EA Forums - Banner

Three Biggest Issues with NHL 21 - constructive criticism

NHL 21 would be a decent game if these three things were fixed:

(1) Magnetic Puck - it seems the puck just can't be loose. When guys lose it, it just seems to magnetize right back onto their stick.

(2) Loose Pucks just have to go to someone - you ever notice how when you poke someone, the puck almost always goes right to his teammate-- even if that teammate is 15-20 feet away. You stick lift someone, the guy gets the puck right back, or it goes straight to his teammate. You hit someone, the puck goes straight to his teammate. EA, it is okay for the puck to just go to space. It doesn't have to go to someone. This comes off as very contrived. Please fix this.

(3) EASHL Playoff Format - I think the format is fine, but it is way too long. It should be a 2 week ordeal tops. Advertising when the playoffs will begin will suffice for teams that wish to participate to make sure their members are available to play during that 2 week window.

Replies

• Pengman wrote: »

(1) Magnetic Puck - it seems the puck just can't be loose. When guys lose it, it just seems to magnetize right back onto their stick.

(2) Loose Pucks just have to go to someone - you ever notice how when you poke someone, the puck almost always goes right to his teammate-- even if that teammate is 15-20 feet away. You stick lift someone, the guy gets the puck right back, or it goes straight to his teammate. You hit someone, the puck goes straight to his teammate. EA, it is okay for the puck to just go to space. It doesn't have to go to someone. This comes off as very contrived. Please fix this.

(3) EASHL Playoff Format - I think the format is fine, but it is way too long. It should be a 2 week ordeal tops. Advertising when the playoffs will begin will suffice for teams that wish to participate to make sure their members are available to play during that 2 week window.

My favorite is when you totally light somebody up and they manage to "pass" the puck perfectly to their teammate while they are in the middle of the "getting knocked the F out" animation.

I just want EA to understand why people think this game is scripted. We don't want it defined or explained away...we just want trash like this taken out of the game completely.

My favorite is when you totally light somebody up and they manage to "pass" the puck perfectly to their teammate while they are in the middle of the "getting knocked the F out" animation.

I just want EA to understand why people think this game is scripted. We don't want it defined or explained away...we just want trash like this taken out of the game completely.

Video please. If anything is the other way around. Once you are locked into a "being hit" animation you can no longer get the pass off even if the actual contact hasn't started yet.

I always chalk this up to netcode as it gets worse the more latency you have.

But I've never experienced this situation of being "lit up" , which I assume means I was knocked off the puck, and they still get off a pass. And same in reverse. When I successfully but anyone they don't ever get passes off mid hit.

Maybe you meant to say that sometimes when you got someone it fails or just glances off them but they retain possession and their balance and successfully pass the puck. As I'm bouncing off them. Which is frustrating but fairly realistic. The hitting engine needs some improvements but real defense is played with the stick.

Video please. If anything is the other way around. Once you are locked into a "being hit" animation you can no longer get the pass off even if the actual contact hasn't started yet.

I always chalk this up to netcode as it gets worse the more latency you have.

But I've never experienced this situation of being "lit up" , which I assume means I was knocked off the puck, and they still get off a pass. And same in reverse. When I successfully but anyone they don't ever get passes off mid hit.

Maybe you meant to say that sometimes when you got someone it fails or just glances off them but they retain possession and their balance and successfully pass the puck. As I'm bouncing off them. Which is frustrating but fairly realistic. The hitting engine needs some improvements but real defense is played with the stick.

What I am saying is that you can hit somebody, and a split second after that while they are falling or stumbling the puck will magically go to a teammate perfectly, almost as if they passed it before being hit. Only problem with that is I can see the hit register first and then the puck just decides to move to another player.

I'm sure it's just another byproduct of EAs inferior coding and programming. This series has been nothing short of a dumpster fire for me since NHL 15, and it seems to take a step further down the spiral with every new year.
  • Samzo77
    5 posts New member
    I agree with everything above.

The playoffs should be 10 days. Start Friday, end a week on Monday. Easy.

• What I am saying is that you can hit somebody, and a split second after that while they are falling or stumbling the puck will magically go to a teammate perfectly, almost as if they passed it before being hit. Only problem with that is I can see the hit register first and then the puck just decides to move to another player.

I'm sure it's just another byproduct of EAs inferior coding and programming. This series has been nothing short of a dumpster fire for me since NHL 15, and it seems to take a step further down the spiral with every new year.

I must say I've never witnessed something like that, as far as I recall?

But like jmwalsh8888 wrote, I've had plenty of times where I can't pass the puck before I get hit, even when it looks like I've pressed the pass button well before getting hit. This is really annoying. And fo course also cases where I get the pass off a split second before I get destroyed... but that's as it should be, because I am 'sacrificing' myself to get that pass in time.

Maybe it's the other side of the coin, and really a same issue. That some animations are taking precedence over others due to lag, latency or bad code? Maybe it's simply a case where you're not seeing on your screen what is actually happening in the game? You get lots of latency in a game, there's input lag, TV/screen lag, and then of course the net lag, which might explaing lots of things.

I can hazard a guess that the same thing happens with goalies too, like when you make a move to save and nothing happens, or it happens way after the shot hits the goal?

• @Pengman

Your item #2 is dead on. I have complained on this forum MANY times about loose pucks ALWAYS going back to the player who lost it, or his teammate. Almost 100% of the time. EVERY poke check goes back to the player you poked OR straight to teammate. Every board battle, almost every rebound, every bouncing puck (In NHL20 my players would pick up a bouncing puck, NOT ANY MORE, they skate right by it) go to the opposing AI. All of these issue are soooo easy to hit, I hit them 10 times EVERY game. Just test the game before you release it, which I am guessing they don't do, and these issue are obvious. It drives me crazy when EA asks for videos. I understand that for a true bug they need a video, but for game play issues like we are discussing here, a video is not needed. JUST PLAY THE GAME, these issue happen many times EVERY SINGLE GAME, literally, every single game.

By the way, I am talking about SB's, not online vs a human player.
  • EA_Aljo
    2592 posts EA Community Manager
    @Pengman

Your item #2 is dead on. I have complained on this forum MANY times about loose pucks ALWAYS going back to the player who lost it, or his teammate. Almost 100% of the time. EVERY poke check goes back to the player you poked OR straight to teammate. Every board battle, almost every rebound, every bouncing puck (In NHL20 my players would pick up a bouncing puck, NOT ANY MORE, they skate right by it) go to the opposing AI. All of these issue are soooo easy to hit, I hit them 10 times EVERY game. Just test the game before you release it, which I am guessing they don't do, and these issue are obvious. It drives me crazy when EA asks for videos. I understand that for a true bug they need a video, but for game play issues like we are discussing here, a video is not needed. JUST PLAY THE GAME, these issue happen many times EVERY SINGLE GAME, literally, every single game.

By the way, I am talking about SB's, not online vs a human player.

I've been watching for this more in my Squad Battles games. I still haven't played a game where every puck goes to opposing players and I lose every board battle, don't get any rebounds, miss every bouncing puck, etc. I'll keep an eye out for it, but so far I haven't seen an entire game playing out as you're describing.