EA Forums - Banner

Where are the EA Sports NHL servers located?

Prev13
I am from Edmonton and I feel as though I get destroyed by players in Vancouver. My team skates so slow, passes are awful, shots don't go where they're aimed, hits don't connect, over skate the puck, etc.

I have a cable (coax) modem with a 1Gb down / 300Mbps up connection. Like, am I going to require a fiber modem to stay competitive? 🤦‍♂️

Replies

  • xPDogg65x
    790 posts Member
    edited February 28
    I live in Kelowna and sure noticed a big difference when I switched a couple of years ago from cable(Shaw) to fibre optic (Telus).
    I was talking to a couple of friends while playing the other night and we all agreed that this year seems to be the best year connection wise, in the last few years, at least for us. Playing eashl we all get pings in the high teens to low 20’s with smooth gameplay.
  • For what it's worth, I definitely agreed that this year seems to be the best year connection wise.

    "Like, am I going to require a fiber modem to stay competitive?"

    Wouldn’t be a bad idea. But it all comes down to - how competitive you wanna be. There's always a way to boost your internet set-up, but can cost you alot of money.
  • EA_Aljo
    2632 posts EA Community Manager
    SturmWolfe wrote: »
    I am from Edmonton and I feel as though I get destroyed by players in Vancouver. My team skates so slow, passes are awful, shots don't go where they're aimed, hits don't connect, over skate the puck, etc.

    I have a cable (coax) modem with a 1Gb down / 300Mbps up connection. Like, am I going to require a fiber modem to stay competitive? 🤦‍♂️

    I've seen others from the Edmonton area mention poor connections. The closest server is in the Pacific NW. The distance to the server is most likely causing the higher pings.
  • Sega82mega
    3062 posts Member
    Isn't Edmonton the mecca of hockey...? The people over there deserves to play hockey video games on low ping!


    Don't mess around with the hockey gods!

    😏
  • SturmWolfe wrote: »
    I am from Edmonton and I feel as though I get destroyed by players in Vancouver. My team skates so slow, passes are awful, shots don't go where they're aimed, hits don't connect, over skate the puck, etc.

    I have a cable (coax) modem with a 1Gb down / 300Mbps up connection. Like, am I going to require a fiber modem to stay competitive? 🤦‍♂️

    You'll be connecting to Seattle from Edmonton. That's where I do from Calgary. Vancouver players are far closer so they get a far better connection.

    Alberta and Saskatchewan and the states just south of those provinces deserve their own server so we can enjoy the same connections as those lucky enough to live near EA's chosen ones.
  • yij7xmpy4238.jpg

    I am absolutely sick and tired of this 💩, EA.

    eh3vyhjrvnn2.jpg

    The ping feels more like 80-100 playing people closer to the Seattle server.

    How long are we north west / central players going to continue getting screwed in HUT because of the connection disadvantages?

    I went as far as buying a new controller as well to see if that was the problem. My 95 ovr team with 8 synergies plays like slow 60 ovr BRONZE players when matched up against players who have a better connection!

    What a joke.
  • A multi billion dollar gaming corporation can't spare some extra money to provide better server coverage for their player base. Very disappointing.

    I'm done. Been playing EA NHL since the early 90s. You've lost yourself another player.

    Bye. 🤡
  • EA_Aljo
    2632 posts EA Community Manager
    @SturmWolfe What exactly is the issue with your screenshots? Are you saying that even though the connection meter shows a low ping, you lost by 9 goals so it must be connection-related?
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    @SturmWolfe What exactly is the issue with your screenshots? Are you saying that even though the connection meter shows a low ping, you lost by 9 goals so it must be connection-related?

    The connection felt nothing like low ping. Everything in these types of games feels drastically delayed compared to my opponent.

    Didn't matter how much I tried to cycle or deke. My opponent's defenders were on me instantly. Takes much longer than "40ms" to perform a pass or shot when my opponent is already on me.

    As for my own defenders? They skate away from the play. When my opponent comes down the ice on the breakout. My defenders are skating to the middle of my blueline. Then I have zero time to switch to get them back in proper position.

    I am using my center to backcheck.

    I am not constantly switching back and forth unless they're out of position.

    You may have not experienced the input lag to test for yourself but I and many others know there is a big difference. It's definitely not low ping. It's been a problem for the last two years.

    I used to be division 1 and get at least 8-10 wins in HUT champs. Now I am lucky to get to stay in div 3 and get maybe 4-5 wins in HUT champs.

    I replaced my controller, my internet modem / router (my isp did a thorough check), my ethernet connections, coax cabling, and went as far to upgrade my internet from 300Mbps down / 30Mbps up to 1Gb down / 300Mbps up.

    I have ZERO issues playing online with any other games other than EA NHL.
  • j0rtsu67
    604 posts Member
    edited March 17
    @SturmWolfe I feel for you. But I also have a crazy idea and it is very much possible it fails out...

    If you have a smart phone with 4g data connection, you could try to make your phone as a hotspot. Then connect your console with WiFi to it.

    Test if you can get connected to EA servers in NHL. If you can, try to play an online game. It may be a total disaster but it also can be an opposite...

    The reason I'm saying this is because I have had quite bad experience when playing against someone using 4g. And when I've messaged to them, they say they had zero problems... Go figure.

    Idk if there is some kind of lag compensation or smthn in this game but because there has been so many comments where people have the best internet available and still have problems it makes me wonder. And maybe you have "too good" connection and get punished...? >:)
  • j0rtsu67 wrote: »
    @SturmWolfe I feel for you. But I also have a crazy idea and it is very much possible it fails out...

    If you have a smart phone with 4g data connection, you could try to make your phone as a hotspot. Then connect your console with WiFi to it.

    Test if you can get connected to EA servers in NHL. If you can, try to play an online game. It may be a total disaster but it also can be an opposite...

    The reason I'm saying this is because I have had quite bad experience when playing against someone using 4g. And when I've messaged to them, they say they had zero problems... Go figure.

    Idk if there is some kind of lag compensation or smthn in this game but because there has been so many comments where people have the best internet available and still have problems it makes me wonder. And maybe you have "too good" connection and get punished...? >:)

    This is actually true, The mobile connection can introduce traditional lag for you though but the Fatman Lag disappears. I have a good connection with a constant 4-5ms ping to the game server and when i have Fatman Lag it is almost always against opponents with a bad connection.
  • EA_Aljo
    2632 posts EA Community Manager
    SturmWolfe wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    @SturmWolfe What exactly is the issue with your screenshots? Are you saying that even though the connection meter shows a low ping, you lost by 9 goals so it must be connection-related?

    The connection felt nothing like low ping. Everything in these types of games feels drastically delayed compared to my opponent.

    Didn't matter how much I tried to cycle or deke. My opponent's defenders were on me instantly. Takes much longer than "40ms" to perform a pass or shot when my opponent is already on me.

    As for my own defenders? They skate away from the play. When my opponent comes down the ice on the breakout. My defenders are skating to the middle of my blueline. Then I have zero time to switch to get them back in proper position.

    I am using my center to backcheck.

    I am not constantly switching back and forth unless they're out of position.

    You may have not experienced the input lag to test for yourself but I and many others know there is a big difference. It's definitely not low ping. It's been a problem for the last two years.

    I used to be division 1 and get at least 8-10 wins in HUT champs. Now I am lucky to get to stay in div 3 and get maybe 4-5 wins in HUT champs.

    I replaced my controller, my internet modem / router (my isp did a thorough check), my ethernet connections, coax cabling, and went as far to upgrade my internet from 300Mbps down / 30Mbps up to 1Gb down / 300Mbps up.

    I have ZERO issues playing online with any other games other than EA NHL.

    I don't think you can really tell how your opponent is feeling when they play. Unless you're playing yourself and somehow controlling both teams at the same time. Regardless, I get that it feels like you're slower than them, but there are many contributing factors to this. Namely, the differences in how the 2 of you are playing.

    Just because you were in D 1 in previous games, that doesn't mean you always will be. Contrary to popular belief, the game is not copied and pasted each year. There are changes that some aren't going to evolve with.

    I personally switch players a ton. That could be part of why I don't feel the lag you're talking about. I'm not pulling my players out of position, which can add to fatigue if they're skating out of position to cover for another player that's out of position. I keep my players where they're supposed to be as much as I can. I also cover the puck with my goalie as passing it out just adds to fatigue which lowers their ratings. Passing the puck out keeps the game going. I get that. Most people's desire for constant action outweighs the patience of waiting 20 seconds to get fresh legs on the ice when covering the puck. That's fine, but you're at a disadvantage as there is a huge risk with your opponent intercepting the pass and scoring as well as trying to break out with highly fatigued players. Especially if it's towards the end of the period.

    People don't quite realize the effect fatigue has on players. If your top 2 lines are in the red while your opponent's are in yellow or even green because they're manually changing lines, all of your player's ratings are reduced. Those 90+ ratings are all dropping because many lack the patience of covering and getting fresher legs on the ice.
  • How does people set up there connection?

    Upnp on/off

    Or just dmz? Or both dmz and upnp on... Or just upnp off and leave everything else beside....

    Port-forward?

    Anyone that found out the perfect combination?

    I read so many diffrent stuff it just makes me more confussed.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    How does people set up there connection?

    Upnp on/off

    Or just dmz? Or both dmz and upnp on... Or just upnp off and leave everything else beside....

    Port-forward?

    Anyone that found out the perfect combination?

    I read so many diffrent stuff it just makes me more confussed.

    Port forwarding is ideal. As it tells your modem which specific ports to allow traffic. Using DMZ cancels out port forwarding. Only do one or the other.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    SturmWolfe wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    @SturmWolfe What exactly is the issue with your screenshots? Are you saying that even though the connection meter shows a low ping, you lost by 9 goals so it must be connection-related?

    The connection felt nothing like low ping. Everything in these types of games feels drastically delayed compared to my opponent.

    Didn't matter how much I tried to cycle or deke. My opponent's defenders were on me instantly. Takes much longer than "40ms" to perform a pass or shot when my opponent is already on me.

    As for my own defenders? They skate away from the play. When my opponent comes down the ice on the breakout. My defenders are skating to the middle of my blueline. Then I have zero time to switch to get them back in proper position.

    I am using my center to backcheck.

    I am not constantly switching back and forth unless they're out of position.

    You may have not experienced the input lag to test for yourself but I and many others know there is a big difference. It's definitely not low ping. It's been a problem for the last two years.

    I used to be division 1 and get at least 8-10 wins in HUT champs. Now I am lucky to get to stay in div 3 and get maybe 4-5 wins in HUT champs.

    I replaced my controller, my internet modem / router (my isp did a thorough check), my ethernet connections, coax cabling, and went as far to upgrade my internet from 300Mbps down / 30Mbps up to 1Gb down / 300Mbps up.

    I have ZERO issues playing online with any other games other than EA NHL.

    I don't think you can really tell how your opponent is feeling when they play. Unless you're playing yourself and somehow controlling both teams at the same time. Regardless, I get that it feels like you're slower than them, but there are many contributing factors to this. Namely, the differences in how the 2 of you are playing.

    Just because you were in D 1 in previous games, that doesn't mean you always will be. Contrary to popular belief, the game is not copied and pasted each year. There are changes that some aren't going to evolve with.

    I personally switch players a ton. That could be part of why I don't feel the lag you're talking about. I'm not pulling my players out of position, which can add to fatigue if they're skating out of position to cover for another player that's out of position. I keep my players where they're supposed to be as much as I can. I also cover the puck with my goalie as passing it out just adds to fatigue which lowers their ratings. Passing the puck out keeps the game going. I get that. Most people's desire for constant action outweighs the patience of waiting 20 seconds to get fresh legs on the ice when covering the puck. That's fine, but you're at a disadvantage as there is a huge risk with your opponent intercepting the pass and scoring as well as trying to break out with highly fatigued players. Especially if it's towards the end of the period.

    People don't quite realize the effect fatigue has on players. If your top 2 lines are in the red while your opponent's are in yellow or even green because they're manually changing lines, all of your player's ratings are reduced. Those 90+ ratings are all dropping because many lack the patience of covering and getting fresher legs on the ice.

    So, if you do change your lines regularly and keep them in the green as much as you can, how do you explain players still acting like they are 50-rated across the board EVEN with a full green bar of energy? There must be something else going on in the game other than fatigue wouldn't you say?
  • EA_Aljo
    2632 posts EA Community Manager
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    SturmWolfe wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    @SturmWolfe What exactly is the issue with your screenshots? Are you saying that even though the connection meter shows a low ping, you lost by 9 goals so it must be connection-related?

    The connection felt nothing like low ping. Everything in these types of games feels drastically delayed compared to my opponent.

    Didn't matter how much I tried to cycle or deke. My opponent's defenders were on me instantly. Takes much longer than "40ms" to perform a pass or shot when my opponent is already on me.

    As for my own defenders? They skate away from the play. When my opponent comes down the ice on the breakout. My defenders are skating to the middle of my blueline. Then I have zero time to switch to get them back in proper position.

    I am using my center to backcheck.

    I am not constantly switching back and forth unless they're out of position.

    You may have not experienced the input lag to test for yourself but I and many others know there is a big difference. It's definitely not low ping. It's been a problem for the last two years.

    I used to be division 1 and get at least 8-10 wins in HUT champs. Now I am lucky to get to stay in div 3 and get maybe 4-5 wins in HUT champs.

    I replaced my controller, my internet modem / router (my isp did a thorough check), my ethernet connections, coax cabling, and went as far to upgrade my internet from 300Mbps down / 30Mbps up to 1Gb down / 300Mbps up.

    I have ZERO issues playing online with any other games other than EA NHL.

    I don't think you can really tell how your opponent is feeling when they play. Unless you're playing yourself and somehow controlling both teams at the same time. Regardless, I get that it feels like you're slower than them, but there are many contributing factors to this. Namely, the differences in how the 2 of you are playing.

    Just because you were in D 1 in previous games, that doesn't mean you always will be. Contrary to popular belief, the game is not copied and pasted each year. There are changes that some aren't going to evolve with.

    I personally switch players a ton. That could be part of why I don't feel the lag you're talking about. I'm not pulling my players out of position, which can add to fatigue if they're skating out of position to cover for another player that's out of position. I keep my players where they're supposed to be as much as I can. I also cover the puck with my goalie as passing it out just adds to fatigue which lowers their ratings. Passing the puck out keeps the game going. I get that. Most people's desire for constant action outweighs the patience of waiting 20 seconds to get fresh legs on the ice when covering the puck. That's fine, but you're at a disadvantage as there is a huge risk with your opponent intercepting the pass and scoring as well as trying to break out with highly fatigued players. Especially if it's towards the end of the period.

    People don't quite realize the effect fatigue has on players. If your top 2 lines are in the red while your opponent's are in yellow or even green because they're manually changing lines, all of your player's ratings are reduced. Those 90+ ratings are all dropping because many lack the patience of covering and getting fresher legs on the ice.

    So, if you do change your lines regularly and keep them in the green as much as you can, how do you explain players still acting like they are 50-rated across the board EVEN with a full green bar of energy? There must be something else going on in the game other than fatigue wouldn't you say?

    We haven't seen any evidence of this happening. When we get some good video or experience it ourselves, it can then be investigated further.
  • SturmWolfe wrote: »
    yij7xmpy4238.jpg

    I am absolutely sick and tired of this 💩, EA.

    eh3vyhjrvnn2.jpg

    The ping feels more like 80-100 playing people closer to the Seattle server.

    How long are we north west / central players going to continue getting screwed in HUT because of the connection disadvantages?

    I went as far as buying a new controller as well to see if that was the problem. My 95 ovr team with 8 synergies plays like slow 60 ovr BRONZE players when matched up against players who have a better connection!

    What a joke.

    That connection line should be flat. Looks like you have a lot of jitter which is probably causing your issue.
  • monz
    930 posts Member
    Thats what mine looks like all the time and i have no issues.
  • Ping limit to 30 and I am constantly getting connected to 60ms+ games now. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
  • 0zf8mr8luf21.jpg

    Sick and tired of this.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!