EA Forums - Banner

Stop lying to yourselves, cross crease is trash

Replies

• Guess I should take my own advice and learn to play better defense....

• Sega82mega
    3030 posts Member
    edited February 22
    Sega82mega wrote: »

Felt right away it wasen't right... Too bad, cause I was depending on that pass to hit my target, had something nice going.

Anyway, never saw that before, might be some type of bug.... 🙄

Wow that's a crazy video tbh. I'd be so mad lol

Hehe I got surprised. And I had a good momentum.

But if this kinda things will lead to a better game, im ready to take it with a smile...! 😜

Darnell Nurse got himself a real magic-stick!
  • Guess I should take my own advice and learn to play better defense....

You can always blame it on your own AI... There use to take some heat..! 😄
  • jrago73 wrote: »
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    Maybe for forwards, I don't know. But as a DMan auto backskate is something I turn off *immediately* every year I get the game. You are going to get burned in transition far more times than it might ever help you

First thing I do when I boot up a new nhl game the past 10 years.

Every year, turn auto back skate and the sound track off
  • xPDogg65x wrote: »
    jrago73 wrote: »
    Maybe for forwards, I don't know. But as a DMan auto backskate is something I turn off *immediately* every year I get the game. You are going to get burned in transition far more times than it might ever help you

First thing I do when I boot up a new nhl game the past 10 years.

Every year, turn auto back skate and the sound track off

Gotta eat that apple man.
  • I dont know how people usally use L2 and the LS when they go into backskate.

I just want to tell how I do, and it works pretty good.

First hold L2 to turn, but after that.. Release abit of the pressure on L2.. Try to find the balance.. With a more gentle Grip. Don't - just - hold strong on it. And push LS straight back. (6 a clock).. That will not work.

To follow the puck carrier you need follow the rhythm in backskate when you swing your body from left to right... see the LS as a 'clock', try to.. Hmm how to say.. Try to just 'pump' or 'click' your left thumb in direaction between the clock of 7 and 8..when you go left... (you don't need to do it that often.. Just glide along with the edge you get in every 'click' you do..with the LS) . And between 4 and 5 when you go right... And keep trying to play with L2 at the same time.

Try Online vs and play with usa or Canada (for example).. So you get a much bigger ice to find the 'flow' on.

I know probebly everyone know this already, just try to give some tips that works good for me for thoose that dont play this as much.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4276 posts EA Community Manager
    I cant let go of this thread, and for that I am sorry.. 😏

But this happen to me when playing 'onlineVS'.

Felt right away it wasen't right... Too bad, cause I was depending on that pass to hit my target, had something nice going.

How often do you say that happens? It doesn't look like you moved the sticks at all.

Wouldn't mind the rare Oof like this to simulate bloopers because even the professional players space out every rare occasion.
  • EA_Aljo
    2616 posts EA Community Manager

Thanks, @Sega82mega. I'll get this sent over to the dev team so they're aware of it.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    Gifto73 wrote: »
    and really focus on the finer details of the game experience like glass breaking, nets moving, sticks breaking, maybe have the CPU names change every game

A big NOPE on sticks breaking. Removing this from the game was the right call. Certain realism for it's own sake is just bad. In this case it adds nothing but frustration to the game.

NOPE, stick breaks happen multiple times in a real game. Once in a sim game isnt bad. I'd rather have a broken stick or two that doesn't stop the play then run into 4 poke check penalties dragging a game out another 5-10 minutes

I will say this again. Just because it is something is in the game in real life doesnt mean it automatically belongs in the videogame. It was the right call to remove sticks breaking. Realism for realism's sake when it makes the game less fun is not adding value.

There are lots of things that are realistic in the game that would make a video game miserable. For example, would it be "fun" if the game started manufacturing too many men on the ice penalties? Cause realism? I maintain it would not. You can have this in vs AI maybe, but it has no place when you play humans IMO.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

Oof.

I know this is likely a bug, but this would be another example of something that occasionally happens IRL that no one would want to see happen in a videogame.
  • IceLion68
    1161 posts Member
    edited February 23
    Guess I should take my own advice and learn to play better defense....

Ugh. The AI was right in the passing lane tho. This should by all rights have been an intercepted pass.
  • EA_Aljo
    and really focus on the finer details of the game experience like glass breaking, nets moving, sticks breaking, maybe have the CPU names change every game

A big NOPE on sticks breaking. Removing this from the game was the right call. Certain realism for it's own sake is just bad. In this case it adds nothing but frustration to the game.

NOPE, stick breaks happen multiple times in a real game. Once in a sim game isnt bad. I'd rather have a broken stick or two that doesn't stop the play then run into 4 poke check penalties dragging a game out another 5-10 minutes

I will say this again. Just because it is something is in the game in real life doesnt mean it automatically belongs in the videogame. It was the right call to remove sticks breaking. Realism for realism's sake when it makes the game less fun is not adding value.

There are lots of things that are realistic in the game that would make a video game miserable. For example, would it be "fun" if the game started manufacturing too many men on the ice penalties? Cause realism? I maintain it would not. You can have this in vs AI maybe, but it has no place when you play humans IMO.

Some things that were more random have been removed from online play so that you have more control over the game. Broken sticks and elbowing are a couple of examples. Elbowing wasn't totally random as it was based on a penalty, but it's still one you don't really have control over. Unlike charging, for example, which is controllable. We want as much responsibility as possible to come from the person holding the controller. While these are occurrences in the real-world sport of hockey, when it comes to the video game version, the idea is that it's more fun than frustrating. So, removing some aspects that are outside the player's control, even though it removes some realism, can be better for the overall enjoyment.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »

Some things that were more random have been removed from online play so that you have more control over the game. Broken sticks and elbowing are a couple of examples. Elbowing wasn't totally random as it was based on a penalty, but it's still one you don't really have control over. Unlike charging, for example, which is controllable. We want as much responsibility as possible to come from the person holding the controller. While these are occurrences in the real-world sport of hockey, when it comes to the video game version, the idea is that it's more fun than frustrating. So, removing some aspects that are outside the player's control, even though it removes some realism, can be better for the overall enjoyment.

Well said.

Regarding elbowing - I have always wondered. What was it using to determine that there was a penalty when no specific infraction action (LOL) was performed by the player ? I always assumed elbowing (and cross checking IIRC?) happened when you made contact with someone and your player had a low Discipline rating. Is that it or was there something else going on there?
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    Guess I should take my own advice and learn to play better defense....

Ugh. The AI was right in the passing lane tho. This should by all rights have been an intercepted pass.

I just saw this...wow. Just wow. How does that get through? Where is the skill? At some point, the meta makers need to stop pretending like the other 4 CPU guys don’t exist. This is hockey, not rocket league, not ones, not a COD cage match. This is hockey. There’s other people on the ice and their ability to execute rudimentary plays is essential for the flow and skill of hockey to shine.

Why can SDS (the show) produce an experience for both comp and sim players and EA can’t for neither party? Is it because their sliders actually function properly so tuning the game is easier? Do they have more pro baseball players helping with the development process? What’s the deal?
  • EA_Aljo
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

Well said.

Regarding elbowing - I have always wondered. What was it using to determine that there was a penalty when no specific infraction action (LOL) was performed by the player ? I always assumed elbowing (and cross checking IIRC?) happened when you made contact with someone and your player had a low Discipline rating. Is that it or was there something else going on there?

Elbowing can occur when taking a charging penalty. As you said, it's dependent on your discipline rating. The lower the rating, the higher the chance it'll be an elbow.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »

Thanks, @Sega82mega. I'll get this sent over to the dev team so they're aware of it.

Thank you mate!
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

How often do you say that happens? It doesn't look like you moved the sticks at all.

Wouldn't mind the rare Oof like this to simulate bloopers because even the professional players space out every rare occasion.

Hehe first time experience.

I try to be steady with my thumb.. Dont move to much... Im to old for that 🙄😏

I have seen the craziest space outs in real world nhl..unbelievable some are still alive.
  • Sega82mega
    3030 posts Member
    edited February 25
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

Why don't we have control over elbowing? It's just happen without having to do too much on the button layout?

It would be cool to have more control over such thing.

(never mind, I missed the explanation above with IceLion68. My bad.)

Charging happens quite easy, cause the speed is often pretty high, but it can definitely be a good idea to refrain a big hit, and hit the breaks.

But it's fun to give in for a charging call sometimes, worth a 2 minutes penalty, unless I get a game-penalty.. 🙄

• This might be what we call, a forced cross crease.

The puck almost too fast for MacKinnon..
  • KidShowtime1867
    1566 posts Member
    edited February 26

This might be what we call, a forced cross crease.

The puck almost too fast for MacKinnon..

Yea it's these types of cross crease plays where you just shake your head.

I'm more interested in getting this fixed:

Like.. what is even happening there? It's a good video example of an issue a lot of people (myself included) have had with this game for years which is that the puck is intertwined with the actual player model rather than being a separate object.

I can only imagine this element of the game engine is contributing to a lot of the 'what the **' moments that drive people away from the series.