EA Forums - Banner

Please fix! Slapping the puck in the defensive zone

Prev1
We used to be able to use a slapshot to fire the puck around the boards and out of the defensive zone.

Now we get this:

Replies

• IceLion68
    1567 posts Member
    in general clearing the puck is pretty abysmal. at least they mostly fixed the over the boards delay of game nonsense.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • Sega82mega
    3780 posts Member
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    in general clearing the puck is pretty abysmal. at least they mostly fixed the over the boards delay of game nonsense.

Yeah I wish there would be a more natural way to chip out the puck from your own zone. To clear the pressure.

There’s no really good height on the 'dump'.. It could go higher and in a better loop.. Or to use the board/plexi...

And this is probebly the most common play in hockey, when you defend a lead.. Play safe.. But there isn't really any safe play to practice.

More then puck ragging, that seem to be what people prefer to do when they wanna play safe.
  • An “arcade” hockey game in 2003 allowed for easy glass chips and high flips to exit the zone without icing the puck. This game has to “fix” your RS commands in the defensive zone locking onto your net as if you’re shooting every year (guess they forgot to fix it this year).

Seriously, every single year this is usually part of the first patch. This happens all of the time. Guess it wasn’t worth fixing this year, so now we’re forced to slap-pass around the boards.
  • jrago73
    692 posts Member
    We used to be able to use a slapshot to fire the puck around the boards and out of the defensive zone.

Now we get this:

I'm totally with you on this. Once I'm passed the net and skating away from it I can usually slap it out but only in that case and even the I'm puckered up pretty tight until I see the result.
  • We used to be able to use a slapshot to fire the puck around the boards and out of the defensive zone.

Now we get this:

Perhaps you weren’t aiming your slap shot correctly. You should’ve shown your controller inputs in that video to actually see your aiming. 😜

You also had the time and the space to skate behind the net and out the other side to ensure you didn’t shoot it at the net. 😜

• We used to be able to use a slapshot to fire the puck around the boards and out of the defensive zone.

Now we get this:

Perhaps you weren’t aiming your slap shot correctly. You should’ve shown your controller inputs in that video to actually see your aiming. 😜

You also had the time and the space to skate behind the net and out the other side to ensure you didn’t shoot it at the net. 😜

And yet it's still something in need of fixing. That's like saying it's alright that your steering wheel only turns left, you just need to make sure you only take left turns.

Now we get this:

And yet it's still something in need of fixing. That's like saying it's alright that your steering wheel only turns left, you just need to make sure you only take left turns.

It’s not like saying that at all.

The video didn’t show where he was aiming so perhaps he accidentally was aiming at the net. Without video proof of his controller input/aiming then it’s inconclusive.

I’ve played tons of games as a Dman and I don’t have any problem slap shooting it around the boards and out of the zone after my C wins it back to me like in his video. In fact I’ve scored goals doing just that so it is possible.

• Follisimo
    1178 posts Member
    I also love how so many times you go to slapshot the puck down the ice but the player hits it like a wuss for no reason. Or when you are clearly aiming and the shot magically goes in the line of a skater and they keep it in.

• Follisimo wrote: »
    I also love how so many times you go to slapshot the puck down the ice but the player hits it like a wuss for no reason. Or when you are clearly aiming and the shot magically goes in the line of a skater and they keep it in.

Don't you love it how you can load up a full-power slap-clear only to have the other team "catch" it on their stick with no bounce or deflection, and they can instantly aim and take a shot...all in one motion it would seem?

Now we get this:

Also, what ever happened to the R1/flick R3 puck chip they used to have in the game? I used to use that all the time YEARS ago.
  • j0rtsu67
    630 posts Member
    edited April 12
    Follisimo wrote: »

Don't you love it how you can load up a full-power slap-clear only to have the other team "catch" it on their stick with no bounce or deflection, and they can instantly aim and take a shot...all in one motion it would seem?

Now we get this:

Also, what ever happened to the R1/flick R3 puck chip they used to have in the game? I used to use that all the time YEARS ago.
    They've changed it, instead of R1 (RB on xbox) you need to press R3 (RS) and aim/flick with R3 (RS).
    Link to a good YT guide.
    I think they changed it when DSS was introduced? Was much better/easier before.

Post edited by j0rtsu67 on
  • EA_Aljo
    3033 posts EA Community Manager
    j0rtsu67 wrote: »

Now we get this:

They've changed it, instead of R1 (RB on xbox) you need to press R3 (RS) and aim/flick with R3 (RS).
    Link to a good YT guide.

Correct. This change was due to adding DSS.
  • IceLion68
    1567 posts Member
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    j0rtsu67 wrote: »

Link to a good YT guide.

Correct. This change was due to adding DSS.

Cool info - thank you guys!
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • COGSx86
    785 posts Member
    edited April 12
    You have to aim the slape shot with the LS when you bring back the RS (the stick)

Try it out in practice mode, we talkin about practice
    You must unlearn what you have learned!

Now we get this:

The video didn’t show where he was aiming so perhaps he accidentally was aiming at the net. Without video proof of his controller input/aiming then it’s inconclusive.

I’ve played tons of games as a Dman and I don’t have any problem slap shooting it around the boards and out of the zone after my C wins it back to me like in his video. In fact I’ve scored goals doing just that so it is possible.

Well he's a good player who regularly makes plays like that. I give him the benefit of the doubt. I've seen way too many instant replays of my own shots or passes going nowhere near where I was aiming to assume that he wasn't aiming where he wanted.

Now we get this:

Well he's a good player who regularly makes plays like that. I give him the benefit of the doubt. I've seen way too many instant replays of my own shots or passes going nowhere near where I was aiming to assume that he wasn't aiming where he wanted.

Well I don’t know you and/or him as a player so I don’t give him the benefit of the doubt.

If everyone else has to show proper videos (including controller inputs if necessary which in this case is yes) then he should too.

I’ve played years as a Dman even getting the puck as a RW in this instance and don’t recall ever shooting it directly at the net like he did in that video.

• j0rtsu67 wrote: »

Now we get this:

Link to a good YT guide.

Thanks for the heads up. That sounds like an awkward controller move compared to what it was for sure.
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    You have to aim the slape shot with the LS when you bring back the RS (the stick)

100% wrong. Both slap and wrist shots are locking onto your own net this year. It’s happened literally every single year I can remember and is always one of the first things addressed. Only shot this year I’ve had success “ringing” the puck with is the backhand for whatever reason.

• Perhaps you weren’t aiming your slap shot correctly. You should’ve shown your controller inputs in that video to actually see your aiming. 😜

You're absolutely right, my bad. I might try to grab a capture of me doing this in replay mode to show where I'm aiming.

My point is that the mechanic never used to force you to aim - it would automatically know that you are a defender wanting to slap the puck out of the zone, so it automatically aimed to the corner your player was facing.

I'm not quite sure why we would be given the option to slap the puck at our own net, but you're right - I guess I could've been aiming wrong.

Now we get this:

Thanks man. I'm used to this mechanic working the way it did in previous years with no onus on the player to aim it to the corner they most obviously want to aim it to. If there was a change for added responsibility for aiming while slapping out of the zone, it would be nice if this was explained.

I believe in NHL 19 or NHL 20, there was a patch that fixed this very issue only to have it reverted in NHL 21's release.
    COGSx86 wrote: »

100% wrong. Both slap and wrist shots are locking onto your own net this year. It’s happened literally every single year I can remember and is always one of the first things addressed. Only shot this year I’ve had success “ringing” the puck with is the backhand for whatever reason.

It's true - this mechanic does need addressing every year but it seems this year it's not getting that love.
  • Even the phantom puck stop on the boards didn’t get addressed
  • COGSx86 wrote: »

Pretty sure I confirmed this is the case last night. I wasn't able to capture in replay mode to see the inputs, but I was able to successfully slap it to the corner while behind the net by aiming it.. to the corner.

I feel like an idiot.

I swear we weren't required to aim to the corner in previous years.

Anyway... consider this resolved!