EA Forums - Banner

Poke check spamming

Prev13
Yes it's that time again to bring this up. This year the game seems to favor those who come out and just spam the poke check like it's a magic wand. Tonight I've played several people who seem to be able to perfectly spam the poke check from behind every time or just charge at you with the stick swinging around and even if you try to do an evasive maneuver, the poke check is so powerful they steal it everytime. Oddly enough these are also the same people abusing the cross ice one timers 🤷.

Replies

• thegarden94
    457 posts Member
    edited December 2020
    amxblade wrote: »
    Yes it's that time again to bring this up. This year the game seems to favor those who come out and just spam the poke check like it's a magic wand. Tonight I've played several people who seem to be able to perfectly spam the poke check from behind every time or just charge at you with the stick swinging around and even if you try to do an evasive maneuver, the poke check is so powerful they steal it everytime. Oddly enough these are also the same people abusing the cross ice one timers 🤷.

My favorite is that the guy can keep his speed up while poking checking ,and don't forget spamming the stick lift while on offense ,but if you are doing it on defense it's almost a sure penalty .
    But they'll say no it doesn't happen and that you should move the puck faster and on the cross crease well it's ridiculous how you can pass the puck between sticks, legs and skates with precise accuracy it's amazing
    Post edited by thegarden94 on
  • I dont like how effectiv poke spamming is, cause no mather 'what you say', if you spamm, it means you are more or less out of position, and there isn't that much room on the ice, already as it is.

To just click one time on the poke, shouldnt be a problem, no either 2 times, but to run around with the poke constantly used should give thoose people that do that, enough disadvantages for them to stop doing that. (cause it has nothing to do with defense), not by playing that way. It's just plain and simpel, destructive for the generally gameplay. Dosent contribute to any good, in my meaning.

Unfortunately spamming pokes is the best/easiest way to turnover the puck, I wish body contact could have a bigger role, when it comes to that. But it's so easy to avoid/slip away, from all sort of physicall play, which leaves us with poke checks as the only good option to use.

• Like this.. What good does this 'poke behavior' bring to the game.. He's clearly behind and gets 1 and 2 and 3 attempt to break the puck loose. I can't see the point of that. It's already hard to get by pokes thats comes against you, and you also need to keep your back clean.

Force people to play with players infront of the puck carrier, not the one thats behind.
  • thegarden94
    457 posts Member
    edited December 2020
    I like how the stick went through his legs .. but there must be reason for that so it's all good (being sarcastic it should never happen)..it's really sad at what's happened to this series ,from EA's greed and the Devs catering to the ,chel ,bruh ,insane ,bang twitch streamers it has brought down this series ,it's even more frustrating and sad that the game still has some really good things but they're over shadowed by the bad
    Post edited by thegarden94 on
  • Yeap its stupid how much spam there is right now.
  • johnny2fingaz
    322 posts Member
    edited December 2020
    Gotta use x to control puck or hold it away from your opponents: slow down and take advantage of their aggressiveness to draw a penalty or out of position
  • I mean hockey is constant stick work. How can we be upset defenders have any tools to use? If you are getting poked a lot you need to do better protecting the puck and not skating yourself out of space
  • Just played a game where other dude spammed some hundred times. Looks pretty stupid. And how can u spam without slowing down at all.
  • Gotta use x to control puck or hold it away from your opponents: slow down and take advantage of their aggressiveness to draw a penalty or out of position

Did you see Sega's clip ,hard to protect the puck and draw a penalty when the stick goes through your legs
  • johnny2fingaz
    322 posts Member
    edited December 2020
    @thegarden94 just watched it. He was in DSS, entered the leg and did t look like it went all the way through. Then sega kept skating into it instead of the other way which was wide open

I look at it this way: a slow DSS would be like a real life play, just passively holding your stick out on your opponent’s side against his body. It’s hard to replicate that in video game - I think it’s a positive thing for the game and great for containing.

Keep your stick in the passing lane and body on body. It works in real life too. That doesn’t look like poke spam, just active stick
  • I think whats bother me most is the lack of space. Im all for a active stick, but with some sort of control.

I want games to be decided in a clean fun open way, and im finding it hard to do so, as it is now. And the sticks in combination with the flying speed, makes the gameplay pretty chaotic from time to time.

Keep one thing of the two... Speed... - more tripping calls... Poke/DSS - lower the speed, and it will be easier to avoid.
  • Poke checking, like in real hockey, should be a methodical, thought out action. I've played for over 30 years and have yet to see someone running around the ice simply swinging their stick around constantly or poking it forward 100 times a minute in hopes of knocking the puck loose. Real defenceman choose the perfect timing to do it otherwise if they miss, there's a chance they could get burnt. This whole idea of full speed and just mashing RB is ridiculous.
  • amxblade wrote: »
    Poke checking, like in real hockey, should be a methodical, thought out action. I've played for over 30 years and have yet to see someone running around the ice simply swinging their stick around constantly or poking it forward 100 times a minute in hopes of knocking the puck loose. Real defenceman choose the perfect timing to do it otherwise if they miss, there's a chance they could get burnt. This whole idea of full speed and just mashing RB is ridiculous.

I started playing when I was 8 till I was 40 I'm 54 now ,and I've never seen EA's version of hockey played anywhere or by anyone , only EA can try to recreate a beautiful sport like hockey and make it look like a clown show
    Poke checking, like in real hockey, should be a methodical, thought out action. I've played for over 30 years and have yet to see someone running around the ice simply swinging their stick around constantly or poking it forward 100 times a minute in hopes of knocking the puck loose. Real defenceman choose the perfect timing to do it otherwise if they miss, there's a chance they could get burnt. This whole idea of full speed and just mashing RB is ridiculous.

I think this sums up pretty good, I share your view on this one.

I also think the full speed and just mashing RB is the main reason why so many hate the game, no mather win or loss.

It sets a pretty nasty tone, to the game.

Good call. IMO I think the fact we cannot "stick check" makes this really bad and we overly depend on an action that - as you said - is more situational than all encompassing

Well put.
  • This guy all he did was spam his poke check and his stick like , and here's way these spamming little Mary's do it because it's to forgiving , sorry for the picture but my xbox keeps telling me that this game isn't allowing anything to be recorded

5c0frxxri06n.jpg

• Sega82mega
    4307 posts Member
    edited December 2020
    amxblade wrote: »

Hopefully NHL can start it's season january 13, if so. I will keep an eye on Mcdavid, see if he running around the ice simply swinging the stick around constantly or poking it forward 100 times a minute in hopes of knocking the puck loose..

* This might be a bad example, but imagine FIFA 21, if you slide tackle all the time to get the ball, not exactly the same I know, but a little bit the same principle.
    Post edited by Sega82mega on
  • They won't fix this problem especially this year how else are some of these little Mary's going to play defense
  • EA_Aljo
    3213 posts EA Community Manager
    Since release we've been hearing complaints about how the game is all about offense and that defense doesn't get the same attention. As well as defense, in general, being too challenging this year. Now, has this changed and it's too easy to defend because poke checks are too successful?