EA Forums - Banner

NHL 21 Patch Notes (1.5.0)

Replies

  • Greyinsi
    130 posts Member
    Great ”patch”, now I cant play OVP. Constant Unable to retrieve data...
  • xPDogg65x
    827 posts Member
    edited March 4
    This patch really feels like a slap in the face tbh. Games been out since October of last year and literally the same C++ errors exist. Got an error yesterday in an LGCHL game, and now we are dealing with a current lobby issue where we have had to reset the lobbies numerous times, because we couldn't ready up. Servers are still terrible as I'm West playing on Eastern servers getting 65-85 ping. It's not my internet either as everyone is dealing with this. Happens vice versa for the guys on Eastern servers who play on West servers. NHL 21 is the only game I have seen this issue. Was never a problem in previous games.

    Now lets talk about the general gameplay, it is for the most part unrealistic. Unsure why we are told it's difficult to make it realistic when many other EA games before had it almost to a point where it was. Back when we had the option to play an indoor drop-in game with jersey selection, and that was taken out because they wanted it to be more " casual" At least give us an option to play indoors and select the jersey's...

    Also pucks should not be going through the sticks, and the sticks shouldn't be going through bodies like they are. Another C++ error that can easily be fixed with the proper work ethic to commit to these problems. A 82 overall forward or defense should not be able to score against an 94 or higher goaltender so easily. I was up 5-0 yesterday in a game with someone who had pretty much an 85 overall team compared to my 90. In the 2nd and 3rd, my guys were slow on full energy and he got 3 cross crease goals and 2 short side. I had 3 guys defending, was using human switching between human controlling, although the response took 2 milliseconds which became damaging. His goalie was a 67 overall. In those periods he stopped everything including short side, and my 94 Lundqvist with all synergies active for his card couldn't stop anything.

    I tried defending at the blueline to drive him wide so he had less of a chance to get any shots on net. Although he just back skated then spun around to lure me into a trip when at first I was man to man with my stick towards the puck... I lost -13 SR for that loss. Was lucky it was the only game I lost after winning 5. Matchmaking is also broken as I played a D1 player and beat him 4-1, although his cards were all 96-99. He got screwed over like myself in the game I just mentioned.

    So problems that weren't much of a pain in previous games, so why is it now? We as a community are voicing our opinions and it feels we are so far into this cluster of a game that we are being ignored...

    Sorry for the rant! I'm just upset this was the patch we got as it fixes absolutely nothing meaningful. We haven't seen a gameplay fix in months!

    Having high pings when playing on east servers when your in the west or in the east playing on the west servers has been a problem since online NHL started, it’s nothing new this year, actually everyone I have spoken to about it agree this is the best year connection wise ever, not saying it’s great but better than all previous years.

    Synergies do not affect the goalies at all.

    You also state you played a div 1 player with all 96-99 cards, there are currently no cards above a 95.

    People might pay some attention to what you are saying if you knew what you are complaining about but your entire post screams of nothing but confirmation bias.
    Post edited by xPDogg65x on
  • this patch is so huge and impressive.😳. will we ever see the net animations again....
  • Sega82mega
    3794 posts Member
    kyl_35 wrote: »
    Historically the games have been getting patched up to version 1.6X.

    If you look at NHL 20 version 1.50 was released in late January, and had gameplay fixes. Version 1.51 came in March and was similar to this patch. Finally version 1.60 came out in April and had gameplay fixes in it.

    While I understand that most focus shifts to the new version leading up to the new release, they have historically provided game play fixes into April.

    For the Franchise bugs, however, even fixing them in April will be too little too late. They better be lowering the price of NHL 22 considerably.

    If you think about it, whats the chances of a successful patch that people will accept?

    I can only judge by the way it's been before and thoose times nothing change. Same dissatisfaction.

    And also 5-6 diffrent patches we all had to adjust to, is not good neither. . Might not be that notable, but there is a difference and you will have to adjust, cause otherwise you will only get more upset, cause the game ain't responding in the same way it use to.

    Even if you like 21 or not, with the few updates we got, at least we get a decent chance to play with the same settings for a longer while and not play 6 diffrent hockey games in one year.

    Too many patches aint a good sign.

    (but I do hope for one more)
  • > @Sega82mega said:
    > If you think about it, whats the chances of a successful patch that people will accept?
    >
    > I can only judge by the way it's been before and thoose times nothing change. Same dissatisfaction.
    >
    > And also 5-6 diffrent patches we all had to adjust to, is not good neither. . Might not be that notable, but there is a difference and you will have to adjust, cause otherwise you will only get more upset, cause the game ain't responding in the same way it use to.
    >
    > Even if you like 21 or not, with the few updates we got, at least we get a decent chance to play with the same settings for a longer while and not play 6 diffrent hockey games in one year.
    >
    > Too many patches aint a good sign.
    >
    > (but I do hope for one more)

    too many patches means they are fixing their bugs.

    not enough patches means they aren't fixing their bugs

    franchise mode and be a pro are both unplayable in their current state.
    the bugs that are hindering those game modes are numerous, and they've received nearly no support from EA whatsoever.

    the offline players paid $80 for this game, and we were ditched once EA got our money. they took it and ran, and left us with a broken game

    from all your posts, you usually seem to care more about the gameplay and the tuners - thats fine, and i have no issue with that.

    but the actual on-ice gameplay is only a fraction of franchise and bap. the prospect development bug, the trade value being completely bonkers, the coaching, the chemistry, etc etc its all so poorly done and bugged out that we can't enjoy the game mode we buy the game for. and now they just buggered off with our money, and they expect us to buy the next game, because they said that they will wait til the next game to fix bugs like that. which is sad and pathetic and it hurts their offline player base
  • Jagavekov wrote: »
    One can only assume the lack of real, actual changes is due to the development team focused on the transition to Frostbite for next gen.

    This shouldn't be considered a 'patch' when nothing is really being patched. It's basically a content update.

    I get that there won't be a big gameplay update through a patch at this point. But there is obviously a huge need for online gameplay balancing that can be done through a tuner. Isn't that the reason we were told tuners were a thing, to address balance issues quickly due to not needing to go through as extensive of a process as a patch?

    Exactly! Just look at the opinions from the top players who have been talking about issues for so long in NHL 21. Private lobbies are still bugging out for League Gaming stuff. We had to reset 4 lobbies yesterday...
  • Jagavekov wrote: »
    there is obviously a huge need for online gameplay balancing that can be done through a tuner. Isn't that the reason we were told tuners were a thing, to address balance issues quickly due to not needing to go through as extensive of a process as a patch?

    What balance issues?

    There's an obvious flaw in passing logic that allows players to execute successful no look passes behind their back.

    other than that.. what else needs to be 'balanced'?

    The prevelence of the cross crease correlates deeply with how the player-base is adjusting to becoming active defenders rather than passive ones. To me, this isn't a balance issue.
  • Sega82mega
    3794 posts Member
    > @Sega82mega said:
    > If you think about it, whats the chances of a successful patch that people will accept?
    >
    > I can only judge by the way it's been before and thoose times nothing change. Same dissatisfaction.
    >
    > And also 5-6 diffrent patches we all had to adjust to, is not good neither. . Might not be that notable, but there is a difference and you will have to adjust, cause otherwise you will only get more upset, cause the game ain't responding in the same way it use to.
    >
    > Even if you like 21 or not, with the few updates we got, at least we get a decent chance to play with the same settings for a longer while and not play 6 diffrent hockey games in one year.
    >
    > Too many patches aint a good sign.
    >
    > (but I do hope for one more)

    too many patches means they are fixing their bugs.

    not enough patches means they aren't fixing their bugs

    franchise mode and be a pro are both unplayable in their current state.
    the bugs that are hindering those game modes are numerous, and they've received nearly no support from EA whatsoever.

    the offline players paid $80 for this game, and we were ditched once EA got our money. they took it and ran, and left us with a broken game

    from all your posts, you usually seem to care more about the gameplay and the tuners - thats fine, and i have no issue with that.

    but the actual on-ice gameplay is only a fraction of franchise and bap. the prospect development bug, the trade value being completely bonkers, the coaching, the chemistry, etc etc its all so poorly done and bugged out that we can't enjoy the game mode we buy the game for. and now they just buggered off with our money, and they expect us to buy the next game, because they said that they will wait til the next game to fix bugs like that. which is sad and pathetic and it hurts their offline player base

    Yeah sorry about that. I really do feel for all you offline players and this type of fixes should have been corrected, no doubt.

    And yes you are right, im strictly talking gameplay changes, should have mention that.
  • kyl_35
    149 posts Member
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    kyl_35 wrote: »
    Historically the games have been getting patched up to version 1.6X.

    If you look at NHL 20 version 1.50 was released in late January, and had gameplay fixes. Version 1.51 came in March and was similar to this patch. Finally version 1.60 came out in April and had gameplay fixes in it.

    While I understand that most focus shifts to the new version leading up to the new release, they have historically provided game play fixes into April.

    For the Franchise bugs, however, even fixing them in April will be too little too late. They better be lowering the price of NHL 22 considerably.

    If you think about it, whats the chances of a successful patch that people will accept?

    I can only judge by the way it's been before and thoose times nothing change. Same dissatisfaction.

    And also 5-6 diffrent patches we all had to adjust to, is not good neither. . Might not be that notable, but there is a difference and you will have to adjust, cause otherwise you will only get more upset, cause the game ain't responding in the same way it use to.

    Even if you like 21 or not, with the few updates we got, at least we get a decent chance to play with the same settings for a longer while and not play 6 diffrent hockey games in one year.

    Too many patches aint a good sign.

    (but I do hope for one more)

    Guy, you like playing online and ****. I would agree the on-ice product isn’t as bad as many say.

    If you like Franchise Mode, and are like me where the only part of the game you care about is Franchise Mode, then the game is utterly unplayable in its current state.

    The whole point of the game is to build your rosters, but none of your prospects ever progress.

    They might as well have just removed Franchise Mode entirely
  • Sega82mega
    3794 posts Member
    Yeah again. Sorry you all Franchise guys, didn't mean to jump on you guys.

    Totally understandable, your anger.
  • Jagavekov wrote: »
    there is obviously a huge need for online gameplay balancing that can be done through a tuner. Isn't that the reason we were told tuners were a thing, to address balance issues quickly due to not needing to go through as extensive of a process as a patch?

    What balance issues?

    There's an obvious flaw in passing logic that allows players to execute successful no look passes behind their back.

    other than that.. what else needs to be 'balanced'?

    The prevelence of the cross crease correlates deeply with how the player-base is adjusting to becoming active defenders rather than passive ones. To me, this isn't a balance issue.

    The goal is to somewhat represent nhl hockey right? In the NHL, if there is a defender (or two or three) in a passing lane, the pass often does not get through. The only time this is not the case is if the defender doesn't have the reaction time to make a play on the pass but the recipient does. In this game right now, that is not the case. Passes go through multiple players who should have the reaction time to intercept the pass, only to get one-timed by a forward.

    You and EA can say the ineptitude of defenders to intercept passes is to promote "active defense" and increase the "skill gap", which is fine, but that is not hockey. This game is never going to be counterstrike or Starcraft 2 or Fortnite, so I'm not sure why they cater so much the competitive streamers at the expense of making a game that resembles hockey. Harassing the passer and tying up sticks is fine, and are both hockey plays, but so should be standing directly in a passing lane with a defender (or three).

    And the amount of figure skating and skating backwards with the puck should also be greatly reduced, with appropriate penalties to puck control, passing, shooting, and balance when skating backwards or going into/coming out of skating backwards with the puck.
  • Just a few jerseys? No new equipment? No Bauer vapor pads fix? No Bauer Hyperlite, True Lefevre, CCM Eflex 5? :/
  • Jagavekov wrote: »
    there is obviously a huge need for online gameplay balancing that can be done through a tuner. Isn't that the reason we were told tuners were a thing, to address balance issues quickly due to not needing to go through as extensive of a process as a patch?

    What balance issues?

    There's an obvious flaw in passing logic that allows players to execute successful no look passes behind their back.

    other than that.. what else needs to be 'balanced'?

    The prevelence of the cross crease correlates deeply with how the player-base is adjusting to becoming active defenders rather than passive ones. To me, this isn't a balance issue.

    You're honestly delusional if you think this game has no issues. It needs a major gameplay update which we won't get because "oh just wait until 22 we'll have everything fixed.

    And Kid, before you say give me examples......
    .... Just go read the overwhelming amount of posts about the issues with this game from online to offline modes, this is a broken game made by a company with a history of not caring about their customers.
  • > @Jagavekov said:
    > The goal is to somewhat represent nhl hockey right? In the NHL, if there is a defender (or two or three) in a passing lane, the pass often does not get through. The only time this is not the case is if the defender doesn't have the reaction time to make a play on the pass but the recipient does. In this game right now, that is not the case. Passes go through multiple players who should have the reaction time to intercept the pass, only to get one-timed by a forward.
    >
    > You and EA can say the ineptitude of defenders to intercept passes is to promote "active defense" and increase the "skill gap", which is fine, but that is not hockey. This game is never going to be counterstrike or Starcraft 2 or Fortnite, so I'm not sure why they cater so much the competitive streamers at the expense of making a game that resembles hockey. Harassing the passer and tying up sticks is fine, and are both hockey plays, but so should be standing directly in a passing lane with a defender (or three).
    >
    > And the amount of figure skating and skating backwards with the puck should also be greatly reduced, with appropriate penalties to puck control, passing, shooting, and balance when skating backwards or going into/coming out of skating backwards with the puck.

    The thing is that harassing the pass recipient puts you (and your team) at more of a risk than the guy waiting for the pass, because EA can't figure out simple hockey plays. Nudging or "rubbing" a player off when a pass is coming often results in you getting a call for interference. That's all cool in 6s clubs, not so great in drop-ins 6s and just plain terrible during 3s where infractions = penalty shots (I'd like to meet the genius who thought of that).

    Just another example of a hockey play being punished. Yet forcing a pass, around your back, tape-to-tape through 2 players and the goalie is rewarded. Mashing poke check while flying all over the place and not even looking at the puck carrier but causing puck disruption is rewarded. I can do fairly well as a d-man, but my teammates often are a liability. Because the game never puts into perspective what it is that should be encouraged and what shouldn't be.

    Instead it's just, do what you want, how you want, when you want, because you want. The equivalent closing your eyes and throwing a dart. Maybe you hit the board. Or maybe you hit the wall. Or maybe you hit a person. Either way, you have no control over the outcome. Just do it and pray.

    Doesn't seem very balanced to me.
  • ColtonDach
    1 posts New member
    > @EA_Blueberry said:
    > Hey, NHL Community.
    >
    > Here are the patch notes for the March 4th update.

    Being a player for this team (Saskatoon Blades) I find it extremely noticeable that you have clearly messed up our uniforms yet again, take a look at our number colour and take notice that it's wrong again.

    Find it funny that it's been mentioned numerous times and still needs to be fixed.

    As since I'm writing this message my brother and I (Kirby) laugh at how you guys managed to scan him into the game and have him not look like himself, congratulations EA on having the correct tools for the job but still managing to not know how to use them to their full potential.
  • Follisimo
    1181 posts Member
    Jagavekov wrote: »
    Jagavekov wrote: »
    there is obviously a huge need for online gameplay balancing that can be done through a tuner. Isn't that the reason we were told tuners were a thing, to address balance issues quickly due to not needing to go through as extensive of a process as a patch?

    What balance issues?

    There's an obvious flaw in passing logic that allows players to execute successful no look passes behind their back.

    other than that.. what else needs to be 'balanced'?

    The prevelence of the cross crease correlates deeply with how the player-base is adjusting to becoming active defenders rather than passive ones. To me, this isn't a balance issue.

    The goal is to somewhat represent nhl hockey right? In the NHL, if there is a defender (or two or three) in a passing lane, the pass often does not get through. The only time this is not the case is if the defender doesn't have the reaction time to make a play on the pass but the recipient does. In this game right now, that is not the case. Passes go through multiple players who should have the reaction time to intercept the pass, only to get one-timed by a forward.

    You and EA can say the ineptitude of defenders to intercept passes is to promote "active defense" and increase the "skill gap", which is fine, but that is not hockey. This game is never going to be counterstrike or Starcraft 2 or Fortnite, so I'm not sure why they cater so much the competitive streamers at the expense of making a game that resembles hockey. Harassing the passer and tying up sticks is fine, and are both hockey plays, but so should be standing directly in a passing lane with a defender (or three).

    And the amount of figure skating and skating backwards with the puck should also be greatly reduced, with appropriate penalties to puck control, passing, shooting, and balance when skating backwards or going into/coming out of skating backwards with the puck.

    Way back in like 09 on the old forums it was said the game is meant to have basic realism with some arcade in it. When you try to play the game like a supposed real hockey game you're gonna have a bad time. Overall I'd say the game is 80% realism with 20% sprinkled in arcade(average user excitement)

    Way back when they did player tests and such people complained pro was too tough. So semi-pro got brought into the game.

    I personally have zero problems with the way the game is now. I play with what is given and work with that. I'm a 6s player

  • kyl_35
    149 posts Member
    ColtonDach wrote: »
    > @EA_Blueberry said:
    > Hey, NHL Community.
    >
    > Here are the patch notes for the March 4th update.

    Being a player for this team (Saskatoon Blades) I find it extremely noticeable that you have clearly messed up our uniforms yet again, take a look at our number colour and take notice that it's wrong again.

    Find it funny that it's been mentioned numerous times and still needs to be fixed.

    As since I'm writing this message my brother and I (Kirby) laugh at how you guys managed to scan him into the game and have him not look like himself, congratulations EA on having the correct tools for the job but still managing to not know how to use them to their full potential.

    Haha, now your overall and potential rating are gonna get dropped in the next roster update.
  • kyl_35 wrote: »
    ColtonDach wrote: »
    > @EA_Blueberry said:
    > Hey, NHL Community.
    >
    > Here are the patch notes for the March 4th update.

    Being a player for this team (Saskatoon Blades) I find it extremely noticeable that you have clearly messed up our uniforms yet again, take a look at our number colour and take notice that it's wrong again.

    Find it funny that it's been mentioned numerous times and still needs to be fixed.

    As since I'm writing this message my brother and I (Kirby) laugh at how you guys managed to scan him into the game and have him not look like himself, congratulations EA on having the correct tools for the job but still managing to not know how to use them to their full potential.

    Haha, now your overall and potential rating are gonna get dropped in the next roster update.

    LOL this comment he made on this forum post made my night lmao
  • Sega82mega
    3794 posts Member
    Don't bealive everything that happen on the internet... 🙃
  • Sega82mega
    3794 posts Member
    edited March 5
    Follisimo wrote: »
    Jagavekov wrote: »
    Jagavekov wrote: »
    there is obviously a huge need for online gameplay balancing that can be done through a tuner. Isn't that the reason we were told tuners were a thing, to address balance issues quickly due to not needing to go through as extensive of a process as a patch?

    What balance issues?

    There's an obvious flaw in passing logic that allows players to execute successful no look passes behind their back.

    other than that.. what else needs to be 'balanced'?

    The prevelence of the cross crease correlates deeply with how the player-base is adjusting to becoming active defenders rather than passive ones. To me, this isn't a balance issue.

    The goal is to somewhat represent nhl hockey right? In the NHL, if there is a defender (or two or three) in a passing lane, the pass often does not get through. The only time this is not the case is if the defender doesn't have the reaction time to make a play on the pass but the recipient does. In this game right now, that is not the case. Passes go through multiple players who should have the reaction time to intercept the pass, only to get one-timed by a forward.

    You and EA can say the ineptitude of defenders to intercept passes is to promote "active defense" and increase the "skill gap", which is fine, but that is not hockey. This game is never going to be counterstrike or Starcraft 2 or Fortnite, so I'm not sure why they cater so much the competitive streamers at the expense of making a game that resembles hockey. Harassing the passer and tying up sticks is fine, and are both hockey plays, but so should be standing directly in a passing lane with a defender (or three).

    And the amount of figure skating and skating backwards with the puck should also be greatly reduced, with appropriate penalties to puck control, passing, shooting, and balance when skating backwards or going into/coming out of skating backwards with the puck.

    Way back in like 09 on the old forums it was said the game is meant to have basic realism with some arcade in it. When you try to play the game like a supposed real hockey game you're gonna have a bad time. Overall I'd say the game is 80% realism with 20% sprinkled in arcade(average user excitement)

    I was thinking about that. Realism to the game.

    I came to the conclusion it's hard to do a realistic game if not the technology is there, all though I've heard 2K has made some pretty close realistic games.

    But one thing I doubt about that, is the skating technology, that one thing has always felt pretty simpel/basic/unreal, were you just have to push the D-pad in the direaction you wanna go without having to think too much, but with the 'new way' of skating in this serie, it's never felt as alive as now, like you really are on the ice, skating, but also, pretty problematic to get it right, with everything else thats belong to a hockey rink.

    The puck physics must be the hardest part to get to match with the rest. We'll, body physics too...

    But today when we actually with both the quality of the picture and the quality with the technology can make kinda realistic stuff, I think the 'need' of wanting a realistic experience when we play video games will only grow bigger.

    Just look at the virtual reality, thats gotta be the future, in some way.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!