EA Forums - Banner

How is it possible

Prev1
RNM58820755
32 posts Member
edited February 2021
Just bought 21 because it was on sale. Not spending 60 on this game ever. How is it possible that matchmaking in EASHL has become worse than it was in 20?! Good god. Fix your garbage system. I love sitting here for 5 minutes to get put into a lobby with 3 other ppl. So fun!

Replies

• My cousin was gun-ho about getting into NHL about 2 months ago. Our first time trying to get a dropin 6's going: 3v3, empty lobby that stayed empty, 2v3, 3 times one of us didn't make it into lobby with the other and one load and crash. He uninstalled without playing a game.

People who don't have a long bond with this series won't put up with the stuff we do and they leave.
  • jrago73 wrote: »
    My cousin was gun-ho about getting into NHL about 2 months ago. Our first time trying to get a dropin 6's going: 3v3, empty lobby that stayed empty, 2v3, 3 times one of us didn't make it into lobby with the other and one load and crash. He uninstalled without playing a game.

People who don't have a long bond with this series won't put up with the stuff we do and they leave.

Nah that aint good. You aint got all day to play. Especially not for all.

And this is giving birth to unnecessary criticism. Or is it that few that play? Maybe.
  • It also depends on what hours you play.

During the day has the lowest population.

After school hours are the worse with trolls and kids.

The best times to play are anytime after 7 pm to midnight. That’s when the majority of good players are on and all the kiddies are doing their homework and are in bed.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4819 posts EA Community Manager
    Just bought 21 because it was on sale. Not spending 60 on this game ever. How is it possible that matchmaking in EASHL has become worse than it was in 20?! Good god. Fix your garbage system. I love sitting here for 5 minutes to get put into a lobby with 3 other ppl. So fun!

Is this with both matchmaking settings?
  • Just bought 21 because it was on sale. Not spending 60 on this game ever. How is it possible that matchmaking in EASHL has become worse than it was in 20?! Good god. Fix your garbage system. I love sitting here for 5 minutes to get put into a lobby with 3 other ppl. So fun!

The population is very low now compared to years past. I play 6’s only and only get full games during peak hours or against full teams that do drops.

Something needs to be done to increase the amount of players in 6’s.

• I found this issue on both PS4 and Xbox. Found 1 game after 8pm PST, while going through 14 lobbies to finally get a full 6 v 6 game. Went to 3's and spent 3 hours looking for a game. Noticing a massive drop in HUT also, as games are becoming harder to find. League games in EASHL are happening but only a few times a week. General clubs dead at the moment, because of the current playoff scenario. Found more clubs on NHL 20 as playoffs were indoors. NHL 21 has way too many problems, especially in their C++ programming which has caused so many errors. Doing game design myself and I spent years dealing with coding and programming for awhile, trying to deal with C++ is frustrating if you don't take time and use patience. That is why this game has too many problems, is because its rushed. You get other games like Fortnite where they take days, weeks or months to fix issues. While in NHL games the patches only take hours. As a customer I feel like even taking just a significant amount of time to really make this a fun game, and deal with certain issues that have become a frustration, could benefit, and cause higher sales for EA, instead of people dropping this game for other things after purchasing it, only to have it not meet the general standards for us gamers.
  • I found this issue on both PS4 and Xbox. Found 1 game after 8pm PST, while going through 14 lobbies to finally get a full 6 v 6 game. Went to 3's and spent 3 hours looking for a game. Noticing a massive drop in HUT also, as games are becoming harder to find. League games in EASHL are happening but only a few times a week. General clubs dead at the moment, because of the current playoff scenario. Found more clubs on NHL 20 as playoffs were indoors. NHL 21 has way too many problems, especially in their C++ programming which has caused so many errors. Doing game design myself and I spent years dealing with coding and programming for awhile, trying to deal with C++ is frustrating if you don't take time and use patience. That is why this game has too many problems, is because its rushed. You get other games like Fortnite where they take days, weeks or months to fix issues. While in NHL games the patches only take hours. As a customer I feel like even taking just a significant amount of time to really make this a fun game, and deal with certain issues that have become a frustration, could benefit, and cause higher sales for EA, instead of people dropping this game for other things after purchasing it, only to have it not meet the general standards for us gamers.

This guy gets it 👆.
  • Just bought 21 because it was on sale. Not spending 60 on this game ever. How is it possible that matchmaking in EASHL has become worse than it was in 20?! Good god. Fix your garbage system. I love sitting here for 5 minutes to get put into a lobby with 3 other ppl. So fun!

The population is very low now compared to years past. I play 6’s only and only get full games during peak hours or against full teams that do drops.

(whispers) "crossplay...."
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • Cross play would be nice, but they have burdened the low player base with too many options. 1's, 3's arcade, 3's drop-n, 3's club, 6's drop-in, 6's club. They should really just go back to 6's for each and focus on real hockey again. They have us so split up that it's just hurting everything. Options are great if you have enough players to support them. But when you just throw them into a game with a player base that was already shrinking to begin with, you get the state that we're in right now where you literally can't even play the game because you can't find a match.
  • We need cross play!
  • Cross play would be nice, but they have burdened the low player base with too many options. 1's, 3's arcade, 3's drop-n, 3's club, 6's drop-in, 6's club. They should really just go back to 6's for each and focus on real hockey again. They have us so split up that it's just hurting everything. Options are great if you have enough players to support them. But when you just throw them into a game with a player base that was already shrinking to begin with, you get the state that we're in right now where you literally can't even play the game because you can't find a match.

I get the mode dilution argument and I don't disagree: other games suffer from this as well. But for the most part I think the genie is out of the bottle. I don't see them getting rid of the arcade modes and certainly HUT - their biggest revenue stream - is going nowhere any time soon.

In lieu of peeling back modes, what can they do?

But if they could effectively double the player base in one fell swoop, that would make a big and immediate difference IMO. Even if they remove modes I think cross play is still a good thing for the community.

I would argue that cross play is not just nice but necessary if the game is going to continue on its current trajectory.
  • Cross play and eliminate 1’s and 3’s.
  • IceLion68
    1624 posts Member
    edited February 2021
    They should really just go back to 6's for each and focus on real hockey again.
    and eliminate 1’s and 3’s.

So you have to ask yourself: "What are we really trying to accomplish with this?"

If the goal is to "undilute" the 6s community... how many of these people would play 6s? Of the ones that do, how many of them would *we* want? And of *THOSE* - assuming they *used* to like 6s - what drew them away from 6s to start with?

I am not sure doing away with those modes wholesale is going to fix anything. I suspect they are filled with people who just don't like 6s/team hockey and either would be horrible to play with, or just not interested in 6s anymore.

What we need for EA to do is fix the 6s system so people will want to play it (again).

Build it and they will come!

• IceLion68 wrote: »
    Cross play would be nice, but they have burdened the low player base with too many options. 1's, 3's arcade, 3's drop-n, 3's club, 6's drop-in, 6's club. They should really just go back to 6's for each and focus on real hockey again. They have us so split up that it's just hurting everything. Options are great if you have enough players to support them. But when you just throw them into a game with a player base that was already shrinking to begin with, you get the state that we're in right now where you literally can't even play the game because you can't find a match.

I get the mode dilution argument and I don't disagree: other games suffer from this as well. But for the most part I think the genie is out of the bottle. I don't see them getting rid of the arcade modes and certainly HUT - their biggest revenue stream - is going nowhere any time soon.

In lieu of peeling back modes, what can they do?

But if they could effectively double the player base in one fell swoop, that would make a big and immediate difference IMO. Even if they remove modes I think cross play is still a good thing for the community.

I would argue that cross play is not just nice but necessary if the game is going to continue on its current trajectory.

They have gotten rid of game modes before. The realistic answer is at least kill ones and one of the three lobbies for 3's but that won't happen for a while because you can't admit that mistake and stay employed until it was x number of years ago.

Crossplay would be nice and would certainly help... if it were implemented correctly. But for 2 years now ea is having problems getting an Xbox to talk to an Xbox or a ps to another ps, now they will nail it and get crossplay working correctly in one year? Is there a :skeptical: emoji on here?

You could also just make the game work on a technical level and do something to deter quitters and trolls so fresh blood actually hangs around too so the populations are higher. :crazy:
  • Well, it's literally a cut and paste of the same code from last years game. The exactl same issues plaguq the matchmaking and connections during the play. It should be no surprise that it's all still here. It'll all still be here next 'year' too. NHL 16.5
  • EA_Blueberry
    4819 posts EA Community Manager

There options to expand your matchmaking to help reduce waiting times though. That is where I was going with that.

It's also possible there's a matchmaking hiccup which I've seen happen before for a variety of games. If you haven't power cycled your console and router, I'd definitely give it a quick go to see if results change. There are times I'll look at my Xbox Network Settings and it will show a moderate NAT, but once I power cycle the console and router, grab a drink, come back and restart it's switched to OPEN which increases the matchmaking pool for Xbox users.

We have no details on the future cross-play. EA is aware of the demand for this, but not official announcements at the moment. There are several friends and many of you here on the forums I'd love to jump into some games with who are on PlayStation at some point. Right there with you on this one and if we hear anything we'll let you know ASAP.
  • thebrazenhead75
    243 posts Member
    edited February 2021

There options to expand your matchmaking to help reduce waiting times though. That is where I was going with that.

It's also possible there's a matchmaking hiccup which I've seen happen before for a variety of games. If you haven't power cycled your console and router, I'd definitely give it a quick go to see if results change. There are times I'll look at my Xbox Network Settings and it will show a moderate NAT, but once I power cycle the console and router, grab a drink, come back and restart it's switched to OPEN which increases the matchmaking pool for Xbox users.

We have no details on the future cross-play. EA is aware of the demand for this, but not official announcements at the moment. There are several friends and many of you here on the forums I'd love to jump into some games with who are on PlayStation at some point. Right there with you on this one and if we hear anything we'll let you know ASAP.

What options are you talking about because I rarely have problems finding games quickly as is now because:

I usually play during peak hours between 7 pm and 11 on weeknights.

I’m in Toronto (East) so I’m in the most populated area of players and usually play on the best server (East).

My NAT Type is 2 and my connection speeds are approximately/usually 80 Mbps down and 10 or so up. During games my pings are usually between 25-35 so no problems there.

My match times are usually quick. It’s more the matter of players staying in the lobby myself included because I’ll leave one if the connection is anything but “GOOD”, I recognise trolls, lousy players, AI vs human goalie, my teammates use the “Enforcer” builds, two AI Dman on the opposing team, my C doesn’t have a mic, etc. I’ve been playing drop ins long enough to know what players and types of teams etc not to play so I’m very selective. That is the only time it might take awhile for me to find/join a game.

The best is when you have an almost full lobby, maybe 1 or 2 missing spots and then everyone leaves with 2 seconds left and boom you're stuck playing with mostly AI. Super fun

What options are you talking about because I rarely have problems finding games quickly as is now because:

I usually play during peak hours between 7 pm and 11 on weeknights.

I’m in Toronto (East) so I’m in the most populated area of players and usually play on the best server (East).

My NAT Type is 2 and my connection speeds are approximately/usually 80 Mbps down and 10 or so up. During games my pings are usually between 25-35 so no problems there.

My match times are usually quick. It’s more the matter of players staying in the lobby myself included because I’ll leave one if the connection is anything but “GOOD”, I recognise trolls, lousy players, AI vs human goalie, my teammates use the “Enforcer” builds, two AI Dman on the opposing team, my C doesn’t have a mic, etc. I’ve been playing drop ins long enough to know what players and types of teams etc not to play so I’m very selective. That is the only time it might take awhile for me to find/join a game.

It's nothing to do with your connection or router or anything like that. Don't listen to that horse crap. Literally the same connection issues are still here from NHL 20, so the suggestion that it's your network is just absolute hogwash. They need to fix their match making system, period. Didn't have these issues prior to 20, keep that in mind.
  • Removing lobbies killed the “good casual” demographic of this game. NHL 09-15 allowed us to join a lobby and get usually an ok at worst game and a great game at best every night of the week. You could even have 10-12 friends join a private lobby and do drafts which meant 3-6 games of good hockey with different teams every game and every having a good time. This generation of matchmaking has been really really bad and took away everything this online community was built off of.