, bap upgrade was nice in theory but once you break the shiny surface, its still a turd, just more polished. Oh, and as usual terrible servers. I could excuse some of this on a brand new engine but come on fellas, you've had this engine for years.

@EA_Aljo
    Im about to dm you that video
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

Lemieux! 1 on 1 with the Goalie!.. What will he do.... Ooohhh... He's turning away from the goalie.. What was he thinking.. But ooh.. Wait... He throws a hoook...

Weber..

Own goal.

This clip sums up pretty good what I feel for all thoose that's avoid to play hockey... And for hook-passes.

You're on a breakaway(with Lemieux (!!) , do something fun!

Zoom in very close next time. His arms, hands, and stick prob go right through his body. I actually caught a 2nd clip last night that ill share when i get home.

Hehe Im not sure im ready to look.. I am allergic to this 'thing'. I want it out of the game! 😏
  • [quote="Sega82mega;c-2169295"][quote="XxLearn2SwimxXx;c-2169291"][quote="Sega82mega;c-2169212"]

Weber..

Own goal.

You're on a breakaway(with Lemieux (!!) , do something fun! [/quote]

Zoom in very close next time. His arms, hands, and stick prob go right through his body. I actually caught a 2nd clip last night that ill share when i get home.[/quote]

Hehe Im not sure im ready to look.. I am allergic to this 'thing'. I want it out of the game! 😏[/quote]

maybe im just missing it or cant cus acct is new but can i not send DM either?
  • bednarz57 wrote: »
    When people are passing up breakaways with one of the best players in the game to curl for a one timer you know something is messed up.

I agree, but I would also argue that when people are lacking the ability to play defensively-sound enough to stop cross-creasers, thus propagating the use of them ten-fold, then something is messed up.

Is it lack of defensive tools? Or is it a lack of defensive understanding?

I know, I know..." you always blame the player "

I guess my point is; why is it that some people can defend the cross-crease without issue, but others seemingly fall victim to it consistently enough to warrant not playing the game anymore?

Edit: I just would like to add that Sega's clip does show some awful things.. an accurate, no-look Hook pass that was luckily intercepted - and an age-old issue where teammate interaction (in this case, player-goalie) causes the puck to dislodge at the point where the stick is clipping through the goalie. Downright awful.

That said - I chalk up the cross-crease attempt to habit in the META we're working with - which, IMO, is being dictated by poor defensive play being put forth by human players across all modes.

Is it because things like the no-look hook pass seem to work more than they should? Absolutely.

Is it JUST because of things like that? Absolutely not.

The game mechanics dictate that a percentage of trash CC attempts will be successful, the issue is that the rate is high enough to warrant players continuing to force this play.

Also its worth keeping in mind that in 20 a defender could box out a puck carrier and stick lift the puck away, while in 21 lifts and sweeps have inexplicably been rendered useless. All we have are poke spamming, body if laid perfectly and intercepts are wishy-washy but somehow only in the crease, which is super odd. If you try to beat a forecheck with a risky pass its intercepted 100% of the time, but somehow a defensive build is less capable on a cross crease attempt.
  • http s://1drv.ms/v/s!Am Ia6mpR-FuTgnR6yWQojG7HV5C0

Aljo,it wont even let me dm you so ill post a broken up link for you guys to fix in your browser lol
  • this game is perfect ,its just cause you don't know yet :)
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    Davanial wrote: »
    TITAN_NHL wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »

Weber..

Own goal.

You're on a breakaway(with Lemieux (!!) , do something fun!

Yep this is literally the poster goal for how this game plays. Absolutely no skill with full reward all the time in this trash heap of a game

to be fair the only reason it was rewarded is because own goal. That happens WAY too easily in this game. game goes too fast but you can see quite clearly its intercepted and carried into the net. That should never happen. plenty of time for defender to avoid the net or pass puck into corner.

Plenty of time in slow motion, perhaps. The automatic orientation toward the middle ice doesn't help, either. The puck was probably in the net before buddy even realized he had it, or could wrestle control of his player from the animation.

Yeah naah, I manage to see the read dot over my head, so I knew I had the puck, but it wasen't more room to cut away from the net, so I was 100% helpless. That goal had to be.

to be clear I was saying in real life there was plenty of time. in this game they need to do something to help stop that.
  • bednarz57 wrote: »
    There are 3 skaters in between the passer and the puck in the scenario above and yet Lemieux still thinks his best option is to curl away to try for a one timer. I mean in some scenarios sure, the defensive play is terrible..... But that is very clearly not the case here. Lemieux is trying to force a pass through and honestly I’m surprised it was picked off because the D-man had to literally turn his whole body to catch it on the backhand. I’ve had my d-man miss breaking up passes when he is facing the right direction.

Like I said - the things that actually happened in that clip are awful.

However, I'm speaking more to the notion that people will go for the cross crease , despite having 66 on a clear brekaway.
    Again. The one timers need to be fixed. That is the only way this issue will stop happening. I remember in NHL 05 on PlayStation 2 one timers were basically a glitch goal. I would purposely get down by 5 only to come back and win it late in the 3rd using only one timers. This was back before online gaming. It’s been an issue forever and they have refused to fix it.

I don't think the current issue with one-timers in the slot is comparable to the '05 Ps2 one-timer goal fest.

It's that the one-timer across the slot is the current 'go-to' for everyone because;

1. Currently, some of the player-base in EASHL/HUT/OVP are having difficulty adjusting to changes made on the defensive side of the puck this year
    2. There are some instances where pucks are going through sticks and/or inert A.I. defenders in front of the net - further enticing offensive players to keep trying to force it

#1 is an issue that will likely be decided by tuners - the vocal people who crave passive defending may make enough noise so that the dev team turns the clock back and they can go back to just sitting in the passing lane, intercepting passes and convincing themselves "yup.. that's defence!"

Whereas, IMO, defending should be active. Despite the fact you may be 'in the passing lane' - you have a responsibility to do SOMETHING in that passing lane. The absence of an 'intercept' button leaves us with other options: stick lift/poke check/hit the intended receiver, force the passer to make the pass sooner than they want, use DSS to discourage the pass and force them in to the corner or - feathering LS to direct your defender in to the direction the pass is coming from. Not just pressing LS towards the pass, but actively feathering the stick; this allows your player to take advantage of their defensive awareness, hand-eye, etc in order to intercept the pass whereas simply pushing LS to 100% will instruct your player to explode in that direction - limiting their ability to successfully intercept a cross crease.

The one timer is the current go to because it is so easy to perform. No other reason. Even when you have defenders in the way forwards are still trying to force it through because they know there is more than a 50/50 chance it will result in a pass directly on the receiving players tape and a perfect shot into the net.

All this work defenders have to do and all the shooter needs to do is literally hold up on the right stick. One timers are not easy to perform in real life and therefore shouldn’t be easy to perform in the video game. I’m not asking for defense to be made easier. I am asking for one-timers to be harder to perform. That is it. That is my sole complaint right now. Make one timers harder to execute. When one timers are harder to execute people will need to find other ways to score. This will make each game feel different and unique. Playing against someone doing the same thing every time they get the puck is just straight up boring. It’s why I have completely stopped playing 1v1. If it wasn’t for the social aspect of EASHL with friends I wouldn’t buy the game anymore.

Every single year offense is given more and more tools. When was the last they added a defensive animation? When was the last time any part of the defense was improved upon? Do you find it fun trying to stop the same play game after game? It turns people off from playing because it becomes so repetitive.
  • EA_Aljo
    3229 posts EA Community Manager
    http s://1drv.ms/v/s!Am Ia6mpR-FuTgnR6yWQojG7HV5C0

Aljo,it wont even let me dm you so ill post a broken up link for you guys to fix in your browser lol

I fixed the link, but it still won't work. Are you not able to put it up on YouTube?
  • I miss being able to snipe. Or get creative on breakaways.

Getting really bored of the necessity of one-timers in this game. If you want to win you just gotta do it. Over and over...and over and over...and over... then some more...
  • mikeq67 wrote: »
    Rewarding dmen for playing solid positional defense and being in a passing line with a puck intercept or at least a deflection? Bad

Rewarding a dmen for constantly charging the puck trying to check or mashing poke check with the puck being in his skates as his terrible defensive effort turns into a rush. Perfectly fine.

Thats everything I need to know about the god awful trajectory this game continues to be on year after year. Reward terrible play while punishing anything that resembles actual hockey. Rewarded for doing and forcing the same stuff over and over again. Just watch team after team force passes through people, meanwhile I try to utilize a saucer pass and some idiot with his back turned but slightly in the passing line will auto bat the puck out of the air as a defensive play. How in the hell can that make sense to anyone?

☝️This guy right here, SPOT ON!
  • I like the challenge of this game, and other aspects of the game, but where are slapshot goals in this game? They almost never go in. If my team is on the powerplay, or even the CPU team is on a powerplay and they take a rocket slapshot from the slot, or from the point, the goalie saves it with ease, but than again the CPU almost never attempts slapshots, they just keep trying to force the cross crease play non-stop, they barely even try to score in other ways. I only bought this game a week ago and almost ready to give up on it. The lack of variety in the type of goals scored it terrible, and really ruining the game. I have adjusted the sliders like crazy and still slapshots are almost impossible to score. Far too much goal frequency and strategy placed on cross crease and one timers. Pretty disappointed thus far.
  • Lol, I seriously get scared when I have a PP in HUT since it's much easier to score on a shorthanded breakaway than it is to set up some sort of normal PP.
  • [quote="BoboFreddie;c-2169470"]Lol, I seriously get scared when I have a PP in HUT since it's much easier to score on a shorthanded breakaway than it is to set up some sort of normal PP.[/quote]

I won a game by scoring 3 shortys last night. Had 5 pp but the only goals were sh. Seems easier to score sorties than pp goals

• Go to the end of the clip and the pass is in there.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4836 posts EA Community Manager
    Lol, I seriously get scared when I have a PP in HUT since it's much easier to score on a shorthanded breakaway than it is to set up some sort of normal PP.

I won a game by scoring 3 shortys last night. Had 5 pp but the only goals were sh. Seems easier to score sorties than pp goals

I feel like it's due to the opponent focusing too much on offense, letting their guard down on defense. Agree with you though as I seem to have as much if not better success when I'm in the sinbin.