EA Forums - Banner

Is the game playing us instead??

Prev13456718
EA Devs, do you ever take it serious enough, or plan to give us a game that doesn't FEEL like it's scripted?? Anybody who actually pays attention to how things happen in this game can easily see the many things that make it look like we are getting played by the game, and not the other way around. You obviously have NO CLUE how frustrating it is to fight your "momentum engine" so hard that you have no ability to even fight your actual opponent.

Just wondering if you might let the players decide the outcome of the games one of these years, or if you'd rather us just "go along for the ride" while you basically decide the outcomes of everything?

Replies

• If you're playing against the AI, it technically is. They respond to the player's controller input. You can do the most unrealistically odd things and the AI will be right there to counter. Fun.
  • Hockey is all(very much) about momentum. To build force and speed in your own direaction.

But I agree, it dosent always feel fair in it's right meaning, all though this part must be one of the toughest part to program into the game in a realistic way that dosent make it too 'obvious' for us that it's 'only a video game'.

I would say there's too easy to 'exploit' that momentum swing and get it to your own advantage.

It's better in 21,but still not perfect. The once that use the whole rink in best possible way to build momentum should also have the best chances of something good to happen.
  • EA_Aljo
    3200 posts EA Community Manager
    edited February 17
    EA Devs, do you ever take it serious enough, or plan to give us a game that doesn't FEEL like it's scripted?? Anybody who actually pays attention to how things happen in this game can easily see the many things that make it look like we are getting played by the game, and not the other way around. You obviously have NO CLUE how frustrating it is to fight your "momentum engine" so hard that you have no ability to even fight your actual opponent.

Just wondering if you might let the players decide the outcome of the games one of these years, or if you'd rather us just "go along for the ride" while you basically decide the outcomes of everything?

There is no momentum engine. The game isn't scripted. AI teams will fight harder when they're down. Especially in the second half of the 3rd, but they aren't forced to win no matter what you do. You're of course welcome to get us some video of the momentum or scripting in action so we can see why you think these are built into the game.
    belair_col wrote: »
    If you're playing against the AI, it technically is. They respond to the player's controller input. You can do the most unrealistically odd things and the AI will be right there to counter. Fun.

This isn't totally correct. They are responding to how you are playing, but not directly reading controller inputs and mirroring your actions. They read the play on the ice and react. They also play according to their strategies.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    AI teams will fight harder when they're down. Especially in the second half of the 3rd, but they aren't forced to win no matter what you do.

Can you elaborate on this? What does this actually mean?
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • EA_Aljo
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    AI teams will fight harder when they're down. Especially in the second half of the 3rd, but they aren't forced to win no matter what you do.

They take more chances and play more aggressively.

There is no momentum engine. The game isn't scripted. AI teams will fight harder when they're down. Especially in the second half of the 3rd, but they aren't forced to win no matter what you do. You're of course welcome to get us some video of the momentum or scripting in action so we can see why you think these are built into the game.
    belair_col wrote: »
    If you're playing against the AI, it technically is. They respond to the player's controller input. You can do the most unrealistically odd things and the AI will be right there to counter. Fun.

This isn't totally correct. They are responding to how you are playing, but not directly reading controller inputs and mirroring your actions. They read the play on the ice and react. They also play according to their strategies.

I'll just try to explain what I see happening and why I think things are scripted since I don't really do video capturing ever (I'm not a showoff and don't feel the use for it).

All of a sudden my passes will be intercepted by players not even looking in my direction. Shots that get blocked by my own players will stun them and they'll do that ouch animation forever. Shots that get blocked by my opponent will catch the puck and play it all in one split second without any animation triggered.

Fake lag will be introduced into the game on my side only. What I mean here is that ALL animations that only my players do will be slower, take longer to complete, and sometimes look more dramatic. For example, I'll attempt a body check on an opponent, and you'll see the opponent shake it off in a split second while my player is still executing the full animation for like a full second. If the roles are reversed my player gets knocked down for five seconds and my opponent has no animation time while he drops me and skates away with the puck all at once.

I'll watch pucks literally go through my players over and over again. Rebounds from my goalie will go through my players directly to my opponents over and over again. You'll see what looks like a magnetic force holding the puck to their sticks while pucks (when they aren't going through my players) will bounce off my sticks continuously.

In the event my players actually pick up the puck they will again look like they are being magnetized towards the opponents and that causes the puck to magnetize back to the other team. It's like my players can't turn, accelerate, or make any hockey move initially because they are being magnetized to surrounding players.

I also get called for one penalty after another it seems, and the replays don't actually show a penalty occurring. I have seen my guy get laid out by interference, and then my opponent would trip over me and I'd get a tripping penalty called against me, but no interference against him.

There are just so many little nuances about this game that seem to happen all at once that exaggerate the assistance given to one side over the other.

I wish I had a video for you. I always forget that you can actually do that on the consoles now, but it's not really my thing. It's way easier for me to just say what the problem is.
  • EA_Aljo

I wish I had a video for you. I always forget that you can actually do that on the consoles now, but it's not really my thing. It's way easier for me to just say what the problem is.

The report is appreciated, but we can't do anything with it since there's no video to back up what you're saying. Recording video on either console is a very simple process. It's a little more difficult to publish the video, but this too is a pretty easy process. These instructions can be found online as well. If you can tell me which system you're on, I'll look them up for you.

• It always makes me chuckle when they ask for video evidence. Why do they need it? Always leads me to ask one simple question. What version of this game are THEY playing and where can i get one?

If they're playing the same game as we are, do they think we're making this stuff up? Just asking. Also, if they're playing said game and still asking for video, what chance in hell do we have of it being fixed ever?

I've learned to just accept it as is. I play my 1 or 2 games, then call it a night. Is it enjoyable? Nahh.......but it's all we have.

The report is appreciated, but we can't do anything with it since there's no video to back up what you're saying. Recording video on either console is a very simple process. It's a little more difficult to publish the video, but this too is a pretty easy process. These instructions can be found online as well. If you can tell me which system you're on, I'll look them up for you.

To be fair, you can hardly fault people for not providing video. In almost no case have I seen someone post video and been validated. It has almost never happened. What people inevitably get for going through the trouble of posting video of their grievances is to have them explained away by "oh that., yes that's just how the game works...". or "it looks like you did X when you should have done Y".

It becomes a huge suspension of disbelief that no one at EA seems to have had any first hand knowledge or experience of the things in question. For years EA has denied ice tilt... and yet...

They take more chances and play more aggressively.

Which may not be ice tilt in the the sense that the outcome is rigged... but it now seems a bit disingenuous to have been maintaining that what people were seeing was all in their heads.
  • Sega82mega
    4220 posts Member
    edited February 17
    I do bealive some of the things we are seeing and experience in this game is stuff that "has" to happen, or else something even more 'strange' would/could happen.

At least until the dev team find a good replacement to change one animation against another and perhaps smooth things out.

But my own opinion on posting videos is mainly cause its good for the Dev team to look at them. Maybe there's something fishy going on - or isn't, either way, it's better to give them a fair chance to have a look.

Imagine all the possibilities we have with the puck, all the 10.000000 diffrent type of plays we are able to do, especially when the game been out for 6 months or so. Im not surprised we got to see some really awkward videos sometimes. (some of them can be abit fun to see)..
  • nyi95 wrote: »
    It always makes me chuckle when they ask for video evidence. Why do they need it?

Because people will describe a scenario and leave out important details.

I don't really do video capturing ever (I'm not a showoff and don't feel the use for it).

People who share video of their problems with the games aren't 'show offs'. They're providing important context for the developers to get a clear picture of an issue with the game.

• Again I'll ask. What game are they playing if they're not seeing what we're seeing? Not bashing on them, just curious. It leads me to believe that if they're not experiencing what most of us on here are, then what's the point of video evidence?
    If they need video evidence of how to make this game fun again, might i suggest they go back and play a few games on old gen. At least ask the producer or the team that handled that series what they think of the current state of this game. I'd be really curious of the answer.
  • How do you record the unresponsive sluggish feeling?
  • It's funny, though, how there are similar things in FIFA and Madden and both games are a glitch fest and heavily criticized as well...... and oh, yeah they contain UT.
    The thing that bothers me the most is the amount of revenue they make with their racket and we can't get a roster update without duplicates, never mind a game that is not a decade behind in features and works properly.
    FIFA made $1.4 Billion from FUT and the game might be the worst its ever been as far as glitches. I could look past the greed if I was playing a properly made game by a company that FIXED ITS PROBLEMS, and wasn't voted the "worst company" a few times. I mean, if FIFA and Madden are a mess, what chance does NHL have?
    $1.4 Billion, and it performs like an indie beta.
  • Greyinsi wrote: »
    How do you record the unresponsive sluggish feeling?

EA DEVS, I didn't even think of this while I was ranting earlier. Half the problem (that can't be shown by video) is how much time you are in a "locked out" state where you must wait for an elongated animation (that I was talking about before) to finish playing out before you can attempt ANY controller input.

If I got a quarter for every time I said "let me **** pass" or "let me **** shoot it" I could sell my gaming consoles and take up rich-people hobbies instead LOL (bad humor, I know)

You can't be competitive in the game really when you are fighting EA/Lag/Controller input more than your own opponent, and EA would rather find ways to explain it away than figure out what they can do differently (creating the game) that would make all the positive difference in the world. You only have to look at the (un)evolution of NHL 15 through the current NHL 21 to see that proof.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1839 posts Member
    edited February 18
    You can't be competitive in the game really when you are fighting EA/Lag/Controller input more than your own opponent,

How do you explain how players can remain in the top 200 in OVP and HUt then?

If everyone is suffering from all of this nonsense being thrown at them by EA - then please explain how hundreds of players are able to be consistently successful and remain at the top of the leaderboards.
  • You can't be competitive in the game really when you are fighting EA/Lag/Controller input more than your own opponent,

If everyone is suffering from all of this nonsense being thrown at them by EA - then please explain how hundreds of players are able to be consistently successful and remain at the top of the leaderboards.

I just know what it looks like on my side, and I've read plenty of threads over the years about others having the same weird issues in the game all the time. I've also read responses saying that some people don't have any issues. So maybe there's something in internet quality and/or location coming into play. I'm not a tech and do not know what happens behind the scenes.

Let's be clear here that I am the one seeking an explanation for why things feel the way they do on my side...not the other way around. I will say this though. In years passed when you could still view yours and your opponent's past games I would check their games and records after I would quit a very laggy game, and one constant was that EVERYTIME I played a player with a VERY high win percentage my team would feel the most sluggish and laggy. The only conclusion I can draw from that is that this opponent is probably in a location "sweet spot" where they have no problems with anything ever, and most people can't really compete to the same level because of internet limitations. You need skill too of course, but the top players probably have the best skill and the best "sweet spot" going for them at the same time.
  • You can't be competitive in the game really when you are fighting EA/Lag/Controller input more than your own opponent,

Literally no one is saying *everyone* is suffering from this. Why is it so hard to believe that lag exists for some players LOL. Do you even play other online games?
  • KidShowtime1867
    1839 posts Member
    edited February 18
    You can't be competitive in the game really when you are fighting EA/Lag/Controller input more than your own opponent,

Literally no one is saying *everyone* is suffering from this. Why is it so hard to believe that lag exists for some players LOL. Do you even play other online games?

Please. Stop. Attacking. Me.

I didn't say lag doesn't exist for everyone. Of course I play other games.

PLEASE stop attacking my posts.

This isn't about LAG. Confusion2000 says:
    I think things are scripted
    There are just so many little nuances about this game that seem to happen all at once that exaggerate the assistance given to one side over the other.

He's claiming the game is 'scripted' - meaning that a winner is chosen by EA and the game is played out under that direction, but then chose to pivot the conversation to lag and the impacts it has on locking you in to animations.

I am posting the question - if the game is scripted and assistance is being given to one team over the other - explain how players can consistently stay atop the leaderboards.

I understand the explanation about the 'sweet spot' of connections - but that doesn't make sense when OVP is P2P.

Again - PLEASE stop attacking my posts. I've steered clear of you, maybe you can afford me the same courtesy.
  • I dunno, I only play offline modes and the game still gets laggy and dumb if I’ve been playing for more than 90 mins. Basically, once the menus start to slow to a snail’s pace, that’s when I know my next game is going to feel like crap.