EA Forums - Banner

Am I able?

I don't have NHL21 yet but I have a question. can we change positions mid carear? Like D to a Forward? our be a forward but secondary position is RD or LD? Or Vice Versa.

Replies

• I don't have NHL21 yet but I have a question. can we change positions mid carear? Like D to a Forward? our be a forward but secondary position is RD or LD? Or Vice Versa.

No it's not possible, basically it's not happening on real life either.
  • The only player that I know that was promoted to a new position in real-life was Mathieu Dandenault with the Detroit Red Wings. Dandenault was a right winger as a junior player for the Sherbrooke Faucons in the QJMHL. Then, he played a few years in the AHL. First as a right winger. Then, the Red Wings taught him how to play defense. Also, in the 1960's there was a player named Red Kelly that played defense for the Detroit Red Wings then moved to play center after being traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs. It is so rare that it makes sense that the game does not support that.

One thing that would be cool and realistic is if you could change your personality trait as your career goes along. For example, start as an Offensive Defenseman as a rookie. Then, move to a Two-Way Defenseman mid-career, to finish as a Defensive Defenseman in the latter stages of your career. A real-life example of that would be Chris Chelios.
  • Brent burns also switched.

But no you cannot change your position. There’s a lot in the game you can’t change anymore
  • Jeff_frm_Edmonds
    807 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Ummm.....Hello!?!?!?

Sergei Fedorov, anyone?!?!?!?

There is acutally a long list of players that have gone from Forward to D or vice versa.

Mark Howe moved to D when the WHA merged with the NHL and the Tripple Howe line broke up. Red Kelley was another famous position change and I think an All-star at both FWD and D.

Burns and Dandenault was already noted but Dustin Byfuglien, Jack Marshall, Barney Stanley, Tom Anderson, Bert McCaffrey, Phil Housley, Jim Roberts, Lindy Ruff, Dale Tallon, Lou Nanne, Steve Staios, Ron Greschner, Mark Streit, Sami Kapanen all made position changes...
  • [quote="Jeff_frm_Edmonds;c-2169769"]Ummm.....Hello!?!?!?

Sergei Fedorov, anyone?!?!?!?

There is acutally a long list of players that have gone from Forward to D or vice versa.

Mark Howe moved to D when the WHA merged with the NHL and the Tripple Howe line broke up. Red Kelley was another famous position change and I think an All-star at both FWD and D.

Burns and Dandenault was already noted but Dustin Byfuglien, Jack Marshall, Barney Stanley, Tom Anderson, Bert McCaffrey, Phil Housley, Jim Roberts, Lindy Ruff, Dale Tallon, Lou Nanne, Steve Staios, Ron Greschner, Mark Streit, Sami Kapanen all made position changes...[/quote]

I recall Federov occasionally playing defense. I don’t think he switched from Center to full time defensemen. But I get your point.
  • You can’t even change your jersey number. So why would you be able to change positions LOL