EA Forums - Banner

I'm Done with this game...

Replies

  • I would like to see less icing. But that rule works pretty good.
  • jplavoie96 wrote: »
    jplavoie96 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    So today is one of those days where every game is [profanity removed] rigged. I don’t every know why I do this to myself. After winning 17 games in a row I can’t even score a goal. My players have cement blocks on their skates.

    Edit: Removed profanity. Please do not try to circumvent the profanity filter. -CM

    Are you also saying the game is rigged because you won 17 games in a row? Streaks happen in the real world as well. Eventually, they're broken. Just like when you have a streak of losses. The game isn't forcing you to win or lose. The outcome is determined by the inputs from the human holding the controller as well as the overalls of the players on the ice, strategies being used and fatigue.

    That’s exactly what I’m saying. Winning 17 games in a row my team was OP all day long. I even direct messaged my opponents telling telling them such.

    Do you guys understand people like me would spend money on packs if I thought it mattered? I would blow $200-300 a year easily if I thought it gave me an edge.



    Dude, I would spend 200-300$ a month if this game was fair. A friend of mine spent 3,000$ on his HUT Team one year (NHL 19). He got so frustrated after a while that not only he stopped playing the game but he sold his XBOX console to a friend and never played a game of NHL since. Whoever is at the head of marketing at EA Sports should go back to school. The business model doesn’t work.

    Net revenue from EA's Ultimate Team game modes, across all titles:-

    2015: $587 million
    2016: $660 million
    2017: $775 million
    2018: $1.18 billion
    2019: $1.37 billion
    2020: $1.49 billion

    Yeah. The business model clearly doesn't work, because your friend stopped playing NHL after spending crazy money one year.

    Do you have those numbers just for the NHL franchise?

    No, but it doesn't matter, given that the business model that apparently "doesn't work" is the same across NHL Ultimate Team, FIFA Ultimate Team, and Madden Ultimate Team.

    Here's your starter team...here's some rewards that aren't as good as the packs you get in store...here's a promo, buy some packs...here's some rewards that aren't as good as the packs you get in store...here's a promo, buy some packs...and over and over again until the next game comes out.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited February 2021
    Online in-gaming this days most bring so much. Probebly more then what they get from all thoose that pick up a copy.

    Would surprise me alot if EA NHL didn't go well and with big profits, best ever, maybe?
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    I would like to see less icing. But that rule works pretty good.
    jplavoie96 wrote: »
    jplavoie96 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    So today is one of those days where every game is [profanity removed] rigged. I don’t every know why I do this to myself. After winning 17 games in a row I can’t even score a goal. My players have cement blocks on their skates.

    Edit: Removed profanity. Please do not try to circumvent the profanity filter. -CM

    Are you also saying the game is rigged because you won 17 games in a row? Streaks happen in the real world as well. Eventually, they're broken. Just like when you have a streak of losses. The game isn't forcing you to win or lose. The outcome is determined by the inputs from the human holding the controller as well as the overalls of the players on the ice, strategies being used and fatigue.

    That’s exactly what I’m saying. Winning 17 games in a row my team was OP all day long. I even direct messaged my opponents telling telling them such.

    Do you guys understand people like me would spend money on packs if I thought it mattered? I would blow $200-300 a year easily if I thought it gave me an edge.



    Dude, I would spend 200-300$ a month if this game was fair. A friend of mine spent 3,000$ on his HUT Team one year (NHL 19). He got so frustrated after a while that not only he stopped playing the game but he sold his XBOX console to a friend and never played a game of NHL since. Whoever is at the head of marketing at EA Sports should go back to school. The business model doesn’t work.

    Net revenue from EA's Ultimate Team game modes, across all titles:-

    2015: $587 million
    2016: $660 million
    2017: $775 million
    2018: $1.18 billion
    2019: $1.37 billion
    2020: $1.49 billion

    Yeah. The business model clearly doesn't work, because your friend stopped playing NHL after spending crazy money one year.

    Do you have those numbers just for the NHL franchise?

    No, but it doesn't matter, given that the business model that apparently "doesn't work" is the same across NHL Ultimate Team, FIFA Ultimate Team, and Madden Ultimate Team.

    Here's your starter team...here's some rewards that aren't as good as the packs you get in store...here's a promo, buy some packs...here's some rewards that aren't as good as the packs you get in store...here's a promo, buy some packs...and over and over again until the next game comes out.

    Your numbers are probably 90% FIFA + Madden hence, irrelevant. From what I could find, EA NHL revenues have been pretty stable for a while. Also, from what I read on this forum and others, many long-time players, just like me, quit playing the game. How can this be a good business model?
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited February 2021
    Many people quit and many people start brand new.

    This numbers goes up and down, but the cash they make from 'online purchase' thats the biggest win.
  • EA_Aljo
    3229 posts EA Community Manager
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    So today is one of those days where every game is [profanity removed] rigged. I don’t every know why I do this to myself. After winning 17 games in a row I can’t even score a goal. My players have cement blocks on their skates.

    Edit: Removed profanity. Please do not try to circumvent the profanity filter. -CM

    Are you also saying the game is rigged because you won 17 games in a row? Streaks happen in the real world as well. Eventually, they're broken. Just like when you have a streak of losses. The game isn't forcing you to win or lose. The outcome is determined by the inputs from the human holding the controller as well as the overalls of the players on the ice, strategies being used and fatigue.

    That’s exactly what I’m saying. Winning 17 games in a row my team was OP all day long. I even direct messaged my opponents telling telling them such.

    Do you guys understand people like me would spend money on packs if I thought it mattered? I would blow $200-300 a year easily if I thought it gave me an edge.


    Just so I understand you right, you're saying your own skill has nothing to do with this and the computer forced you to win 17 games in a row?

    Look man you seem like a nice guy who really just wants to help. You probably believe everything that you say. I don’t know how else to explain my frustration. I’m 40 years old with a family, not a teenager who can’t accept they might not be good at a video game. If you go through my post history (going back many years) I continue to post the same exact problem, and try to explain in detail what exactly is happening.

    I’m no conspiracy theorist. I’ve never blamed DDA. All I know is their is a problem, and that’s a fact. Not some illusion based on skill, but a fact. The minute you can accept what I’m saying is possible, is the only way to offer a solution.

    I play HUT vs, and only HUT vs. The best way to describe the gameplay issue is, it feels like my team is playing with superstar sliders, while my opponents (a human opponent) is playing on semi pro or rookie sliders. You’ll say that isn’t happening, which is probably true, but that’s the feel of the game.

    Every player attribute can be effected. There are games where my 91 overall Shannahan shoots 100 mph top corner rockets, then games where that same 91 Shannahan shoots weak 70 mph and misses the net by 3 feet all game long. There are games where my defense is swarming and I can poke check just getting near the puck, and games where I take 8 tripping penalties while not being able to poke the skater standing still. Games where I can line up every body check and blow guys up, and games where I weakly bounce off or whiff every body check. Same thing with face offs , speed agility , goaltending etc. Sometimes my whole team is orange endurance 6 minutes into the 1st period, sometimes I always have 2 full green lines all game. Again I don’t know how else to explain it, but the difference isn’t subtle.

    Was me winning 17 games in a row my skill or not? I have no idea. I don’t know how my team should play with everything being fair n square.

    I'm not saying the game is perfect. There's always room for improvement. What I am saying is that the outcome of games is based purely on your own skill, overalls, the strategies being used, fatigue, etc. The game isn't forcing you to play better or worse. It's not boosting your attributes or lowering them when it feels like it or because it wants someone to win or lose. We can go back and forth on this forever so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

    Can you get me video of a game where you whiff on every check, lose every faceoff, have noticeably slower skaters, etc? The same goes for the opposite. It would be good to see this. I've seen people make these claims, but we haven't been able to get video of even a single period showing where one side has an advantage or disadvantage from the game deciding who should get that arbitrarily. Then we hear that it's just a feeling and you have to play to know. That is what is known as confirmation bias and is the reason people believe in ice tilt.

    When it comes to competitive games, there isn't a lot of accountability when someone loses. How often do you get a good game message after playing someone? Probably not as often as a hateful message or one blaming the game for their loss or accusing their opponent of using exploits. It's easy for people to let frustration cause them to lay blame on anything but themselves. I have said it many times. If those that believe the game is forcing you to play badly would instead focus on learning from their own mistakes and correcting them instead of blaming the game, they'd probably see a big change in their record.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    Many people quit and many people start brand new.

    This numbers goes up and down, but the cash they make from 'online purchase' thats the biggest win.

    This is from this forum back in 2018.
    0lke17a31z5d.png
  • jplavoie96 wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Many people quit and many people start brand new.

    This numbers goes up and down, but the cash they make from 'online purchase' thats the biggest win.

    This is from this forum back in 2018.
    0lke17a31z5d.png

    Thanks.

    15 was 'next gen'. Not so weird it got most.

    16 to 18 'pretty close'.

    I bealive alot of people will come back to test things out in 22, sence it's the beginning of a new era, just like 15 was.
  • jplavoie96 wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    I would like to see less icing. But that rule works pretty good.
    jplavoie96 wrote: »
    jplavoie96 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    So today is one of those days where every game is [profanity removed] rigged. I don’t every know why I do this to myself. After winning 17 games in a row I can’t even score a goal. My players have cement blocks on their skates.

    Edit: Removed profanity. Please do not try to circumvent the profanity filter. -CM

    Are you also saying the game is rigged because you won 17 games in a row? Streaks happen in the real world as well. Eventually, they're broken. Just like when you have a streak of losses. The game isn't forcing you to win or lose. The outcome is determined by the inputs from the human holding the controller as well as the overalls of the players on the ice, strategies being used and fatigue.

    That’s exactly what I’m saying. Winning 17 games in a row my team was OP all day long. I even direct messaged my opponents telling telling them such.

    Do you guys understand people like me would spend money on packs if I thought it mattered? I would blow $200-300 a year easily if I thought it gave me an edge.



    Dude, I would spend 200-300$ a month if this game was fair. A friend of mine spent 3,000$ on his HUT Team one year (NHL 19). He got so frustrated after a while that not only he stopped playing the game but he sold his XBOX console to a friend and never played a game of NHL since. Whoever is at the head of marketing at EA Sports should go back to school. The business model doesn’t work.

    Net revenue from EA's Ultimate Team game modes, across all titles:-

    2015: $587 million
    2016: $660 million
    2017: $775 million
    2018: $1.18 billion
    2019: $1.37 billion
    2020: $1.49 billion

    Yeah. The business model clearly doesn't work, because your friend stopped playing NHL after spending crazy money one year.

    Do you have those numbers just for the NHL franchise?

    No, but it doesn't matter, given that the business model that apparently "doesn't work" is the same across NHL Ultimate Team, FIFA Ultimate Team, and Madden Ultimate Team.

    Here's your starter team...here's some rewards that aren't as good as the packs you get in store...here's a promo, buy some packs...here's some rewards that aren't as good as the packs you get in store...here's a promo, buy some packs...and over and over again until the next game comes out.

    Your numbers are probably 90% FIFA + Madden hence, irrelevant. From what I could find, EA NHL revenues have been pretty stable for a while. Also, from what I read on this forum and others, many long-time players, just like me, quit playing the game. How can this be a good business model?

    Not irrelevant in the slightest. The business model is identical across all three games. Even if NHL accounted for $1, the argument would still hold.

    You say the business model doesn't work because your friend went overboard and spent $3k on packs before regretting it and not playing anymore.

    I say the business model works because it makes the business increasing amounts of profit each year. Last year, almost $1.5billion with a 'b.'

    If $1.5b in almost pure profit from releasing basically the same product year after year is a bad business model, I'd love to know what your idea of a good one is.
  • jplavoie96 wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    I would like to see less icing. But that rule works pretty good.
    jplavoie96 wrote: »
    jplavoie96 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    So today is one of those days where every game is [profanity removed] rigged. I don’t every know why I do this to myself. After winning 17 games in a row I can’t even score a goal. My players have cement blocks on their skates.

    Edit: Removed profanity. Please do not try to circumvent the profanity filter. -CM

    Are you also saying the game is rigged because you won 17 games in a row? Streaks happen in the real world as well. Eventually, they're broken. Just like when you have a streak of losses. The game isn't forcing you to win or lose. The outcome is determined by the inputs from the human holding the controller as well as the overalls of the players on the ice, strategies being used and fatigue.

    That’s exactly what I’m saying. Winning 17 games in a row my team was OP all day long. I even direct messaged my opponents telling telling them such.

    Do you guys understand people like me would spend money on packs if I thought it mattered? I would blow $200-300 a year easily if I thought it gave me an edge.



    Dude, I would spend 200-300$ a month if this game was fair. A friend of mine spent 3,000$ on his HUT Team one year (NHL 19). He got so frustrated after a while that not only he stopped playing the game but he sold his XBOX console to a friend and never played a game of NHL since. Whoever is at the head of marketing at EA Sports should go back to school. The business model doesn’t work.

    Net revenue from EA's Ultimate Team game modes, across all titles:-

    2015: $587 million
    2016: $660 million
    2017: $775 million
    2018: $1.18 billion
    2019: $1.37 billion
    2020: $1.49 billion

    Yeah. The business model clearly doesn't work, because your friend stopped playing NHL after spending crazy money one year.

    Do you have those numbers just for the NHL franchise?

    No, but it doesn't matter, given that the business model that apparently "doesn't work" is the same across NHL Ultimate Team, FIFA Ultimate Team, and Madden Ultimate Team.

    Here's your starter team...here's some rewards that aren't as good as the packs you get in store...here's a promo, buy some packs...here's some rewards that aren't as good as the packs you get in store...here's a promo, buy some packs...and over and over again until the next game comes out.

    Your numbers are probably 90% FIFA + Madden hence, irrelevant. From what I could find, EA NHL revenues have been pretty stable for a while. Also, from what I read on this forum and others, many long-time players, just like me, quit playing the game. How can this be a good business model?

    Not irrelevant in the slightest. The business model is identical across all three games. Even if NHL accounted for $1, the argument would still hold.

    You say the business model doesn't work because your friend went overboard and spent $3k on packs before regretting it and not playing anymore.

    I say the business model works because it makes the business increasing amounts of profit each year. Last year, almost $1.5billion with a 'b.'

    If $1.5b in almost pure profit from releasing basically the same product year after year is a bad business model, I'd love to know what your idea of a good one is.


    I've previously posted the numbers for the first week of sales for the NHL franchise since 2015. From these numbers we can see that the sales drop by 100K units from NHL15 to NHL18. A company looks at the profitability of all its segments and products. For example, Ford is very profitable but its main revenues come from the sales of pickup trucks F150 and SUVs but not so much from cars. That's why they decided to stop making cars with the exception of the Mustang. They could have kept building cars like the Taurus since, like the NHL game, it was pretty much the same product year over year but it wasn’t a good business model since it wasn’t appealing enough to the customers. Many gamers on this Forum and others have been expressing how unsatisfied they are about the NHL franchise for many years now. Not listening to your customers and taking them for granted because you have the monopoly and thinking that there’s no other options (hockey games) for them to play is not a good business model. You’re not growing that segment of the business and many lost customers may never come back even though you improve your product in the future. It might also affect other segments of the company. That’s leaving money on the table. If sales keep decreasing for the NHL franchise, EA might stop investing in it or just stop making it.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited February 2021
    As long as EA is the only creator of a hockey game, I dont see the point of stop making it.

    Why should they? There is a demand..

    All tough, the hockey crowd may be small but it's plenty enough to make $$ on them.
  • SuperKMX_39
    120 posts Member
    edited February 2021
    jplavoie96 wrote: »
    jplavoie96 wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    I would like to see less icing. But that rule works pretty good.
    jplavoie96 wrote: »
    jplavoie96 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    So today is one of those days where every game is [profanity removed] rigged. I don’t every know why I do this to myself. After winning 17 games in a row I can’t even score a goal. My players have cement blocks on their skates.

    Edit: Removed profanity. Please do not try to circumvent the profanity filter. -CM

    Are you also saying the game is rigged because you won 17 games in a row? Streaks happen in the real world as well. Eventually, they're broken. Just like when you have a streak of losses. The game isn't forcing you to win or lose. The outcome is determined by the inputs from the human holding the controller as well as the overalls of the players on the ice, strategies being used and fatigue.

    That’s exactly what I’m saying. Winning 17 games in a row my team was OP all day long. I even direct messaged my opponents telling telling them such.

    Do you guys understand people like me would spend money on packs if I thought it mattered? I would blow $200-300 a year easily if I thought it gave me an edge.



    Dude, I would spend 200-300$ a month if this game was fair. A friend of mine spent 3,000$ on his HUT Team one year (NHL 19). He got so frustrated after a while that not only he stopped playing the game but he sold his XBOX console to a friend and never played a game of NHL since. Whoever is at the head of marketing at EA Sports should go back to school. The business model doesn’t work.

    Net revenue from EA's Ultimate Team game modes, across all titles:-

    2015: $587 million
    2016: $660 million
    2017: $775 million
    2018: $1.18 billion
    2019: $1.37 billion
    2020: $1.49 billion

    Yeah. The business model clearly doesn't work, because your friend stopped playing NHL after spending crazy money one year.

    Do you have those numbers just for the NHL franchise?

    No, but it doesn't matter, given that the business model that apparently "doesn't work" is the same across NHL Ultimate Team, FIFA Ultimate Team, and Madden Ultimate Team.

    Here's your starter team...here's some rewards that aren't as good as the packs you get in store...here's a promo, buy some packs...here's some rewards that aren't as good as the packs you get in store...here's a promo, buy some packs...and over and over again until the next game comes out.

    Your numbers are probably 90% FIFA + Madden hence, irrelevant. From what I could find, EA NHL revenues have been pretty stable for a while. Also, from what I read on this forum and others, many long-time players, just like me, quit playing the game. How can this be a good business model?

    Not irrelevant in the slightest. The business model is identical across all three games. Even if NHL accounted for $1, the argument would still hold.

    You say the business model doesn't work because your friend went overboard and spent $3k on packs before regretting it and not playing anymore.

    I say the business model works because it makes the business increasing amounts of profit each year. Last year, almost $1.5billion with a 'b.'

    If $1.5b in almost pure profit from releasing basically the same product year after year is a bad business model, I'd love to know what your idea of a good one is.


    I've previously posted the numbers for the first week of sales for the NHL franchise since 2015. From these numbers we can see that the sales drop by 100K units from NHL15 to NHL18. A company looks at the profitability of all its segments and products. For example, Ford is very profitable but its main revenues come from the sales of pickup trucks F150 and SUVs but not so much from cars. That's why they decided to stop making cars with the exception of the Mustang.

    ...and the Fiesta, the Ecosport, the New Puma, the Focus, the All-New Kuga, and the Mondeo. And the Ford GT.

    The simple fact is that NHL makes money for EA. Whether it's 1% of $1.5billion or 10% of $1.5billion, it still makes money. If it accounts for just 1% of that revenue, it will have made $15million. And that's just from Ultimate Team. That isn't including the actual purchase price, or the money made from things such as whatever deal they struck with Microsoft to include EA titles on Game Pass.

    Do you think it costs more than that to put this game out each year? Especially when the game is already built and we're buying the same thing over and over with minor changes? If they had 30 developers working on it at $100,000 each a year - which is likely a massive overestimation in terms of staffing and salaries - they'd still be $12million up before accounting for actual sales.

    Sure, if sales drop so that just two people buy it and neither of them play Ultimate Team, they'll have a problem. But now? Nah.
    jplavoie96 wrote: »
    Many gamers on this Forum and others have been expressing how unsatisfied they are about the NHL franchise for many years now. Not listening to your customers and taking them for granted because you have the monopoly and thinking that there’s no other options (hockey games) for them to play is not a good business model.

    Yeah. And many people have been expressing for years how unsatisfied they are with FIFA. And many gamers expressed how dissatisfied they were with Madden 21. There are countless videos on how terrible and awful both games are.

    Doesn't seem to have hurt EA's bank balance much so far, to be honest.
  • jplavoie96 wrote: »
    jplavoie96 wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    I would like to see less icing. But that rule works pretty good.
    jplavoie96 wrote: »
    jplavoie96 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    So today is one of those days where every game is [profanity removed] rigged. I don’t every know why I do this to myself. After winning 17 games in a row I can’t even score a goal. My players have cement blocks on their skates.

    Edit: Removed profanity. Please do not try to circumvent the profanity filter. -CM

    Are you also saying the game is rigged because you won 17 games in a row? Streaks happen in the real world as well. Eventually, they're broken. Just like when you have a streak of losses. The game isn't forcing you to win or lose. The outcome is determined by the inputs from the human holding the controller as well as the overalls of the players on the ice, strategies being used and fatigue.

    That’s exactly what I’m saying. Winning 17 games in a row my team was OP all day long. I even direct messaged my opponents telling telling them such.

    Do you guys understand people like me would spend money on packs if I thought it mattered? I would blow $200-300 a year easily if I thought it gave me an edge.



    Dude, I would spend 200-300$ a month if this game was fair. A friend of mine spent 3,000$ on his HUT Team one year (NHL 19). He got so frustrated after a while that not only he stopped playing the game but he sold his XBOX console to a friend and never played a game of NHL since. Whoever is at the head of marketing at EA Sports should go back to school. The business model doesn’t work.

    Net revenue from EA's Ultimate Team game modes, across all titles:-

    2015: $587 million
    2016: $660 million
    2017: $775 million
    2018: $1.18 billion
    2019: $1.37 billion
    2020: $1.49 billion

    Yeah. The business model clearly doesn't work, because your friend stopped playing NHL after spending crazy money one year.

    Do you have those numbers just for the NHL franchise?

    No, but it doesn't matter, given that the business model that apparently "doesn't work" is the same across NHL Ultimate Team, FIFA Ultimate Team, and Madden Ultimate Team.

    Here's your starter team...here's some rewards that aren't as good as the packs you get in store...here's a promo, buy some packs...here's some rewards that aren't as good as the packs you get in store...here's a promo, buy some packs...and over and over again until the next game comes out.

    Your numbers are probably 90% FIFA + Madden hence, irrelevant. From what I could find, EA NHL revenues have been pretty stable for a while. Also, from what I read on this forum and others, many long-time players, just like me, quit playing the game. How can this be a good business model?

    Not irrelevant in the slightest. The business model is identical across all three games. Even if NHL accounted for $1, the argument would still hold.

    You say the business model doesn't work because your friend went overboard and spent $3k on packs before regretting it and not playing anymore.

    I say the business model works because it makes the business increasing amounts of profit each year. Last year, almost $1.5billion with a 'b.'

    If $1.5b in almost pure profit from releasing basically the same product year after year is a bad business model, I'd love to know what your idea of a good one is.


    I've previously posted the numbers for the first week of sales for the NHL franchise since 2015. From these numbers we can see that the sales drop by 100K units from NHL15 to NHL18. A company looks at the profitability of all its segments and products. For example, Ford is very profitable but its main revenues come from the sales of pickup trucks F150 and SUVs but not so much from cars. That's why they decided to stop making cars with the exception of the Mustang.

    ...and the Fiesta, the Ecosport, the New Puma, the Focus, the All-New Kuga, and the Mondeo. And the Ford GT.

    The simple fact is that NHL makes money for EA. Whether it's 1% of $1.5billion or 10% of $1.5billion, it still makes money. If it accounts for just 1% of that revenue, it will have made $15million. And that's just from Ultimate Team. That isn't including the actual purchase price, or the money made from things such as whatever deal they struck with Microsoft to include EA titles on Game Pass.

    Do you think it costs more than that to put this game out each year? Especially when the game is already built and we're buying the same thing over and over with minor changes? If they had 30 developers working on it at $100,000 each a year - which is likely a massive overestimation in terms of staffing and salaries - they'd still be $12million up before accounting for actual sales.

    Sure, if sales drop so that just two people buy it and neither of them play Ultimate Team, they'll have a problem. But now? Nah.
    jplavoie96 wrote: »
    Many gamers on this Forum and others have been expressing how unsatisfied they are about the NHL franchise for many years now. Not listening to your customers and taking them for granted because you have the monopoly and thinking that there’s no other options (hockey games) for them to play is not a good business model.

    Yeah. And many people have been expressing for years how unsatisfied they are with FIFA. And many gamers expressed how dissatisfied they were with Madden 21. There are countless videos on how terrible and awful both games are.

    Doesn't seem to have hurt EA's bank balance much so far, to be honest.

    Not yet maybe but it will come back and bite them in the ****. Look what happened to NBA Live when 2K came out. 2K made them irrelevant.
  • jplavoie96 wrote: »
    jplavoie96 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    So today is one of those days where every game is [profanity removed] rigged. I don’t every know why I do this to myself. After winning 17 games in a row I can’t even score a goal. My players have cement blocks on their skates.

    Edit: Removed profanity. Please do not try to circumvent the profanity filter. -CM

    Are you also saying the game is rigged because you won 17 games in a row? Streaks happen in the real world as well. Eventually, they're broken. Just like when you have a streak of losses. The game isn't forcing you to win or lose. The outcome is determined by the inputs from the human holding the controller as well as the overalls of the players on the ice, strategies being used and fatigue.

    That’s exactly what I’m saying. Winning 17 games in a row my team was OP all day long. I even direct messaged my opponents telling telling them such.

    Do you guys understand people like me would spend money on packs if I thought it mattered? I would blow $200-300 a year easily if I thought it gave me an edge.



    Dude, I would spend 200-300$ a month if this game was fair. A friend of mine spent 3,000$ on his HUT Team one year (NHL 19). He got so frustrated after a while that not only he stopped playing the game but he sold his XBOX console to a friend and never played a game of NHL since. Whoever is at the head of marketing at EA Sports should go back to school. The business model doesn’t work.

    Net revenue from EA's Ultimate Team game modes, across all titles:-

    2015: $587 million
    2016: $660 million
    2017: $775 million
    2018: $1.18 billion
    2019: $1.37 billion
    2020: $1.49 billion

    Yeah. The business model clearly doesn't work, because your friend stopped playing NHL after spending crazy money one year.

    Do you have those numbers just for the NHL franchise?

    No, but it doesn't matter, given that the business model that apparently "doesn't work" is the same across NHL Ultimate Team, FIFA Ultimate Team, and Madden Ultimate Team.

    Here's your starter team...here's some rewards that aren't as good as the packs you get in store...here's a promo, buy some packs...here's some rewards that aren't as good as the packs you get in store...here's a promo, buy some packs...and over and over again until the next game comes out.

    The packs are the exact same as the ones in the store.

    If you're good enough and can get ultimate packs, they're even better.

    What do you mean rewards that aren't as good as in the store?
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    So today is one of those days where every game is [profanity removed] rigged. I don’t every know why I do this to myself. After winning 17 games in a row I can’t even score a goal. My players have cement blocks on their skates.

    Edit: Removed profanity. Please do not try to circumvent the profanity filter. -CM

    Are you also saying the game is rigged because you won 17 games in a row? Streaks happen in the real world as well. Eventually, they're broken. Just like when you have a streak of losses. The game isn't forcing you to win or lose. The outcome is determined by the inputs from the human holding the controller as well as the overalls of the players on the ice, strategies being used and fatigue.

    That’s exactly what I’m saying. Winning 17 games in a row my team was OP all day long. I even direct messaged my opponents telling telling them such.

    Do you guys understand people like me would spend money on packs if I thought it mattered? I would blow $200-300 a year easily if I thought it gave me an edge.


    Just so I understand you right, you're saying your own skill has nothing to do with this and the computer forced you to win 17 games in a row?

    Look man you seem like a nice guy who really just wants to help. You probably believe everything that you say. I don’t know how else to explain my frustration. I’m 40 years old with a family, not a teenager who can’t accept they might not be good at a video game. If you go through my post history (going back many years) I continue to post the same exact problem, and try to explain in detail what exactly is happening.

    I’m no conspiracy theorist. I’ve never blamed DDA. All I know is their is a problem, and that’s a fact. Not some illusion based on skill, but a fact. The minute you can accept what I’m saying is possible, is the only way to offer a solution.

    I play HUT vs, and only HUT vs. The best way to describe the gameplay issue is, it feels like my team is playing with superstar sliders, while my opponents (a human opponent) is playing on semi pro or rookie sliders. You’ll say that isn’t happening, which is probably true, but that’s the feel of the game.

    Every player attribute can be effected. There are games where my 91 overall Shannahan shoots 100 mph top corner rockets, then games where that same 91 Shannahan shoots weak 70 mph and misses the net by 3 feet all game long. There are games where my defense is swarming and I can poke check just getting near the puck, and games where I take 8 tripping penalties while not being able to poke the skater standing still. Games where I can line up every body check and blow guys up, and games where I weakly bounce off or whiff every body check. Same thing with face offs , speed agility , goaltending etc. Sometimes my whole team is orange endurance 6 minutes into the 1st period, sometimes I always have 2 full green lines all game. Again I don’t know how else to explain it, but the difference isn’t subtle.

    Was me winning 17 games in a row my skill or not? I have no idea. I don’t know how my team should play with everything being fair n square.

    I'm not saying the game is perfect. There's always room for improvement. What I am saying is that the outcome of games is based purely on your own skill, overalls, the strategies being used, fatigue, etc. The game isn't forcing you to play better or worse. It's not boosting your attributes or lowering them when it feels like it or because it wants someone to win or lose. We can go back and forth on this forever so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

    Can you get me video of a game where you whiff on every check, lose every faceoff, have noticeably slower skaters, etc? The same goes for the opposite. It would be good to see this. I've seen people make these claims, but we haven't been able to get video of even a single period showing where one side has an advantage or disadvantage from the game deciding who should get that arbitrarily. Then we hear that it's just a feeling and you have to play to know. That is what is known as confirmation bias and is the reason people believe in ice tilt.

    When it comes to competitive games, there isn't a lot of accountability when someone loses. How often do you get a good game message after playing someone? Probably not as often as a hateful message or one blaming the game for their loss or accusing their opponent of using exploits. It's easy for people to let frustration cause them to lay blame on anything but themselves. I have said it many times. If those that believe the game is forcing you to play badly would instead focus on learning from their own mistakes and correcting them instead of blaming the game, they'd probably see a big change in their record.

    When server location is the single biggest factor that can even negate skill, I'm gonna say that the game does in fact force you to play better or worse.

    Proof? I've beat Johnwayne and he's one of the best. If he's in Alaska as I understand, that makes me closer to the Seattle server.

    Why couldn't his superior elite skill beat my above average skill?

    This single example is why servers do more harm than good and is the blame of "tilt" online. If we were p2p we'd have an equal connection to each other and I most likely would of lost.

    Offline, well that's just simply not knowing how to properly make smarter ai instead of just over powered ai that can do things humans can't. (exact pinpoint accuracy and movement for poke checks that no human could ever hope to achieve).

    If I was to take a video of everything you're asking that guy, I'd be spending more time stopping the game to take clips and uploading them, than I would be playing the game. It's not every game, but when the game is acting in a way that causes the whole ice tilt belief in the first place is occurring, I can guarantee I'll be uttering "double you tee eff" on an almost constant flow because of the absurdity of what the ai is doing (offline).

    Online, maybe you can answer this. What specific strategy setting causes my ai defensemen to swarm the opponent puck carrier? What makes them take the puck for me while I sit in the slot? I think I need to simply join in the skill zone now, but I haven't found a set of strategies that let's my ai be dominant and useful.

    If there's no mechanic in place to cause the absurdities in this game that we blame on tilt, maybe there's a set of strategies or something in the gameplay settings that bleeds into the wrong modes causing unintended effects? Point is, you're basically stuck on specific words like tilt and because of that, you ignore the actual problems. Swap the word tilt with bug or glitch. Does that make it something worth looking into then? Or is it already something you guys have predetermined to automatically disregard as user error the moment someone mentions the word tilt?

  • ...and the Fiesta, the Ecosport, the New Puma, the Focus, the All-New Kuga, and the Mondeo. And the Ford GT.

    Don't know where you live but none of these cars are available in Canada nor in USA.

  • EA_Aljo
    3229 posts EA Community Manager
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    So today is one of those days where every game is [profanity removed] rigged. I don’t every know why I do this to myself. After winning 17 games in a row I can’t even score a goal. My players have cement blocks on their skates.

    Edit: Removed profanity. Please do not try to circumvent the profanity filter. -CM

    Are you also saying the game is rigged because you won 17 games in a row? Streaks happen in the real world as well. Eventually, they're broken. Just like when you have a streak of losses. The game isn't forcing you to win or lose. The outcome is determined by the inputs from the human holding the controller as well as the overalls of the players on the ice, strategies being used and fatigue.

    That’s exactly what I’m saying. Winning 17 games in a row my team was OP all day long. I even direct messaged my opponents telling telling them such.

    Do you guys understand people like me would spend money on packs if I thought it mattered? I would blow $200-300 a year easily if I thought it gave me an edge.


    Just so I understand you right, you're saying your own skill has nothing to do with this and the computer forced you to win 17 games in a row?

    Look man you seem like a nice guy who really just wants to help. You probably believe everything that you say. I don’t know how else to explain my frustration. I’m 40 years old with a family, not a teenager who can’t accept they might not be good at a video game. If you go through my post history (going back many years) I continue to post the same exact problem, and try to explain in detail what exactly is happening.

    I’m no conspiracy theorist. I’ve never blamed DDA. All I know is their is a problem, and that’s a fact. Not some illusion based on skill, but a fact. The minute you can accept what I’m saying is possible, is the only way to offer a solution.

    I play HUT vs, and only HUT vs. The best way to describe the gameplay issue is, it feels like my team is playing with superstar sliders, while my opponents (a human opponent) is playing on semi pro or rookie sliders. You’ll say that isn’t happening, which is probably true, but that’s the feel of the game.

    Every player attribute can be effected. There are games where my 91 overall Shannahan shoots 100 mph top corner rockets, then games where that same 91 Shannahan shoots weak 70 mph and misses the net by 3 feet all game long. There are games where my defense is swarming and I can poke check just getting near the puck, and games where I take 8 tripping penalties while not being able to poke the skater standing still. Games where I can line up every body check and blow guys up, and games where I weakly bounce off or whiff every body check. Same thing with face offs , speed agility , goaltending etc. Sometimes my whole team is orange endurance 6 minutes into the 1st period, sometimes I always have 2 full green lines all game. Again I don’t know how else to explain it, but the difference isn’t subtle.

    Was me winning 17 games in a row my skill or not? I have no idea. I don’t know how my team should play with everything being fair n square.

    I'm not saying the game is perfect. There's always room for improvement. What I am saying is that the outcome of games is based purely on your own skill, overalls, the strategies being used, fatigue, etc. The game isn't forcing you to play better or worse. It's not boosting your attributes or lowering them when it feels like it or because it wants someone to win or lose. We can go back and forth on this forever so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

    Can you get me video of a game where you whiff on every check, lose every faceoff, have noticeably slower skaters, etc? The same goes for the opposite. It would be good to see this. I've seen people make these claims, but we haven't been able to get video of even a single period showing where one side has an advantage or disadvantage from the game deciding who should get that arbitrarily. Then we hear that it's just a feeling and you have to play to know. That is what is known as confirmation bias and is the reason people believe in ice tilt.

    When it comes to competitive games, there isn't a lot of accountability when someone loses. How often do you get a good game message after playing someone? Probably not as often as a hateful message or one blaming the game for their loss or accusing their opponent of using exploits. It's easy for people to let frustration cause them to lay blame on anything but themselves. I have said it many times. If those that believe the game is forcing you to play badly would instead focus on learning from their own mistakes and correcting them instead of blaming the game, they'd probably see a big change in their record.

    When server location is the single biggest factor that can even negate skill, I'm gonna say that the game does in fact force you to play better or worse.

    Proof? I've beat Johnwayne and he's one of the best. If he's in Alaska as I understand, that makes me closer to the Seattle server.

    Why couldn't his superior elite skill beat my above average skill?

    This single example is why servers do more harm than good and is the blame of "tilt" online. If we were p2p we'd have an equal connection to each other and I most likely would of lost.

    Offline, well that's just simply not knowing how to properly make smarter ai instead of just over powered ai that can do things humans can't. (exact pinpoint accuracy and movement for poke checks that no human could ever hope to achieve).

    If I was to take a video of everything you're asking that guy, I'd be spending more time stopping the game to take clips and uploading them, than I would be playing the game. It's not every game, but when the game is acting in a way that causes the whole ice tilt belief in the first place is occurring, I can guarantee I'll be uttering "double you tee eff" on an almost constant flow because of the absurdity of what the ai is doing (offline).

    Online, maybe you can answer this. What specific strategy setting causes my ai defensemen to swarm the opponent puck carrier? What makes them take the puck for me while I sit in the slot? I think I need to simply join in the skill zone now, but I haven't found a set of strategies that let's my ai be dominant and useful.

    If there's no mechanic in place to cause the absurdities in this game that we blame on tilt, maybe there's a set of strategies or something in the gameplay settings that bleeds into the wrong modes causing unintended effects? Point is, you're basically stuck on specific words like tilt and because of that, you ignore the actual problems. Swap the word tilt with bug or glitch. Does that make it something worth looking into then? Or is it already something you guys have predetermined to automatically disregard as user error the moment someone mentions the word tilt?

    We're not aware of any bugs that would cause the game to boost one team over the other.
  • jplavoie96 wrote: »
    ...and the Fiesta, the Ecosport, the New Puma, the Focus, the All-New Kuga, and the Mondeo. And the Ford GT.

    Don't know where you live but none of these cars are available in Canada nor in USA.

    I'm in the UK.

    https://www.ford.co.uk/cars
  • Racesunite wrote: »
    jplavoie96 wrote: »
    jplavoie96 wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    I would like to see less icing. But that rule works pretty good.
    jplavoie96 wrote: »
    jplavoie96 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    So today is one of those days where every game is [profanity removed] rigged. I don’t every know why I do this to myself. After winning 17 games in a row I can’t even score a goal. My players have cement blocks on their skates.

    Edit: Removed profanity. Please do not try to circumvent the profanity filter. -CM

    Are you also saying the game is rigged because you won 17 games in a row? Streaks happen in the real world as well. Eventually, they're broken. Just like when you have a streak of losses. The game isn't forcing you to win or lose. The outcome is determined by the inputs from the human holding the controller as well as the overalls of the players on the ice, strategies being used and fatigue.

    That’s exactly what I’m saying. Winning 17 games in a row my team was OP all day long. I even direct messaged my opponents telling telling them such.

    Do you guys understand people like me would spend money on packs if I thought it mattered? I would blow $200-300 a year easily if I thought it gave me an edge.



    Dude, I would spend 200-300$ a month if this game was fair. A friend of mine spent 3,000$ on his HUT Team one year (NHL 19). He got so frustrated after a while that not only he stopped playing the game but he sold his XBOX console to a friend and never played a game of NHL since. Whoever is at the head of marketing at EA Sports should go back to school. The business model doesn’t work.

    Net revenue from EA's Ultimate Team game modes, across all titles:-

    2015: $587 million
    2016: $660 million
    2017: $775 million
    2018: $1.18 billion
    2019: $1.37 billion
    2020: $1.49 billion

    Yeah. The business model clearly doesn't work, because your friend stopped playing NHL after spending crazy money one year.

    Do you have those numbers just for the NHL franchise?

    No, but it doesn't matter, given that the business model that apparently "doesn't work" is the same across NHL Ultimate Team, FIFA Ultimate Team, and Madden Ultimate Team.

    Here's your starter team...here's some rewards that aren't as good as the packs you get in store...here's a promo, buy some packs...here's some rewards that aren't as good as the packs you get in store...here's a promo, buy some packs...and over and over again until the next game comes out.

    Your numbers are probably 90% FIFA + Madden hence, irrelevant. From what I could find, EA NHL revenues have been pretty stable for a while. Also, from what I read on this forum and others, many long-time players, just like me, quit playing the game. How can this be a good business model?

    Not irrelevant in the slightest. The business model is identical across all three games. Even if NHL accounted for $1, the argument would still hold.

    You say the business model doesn't work because your friend went overboard and spent $3k on packs before regretting it and not playing anymore.

    I say the business model works because it makes the business increasing amounts of profit each year. Last year, almost $1.5billion with a 'b.'

    If $1.5b in almost pure profit from releasing basically the same product year after year is a bad business model, I'd love to know what your idea of a good one is.


    I've previously posted the numbers for the first week of sales for the NHL franchise since 2015. From these numbers we can see that the sales drop by 100K units from NHL15 to NHL18. A company looks at the profitability of all its segments and products. For example, Ford is very profitable but its main revenues come from the sales of pickup trucks F150 and SUVs but not so much from cars. That's why they decided to stop making cars with the exception of the Mustang.

    ...and the Fiesta, the Ecosport, the New Puma, the Focus, the All-New Kuga, and the Mondeo. And the Ford GT.

    The simple fact is that NHL makes money for EA. Whether it's 1% of $1.5billion or 10% of $1.5billion, it still makes money. If it accounts for just 1% of that revenue, it will have made $15million. And that's just from Ultimate Team. That isn't including the actual purchase price, or the money made from things such as whatever deal they struck with Microsoft to include EA titles on Game Pass.

    Do you think it costs more than that to put this game out each year? Especially when the game is already built and we're buying the same thing over and over with minor changes? If they had 30 developers working on it at $100,000 each a year - which is likely a massive overestimation in terms of staffing and salaries - they'd still be $12million up before accounting for actual sales.

    Sure, if sales drop so that just two people buy it and neither of them play Ultimate Team, they'll have a problem. But now? Nah.
    jplavoie96 wrote: »
    Many gamers on this Forum and others have been expressing how unsatisfied they are about the NHL franchise for many years now. Not listening to your customers and taking them for granted because you have the monopoly and thinking that there’s no other options (hockey games) for them to play is not a good business model.

    Yeah. And many people have been expressing for years how unsatisfied they are with FIFA. And many gamers expressed how dissatisfied they were with Madden 21. There are countless videos on how terrible and awful both games are.

    Doesn't seem to have hurt EA's bank balance much so far, to be honest.

    Not yet maybe but it will come back and bite them in the ****. Look what happened to NBA Live when 2K came out. 2K made them irrelevant.

    Problem is that 2k have already made several NHL games and have given up on the idea. They still have the opportunity to do so if they so wish, due to the fact that EA's NHL licence is non-exclusive.

    But they don't seem to be all that bothered.
  • jplavoie96 wrote: »
    jplavoie96 wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    So today is one of those days where every game is [profanity removed] rigged. I don’t every know why I do this to myself. After winning 17 games in a row I can’t even score a goal. My players have cement blocks on their skates.

    Edit: Removed profanity. Please do not try to circumvent the profanity filter. -CM

    Are you also saying the game is rigged because you won 17 games in a row? Streaks happen in the real world as well. Eventually, they're broken. Just like when you have a streak of losses. The game isn't forcing you to win or lose. The outcome is determined by the inputs from the human holding the controller as well as the overalls of the players on the ice, strategies being used and fatigue.

    That’s exactly what I’m saying. Winning 17 games in a row my team was OP all day long. I even direct messaged my opponents telling telling them such.

    Do you guys understand people like me would spend money on packs if I thought it mattered? I would blow $200-300 a year easily if I thought it gave me an edge.



    Dude, I would spend 200-300$ a month if this game was fair. A friend of mine spent 3,000$ on his HUT Team one year (NHL 19). He got so frustrated after a while that not only he stopped playing the game but he sold his XBOX console to a friend and never played a game of NHL since. Whoever is at the head of marketing at EA Sports should go back to school. The business model doesn’t work.

    Net revenue from EA's Ultimate Team game modes, across all titles:-

    2015: $587 million
    2016: $660 million
    2017: $775 million
    2018: $1.18 billion
    2019: $1.37 billion
    2020: $1.49 billion

    Yeah. The business model clearly doesn't work, because your friend stopped playing NHL after spending crazy money one year.

    Do you have those numbers just for the NHL franchise?

    No, but it doesn't matter, given that the business model that apparently "doesn't work" is the same across NHL Ultimate Team, FIFA Ultimate Team, and Madden Ultimate Team.

    Here's your starter team...here's some rewards that aren't as good as the packs you get in store...here's a promo, buy some packs...here's some rewards that aren't as good as the packs you get in store...here's a promo, buy some packs...and over and over again until the next game comes out.

    The packs are the exact same as the ones in the store.

    If you're good enough and can get ultimate packs, they're even better.

    What do you mean rewards that aren't as good as in the store?

    I mean that the reward packs for the vast, vast majority of people are not as good as the ones they could buy in the store.

    Sure, if you're an amazing player, you'll pick up Ultimate packs right and left and rightly so. But if you look at a lower level, the rewards are very poor. Better players should get better rewards - I'm not arguing that - but a guy could spend three hours completing the HUT Rush set, then go and pump another six or seven hours into Squad Battles across the space of a week. What rewards is he getting?

    For TEN HOURS of gameplay in a week, is he likely to pick up anything that's even remotely going to make it into his team? Unless he gets EXTREMELY lucky, I'd say not. He'll be lucky if he gets an 86 base Vasilevsky for the 20th time.

    Alternatively, he could spend $40 in the store and grab a couple TOTW packs, a Primetime pack, and one of those big ol' 5-round super-choice packs (that I can't remember the name of) and have a much, much better chance at getting something usable.

    That's what I mean by rewards aren't as good as what you can pick up in the store.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.