EA Forums - Banner

Are there really too many tripping penalties?

A Reddit user went through all penalties issued in the last 10 years in the NHL and it appears EA might actually be on the right track

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/m2h7ew/i_pulled_all_105639_penalties_called_in_the_nhl/

qkcxulF.png

Replies

• Haha oh my. Crazy dude.

And the way we swing our stick I wouldn’t mind even more tripping calls.

But best would be if thoose that repeating poke checks could loose more speed/track to the puck carrier, if there not even close the puck with there poke.
  • IceLion68
    1376 posts Member
    That could easily be inferred to mean that EA is "manufacturing penalties", which is - I am pretty sure - not what you *mean* to say...

So what DO you mean when you say EA might be on the right track?
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    That could easily be inferred to mean that EA is "manufacturing penalties", which is - I am pretty sure - not what you *mean* to say...

I'm not implying EA is "manufacturing penalties" whatsoever.

I'm saying that the engine they've built - one that penalizes players for incorrectly using a mechanic like poke check - is resulting in a realistic number of penalties despite claims that there are "too many tripping calls".
  • IceLion68
    1376 posts Member
    edited March 11
    IceLion68 wrote: »

I'm not implying EA is "manufacturing penalties" whatsoever.

I'm saying that the engine they've built - one that penalizes players for incorrectly using a mechanic like poke check - is resulting in a realistic number of penalties despite claims that there are "too many tripping calls".

I was pretty sure you werent (and said as much), but I was confused, I wasnt sure what you WERE saying LOL.

Thanks for the clarification
  • j0rtsu67
    619 posts Member
    edited March 11
    Based on that chart the percentage of tripping penalties in NHL is ~14% so 1 out of 7-8 is tripping.

I obviously don't have anything to support my numbers so pure speculation, but if I say the ratio in this game is more like 1 out of 2 or 3 (33%-50%) I don't think it is too far from the truth. Edit: corrected bolded percentages, were way off... :#

So they are on the right track as tripping is the most common penalty but the difference is still huge.

Is it because the game gives those tripping penalties too easily or are players too reckless with poking ? I'd say 25% for first 75% for latter. Again pure speculation! :D
    Post edited by j0rtsu67 on
  • Sega82mega
    3507 posts Member
    edited March 11
    j0rtsu67 wrote: »
    Based on that chart the percentage of tripping penalties in NHL is ~14% so 1 out of 7-8 is tripping.

I obviously don't have anything to support my numbers so pure speculation, but if I say the ratio in this game is more like 1 out of 2 or 3 (25%-33%) I don't think it is too far from the truth.

So they are on the right track as tripping is the most common penalty but the difference is still huge.

Is it because the game gives those tripping penalties too easily or are players too reckless with poking ? I'd say 25% for first 75% for latter. Again pure speculation! :D

Nice calculated! You are a genius 😊👍

And I dont even think you have to speculate, people - Are - reckless, how else to explain tripping calls with 1 second left of the period and the puck is in your own corner and the opponent is obvious behind you but still tripp you... 🙄

Just to name one....
  • j0rtsu67 wrote: »

I obviously don't have anything to support my numbers so pure speculation, but if I say the ratio in this game is more like 1 out of 2 or 3 (33%-50%) I don't think it is too far from the truth. Edit: corrected bolded percentages, were way off... :#

Its very much that people are reckless and often fairly dumb. I'm a poke machine (just 1 at a time) and I can go several games without a trip. Meanwhile you watch little Billy join a game and poke from behind for a trip a handful of times in a single game before he quits (maybe teamplay boot) before the 2nd intermission.
  • TTZ_Dipsy
    490 posts Member
    edited March 12
    Last year I hated the new system at first and quickly grew to love it - don't be a doofus and you won't trip someone...

Sure, there are still trips (or non-trips) that make me roll my eyes, but more often than not I'm ok with what's given.

I played an online VS match yesterday and there were 0 penalties. Literally and truly 0, wow right? Normally there would be like 30 trips so it seems like people are getting the message.
  • TTZ_Dipsy wrote: »
    Last year I hated the new system at first and quickly grew to love it - don't be a doofus and you won't trip someone...

Sure, there are still trips (or non-trips) that make me roll my eyes, but more often than not I'm ok with what's given.

I played an online VS match yesterday and there were 0 penalties. Literally and truly 0, wow right? Normally there would be like 30 trips so it seems like people are getting the message.

Nice to hear.

It's pretty much logical thinking.

- Don't - poke if you - both - too close and also behind your opponent.

Try not to poke in too much of desperation, try to be calm. I would say it's better to not poke, if your not 80% sure you won't tripp. Instead just switch player or skate back home with the one thats behind - and don't focus on the puck carrier, just get him home.

And try to have a certain gap between you and the puck carrier that you are about to poke.

Other then that, have a good time poking!
  • Sega82mega
    3507 posts Member
    edited March 14
    Whats bother me, cause I know it dosent need to happen, is when a game comes to a certain stage, and I can almost feel the tripping is about to come for my opponent's, cause they play really aggressive and desperate, and of course you can say a tripping is never necessary to take, - but - When games get to this 'stage' im talking about, it's - really - not necessary to take this tripping calls. If they just could get back or switch to a defender and fall back immediately.

What some seem to miss, is that there comes 'periods' in a game were you need to realese the gas-pedal and instead of going forward they have to play the other way, defense.

And just beacuse you cant move forward at that certain point, that dosent automatic mean you will never be able to do it in a short amount of time, and it also dosent mean your opponent is about to score.

Try to keep calm, and some times now and then under a game you need to focus on the defensive part. If you do that right, it will be much easier to attack next time you get the puck.

Instead of poke check like you always do, try to laborate, and don't poke at this most 'critical times' were you usally poke and gets a call, dont poke this times and just move back instead, and see if something good will happen. 😊✊

* I think you can say, that works pretty good, that every 'aggressive poke-tripp' you take, this times is were you suppose to stop the forecheck and go back instead.
  • IceLion68
    1376 posts Member
    edited March 16
    This game has issues, but in EASHL poke check=penalty is not one of them (anymore) IMO.
    Post edited by IceLion68 on
    This game has issues, but in EASHL poke check=penalty is (no longer) one of them IMO.

Thats a pretty huge step forward.

That poke checks are in the right place is a pretty importen mechanism for the game to be good.

But I do like them too... It's more about thoose turbo-poke-maniacs that destroy the game in our 1vs1 mode.

I think they misunderstood the purpose of 'having an active stick'. There softly spoken, super-active.
    This game has issues, but in EASHL poke check=penalty is not one of them (anymore) IMO.

Couldn't agree more. It's really opened the game up, IMO.
  • IceLion68
    1376 posts Member
    Some aspects of Defence have gotten better, yet others are worse. I still feel the defensive "toolkit" pales in comparison to the offensive one, and that for the most part, the offensive one is more forgiving.. and I daresay more fun.