EA Forums - Banner

Is the game playing us instead??

Replies

• jrago73
    693 posts Member
    On Youtube you can Watch Games from the last 2k NHL.
    There you can see, what even was possible about 10 years ago, with other people who obiosly had great fun in their work.
    For me it seems, that the same people on EA are progaming year by year do their work without any intusiasm and joy, only a bit mustdowork, for twenty years now. No young blood, no good ideas, no surprises, always the same, only optimized a bit grafically and a bit the gameplay.
    If I only take a look at the cut scenes... yes they variy a bit more resp. others are added but old deleted... But all in all everything stays the same.

As your starting scenes and cut scenes are scripted boaring and always repeating the same things, the game play is most of the time boaring and again and again repeating everything.
    If I only think of the puck, that flies (felt) a hundred times per game into the stands when deflected by a player or the goalie... always the same and I guess this will stay about 5 to 10 years until you react and implement other deflection routines.

EA can you imagine, that some of us play this game every day?
    What do you think, we are thinking, when we see and hear always the same routines?
    Can you imagine?

Presentation is stale, that's for sure.

For those of us who've played this game for over 20 years, you can recognize the same cut sequences used since like NHL 2004.

I stopped buying nba2k a few years back because I hated the greedy practices on that game but I briefly checked it out for free on gamepass this week and I forgot how many light years ahead of EA Sports that game is in terms of presentation. Aside from changing announcers and the scoreboard nothing comes to mind for presentation improvements this entire generation unless you really liked last years helicopter.
  • So often, the devs or mods claim the ai doesn't do anything we can't.

What's the button to activate a slough foot? Because the ai just did it to me, lol. Literally standing still, and moves his leg back to trip me as I got close. Then immediately picks up the puck to skate it down for a goal the other way.

I mean, it's only in superstar hut rush mode, but still. Seeing the ai intentionally put his foot back to intentionally trip me, grab the puck and take it the other net for a goal, just more proof of scripting.

Don’t forget that they can stop, turn, and start on a dime, slam into the boards and do 270 escape moves, skate from 0 to 100 instantly, and win literally every single puck battle. Not to mention the fact that you can watch a CPU AI literally sprint and warp through your AI to chase a loose puck while your AI stand there like a robot awaiting instructions, completely either unaware or disinterested in the loose puck.

And your HUT rush games man, don’t worry that’s just the AI executing a gameplan my man. Nothing is going on behind the scenes. You definitely completely forgot how to execute the same 3 meta plays and the same 3 break-in plays that always work due to the AI just shutting you down, man. Just super “organic” results due to “physics based” gameplay with exceptionally perfect, never wavering, sliders. You just gotta pull off more of those “super stutter” juke moves the CPU does that we can totally do because we definitely have the same abilities as the AI!
  • So tell me why it's required for players to capture video to prove things happen when it's not required for EA to show us the code for the game to prove that it DOESN'T happen???

I don't think I have the energy to explain how intellectual property works, and why companies spend millions to keep their code under wraps...
    You play 3 games in a row that feel fast and crisp and then all of a sudden every game is slow and laggy, yet you guys at EA have the audacity to blame it on our internet or skill level when your game just sucks in how it's programmed...or maybe this is exactly how you want the game to play so us EA Sheep will buy more packs to get better players.

EA has never blamed anyone for anything. They've simply laid out the facts: If you experience lag in an OVP game - there's an internet connection issue between you and your opponent due to the P2P connection.

With HUT/EASHL - it could be an issue that you've been put on a server far away from you - or again - you've got an internet connection issue.
    I am so sick of watching this game play one way at one time and then do an instant 180 for NO REASON WHATSOEVER!!

There's a lot of reasons though; you're playing a more skilled opponent, you've been matched up against someone with a poor internet connection and/or poor connection to EA's servers, you're making more mistakes than usual.. etc. The list is long.

You could shorten that list by providing some video of these games that do a 180 though.

Nobody is asking you to provide video because they think you're making it up. It would just be interesting to see what you perceive as the game being scripted, that's all.

It's probably not your personal fault, but I am sick of people defending this financially predatory behavior with the game. Some of us are adults with kids, work, and a life and just want a fun experience in our limited time that we have to play the game. Instead we get a crap-ton of bulljive and maybe a game here or there that resembles a REAL competitive experience.

I agree. It is frustrating when you want to play a game of realistic hockey, only to be LT'd by an elite player who knows how to make the most of their opportunities and/or you see a sequence play out in an offline mode that makes you scratch your head.

That said - playing a realistic game of hockey in EA's online environment depends a lot on what your opponent brings to the table.

If they're LTing you and taking advantage of poor defending in an unrealistic way, that's not on EA. That's on players doing everything they can to game the system.

No matter what EA does - you're ALWAYS going to have players game the system and do whatever it takes to win.

IMO - EA does a really good job of not implementing artificial means in order to force people to play realistically. They're trying their best to evolve the engine so that realistic hockey is the best approach for being successful.

It's still not there quite yet - but I see positive strides being taken in every release.
    You'd be surprised at how far a fair game would go where players don't feel screwed over by the "game mechanics" that don't follow actual physics. What do I know right? I don't have a video for you so my opinion isn't valid at that point, right!?!?

Again - not saying your point isn't valid.

But with video, the EA developers can pinpoint real issues that need to be addressed rather than try to decipher what's happening to a player when they say "the game is scripted".

Here is the problem that exists even with video capturing the game. You can ONLY show what is happening in the game. You CANNOT show how many of your button presses don't translate over to the game or translate VERY inaccurately, and always to the advantage of your opponent. A game video does NOT show that stuff, and that is exactly where many of the problems happen.

You could look at a video and say "Well, this is what happened and why it happened...and this is how to NOT have that happen" and I would say something like "Well that's EXACTLY what I did on my controller, but half of my input was nerfed/ignored during this whole sequence of things leading to the problems that happened." Now that's a very general statement and the wording of it would change depending on context and game situation, but I hope you are understanding the general point I'm trying to make here.

Not all things can be shown or proven with a video. When somebody says that their controller input works at one moment and then all of a sudden the game decides to ignore half of the controller input leading to advantages for the opponent it's no wonder people claim their ice-tilty theories exist in this game.

I still stand by what I said before, and that is that your players have DEFINED attributes, and EA's attempt at nerfing those attributes in order to "sway the game" one way or another is infuriating in the least and leads to MANY people not playing the game any more. The BEST way to remove these conspiracy theories from players is to actually take the time to hear where the problems are coming from and design the game code away from those problems so it doesn't keep happening. Common sense right?
  • You CANNOT show how many of your button presses don't translate over to the game or translate VERY inaccurately, and always to the advantage of your opponent

If your button presses aren't translating accurately (whatever that means) then how do you explain your opponent not suffering from the same thing?

It only happens to you?
  • You CANNOT show how many of your button presses don't translate over to the game or translate VERY inaccurately, and always to the advantage of your opponent

If your button presses aren't translating accurately (whatever that means) then how do you explain your opponent not suffering from the same thing?

It only happens to you?

What that means is that you can press the pass button 3 times and no pass happens. You can take a shot by flipping the right stick and the shot doesn't happen. You can make a pass along the boards and instead the game will send it right to your opponent in front of the net (doesn't matter how you set the pass assist either). You can press the player switch button and "all of a sudden" it will either NOT switch players at all or will keep switching you to players irrelevant to where the play is happening. I see this a lot when you miss a lead pass up the ice and you want to try to beat an icing call. The game WILL NOT allow you to switch to that player even though he is the only one close to where the puck is going.

I'm not saying it only happens to me either. It may happen to my opponent as well. That STILL doesn't make it right though if it does. You can't have a fair competitive game where "the game" favors one side or the other randomly. Even if the game screws over both sides equally the same it still isn't right that it happens. At least that's how I look at it. The controller is in your hand for a reason and I just expect it to work correctly ALL of the time.

It only happens to you?

What that means is that you can press the pass button 3 times and no pass happens. You can take a shot by flipping the right stick and the shot doesn't happen. You can make a pass along the boards and instead the game will send it right to your opponent in front of the net (doesn't matter how you set the pass assist either). You can press the player switch button and "all of a sudden" it will either NOT switch players at all or will keep switching you to players irrelevant to where the play is happening. I see this a lot when you miss a lead pass up the ice and you want to try to beat an icing call. The game WILL NOT allow you to switch to that player even though he is the only one close to where the puck is going.

I'm not saying it only happens to me either. It may happen to my opponent as well. That STILL doesn't make it right though if it does. You can't have a fair competitive game where "the game" favors one side or the other randomly. Even if the game screws over both sides equally the same it still isn't right that it happens. At least that's how I look at it. The controller is in your hand for a reason and I just expect it to work correctly ALL of the time.

I think you may have a problem with your controller.
  • IceLion68
    1575 posts Member
    edited April 1
    What that means is that you can press the pass button 3 times and no pass happens.

Can confirm: This has happened to me on quite a few occasions and to people have played with. it's not uncommon. I have a brand new Elite 2 controller. It's definitely not my controller.

Given the widely reported lag and such, it shouldn't be terribly controversial or surprising that this game might have control input issues.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    What that means is that you can press the pass button 3 times and no pass happens.

Can confirm: This has happened to me on quite a few occasions and to people have played with. it's not uncommon. I have a brand new Elite 2 controller. It's definitely not my controller.

Given the widely reported lag and such, it shouldn't be terribly controversial or surprising that this game might have control input issues.

I think you're both conflating being in an animation that doesn't allow a pass with a button not registering.

It only happens to you?

It does happen to them. It happens to you as well. Either you don't have the cognitive ability to notice it, or you ignore it. But it does happen to everyone. Not everyone is capable of noticing it due to a lack of observation skills.

It only happens to you?

Maybe the problem is whoever is in charge of the controls, shouldn't be doing that job. Switching players being a primary example. Why would they add clicking one of the sticks to switch to last man back? So many numbskull ideas implemented, makes me question the leadership. Whoever decides who works on what is doing a bad job.

It only happens to you?

That's not true in the slightest. I experience the exact same with brand new controllers.

Game controls are bunk. Period.
  • jrago73
    693 posts Member
    You CANNOT show how many of your button presses don't translate over to the game or translate VERY inaccurately, and always to the advantage of your opponent

It only happens to you?

That's not true in the slightest. I experience the exact same with brand new controllers.

Game controls are bunk. Period.

I have this problem from time to time with several controllers. I'll be jamming pass and literally yell "pass the $%^& puck" before he finally does. It happens to the guys I play with too, we don't record it.
  • kyl_35
    149 posts Member
    Happens to me playing offline, but that’s usually because there’s a guy checking me as I try to pass. I wish the game would let that pass go regardless, and maybe there’s just less power behind it, of it goes off in the wrong direction.

Instead I get either a perfect pass or no pass.
  • kyl_35 wrote: »
    but that’s usually because there’s a guy checking me as I try to pass.

Bingo
    Happens to me playing offline, but that’s usually because there’s a guy checking me as I try to pass. I wish the game would let that pass go regardless, and maybe there’s just less power behind it, of it goes off in the wrong direction.

Instead I get either a perfect pass or no pass.

This is indicative of another problem. Animations!! Everything you do is reliant on some form of programmed animation, and it feels like your controller doesn't do anything while you're stuck in one. Sometimes your animations appear to play out in slow-motion too, and that makes you wonder if THAT is being adjusted dynamically depending on EA game situation.

Has anybody ever watched what your player does while an opponent is in close proximity to you? It looks like all of his limbs are frozen in place until the animation finishes playing out. Why is that? My player isn't allowed to move his limbs (react) to anything while he's being touched in any way, or so it feels that way.

The nuances with how the game decides when you can use your controller are baffling to me. To be totally fair I do believe that player vs player contact should affect what you do with your controller, but the result shouldn't be black-or-white. It shouldn't be either a perfect pass or no pass at all.
  • Greyinsi
    130 posts Member
    jrago73 wrote: »
    I have this problem from time to time with several controllers. I'll be jamming pass and literally yell "pass the $%^& puck" before he finally does. It happens to the guys I play with too, we don't record it.
    This is like everytime I play eashl with friends, people screaming the doesn’t register pass/shoot etc. It’s not controller related, just bought new ps5 and problem continues. You can receive the pass in middle of ice, nobody near and player still refuses to pass the puck.. The game seems to have something better to do than register control inputs.
  • jrago73
    693 posts Member
    Greyinsi wrote: »
    This is like everytime I play eashl with friends, people screaming the doesn’t register pass/shoot etc. It’s not controller related, just bought new ps5 and problem continues. You can receive the pass in middle of ice, nobody near and player still refuses to pass the puck.. The game seems to have something better to do than register control inputs.

Same here. Also eashl and nobody near me and no animations or interference of any kind. Controllers work great on every other game.
  • jrago73 wrote: »
    Greyinsi wrote: »

Same here. Also eashl and nobody near me and no animations or interference of any kind. Controllers work great on every other game.

THIS right here EA is the doggam truth!! Fix it and stop making excuses EA!! Your controller input accuracy is also on a DDA slider like much of the game. Fix it and stop making excuses!!

Bingo

Do you genuinely believe everyone here lacks the intellectual capacity to understand the difference between a desired one-touch pass not executing due to poor responsiveness and being in the middle of stumbling which would prevent a one-touch pass from executing?
  • KidShowtime1867
    1731 posts Member
    edited April 6
    kyl_35 wrote: »

Bingo

Do you genuinely believe everyone here lacks the intellectual capacity to understand the difference between a desired one-touch pass not executing due to poor responsiveness and being in the middle of stumbling which would prevent a one-touch pass from executing?

Not everyone, no.

But I've seen enough people post videos of "the game being trash" only to show someone doesn't understand the difference between a backhand and forehand pass, or they think blindly skating at full speed in to the corner is "perfect defending", or stick lifting after a goal is scored is "perfect timing'

You can't blame me for assuming people are conflating a button press 'not registering' with being unable to execute a pass due to being body checked.

I've never said everyone here lacks any type of intellectual capacity, and I'd appreciate you refraining from implying that I've said that.