604 posts Member
edited November 2020
1a. Should your opponent's connection affect your gameplay experience
  • in server based modes (HUT, CHEL)?
  • in P2P modes?

1b. Should your team mates connection affect your gameplay experience
  • in P2P modes?

2. Should your opponent's connection affect your network performance graph?
  • in server based modes?
  • in P2P modes?

3. In club games, should the user with best connection be the leader? Or does it matter at all?

4. What comes to "best" connection...
  • is it more depending on UL/DL or latency/ping?
  • what are the minimum requirements for UL/DL in NHL 21?
  • what is the recommended latency/ping for smooth gameplay in NHL 21?

5. And finally, should your connection quality affect to your gameplay experience in Squad Battle (or any game played against CPU in HUT where the connection to server is mandatory)?

Edit: @NHLDev @NHL_Live_Support @EA_Blueberry @EA_Aljo @EA_Roger
Added above for better "visibility"...

Post edited by j0rtsu67 on

Replies

• [quote="j0rtsu67;d-266191"]1a. Should your [b]opponent's[/b] connection affect[b] [u]your[/u] gameplay experience[/b]
    [list]
    [*] in server based modes (HUT, CHEL)?
    [*] in P2P modes?
    [/list]

1b. Should your [b]team mates[/b] connection affect[b] [u]your[/u] gameplay experience[/b]
    [list]
    [*] in server based modes (HUT, CHEL)?
    [*] in P2P modes?
    [/list]

2. Should your opponent's connection affect [b]your network performance graph?[/b]
    [list]
    [*] in server based modes?
    [*] in P2P modes?
    [/list][b][/b]

3. In club games, should the [b]user with best connection[/b] be the leader? Or does it matter at all?

4. What comes to "[b]best[/b]" connection...
    [list]
    [*] is it more depending on UL/DL or latency/ping?
    [*] what are the minimum requirements for UL/DL in NHL 21?
    [*] what is the recommended latency/ping for smooth gameplay in NHL 21?
    [/list]

5. And finally, should your connection quality affect to your gameplay experience in Squad Battle (or [b]any game played against CPU[/b] in HUT where the connection to server is mandatory)?

[/quote]

Number 5 is crucial because i still get the old fat man in sb. I swear it has to do with simply being connected to EA servers.
  • These are all good questions. I swear I'd love to get someone from the IT side at EA to come on here and give us some answers. "We can run through some troubleshooting if you'd like" isn't sufficient.
  • Don't expect much...
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Don't expect much...
    I wasn't... But at least something?! :#
  • Confusion2000
    239 posts Member
    edited December 2020
    32Doak wrote: »
    These are all good questions. I swear I'd love to get someone from the IT side at EA to come on here and give us some answers. "We can run through some troubleshooting if you'd like" isn't sufficient.

To continue.....EA, I have been doing nothing but troubleshooting this game series for 5 years now, and I can say with great amounts of certainty that whatever is causing these issues for people don't really have anything to do with their internet connection in the home. However, I cannot say with a lot of certainty whether it's the way the game is written or the way it's reacting to different internet types, hops, or peering. As a consumer that isn't MY problem to fix, nor am I trained to figure it out. You make the big bucks EA, not me.
  • what are connection problem do you have guys? is it when you start the game it show a window before the main menu stating can't connect to server and when pressing hut or change other online mode it does a window again with can't connect to server or network issue?
  • May or may not be related, but after only finding games with 70+ ping, I went into the club search function on WoC and its showing the preferred server as east, central, and now north east. I keep restarting the game hoping it shows up as west, but so far no luck.

Seems to be a problem with the game recognizing where people are located. Maybe.
  • what are connection problem do you have guys? is it when you start the game it show a window before the main menu stating can't connect to server and when pressing hut or change other online mode it does a window again with can't connect to server or network issue?

This happens to me every single day. Never had this on previous years.
  • 32Doak wrote: »
    These are all good questions. I swear I'd love to get someone from the IT side at EA to come on here and give us some answers. "We can run through some troubleshooting if you'd like" isn't sufficient.

To continue.....EA, I have been doing nothing but troubleshooting this game series for 5 years now, and I can say with great amounts of certainty that whatever is causing these issues for people don't really have anything to do with their internet connection in the home. ....

Troubleshooting this game series for 5 years now...that's what I've doing as well. I've tried everything on my end (different TV,monitor,router,cables, ISP etc.), nothing worked consistently, "fat man lag" is still an occurence as well as games where my oppenent just "flies" on the ice and my players seem to be stuck in mud even though the game shows a 15-20ms ping.

I exchanged some friendly messages with @EA_Aljo but he doesn't even know what I am talking about regarding "fat man lag" so one can only speculate why this is not fixed or focused on, maybe they can't pinpoint the problem or they know about it and the costs involved are not worth it (=player base is too small) or there might be some legal repercussions if they admit that their code is faulty, it's been a problem for years.

And the Network Performance screen is more or less useless, a friend of mine had a ping response of 8ms and played against someone with 35ms and his connect was not good (Xbox One, German player on Central European Servers, have a lot of problems playing against guys from Eastern Europe (Czech Republic for example) as well). And I think that's where the problem basically is, what is the server doing to "even out" the connection for both players? The player with the better connection seems to get punished more often than not.

I think overall, even though it's very technical, the lack of transparency when it comes to the networking part of the game is disappointing and the OP questions are all valid. What servers are used, AWS or do they use their own? Where are they? Why can't we choose the servers or have a more meaningful Network Performance screen? Anyway, it would be nice to get some answers from a "technical" guy.
  • 32Doak wrote: »

To continue.....EA, I have been doing nothing but troubleshooting this game series for 5 years now, and I can say with great amounts of certainty that whatever is causing these issues for people don't really have anything to do with their internet connection in the home. ....

Troubleshooting this game series for 5 years now...that's what I've doing as well. I've tried everything on my end (different TV,monitor,router,cables, ISP etc.), nothing worked consistently, "fat man lag" is still an occurence as well as games where my oppenent just "flies" on the ice and my players seem to be stuck in mud even though the game shows a 15-20ms ping.

I exchanged some friendly messages with @EA_Aljo but he doesn't even know what I am talking about regarding "fat man lag" so one can only speculate why this is not fixed or focused on, maybe they can't pinpoint the problem or they know about it and the costs involved are not worth it (=player base is too small) or there might be some legal repercussions if they admit that their code is faulty, it's been a problem for years.

And the Network Performance screen is more or less useless, a friend of mine had a ping response of 8ms and played against someone with 35ms and his connect was not good (Xbox One, German player on Central European Servers, have a lot of problems playing against guys from Eastern Europe (Czech Republic for example) as well). And I think that's where the problem basically is, what is the server doing to "even out" the connection for both players? The player with the better connection seems to get punished more often than not.

I think overall, even though it's very technical, the lack of transparency when it comes to the networking part of the game is disappointing and the OP questions are all valid. What servers are used, AWS or do they use their own? Where are they? Why can't we choose the servers or have a more meaningful Network Performance screen? Anyway, it would be nice to get some answers from a "technical" guy.

Good post.

But I dont think there is any answers on 'our' questions, cause if there was, we would already had them.

I think we all agree, what connection/respons you have to the game, will have a great impact on how the game will go.

If two equal players is up against each other, there's a big risk the one with 'better' connection will take the win.

But ofc, it's not just NHL that suffer from this problem, but I sometimes wonder if it's more notable in a hockey game then how it is in a Shooter game, for example.

It's easy to lose the control over your player if you don't do everything right in the exact perfect time, slightest slip, and it may cause you big damage.

Perhaps the skating engine they are using, is very vulnerable when it comes to input lag.

personally 21 is much more responsive then any other game sence I started with 15, but I wouldn’t mind if we could see some more improvements. Cause it can really decide if your 'gaming night' will be awsome or a living nightmare.
  • EA_Aljo
    2608 posts EA Community Manager

I understand what fatman lag is. We haven't found anything in the game that is causing this to happen though. From what we can tell, it's lag resulting from any number of issues with the connection. We can't choose to play on the exact same connection with the same ISP with the same equipment so it's not something we can easily reproduce. It's also not showing up on tests. So, this is something that has been extremely difficult to track down. There are many different variables that could contribute to it happening. Our servers are just one part of it. If this happened to everyone, it would point more to being an issue on our end, but we also only hear from a small part of the community about this. Not denying its existence. Just saying, we're not able to tie it to being related to the game or its servers.
  • EA_Aljo
    j0rtsu67 wrote: »
    • in P2P modes?

• in P2P modes?

• in server based modes?
    • in P2P modes?

3. In club games, should the user with best connection be the leader? Or does it matter at all?

5. And finally, should your connection quality affect to your gameplay experience in Squad Battle (or any game played against CPU in HUT where the connection to server is mandatory)?

Almost all modes are using dedicated servers. Online Versus still uses P2P connections so if you or your opponent has a bad connection, both will feel it.

I don't have the numbers on the minimum requirements. However, they are quite low. I believe the minimum is about 10 MBPS for download. Upload is normally about 10% of what your download is. I'll see if I can get some numbers and will respond if I do. For ping, obviously lower is better. If you're regularly over 100 ms, you're going to have noticeable lag. I personally play with a 55 - 65 ms average and don't feel any lag. The game plays very smooth and stable. There are others that report the game being unplayable for them at that high of a ping. So, maybe I'm just used to it and not noticing. How a connection feels can be subjective as well when you're talking about fractions of a second in response time.

For Squad Battles, you need at least a stable connection to remain connected to HUT. If you have a bad or slow connection, you shouldn't see any lag since you're hosting the game on your system.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »

I understand what fatman lag is. We haven't found anything in the game that is causing this to happen though. From what we can tell, it's lag resulting from any number of issues with the connection. We can't choose to play on the exact same connection with the same ISP with the same equipment so it's not something we can easily reproduce. It's also not showing up on tests. So, this is something that has been extremely difficult to track down. There are many different variables that could contribute to it happening. Our servers are just one part of it. If this happened to everyone, it would point more to being an issue on our end, but we also only hear from a small part of the community about this. Not denying its existence. Just saying, we're not able to tie it to being related to the game or its servers.

my internet provider changed my modem,router and all cables. i still have the problem of network issue with EA server ,message stating if could be my network lol. i'm not disconnected from game but i do have all problem mentioned by the previous user
  • Z0mbieBabyJesus
    1475 posts Member
    edited December 2020
    so i finally did a uotrace on my pc, and it looks like a chunk of the hops are having 100% packet loss. All with some zayo data centers.

Host Name IP Address Hop Ping Time Ping Avg % Loss Pkts r/s Ping best/worst
    hitronhub.home 192.168.0.1 1 1ms 0ms 0% 12 / 12 0ms / 1ms
    * Unknown Host * 50.66.128.1 2 7ms 8ms 0% 12 / 12 7ms / 13ms
    rc3so-be114-1.cg.shawcable.net 64.59.131.89 3 7ms 10ms 0% 12 / 12 7ms / 25ms
    rc1wt-be82.wa.shawcable.net 66.163.76.9 4 30ms 31ms 0% 12 / 12 29ms / 36ms
    six.zayo.com 206.81.80.19 5 35ms 100% 0 / 11
    ae28.cs2.sea1.us.eth.zayo.com 64.125.29.104 6 78ms 100% 0 / 11
    ae6.cs4.ord2.us.eth.zayo.com 64.125.29.29 7 83ms 100% 0 / 11
    ae3.cs2.lga5.us.eth.zayo.com 64.125.29.212 8 93ms 100% 0 / 11
    ae24.cs4.iad93.us.eth.zayo.com 64.125.28.191 9 84ms 100% 0 / 11
    ae1.er2.iad10.us.zip.zayo.com 64.125.25.165 10 89ms 81ms 0% 11 / 11 78ms / 89ms
    64.125.199.190.t00673-02.above.net 64.125.199.190 11 83ms 100% 0 / 11
    * Unknown Host * 159.153.92.98 12 96ms 97ms 0% 11 / 11 96ms / 99ms
    * Unknown Host * 159.153.92.94 13 96ms 99ms 0% 11 / 11 96ms / 112ms
    easo.ea.com 159.153.64.173 14 96ms 97ms 9% 10 / 11 95ms / 108ms

would that be whats causing my game to feel like its a second delayed, i can't do anything, and the source of my online frustrations? what do i do about it? How would I go about changing the route?
    Post edited by Z0mbieBabyJesus on
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    • in P2P modes?

• in P2P modes?

• in server based modes?
    • in P2P modes?

Almost all modes are using dedicated servers. Online Versus still uses P2P connections so if you or your opponent has a bad connection, both will feel it.

I don't have the numbers on the minimum requirements. However, they are quite low. I believe the minimum is about 10 MBPS for download. Upload is normally about 10% of what your download is. I'll see if I can get some numbers and will respond if I do. For ping, obviously lower is better. If you're regularly over 100 ms, you're going to have noticeable lag. I personally play with a 55 - 65 ms average and don't feel any lag. The game plays very smooth and stable. There are others that report the game being unplayable for them at that high of a ping. So, maybe I'm just used to it and not noticing. How a connection feels can be subjective as well when you're talking about fractions of a second in response time.

For Squad Battles, you need at least a stable connection to remain connected to HUT. If you have a bad or slow connection, you shouldn't see any lag since you're hosting the game on your system.

I just wanted to throw some ideas around in response to that. I have played higher ping games that were smoother and then played lower ping games that were a dumpster fire. Then vice-versa happens. I'm usually a 40-55ms player on servers and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason when the fat-man lag happens and when it doesn't, and I wish could say that the "doesn't" outweighs the "does", but that has not been the case.

What if this problem doesn't have anything to do with ping? I don't know enough about networking really, but I use a program called Ping Plotter to see what my traceroutes are doing in real-time. You can choose how often it updates (I use one second) and for me there seems to always be one hop that shows massive packet loss (4.69.206.81 ae-2-3602.ear3.Washington1.Level3.net). The previous 10 hops in the route slowly progress from 0 to 30ms and look stable. Then you have this one coming in around 50-55ms usually with all the packet loss. Then I have four more hops after that which are stable around the same 50-55ms to finish the route. I don't know if that means this one hop is the root of all evil here, but if it is that is something that I have no control over.

I could photograph what the graph looks like on my end if that would help in any way, but I'm not sure how to insert photos on these forums.
  • EA_Aljo
    so i finally did a uotrace on my pc, and it looks like a chunk of the hops are having 100% packet loss. All with some zayo data centers.

would that be whats causing my game to feel like its a second delayed, i can't do anything, and the source of my online frustrations? what do i do about it? How would I go about changing the route?

The 100% loss ones are fine. That means those servers aren't allowing pings so they aren't returning any data. The 9% loss is more worrisome. You should let the test run up to 100 packets to get more accurate results. From what I can tell though, your ping is jumping up quite a bit on the 6th hop. It's not enough to disconnect you, but it's enough to feel a difference. By the time you get to our servers, your ping is almost at 100. This is all happening before you reach our server you're hitting for the test. If you could run that again and send at least 100 packets, that would give us some better data.
  • EA_Aljo
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    • in P2P modes?

• in P2P modes?

• in server based modes?
    • in P2P modes?

I just wanted to throw some ideas around in response to that. I have played higher ping games that were smoother and then played lower ping games that were a dumpster fire. Then vice-versa happens. I'm usually a 40-55ms player on servers and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason when the fat-man lag happens and when it doesn't, and I wish could say that the "doesn't" outweighs the "does", but that has not been the case.

What if this problem doesn't have anything to do with ping? I don't know enough about networking really, but I use a program called Ping Plotter to see what my traceroutes are doing in real-time. You can choose how often it updates (I use one second) and for me there seems to always be one hop that shows massive packet loss (4.69.206.81 ae-2-3602.ear3.Washington1.Level3.net). The previous 10 hops in the route slowly progress from 0 to 30ms and look stable. Then you have this one coming in around 50-55ms usually with all the packet loss. Then I have four more hops after that which are stable around the same 50-55ms to finish the route. I don't know if that means this one hop is the root of all evil here, but if it is that is something that I have no control over.

I could photograph what the graph looks like on my end if that would help in any way, but I'm not sure how to insert photos on these forums.

Just take a screenshot and then hit the icon that looks like a picture. When you hover over it, it says "attach image". That's what you want to use to attach an image to a post.
  • Z0mbieBabyJesus
    1475 posts Member
    edited December 2020

The 100% loss ones are fine. That means those servers aren't allowing pings so they aren't returning any data. The 9% loss is more worrisome. You should let the test run up to 100 packets to get more accurate results. From what I can tell though, your ping is jumping up quite a bit on the 6th hop. It's not enough to disconnect you, but it's enough to feel a difference. By the time you get to our servers, your ping is almost at 100. This is all happening before you reach our server you're hitting for the test. If you could run that again and send at least 100 packets, that would give us some better data.

I'll do that now. Test this morning looks worse so far tbh. I'll copy and paste the results when it's finsihed.

Thanks

here's the next set I just finished. seems once it hits that zayo data center it routes the long way to ea? can my IP fix this from Calgary? or am i just doomed to never play online without sheer frustration? thanks for your help. Sorry if i've been a bit of a jerk here, but hopefully you can see why i'm having frustrations lol. Looks like the first zayo center on hop 5 is in washington, but then 6 goes ALLLL the way to georgia? shouldn't it be routed to California? my recommended server is the north west server in game when i search for clubs. What makes the data server decide to send the next hop to the east coast? *also has some New York in the mix for good measure lol.

hitronhub.home 192.168.0.1 1 1ms 0ms 0% 109 / 109 0ms / 2ms
    * Unknown Host * 50.66.128.1 2 7ms 7ms 0% 108 / 109 6ms / 31ms
    rc3so-be114-1.cg.shawcable.net 64.59.131.89 3 7ms 8ms 0% 108 / 109 7ms / 20ms
    rc1wt-be82.wa.shawcable.net 66.163.76.9 4 32ms 29ms 0% 109 / 109 28ms / 44ms
    six.zayo.com 206.81.80.19 5 30ms 100% 0 / 109
    ae28.cs2.sea1.us.eth.zayo.com 64.125.29.104 6 92ms 100% 0 / 109
    ae6.cs4.ord2.us.eth.zayo.com 64.125.29.29 7 81ms 100% 0 / 109
    ae3.cs2.lga5.us.eth.zayo.com 64.125.29.212 8 87ms 100% 0 / 108
    * Unknown Host * 0.0.0.0 9 0ms
    ae1.er2.iad10.us.zip.zayo.com 64.125.25.165 10 79ms 80ms 0% 108 / 108 78ms / 134ms
    64.125.199.190.t00673-02.above.net 64.125.199.190 11 83ms 100% 0 / 108
    * Unknown Host * 159.153.92.98 12 96ms 97ms 0% 108 / 108 96ms / 151ms
    * Unknown Host * 159.153.92.94 13 96ms 111ms 0% 108 / 108 96ms / 228ms
    bfbc2-ps3.gos.ea.com 159.153.64.173 14 95ms 96ms 0% 108 / 108 94ms / 140ms
    Post edited by Z0mbieBabyJesus on
  • EA_Aljo

I'll do that now. Test this morning looks worse so far tbh. I'll copy and paste the results when it's finsihed.

Thanks

here's the next set I just finished. seems once it hits that zayo data center it routes the long way to ea? can my IP fix this from Calgary? or am i just doomed to never play online without sheer frustration? thanks for your help. Sorry if i've been a bit of a jerk here, but hopefully you can see why i'm having frustrations lol. Looks like the first zayo center on hop 5 is in washington, but then 6 goes ALLLL the way to georgia? shouldn't it be routed to California? my recommended server is the north west server in game when i search for clubs. What makes the data server decide to send the next hop to the east coast? *also has some New York in the mix for good measure lol.

hitronhub.home 192.168.0.1 1 1ms 0ms 0% 109 / 109 0ms / 2ms
    * Unknown Host * 50.66.128.1 2 7ms 7ms 0% 108 / 109 6ms / 31ms
    rc3so-be114-1.cg.shawcable.net 64.59.131.89 3 7ms 8ms 0% 108 / 109 7ms / 20ms
    rc1wt-be82.wa.shawcable.net 66.163.76.9 4 32ms 29ms 0% 109 / 109 28ms / 44ms
    six.zayo.com 206.81.80.19 5 30ms 100% 0 / 109
    ae28.cs2.sea1.us.eth.zayo.com 64.125.29.104 6 92ms 100% 0 / 109
    ae6.cs4.ord2.us.eth.zayo.com 64.125.29.29 7 81ms 100% 0 / 109
    ae3.cs2.lga5.us.eth.zayo.com 64.125.29.212 8 87ms 100% 0 / 108
    * Unknown Host * 0.0.0.0 9 0ms
    ae1.er2.iad10.us.zip.zayo.com 64.125.25.165 10 79ms 80ms 0% 108 / 108 78ms / 134ms
    64.125.199.190.t00673-02.above.net 64.125.199.190 11 83ms 100% 0 / 108
    * Unknown Host * 159.153.92.98 12 96ms 97ms 0% 108 / 108 96ms / 151ms
    * Unknown Host * 159.153.92.94 13 96ms 111ms 0% 108 / 108 96ms / 228ms
    bfbc2-ps3.gos.ea.com 159.153.64.173 14 95ms 96ms 0% 108 / 108 94ms / 140ms

The routing is handled by your ISP. Not us. Also, you're not pinging the server you play NHL on. This is just a server of ours in North America used for these ping tests. The higher pings towards the bottom of the list could be due to the distance between you and the server you're pinging. We don't have one closer to you set up for this. Have you tried opening ports or using alternate DNS settings?