EA Forums - Banner

What is EA doing to combat puck ragging?

Replies

• But its sad the rest has to be a part of this " getting the fastest players and running the exact same play over and over again until they have more goals than the opponent".

I play this game for 3 reasons,
    I love hockey,
    I want to live out my passion for hockey through the game,
    And I want to challenge my own skill and creativity.

And it's hard to fulfill my 3 reasons to play if all we have to do is... Get fast players and run the exact same play over and over again.

But I might be in minority here..
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    They already fixed it. They added this feature, if you try to turn too sharp or constantly skating in circles you blow a tire and fall down....

So thats something we dont want to have in a hockey game..? Sharp turns. That often creates room on the ice.

Thats my point, we can't just 'take away' common things that do happen IRL and then expect it to be hockey.

But I would like to see players that loose balance much more, and if that could help people to get thoose raggers, it's a win win.

But I also want to be able to skate in a circle and take sharp turns too without any risk to fall, if I do it right.

I didn't say we shouldn't have sharp turns, we should, but there has to be some kind of limit. If you managed your speed and turned sharp there was no issue, if you going full speed and turn sharp, there was a chance to blow a tire. That's a common thing that happens it real life, it was removed.

The point I'm trying to make is that it was already in the game and it worked. It was removed and ragging is back. They already had an effective tool to combat ragging.

High speed and turned sharp should definitely be punished somehow.

What was the reason to why they removed it?.. Maybe went over to another game engine and things didn't work the same..?

I dont remember this, so it has to be before nhl15..

I think Aljo said people were falling and didn't understand why, or something along thoses lines. In my opinion, EA thinks the only exciting part of hockey is scoring so they make it easier, remove some things so everyone can dangle, snipe and cells with ease.

I don't remember what year it was, I hope it wasn't before 15, that would mean I'm almost as old as dirt lol

If scoring was the only thing we cared about, there would be one mode with an open net that let you score at will. We care about defense and it's an integral part of the game. It's also a very challenging position to play and many are excellent at meeting that challenge. What would you suggest to make playing defense easier or more fun so that it matches what can be done on offense?

As far as ragging goes, blowing a tire wasn't added to combat ragging. It also wouldn't be a good solution as people can still easily pass before they go down. We're very well aware of the issue with ragging and if it were easy to stop, that would have been done by now. You guys can speculate on what you feel would fix this, but if it were that easy, it would have been done by now. Hopefully, we'll see a good solution that also doesn't go against the rules or what would be realistic in a real game of hockey.

I also don't think anyone can just dangle and snipe with ease. It takes skill to pull these moves off. Yes, the controls might not be terribly difficult but knowing when to use them is just as important. If someone can use a well-placed windmill deke or toe drag to get by defenders, that's because they read the positioning of the defender and knew this move would be a good way to get around them. Defense needs to realize they are open to being beat by these moves and better position themselves to stop it. Part of success on either end of the ice is reading the play and using hockey sense and anticipation to determine what action you take. No matter how easy offense might be, it all can be stopped by good defense.

I don't want defense to be easier, I like that its challenging and takes a bit of concentration. I think the only change I would like to see is no penalty for pivoting without the puck. I think the offensive side of the puck should be a little more challenging. Puck protection and balance need a tweak.

You keep sayin blowing a tire wasn't added to combat ragging, thats irrelevant. It doesn't matter why it was added. The point is, when it was added it helped to combat ragging. I would argue if it was put back in the game ragging would decrease. It was taken out which allowed for ragging again, in turn providing an easy way to score and favouring offense.

When the LT pivot was nerfed it brought a little bit of balances to the game. Then the pivot was nerfed for players without the puck. This allowed almost every forward to blow by defenceman, again favouring offense. Now of course you can counter it. By being aware of your position, your gap, your speed and reading the play it possible. The issue IMO is the defenceman has to focus on all of this and be absolutely perfect, while the forward has to hustle in a straight line. That doesn't seem like balance to me.

If a forward is hustling in a straight line, a defender needs to back up in a straight line in front of them. That doesn't sound like offense is being favored over defense. Yes, they have an arsenal of moves they can use. They also have to be good at pulling those off to beat a defender. By no means am I saying defense is easy. It's my primary position and the one I play 99% of the time. I'm a much better defender than forward so when I switch to forward I don't automatically think this is going to be a piece of cake because now I have all these moves I can do. A bad forward going up against a good defender is going to get beat most every time.

What about nerfing the pivot for players without the puck? That seems to benefit the forwards more than defenceman. I would argue you can pivot faster without the puck because you don't have a puck to worry about. I understand if it was done to make defenceman more accountable but I don't feel the offense if treated the same way.

Yes, a defenceman can stop them, but I feel that defenceman has to be almost perfect while forwards have more margin for error. The risk vs reward is out of wack. Basically no risk and high reward for offense, high risk and high reward for defense.

Defense has to read the play in the neutral zone, say in position, pay attention to AI teammates positions, pay attention to speed, angles, gaps, stick position, passing lanes, shooting lanes. Defense has to do all this while forwards skate straight. I feel offense is rewarded for minimal effort and the most basic hockey plays.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited February 13
    Wouldn’t lowering passing speed solve alot of problems.

That should also affect the generally gamespeed, if you cant 'force the speed to go up by throwing rocket passes. = things don't happen as quick, easier to maneuver aaaand defend, better defense = more hard to play offens. Balance!

My biggest problem with playing defense is you often don't get the time to be on right place at the right time cause the speed dont allow it.

For all thoose players that dosent just wanna push for speed in every possible situation and instead like to play man-man and being in right position by cover up surface, deserves a decent chance to at least 'get the time' to set up for defense. But thats nearly impossible against the 'meta'... Players that just squeeze the hustle. Too keep up with that, you need to play the same way. North to south, up and down. No deep or what so ever.

*hard to follow the game rhythm by moving in a 'flow' when the game just goes up and down in top speed. I would not care if I lost every game I played as long as I get to feel the real 'flow' of hockey.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    But its sad the rest has to be a part of this " getting the fastest players and running the exact same play over and over again until they have more goals than the opponent".

I play this game for 3 reasons,
    I love hockey,
    I want to live out my passion for hockey through the game,
    And I want to challenge my own skill and creativity.

And it's hard to fulfill my 3 reasons to play if all we have to do is... Get fast players and run the exact same play over and over again.

But I might be in minority here..

I absolutely agree with you. I'm the same way.

The problem is that 99% of the playerbase isn't. They just want to win by any means possible.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited February 14
    Were like rats, with in-learned behaviour patterns.

If you put down your controller and just watch. The opponent will try to go for the exact same goal as if you are holding on to your controller. Almost like a train, that just keep going, no mather the circumstances.

Our brains must taking serious damage from seeing the same things over and over again.

+ But im abit curious, if EA could do a much more realistic hockey simulation, why not do it? Would it be so terrible to get as close to Connor Mcdavid as we possible could?

And imagine a game were you could see clear improvements of your own game from every new game session. That is something that would get people addicted and challenging at the same time.

I would like to turn off the game and feel like you have achieved something.

SuperKMX I liked your realistic suggestion in the post above. I hope the people that want to see the most realistic hockey game gets bigger and bigger and we some day gets it.

Hockey is fantastic with all it's pros and cons, no need to make it up.
  • @EA_Aljo

Adding in a "make a play" clock would be beneficial so that it does allow for games to carry on?

Every puck ragging instance is different. You have some who genuinely use it as a tactic to bait the forecheck for stretch passes. That is fine.

However, you have others who cycle all around on their half of the ice up to the center line. They don't entend on making a play at all. That is where a "make a play" clock should be applied.

This isn't like a real NHL game like the Flyers @ Bolts in 2011 making fun of Bolt's NZT and 1-3-1.

At LEAST call for a faceoff when the clock runs out. Then you're not playing a chasing game for entire periods of play.

There's a suggestion.
  • Something has to be done, thats for sure. Had a game tonight vs an a--hole that scored a lucky 1-0. Then skating around his own crease the rest of the game.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

If you put down your controller and just watch. The opponent will try to go for the exact same goal as if you are holding on to your controller. Almost like a train, that just keep going, no mather the circumstances.

Our brains must taking serious damage from seeing the same things over and over again.

+ But im abit curious, if EA could do a much more realistic hockey simulation, why not do it? Would it be so terrible to get as close to Connor Mcdavid as we possible could?

And imagine a game were you could see clear improvements of your own game from every new game session. That is something that would get people addicted and challenging at the same time.

SuperKMX I liked your realistic suggestion in the post above. I hope the people that want to see the most realistic hockey game gets bigger and bigger and we some day gets it.

I completely agree with everything you say here. I think EA could do a more realistic hockey simulation, but it would alienate their player base and they'd end up selling less packs...which is about the only thing they truly care about.

It's the same way in FIFA. They made defending more realistic in that game this year, so players had to actually work at defending, or they would concede goals. In turn, high quality attacking play was more valuable, rather than spamming the same move over and over. People who genuinely enjoyed the sport LOVED it. It's what they wanted for years.

But 95% of the playerbase complained and complained and complained because kids, the Fortnite crowd and more casual players couldn't just press one button and have the game defend for them. Ultimately it got changed back within weeks. I think the same thing would happen with NHL, I'm afraid :disappointed:
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited February 15

I completely agree with everything you say here. I think EA could do a more realistic hockey simulation, but it would alienate their player base and they'd end up selling less packs...which is about the only thing they truly care about.

It's the same way in FIFA. They made defending more realistic in that game this year, so players had to actually work at defending, or they would concede goals. In turn, high quality attacking play was more valuable, rather than spamming the same move over and over. People who genuinely enjoyed the sport LOVED it. It's what they wanted for years.

But 95% of the playerbase complained and complained and complained because kids, the Fortnite crowd and more casual players couldn't just press one button and have the game defend for them. Ultimately it got changed back within weeks. I think the same thing would happen with NHL, I'm afraid :disappointed:

I hope, because this years game takes alot more skill to conquer, then previously, that EA perhaps trying to 'turn up' the amount of skill, by doing defense much more manual this year, and hopefully this is a way to prepare us for whats to come.

But of course, it probebly has alot to do with how the 'big crowd' receives it.

And by reading so far.. The defense has created alot of complaining, especially cause of the cross crease. Hopefully it's mainly about the 'pucks that getting through objects' other then defense feels too hard to handle.

I guess we have to see.

But I have never played a 'real hockey game' were you have to 'be the player on the ice' and 'think like a hockey player'. Would be soooo cool to be able to experience that, just once, before it's all over.

😏
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited February 15
    And a - huge - problem as I see it...

To have this same gameplay for the last couple of years and then all of a sudden 'switch' to put alot more responsibility on us playing defense - without - doing any direct changes to the game speed. Thats like beggin for problems. And to not give the game and the people a fair chance to like this game.

We have no problem to attack in this same pattern we done for a couple of years.. But to then switch over to play defense in the same pace, that has been a tough change for many people out there.
  • [quote="EA_Aljo;c-2184155"][quote="HurricaneFza;c-2184148"][quote="Sega82mega;c-2184141"][quote="HurricaneFza;c-2184136"][quote="Sega82mega;c-2184123"][quote="HurricaneFza;c-2184119"]They already fixed it. They added this feature, if you try to turn too sharp or constantly skating in circles you blow a tire and fall down.... [/quote]

So thats something we dont want to have in a hockey game..? Sharp turns. That often creates room on the ice.

Thats my point, we can't just 'take away' common things that do happen IRL and then expect it to be hockey.

But I would like to see players that loose balance much more, and if that could help people to get thoose raggers, it's a win win.

But I also want to be able to skate in a circle and take sharp turns too without any risk to fall, if I do it right. [/quote]

I didn't say we shouldn't have sharp turns, we should, but there has to be some kind of limit. If you managed your speed and turned sharp there was no issue, if you going full speed and turn sharp, there was a chance to blow a tire. That's a common thing that happens it real life, it was removed.

The point I'm trying to make is that it was already in the game and it worked. It was removed and ragging is back. They already had an effective tool to combat ragging. [/quote]

High speed and turned sharp should definitely be punished somehow.

What was the reason to why they removed it?.. Maybe went over to another game engine and things didn't work the same..?

I dont remember this, so it has to be before nhl15.. [/quote]

I think Aljo said people were falling and didn't understand why, or something along thoses lines. In my opinion, EA thinks the only exciting part of hockey is scoring so they make it easier, remove some things so everyone can dangle, snipe and cells with ease.

I don't remember what year it was, I hope it wasn't before 15, that would mean I'm almost as old as dirt lol[/quote]

If scoring was the only thing we cared about, there would be one mode with an open net that let you score at will. We care about defense and it's an integral part of the game. It's also a very challenging position to play and many are excellent at meeting that challenge. What would you suggest to make playing defense easier or more fun so that it matches what can be done on offense?

As far as ragging goes, blowing a tire wasn't added to combat ragging. It also wouldn't be a good solution as people can still easily pass before they go down. We're very well aware of the issue with ragging and if it were easy to stop, that would have been done by now. You guys can speculate on what you feel would fix this, but if it were that easy, it would have been done by now. Hopefully, we'll see a good solution that also doesn't go against the rules or what would be realistic in a real game of hockey.

I also don't think anyone can just dangle and snipe with ease. It takes skill to pull these moves off. Yes, the controls might not be terribly difficult but knowing when to use them is just as important. If someone can use a well-placed windmill deke or toe drag to get by defenders, that's because they read the positioning of the defender and knew this move would be a good way to get around them. Defense needs to realize they are open to being beat by these moves and better position themselves to stop it. Part of success on either end of the ice is reading the play and using hockey sense and anticipation to determine what action you take. No matter how easy offense might be, it all can be stopped by good defense.[/quote]

With all due respect, I can't imagine how it can be considered acceptable for a studio to ask paying customers to be the ones to come up with ideas for fixing an exploit that's ruining the game.
  • With all due respect, I can't imagine how it can be considered acceptable for a studio to ask paying customers to be the ones to come up with ideas for fixing an exploit that's ruining the game.

With all due respect, I absolutely can see how it would be acceptable to ask. NOT asking people who actually play the game has resulted in a lot of the issues that exist in EA Sports titles.

If they were to implement any of the more obvious changes they could make to "fix" the issue, it would result in a large number of those paying customers screaming and throwing their controller at the wall as if somebody had stolen their candy.

A large percentage of people would absolutely not have a clue how to play this game if they couldn't pass the puck around in their own defensive zone for all eternity, because they only know how to attack. They can score, but that's it. Their method of winning is to score as many goals as the opponent, plus one. It isn't to score a goal and defend the lead, or to score two and try for a shutout. It's "can I get the rush and a cross-crease chance more times than the other guy?"

Ask them which man they should be covering when the opponent carries the puck into the offensive zone, and they wouldn't be able to get it right even if you spotted them the puck carrier and the two players on the point.

What's worse is that those people are in the majority. Any changes EA makes off its own back will be to benefit those players. So EA asking people from outside of that group is nothing but a good thing.
  • [quote="SuperKMX_39;c-2184573"][quote="quartermaine28;c-2184495"]With all due respect, I can't imagine how it can be considered acceptable for a studio to ask paying customers to be the ones to come up with ideas for fixing an exploit that's ruining the game.[/quote]

With all due respect, I absolutely can see how it would be acceptable to ask. NOT asking people who actually play the game has resulted in a lot of the issues that exist in EA Sports titles.

If they were to implement any of the more obvious changes they could make to "fix" the issue, it would result in a large number of those paying customers screaming and throwing their controller at the wall as if somebody had stolen their candy.

A large percentage of people would absolutely not have a clue how to play this game if they couldn't pass the puck around in their own defensive zone for all eternity, because they only know how to attack. They can score, but that's it. Their method of winning is to score as many goals as the opponent, plus one. It isn't to score a goal and defend the lead, or to score two and try for a shutout. It's "can I get the rush and a cross-crease chance more times than the other guy?"

Ask them which man they should be covering when the opponent carries the puck into the offensive zone, and they wouldn't be able to get it right even if you spotted them the puck carrier and the two players on the point.

What's worse is that those people are in the majority. Any changes EA makes off its own back will be to benefit those players. So EA asking people from outside of that group is nothing but a good thing.[/quote]

I should have been more clear. It's fine to ask the community for feedback, but to say "we know about it but it's hard to fix so you guys come up with the ideas" while not committing whatsoever to continuing internal investigation/work on the issue is unacceptable. If they want to run ideas past us to get feedback, great. If they want to solicit our ideas while still working on it internally, great. But commit to more than outsourcing it to the community.
  • EA_Aljo
    3227 posts EA Community Manager
    SturmWolfe wrote: »
    @EA_Aljo

Adding in a "make a play" clock would be beneficial so that it does allow for games to carry on?

Every puck ragging instance is different. You have some who genuinely use it as a tactic to bait the forecheck for stretch passes. That is fine.

However, you have others who cycle all around on their half of the ice up to the center line. They don't entend on making a play at all. That is where a "make a play" clock should be applied.

This isn't like a real NHL game like the Flyers @ Bolts in 2011 making fun of Bolt's NZT and 1-3-1.

At LEAST call for a faceoff when the clock runs out. Then you're not playing a chasing game for entire periods of play.

There's a suggestion.

The suggestion is definitely appreciated. The problem with your suggestion is that there's no "make a play" clock in hockey. We would need something more realistic than this. I could see a delay of game penalty being called, but this also isn't exactly the easiest to determine. Playing the puck back in your zone isn't uncommon. The computer would need to detect that you're consciously trying to keep in your zone just to rag it. When there are defenders trying to cause a turnover, it can look like they're trying to evade this so it wouldn't exactly look like ragging to the computer. I'd love to see a good solution put in place. I know the dev team wants this as well, but it also needs to fall within the rules of hockey and be as realistic as possible.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    @EA_Aljo

There's a suggestion.

The suggestion is definitely appreciated. The problem with your suggestion is that there's no "make a play" clock in hockey. We would need something more realistic than this. I could see a delay of game penalty being called, but this also isn't exactly the easiest to determine. Playing the puck back in your zone isn't uncommon. The computer would need to detect that you're consciously trying to keep in your zone just to rag it. When there are defenders trying to cause a turnover, it can look like they're trying to evade this so it wouldn't exactly look like ragging to the computer. I'd love to see a good solution put in place. I know the dev team wants this as well, but it also needs to fall within the rules of hockey and be as realistic as possible.

Yeah I agree. I dont really see any other solution then a more aware A.I.

Are you having big problems with this type of players that doing there best to delay?
  • j0rtsu67
    644 posts Member
    edited February 19
    @EA_Aljo

There's a suggestion.

Within the rules, is it allowed to play without helmet? Just asking... >:)

• Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited February 19
    j0rtsu67 wrote: »
    @EA_Aljo

There's a suggestion.

Within the rules, is it allowed to play without helmet in NHL? Just asking... >:)

cheap shot! 😉

... Aaand.. For legends it is! 😏
  • TTZ_Dipsy
    518 posts Member
    edited February 19
    I don't want to be that guy but there are also no women, 3v3 with automatic penalty shots, near-indestructible rubber men, and 1v1v1 modes in real NHL yet we have them here...

I completely understand how this puts the dev team in an unfavourable position, but I feel a shot/pass/make-a-play timer (at least for 3's mode) is the only thing that makes (the most) sense. Even with bots, ragging shouldn't be *too* much of an issue in 6's but holy guacamole it's a pain in the tuckus in 3's

• EA_Aljo
    3227 posts EA Community Manager
    j0rtsu67 wrote: »
    @EA_Aljo

There's a suggestion.

Within the rules, is it allowed to play without helmet? Just asking... >:)

HUT is a fantasy mode. NHL rules are in play, but it's technically not the NHL. For example, you won't see players with no helmet in Online Versus since those use NHL rosters in NHL arenas.
  • Why isn't it possible to block an other player? Maybe informing the players when getting blocked, would make them think they shouldn't be such tools if they want to find matches in future.