EA Forums - Banner

Stop lying to yourselves, cross crease is trash

Replies

  • I'm an avid old school NHL gamer and decided to pull the trigger on NHL 21 as it looks unreal compared to NHL 98 (My fav).

    I truly love Online Versus, however, I'm consistently playing the same game...defending EVERY opponent's move - the cross crease pass.

    I've played over 60 games and its been the same goal everytime. I bought this game to play competitively and see what cool ideas I can incorporate into my game from my opponents. Turns out it's just the cross crease pass which is 8/10 times a goal and done 100% of the time.

    What's the point of playing if its just an game of who scores the most cross crease pass?

    This is the most boring game and gutted I forked out $50 Canadian for this.
  • Socair
    2769 posts Game Changer
    Jagavekov wrote: »
    kyl_35 wrote: »
    @EA_Aljo can we please merge all of this dude’s threads with the cross crease one?

    Sorry for messing up your experience on the forums. I just figured that since this months old thread with over 850 comments has obviously not gotten EA to to fix the horribly broken pass interceptions, I might as well create some separate threads with videos to help them out.

    Longer threads get more attention from the devs. And this thread isn’t old as it’s used daily. Making multiple threads about the same current topic isn’t ideal and dilutes the board.
  • Lol just posted something like this.

    This game is BORING. It's a game of who scores the most with the cross crease pass.

    Defending this move 100% in a game is boring and makes you wonder why the hell I shelled out money for this game.
  • Socair wrote: »
    Jagavekov wrote: »
    kyl_35 wrote: »
    @EA_Aljo can we please merge all of this dude’s threads with the cross crease one?

    Sorry for messing up your experience on the forums. I just figured that since this months old thread with over 850 comments has obviously not gotten EA to to fix the horribly broken pass interceptions, I might as well create some separate threads with videos to help them out.

    Longer threads get more attention from the devs. And this thread isn’t old as it’s used daily. Making multiple threads about the same current topic isn’t ideal and dilutes the board.

    The first post in this thread was in October, around when the game came out. I would say that this thread is old. There have been 900 comments, the vast majority of which take issue with the effectiveness of cross crease plays. Yet there had been no fix from EA. Since OCTOBER.
  • This is a "classic thread" you should feel honored by posting in it...

    😉
  • Jagavekov wrote: »
    Socair wrote: »
    Jagavekov wrote: »
    kyl_35 wrote: »
    @EA_Aljo can we please merge all of this dude’s threads with the cross crease one?

    Sorry for messing up your experience on the forums. I just figured that since this months old thread with over 850 comments has obviously not gotten EA to to fix the horribly broken pass interceptions, I might as well create some separate threads with videos to help them out.

    Longer threads get more attention from the devs. And this thread isn’t old as it’s used daily. Making multiple threads about the same current topic isn’t ideal and dilutes the board.

    The first post in this thread was in October, around when the game came out. I would say that this thread is old. There have been 900 comments, the vast majority of which take issue with the effectiveness of cross crease plays. Yet there had been no fix from EA. Since OCTOBER.

    It won't get fixed at this point, they're already on to putting a fresh coat of paint on NHL 22. At this point the most we'll see are more, unwanted silly clothes for EASHL (aka NHL Fortnite) . We've been told previously in other threads that the Devs have made numerous fixes over the years, but when asked politely for a list (or even video proof 😉) I've yet to see any response. I get that when you make these games bugs come up.

    But when every single year some of the same issues arise, or when an issue like the cross crease is brought up by the community at large and the biggest thread on YOUR forums is constantly people complaining about the same issue, something should be done. Unfortunately nothing has or will be done. What I found was a slap in the face is after the initial backlash, they had the audacity to have the commentary say "this would be the perfect time for a cross crease one timer". Really? Instead of fixing something, you make fun of your customers? Bravo EA........ BRAVO.
  • xPDogg65x wrote: »
    That looked like the pass went in off of the defensive players stick for an own goal

    If that were the case then the passer would have been celebrating as though he scored but thats not what happened, the intended recipient is the one partying so that implies he got the shot off by shooting through the defenders sticks from behind them.
  • jrago73 wrote: »
    xPDogg65x wrote: »
    That looked like the pass went in off of the defensive players stick for an own goal

    If that were the case then the passer would have been celebrating as though he scored but thats not what happened, the intended recipient is the one partying so that implies he got the shot off by shooting through the defenders sticks from behind them.

    How can you see the reactions after the goal from the passer, he's out of the picture, isn't he? 🙄

    Whole team celebrating after a goal..

    Or am I wrong...?
  • EA_Aljo
    3039 posts EA Community Manager
    Jagavekov wrote: »
    kyl_35 wrote: »
    @EA_Aljo can we please merge all of this dude’s threads with the cross crease one?

    Sorry for messing up your experience on the forums. I just figured that since this months old thread with over 850 comments has obviously not gotten EA to to fix the horribly broken pass interceptions, I might as well create some separate threads with videos to help them out.

    So far, pass interceptions aren't appearing to be broken. There's a big difference between needs improvement and isn't working. Broken implies interceptions don't work. So, when someone makes claims something is broken, but it's clearly not, that's not exactly being constructive as it turns into more of an angry rant. The videos surely help bring light to this issue, but it doesn't mean changes are going to happen in 21. Much of the feedback you guys send in gets applied to future games.

    This community wanted more accountability for individual play. We were told there's too much automation, too many animations, etc. Defense is a challenging position to excel at. Just like being good with the puck requires its own skill. A lesser-skilled forward going up against a good defender is probably going to lose the puck a lot more often than against a poorer defender. I frequently see teams that collapse to the slot attempting to break up cross-crease passes. If they had played the carrier instead of giving them plenty of time to make that pass, chances are good they'd disrupt the play. Part of the skill in defending is knowing the best way to defend in each scenario. Having 5 guys collapse to the slot isn't always the right answer. Teams with better forwards that pressure the carrier and break up those passes before they happen are very frequently rewarded.

    It's entirely possible changes to intercepting passes will be made in the future. That said, defending still needs to require skill and not just collapsing to the slot hoping for the best. Skill isn't only pushing the right buttons at the right time. It's also made up of making the right decision with how to handle each defensive scenario. There's absolutely room for improvement, but interceptions aren't broken.


  • Yup. There's soooo many ways to take advantage of the cross crease, the moment of truth isn't the same second the pass from the corner comes...

    It's way before that.. Just how you 'defend' yourself in the o-zone or the NZ will effect you later on when your opponent's tryes to breach your zone.

    I often experience teams that just the 2-3 seconds before the cross creases is about to happen, they start to think.. Okay, now is a good plan to start defend, and they just run to the crease and tryes with every possible move to get in the way.

    You gotta have defense in mind 'all the time' not just 3 seconds.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Jagavekov wrote: »
    kyl_35 wrote: »
    @EA_Aljo can we please merge all of this dude’s threads with the cross crease one?

    Sorry for messing up your experience on the forums. I just figured that since this months old thread with over 850 comments has obviously not gotten EA to to fix the horribly broken pass interceptions, I might as well create some separate threads with videos to help them out.

    So far, pass interceptions aren't appearing to be broken. There's a big difference between needs improvement and isn't working. Broken implies interceptions don't work. So, when someone makes claims something is broken, but it's clearly not, that's not exactly being constructive as it turns into more of an angry rant. The videos surely help bring light to this issue, but it doesn't mean changes are going to happen in 21. Much of the feedback you guys send in gets applied to future games.

    This community wanted more accountability for individual play. We were told there's too much automation, too many animations, etc. Defense is a challenging position to excel at. Just like being good with the puck requires its own skill. A lesser-skilled forward going up against a good defender is probably going to lose the puck a lot more often than against a poorer defender. I frequently see teams that collapse to the slot attempting to break up cross-crease passes. If they had played the carrier instead of giving them plenty of time to make that pass, chances are good they'd disrupt the play. Part of the skill in defending is knowing the best way to defend in each scenario. Having 5 guys collapse to the slot isn't always the right answer. Teams with better forwards that pressure the carrier and break up those passes before they happen are very frequently rewarded.

    It's entirely possible changes to intercepting passes will be made in the future. That said, defending still needs to require skill and not just collapsing to the slot hoping for the best. Skill isn't only pushing the right buttons at the right time. It's also made up of making the right decision with how to handle each defensive scenario. There's absolutely room for improvement, but interceptions aren't broken.


    gb0hg4rpgrxr.gif

    fh0f96ekoyte.gif

    ms1dcd1e5fzs.gif




    I disagree, I think they are broken, because you can be in the perfect spot, be between the passer and recipient, and have pretty much the same reaction time to make an interception, have very high def awareness ratings (which SHOULD counter high passing ratings and the ridiculous prevalence of auto-saucing), and you won't make the play.

    Combine that with defensive AI like this:

    4cph11dzwxuu.gif

    sdw5ijwaxpnh.gif

    And then physics like this:

    bdenj8wm0av9.gif

    And you have an extremely frustrating gameplay experience where there is a miniscule margin for error in defense (and even with no error you still probably won't make the play), and a gigantic margin for error on offense - you can abuse L2/LT and never have any consequences, send perfect blind backhand behind the back and between the legs saucer passes, run into the boards at full speed, stickhandle recklessly and never lose the puck, etc.















  • There's so many things I wanna say. But im settle for, the game is not perfect, but neither are our defense.

    To constantly switch between players may work in the o-zone when you are chasin the puck carrier but not when its about to defend in your own zone.

    The more you switch, the less clue of what your opponent is up to.
  • Sega82mega
    3794 posts Member
    edited March 29


    Here's a close look on the self sauce.

    It became a race, who will get there first... I lost.

    But anyway.. I have never been a fan of the self sauce and this shows why..

    At least in my book.. The 'self sauce player' makes a movement with the stick like he is shoting/flipping the puck forward, but in 'reality' the puck is never a head of the stick, it's more like it's behind.. And that makes no sence. It should push the puck more away from the player.. Unless he dosent 'spin' the puck with the stick blade, a little bit like curling.

    But naah.. Not a beauty.. Mmm well okey, I wont complain it's in the game but I wouldn’t miss it if it disappeared..
  • EA_Aljo
    3039 posts EA Community Manager
    @Jagavekov

    If interceptions were broken, they would never work. I'm not saying they are perfect. I'm saying they can be improved.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    If interceptions were broken, they would never work. I'm not saying they are perfect. I'm saying they can be improved.
    If interceptions are not working as intended, then it's broken. Do you think it works now as intended?
  • Sega82mega
    3794 posts Member
    edited March 29
    I do think interceptions are working as intended.

    But as intended dosent mean it can't be better.


    How could interceptions work in another way then to how it is now?

    It's about timing and to have the right body positioning to the puck carrier. I can't really see it be in any other way..?

    All tough there's other stuff, like the speed in both passes and the generally game-speed that could have an impact on interceptions. The more time we gets to have to adjust and control our players, the 'easier' it would be to be able to read passes correct.

    Like for example.. If you chasin around in your own zone like a maniac, left right, up and down, poke, hits and switch players every second, I dont see how that player are suppose to intercept a pass all of a sudden.

    It takes time and alot of finess to get the player you choose to defend with to get in right position to intercept passes. Not something you just do, in 2 or 3 seconds with one player.
  • amxblade
    209 posts Member
    edited March 29
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    @Jagavekov

    If interceptions were broken, they would never work. I'm not saying they are perfect. I'm saying they can be improved.

    Then tell the Devs to improve them! This game has been like this since release and there's been absolutely nothing done to fix any of the issues in the game. Less time on ridiculous clothes and releasing McDavids 79th HUT card, more time fixing the game!
  • jrago73
    694 posts Member
    edited March 29
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    jrago73 wrote: »
    xPDogg65x wrote: »
    That looked like the pass went in off of the defensive players stick for an own goal

    If that were the case then the passer would have been celebrating as though he scored but thats not what happened, the intended recipient is the one partying so that implies he got the shot off by shooting through the defenders sticks from behind them.

    How can you see the reactions after the goal from the passer, he's out of the picture, isn't he? 🙄

    Whole team celebrating after a goal..

    Or am I wrong...?

    Maybe this is a 6's vs 1v1 thing but in eashl only the guy who scores can trigger a cele animation and the camera stays on him. That's what I see here.

    Whereas in an own goal the camera pans to the last guy on the scoring team who had posession and gives him the credit and celebration option.

    But this is crazy 1v1 land so maybe its different, you tell me.

    Edit: now that I look again i don't see anybody celebrating, I thought the "shooter" was doing the kneeling hand drag cele but I think he's just behind the net finishing his one timer animation.
  • jrago73 wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    jrago73 wrote: »
    xPDogg65x wrote: »
    That looked like the pass went in off of the defensive players stick for an own goal

    If that were the case then the passer would have been celebrating as though he scored but thats not what happened, the intended recipient is the one partying so that implies he got the shot off by shooting through the defenders sticks from behind them.

    How can you see the reactions after the goal from the passer, he's out of the picture, isn't he? 🙄

    Whole team celebrating after a goal..

    Or am I wrong...?

    Maybe this is a 6's vs 1v1 thing but in eashl only the guy who scores can trigger a cele animation and the camera stays on him. That's what I see here.

    Whereas in an own goal the camera pans to the last guy on the scoring team who had posession and gives him the credit and celebration option.

    But this is crazy 1v1 land so maybe its different, you tell me.

    Edit: now that I look again i don't see anybody celebrating, I thought the "shooter" was doing the kneeling hand drag cele but I think he's just behind the net finishing his one timer animation.

    Hehe yes thank you, I was startin to think that I was crazy. Cause the closest to 'cely' I see in that clip is that 'habs' player that blows a tire... 😜

    *crazy 1vs1 land... Heh*...
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Jagavekov wrote: »
    kyl_35 wrote: »
    @EA_Aljo can we please merge all of this dude’s threads with the cross crease one?

    Sorry for messing up your experience on the forums. I just figured that since this months old thread with over 850 comments has obviously not gotten EA to to fix the horribly broken pass interceptions, I might as well create some separate threads with videos to help them out.

    So far, pass interceptions aren't appearing to be broken. There's a big difference between needs improvement and isn't working. Broken implies interceptions don't work. So, when someone makes claims something is broken, but it's clearly not, that's not exactly being constructive as it turns into more of an angry rant. The videos surely help bring light to this issue, but it doesn't mean changes are going to happen in 21. Much of the feedback you guys send in gets applied to future games.

    This community wanted more accountability for individual play. We were told there's too much automation, too many animations, etc. Defense is a challenging position to excel at. Just like being good with the puck requires its own skill. A lesser-skilled forward going up against a good defender is probably going to lose the puck a lot more often than against a poorer defender. I frequently see teams that collapse to the slot attempting to break up cross-crease passes. If they had played the carrier instead of giving them plenty of time to make that pass, chances are good they'd disrupt the play. Part of the skill in defending is knowing the best way to defend in each scenario. Having 5 guys collapse to the slot isn't always the right answer. Teams with better forwards that pressure the carrier and break up those passes before they happen are very frequently rewarded.

    It's entirely possible changes to intercepting passes will be made in the future. That said, defending still needs to require skill and not just collapsing to the slot hoping for the best. Skill isn't only pushing the right buttons at the right time. It's also made up of making the right decision with how to handle each defensive scenario. There's absolutely room for improvement, but interceptions aren't broken.


    I just want to focus on the individual accountability. I believe it exists when playing defense, as these videos show. If you aren't 120% perfect you will get burned. Can we please, please, please have the same level of accountability on the offensive side of the puck?
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!