EA Forums - Banner

Is the game playing us instead??

Replies

• EA_Aljo wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    IMO, player switching issues are from people frantically trying to switch to the right player, clicking RT too much. I do it too when I have moments where manual switching has escaped me and I revert back to just auto-select.

Again, using manual switching I've mitigated 99% of these issues. Yes, sometimes it still selects the wrong player but I chalk that up to my mistake, assuming my angle on LS was good.

For those trying to get last man back, hold RT and click RS. Literally 100% of the time you'll take control of the last man back.

Now.. I think we can all agree that player switching issues and some passing issues could be remedied with some good old icon-based passing, a la NBA & NHL 2k.

gdynqf2.png

I feel like this would take away from the skill with passing and automate it too much. There were a lot of complaints about tape to tape passing with the 360/PS3 generation of games. Wouldn't this also go against requests from the hardcore community that want more accountability for their play?

I can currently make a blind, behind the back pass with 100% accuracy, my sauces are automated and I am able to hold the puck to my backhand for an absurd amount of time and rocket a 90mph tape-to-tape pass from that backhand with no wind up or follow through - so needless to say; the 'skill' associated with passing in its current state is very, very low.

Like I said, icon based passing would be an improvement in SOME scenarios, not all.

I agree with you when it comes to behind the back, no-look passes. I think those should be less accurate. I just wouldn't want to see the requirement to aim be lessened. I'm on the fence when it comes to auto saucing of passes though. This is part of having a higher passing rating. It's also not guaranteed it's going to happen. Even with high passing, you still need to manual sauce to be sure it's done. I still see many passes on the ice instead of sauced from players with high passing.

I mean, aiming would still matter...? It’s just that it’s naturally going to be a much weaker pass and will also have a lot of “built-in” error even with “perfect” user accuracy input when making a risky pass like that. It’s like using “power swing” in the show with a guy that has 20 power. It can lead to something good but it might not work even with near-perfect skill as power is not a strong point of the player’s skill set.

How complicated should passing really be? It's a pretty basic skill for pro players. There's already a built-in margin of error according to player ratings. I would think something like behind-the-back passes should only be available to players with really high passing, but otherwise, is the current passing system really needing a lot of work? The same goes for one timers. Is making them manual going to result in the game being more fun? I'm sure it would for some, but don't see this being a widely accepted change. That's pure speculation though of course. Maybe everyone would love it. At the end of the day, this is a video game. It's meant to be fun. I feel like making things overly complicated or raising the simulation factor really high is going to also bring added frustration.

Is it “complicated” to ask someone to learn how to make a smarter play than a whipped backhanded behind the back pass? Is it “complicated” to ask a forward to use LT and open their body up to properly receive a pass when you literally ask defensemen to do this and have asked them to do this for 12 years? I don’t care about fully manual one-timers, but proper body positing is 100% doable. This is the “accountability” portion of offense that’s just 100% missing. These are little things that would literally be balanced, not something extra for forwards, but just balanced and equal to the defensive side of the puck.

I’m glad we’re worried about the forwards having fun though. It really would be a huge shame if they couldn’t just blindly spin around and whip backhanded passes at speeds that’d make NHL forehand passes look slow, across to their buddy on the backdoor who scores with a fadeaway backhanded one-timer because the defender didn’t properly feather his player into the 100% correct position on the ice which lead to the forced pass.
  • Sega82mega
    4237 posts Member
    edited April 20
    But there's gotta be some reason why it feels like im been playing against the same team sence the game was realesed.

Sprint + looking for cross crease one-timer, to keep it short.

And that is anything but fun.

I dont really care what changes that will be made - I take whatever to get rid of the current obsession about the speed and the cross creases.

That shows - If something - that people rather win - then have fun - while they playing.

If the game can be fun - even when you loose, it's a winner.

(but also.. Just to add, it would surprise me alot if next game 22, wouldn’t be something 'completely' diffrent.. Don't take me exactly by my word.. But it's probebly gonna be and feel, diffrent)...
  • EA_Blueberry
    4742 posts EA Community Manager
    j0rtsu67 wrote: »
    There was a suggestion that EA should modify online sliders to make the gameplay feel more realistic. Is it a totally impossible thought there would be two or three test periods with different slider sets for few days? And after that gather feedback about it?

I suppose that could always be considered for alpha/beta tests if the team feels that's necessary, however from what I've seen over a decade of being in the industry the developers usually have a good idea where they want certain settings and the technical tests are designed to identify bugs, test new features, server stability, balancing, overall feedback, and other various objectives. I don't foresee public betas having different stages of game settings planned as the slider feedback likely got picked up during internal testing and alpha stages. This is my personal observation though and not official as I have no direction influence on how the team plans these out. Just feedback on my role assisting teams of the years.

If you want to become a playtester for EA games and haven't signed up yet, definitely head over here right now: https://www.ea.com/playtesting/faq/become-a-playtester
  • EA_Aljo
    3204 posts EA Community Manager
    IMO, player switching issues are from people frantically trying to switch to the right player, clicking RT too much. I do it too when I have moments where manual switching has escaped me and I revert back to just auto-select.

Again, using manual switching I've mitigated 99% of these issues. Yes, sometimes it still selects the wrong player but I chalk that up to my mistake, assuming my angle on LS was good.

For those trying to get last man back, hold RT and click RS. Literally 100% of the time you'll take control of the last man back.

Now.. I think we can all agree that player switching issues and some passing issues could be remedied with some good old icon-based passing, a la NBA & NHL 2k.

gdynqf2.png

I feel like this would take away from the skill with passing and automate it too much. There were a lot of complaints about tape to tape passing with the 360/PS3 generation of games. Wouldn't this also go against requests from the hardcore community that want more accountability for their play?

I can currently make a blind, behind the back pass with 100% accuracy, my sauces are automated and I am able to hold the puck to my backhand for an absurd amount of time and rocket a 90mph tape-to-tape pass from that backhand with no wind up or follow through - so needless to say; the 'skill' associated with passing in its current state is very, very low.

Like I said, icon based passing would be an improvement in SOME scenarios, not all.

I agree with you when it comes to behind the back, no-look passes. I think those should be less accurate. I just wouldn't want to see the requirement to aim be lessened. I'm on the fence when it comes to auto saucing of passes though. This is part of having a higher passing rating. It's also not guaranteed it's going to happen. Even with high passing, you still need to manual sauce to be sure it's done. I still see many passes on the ice instead of sauced from players with high passing.

I mean, aiming would still matter...? It’s just that it’s naturally going to be a much weaker pass and will also have a lot of “built-in” error even with “perfect” user accuracy input when making a risky pass like that. It’s like using “power swing” in the show with a guy that has 20 power. It can lead to something good but it might not work even with near-perfect skill as power is not a strong point of the player’s skill set.

How complicated should passing really be? It's a pretty basic skill for pro players. There's already a built-in margin of error according to player ratings. I would think something like behind-the-back passes should only be available to players with really high passing, but otherwise, is the current passing system really needing a lot of work? The same goes for one timers. Is making them manual going to result in the game being more fun? I'm sure it would for some, but don't see this being a widely accepted change. That's pure speculation though of course. Maybe everyone would love it. At the end of the day, this is a video game. It's meant to be fun. I feel like making things overly complicated or raising the simulation factor really high is going to also bring added frustration.

Is it “complicated” to ask someone to learn how to make a smarter play than a whipped backhanded behind the back pass? Is it “complicated” to ask a forward to use LT and open their body up to properly receive a pass when you literally ask defensemen to do this and have asked them to do this for 12 years? I don’t care about fully manual one-timers, but proper body positing is 100% doable. This is the “accountability” portion of offense that’s just 100% missing. These are little things that would literally be balanced, not something extra for forwards, but just balanced and equal to the defensive side of the puck.

I’m glad we’re worried about the forwards having fun though. It really would be a huge shame if they couldn’t just blindly spin around and whip backhanded passes at speeds that’d make NHL forehand passes look slow, across to their buddy on the backdoor who scores with a fadeaway backhanded one-timer because the defender didn’t properly feather his player into the 100% correct position on the ice which lead to the forced pass.

I had agreed on the sentiments here about behind the back passes. As far as positioning goes and intercepting passes, the dev team is very well aware of the feedback here. I'm trying to present these issues from multiple angles as they all are considered when making gameplay changes. It's very easy to focus on something you feel would improve the game without also considering the downsides.

gdynqf2.png

I had agreed on the sentiments here about behind the back passes. As far as positioning goes and intercepting passes, the dev team is very well aware of the feedback here. I'm trying to present these issues from multiple angles as they all are considered when making gameplay changes. It's very easy to focus on something you feel would improve the game without also considering the downsides.

True, but considering the downsides of something we never really tryed, online.. is hard.

But I get that.. And I also bealive the developers knows what their doing.

But some things - like get the pace to flow in a more natural way, by somehow makes the gameplay feel more present. (maybe slow down the speed in some areas, passes? Acc? Top speed?)

That would be interesting to see the result of.
  • IceLion68
    1618 posts Member
    The same goes for one timers. Is making them manual going to result in the game being more fun? I'm sure it would for some, but don't see this being a widely accepted change. That's pure speculation though of course. Maybe everyone would love it. At the end of the day, this is a video game. It's meant to be fun. I feel like making things overly complicated or raising the simulation factor really high is going to also bring added frustration.

I think you can still keep one-timers automatic but make their success dependent on the slap shot attribute and the presence of the one time wonder specialty
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.

gdynqf2.png

Okay well I don’t really know what we’re debating then. All I said was aiming would still matter even if you nerfed those specific backhanded passes. Don’t really see any “downsides” to making offense have close to the same skill required to do basic things like we see on the defensive side of the puck.

@KidShowtime1867 love your stick idea, especially since the show came out and I’ve been playing with their pinpoint pitching. More perfectly up the release is, more accuracy you can reach. I’d also like to see more of a risk/reward to curling the stick (loading up a shot) and using a snapshot.

I revisited NHL 2k8 recently thanks to Venom and I really loved how they had a “power wrist shot” and a snapshot. Similar to this game, but the risk reward felt much better in that game. Maybe it was because the stick didn’t allow for radical cuts like this game which meant defenders could accurately predict a shot was coming when you saw the player start loading up (natural counter - balance), but I just felt like the shots were so powerful and accurate and really were high danger shots when I managed to get them through traffic, but that’s the big kicker as the CPU was very good at getting a stick and(or) body in the lane to block these shots. It’s really an incredible experience worth feeling if you haven’t.

Anyway, would love to see the curled shots in this game regain their power and zip when shot from and at realistic angles/spots on the net. Would love to see snapshots catch goalies more and lead to more rebounds when shot correctly. Would also love to see much more “inaccurate” shots that hit center mass and just on-net in general. Leads to potentially more scrambles and chaos rather than glass club memberships that lead to east changes in possession and less zone time/pressure.
  • j0rtsu67
    644 posts Member
    edited April 20
    There was a suggestion that EA should modify online sliders to make the gameplay feel more realistic. Is it a totally impossible thought there would be two or three test periods with different slider sets for few days? And after that gather feedback about it?
    It's an interesting idea, but it would probably be pretty confusing for the very high majority of people playing that don't visit the forums. I'd rather see some sort of community test environment for this.
    Confusing? Please, don't use that as an excuse... Just make a pop up text (you remember BLM?) that informs in the game (no need to visit the forum) what is happening... ;)

And I don't care if it would be a community test or open for everyone, just bring it on.
    "EA_Aljo wrote:
    However, you can also replicate what this would be like in an offline mode by turning off all the assists and setting the difficulty to All-Star.
    Maybe I missed something but how would that replicate "a different slider set"? :confused:
    EDIT:
    When you mentioned "turning off all the assists" I was first confused but I just realized, that I've been reading two different threads simultaneously (not literally...), one with laptop and other with tablet and I was referring to other thread but I think it fits here as well! :D:blush:

And on the other hand, how can I do this with my team mates? My bad though that I didn't mention EASHL in my previous post. If I'm not totally wrong, it's not possible to play team games with custom sliders/settings?

In theory, does it need something more than just a tuner to modify online sliders? Or does it need a patch?
    Post edited by j0rtsu67 on
    Sega82mega wrote: »

gdynqf2.png

I want that to be only when im going to switch between players - not when I have the puck.

Yes. I understand that and agree with it. This could be a little easier than the manual switching that currently is in the game.

The manual switching was definitely to more use then I remember.

Still some 'click' that it feels like it didn't register but overall much better then I thought.
  • EA_Aljo
    3204 posts EA Community Manager
    It's an interesting idea, but it would probably be pretty confusing for the very high majority of people playing that don't visit the forums. I'd rather see some sort of community test environment for this.
    Confusing? Please, don't use that as an excuse... Just make a pop up text (you remember BLM?) that informs in the game (no need to visit the forum) what is happening... ;)

And I don't care if it would be a community test or open for everyone, just bring it on.
    "EA_Aljo wrote:
    However, you can also replicate what this would be like in an offline mode by turning off all the assists and setting the difficulty to All-Star.
    Maybe I missed something but how would that replicate "a different slider set"? :confused:
    EDIT:
    When you mentioned "turning off all the assists" I was first confused but I just realized, that I've been reading two different threads simultaneously (not literally...), one with laptop and other with tablet and I was referring to other thread but I think it fits here as well! :D:blush:

And on the other hand, how can I do this with my team mates? My bad though that I didn't mention EASHL in my previous post. If I'm not totally wrong, it's not possible to play team games with custom sliders/settings?

In theory, does it need something more than just a tuner to modify online sliders? Or does it need a patch?

I was talking about playing offline to get an idea of what it's like to have no assists.

As far as confusing people goes, when you have some 90% of the community not on the forums, having the game drastically change is probably not going to be received well. There are people playing in online leagues as well as competing in HUT tournaments. To all of a sudden remove assists and have the game play wildly differently is going to upset a lot of players. Especially when you can see how the game plays without assists in an offline setting where it's not going to interfere with anyone else.
  • I Sometimes thinks that everyone thats involved with this game of course is keeping themselves updated on this community, in one way or another.

But thats probebly not true... 🤔😏
  • j0rtsu67 wrote: »

I suppose that could always be considered for alpha/beta tests if the team feels that's necessary, however from what I've seen over a decade of being in the industry the developers usually have a good idea where they want certain settings and the technical tests are designed to identify bugs, test new features, server stability, balancing, overall feedback, and other various objectives. I don't foresee public betas having different stages of game settings planned as the slider feedback likely got picked up during internal testing and alpha stages. This is my personal observation though and not official as I have no direction influence on how the team plans these out. Just feedback on my role assisting teams of the years.
    I understand alpha/beta tests are made before release, but after few months after release people have made a lot of work with sliders/settings to make the game play more realistic. In that time it would be very interesting to see how those would work in online and (especially) in team play.

Of course I don't have a full insight how it would be done in practice, but is it (in theory) possible to make exactly same adjustment for online sliders/gameplay settings with a tuner than for me to modify sliders/gameplay settings in offline mode?

What I'm trying to promote (not sure it it's the right term...), if there would be an ultimate offline slider/setting set (made by some forum member for example), would it be hard/next to impossible to replicate it in online modes via a tuner? And after test period, go back to previous sliders/settings?

God this is hard for me, English is not my language... :D
    If you want to become a playtester for EA games and haven't signed up yet, definitely head over here right now: https://www.ea.com/playtesting/faq/become-a-playtester
    I'll probably pass, thank you anyway, maybe some forum members will hop in instead.

"EA_Aljo wrote:
    EDIT:

I was talking about playing offline to get an idea of what it's like to have no assists.

As far as confusing people goes, when you have some 90% of the community not on the forums, having the game drastically change is probably not going to be received well. There are people playing in online leagues as well as competing in HUT tournaments. To all of a sudden remove assists and have the game play wildly differently is going to upset a lot of players. Especially when you can see how the game plays without assists in an offline setting where it's not going to interfere with anyone else.
    Ok. Thanks.

I understand alpha/beta tests are made before release, but after few months after release people have made a lot of work with sliders/settings to make the game play more realistic. In that time it would be very interesting to see how those would work in online and (especially) in team play.

Of course I don't have a full insight how it would be done in practice, but is it (in theory) possible to make exactly same adjustment for online sliders/gameplay settings with a tuner than for me to modify sliders/gameplay settings in offline mode?

What I'm trying to promote (not sure it it's the right term...), if there would be an ultimate offline slider/setting set (made by some forum member for example), would it be hard/next to impossible to replicate it in online modes via a tuner? And after test period, go back to previous sliders/settings?

I'll probably pass, thank you anyway, maybe some forum members will hop in instead.

At the end of the day, we just need some sort of private lobby system where we can use custom sliders. Wether it’s in 6s or 1v1, we need custom sliders because clearly the default online sliders will always cater to the status quo which is fine, just let me and my friends actually enjoy this game in other ways than offline.

At the end of the day, we just need some sort of private lobby system where we can use custom sliders. Wether it’s in 6s or 1v1, we need custom sliders because clearly the default online sliders will always cater to the status quo which is fine, just let me and my friends actually enjoy this game in other ways than offline.
    I totally agree.
    But wouldn't that be too simple and too good to be true though...? :grimace:

Actually, people saying that's fine is part of the problem here. The online sliders are NOT fine by a longshot, and haven't been for many years.
  • IMO, player switching issues are from people frantically trying to switch to the right player, clicking RT too much. I do it too when I have moments where manual switching has escaped me and I revert back to just auto-select.

gdynqf2.png

I am 100% in favour of this for both switching players and passing. I would leave passing just as it is now, but also add in this feature when holding down RT/RB. As long as the left stick is used for aiming the pass so that you have to be in good body position and actually be facing the player you are passing to in order for it to be accurate. Players would also have the ability to ignore the 4-button method and just use what we have now if they choose. I just want to have the ability to hit that long stretch breakout pass without it constantly going to the wrong person and I think this method would help with that. For player switching it seems like a no brainer to add this in.

Actually, people saying that's fine is part of the problem here. The online sliders are NOT fine by a longshot, and haven't been for many years.

Haha no arguments there from me, I’m just trying to be realistic here. Clearly the default public meta is where they want it to be, so I’m just asking for a workaround. For every single one of us going “what hockey is this meta based on?” There’s 100 (1000+?) people who don’t even know enough about the sport to know how inaccurate the depiction is/simply don’t care about having any sort of realism in their video games.
  • jrago73
    746 posts Member

Haha no arguments there from me, I’m just trying to be realistic here. Clearly the default public meta is where they want it to be, so I’m just asking for a workaround. For every single one of us going “what hockey is this meta based on?” There’s 100 (1000+?) people who don’t even know enough about the sport to know how inaccurate the depiction is/simply don’t care about having any sort of realism in their video games.

I'm with you. Let us set up our own leagues AND play offline coop or vs as if they were on the couch next to us with our own sliders.
  • Sega82mega
    4237 posts Member
    edited April 21
    I miss some sort of discipline and patience in this game.

Everything is just a stress, no mather were the puck are, people comes at you like they have pulled their goalie.

It sometimes feels like players are close to fall plat on there face cause their legs can't keep up with the speed they set.

That would have been a sight for sore eyes.

(it would be really cool if we could create our own league with our own settings)..- that case im signing up in Bf1's league... Anyone that tryes to backskate at the same time he are suppose to attack... I leave them to Bf1 to handle.. 😄