EA Forums - Banner

Nets don’t move anymore... why was this taken out?

Prev1
The mesh in the net doesn’t react to the puck anymore. Neither does the net come off anymore if ran into..

Is there explanation to why things keep getting removed from the game? Is it possible that EA has quite literally run out of room on this engine? Why is it that this title has only seen 8gb’s worth of (new features) in five years?

Replies

• [quote="Palmer1432;d-266697"]The mesh in the net doesn’t react to the puck anymore. Neither does the net come off anymore if ran into..

Is there explanation to why things keep getting removed from the game? Is it possible that EA has quite literally run out of room on this engine? Why is it that this title has only seen 8gb’s worth of (new features) in five years? [/quote]

I’ve even noticed that... glass don’t break anymore... seems like it’s harder to hit someone onto the bench now also...

Sure they’ll add new animations... BUT a lot gets taken out 😂
  • The nets moving were removed because little Mary's would run into them on purpose when you had a scoring chance in on line play ,but I could be wrong
  • goals look so unreal now without net mesh moving
  • They took it out so they can add it back as a new feature in NHL 24
  • TITAN_NHL wrote: »
    They took it out so they can add it back as a new feature in NHL 24

This right here.
  • There's a bug entered on the Answers board for this annoying issue. Sitting with zero interest and presumably no reads from the Devs on that basis. Feel free to bump! https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Goal-net-animations-no-longer-play-in-21-as-they-still-do-in-20/m-p/9774284#M2090
  • yes, I have already bumped over there. We need to get the devs' attention. Hopefully it's just a bug which can be patched and it was not removed intentionally. To me the net animations really matter (realism). Come on EA, please....
  • Good stuff guys, Aljo has responded so at least the dev team are aware of the problem. Totally agree @darkryd3r, this issue really impacts the enjoyment of goals and, for offline at least, the quality and replayability of goals, is super important.

I get the licensing issue with goal songs ( would be great to at least be able to change the NHL team's to some stock tunes though! ) but this could net anim could definitely be fixed at little cost.
  • How was this not fixed with the patch? Seems like an easy fix.
  • hopefully fixed by the next patch...it really looks very strange when the net is like a hard wire and the puck moves through the meshes before droping down at the ice.
  • Worth pointing out that whatever oversight removed these animations, it happened quite a while ago. Did a fresh install of the NHL 21 disc with no patches whatsoever and the net twine physics are still absent.

So nothing Day One was the culprit.
  • EA_Aljo
    3227 posts EA Community Manager
    Hi everyone. This is an issue we're aware of, but I don't have any news on when it'll be resolved.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Hi everyone. This is an issue we're aware of, but I don't have any news on when it'll be resolved.

Just like the rest of your games problems that make it in year after year
  • I wasen't sure if it was an issue.. How long has this been going on, sence 21 was realesed or is it further back?

But would of course be awsome if scoring goals could get a nice aesthetic boost!

• Like I hit the post.
  • Rigu7
    6 posts Member
    edited December 2020
    Nice vid, Sega.

That actually displays two real immersion killers on scoring a goal.

New for 21, the net does not bulge, and that was a net ripper you scored there. This was and is still fine in 20.

And a problem that is versions old, your CPU teammates playing the same stick raise anim in perfect unison. It seems like the code has iterated through each teammate entity and randomly selected one of the two or three celebration anims. If that iteration happens in the same or adjacent frames, and the anim cue isn't staggered a little, this roboticized behaviour is the result.

So the solution would be in order of preference:

Make sure there are four unique "hey, my teammate has scored, I better celebrate" anims, so there's one for every player, goalie excepted, and ensure no repetition in anims for that post-goal scene.

Just make sure there's no repetition by preventing a non-goalscorer player playing an anim full stop if another has already triggered that specific anim. I would rather they were just skating towards the goalscorer rather than looking sychronized.

Staggering the anim cues a little.

Just some general thoughts...

• Thanks EA_Aljo for having reported this issue and your feedback. I sincerely hope EA will fix it soon. I just imagine how it would be if in FIFA 21 the nets' animations were taken out. I guess EA would fix it within one week at latest. So let's see✌️
  • This is worthy of a bump. NHL nets are not porous. It's such a simple thing to put these net anims back in.
  • j0rtsu67
    644 posts Member
    edited January 14
    I'm just wondering how is it even possible to accidentally disable the net mesh animations? :o

Makes me also wonder how many other accidental changes are made during updates/patches.

If someone reports after patch/update that something in the game feels different, it's usually commented like "nothing has changed in this particular area, you can see it in patch/update section". :#