EA Forums - Banner

Let's Talk: Feedback on playing real hockey

Replies

• Isn't defense about to slow down the opposite team?

And offens is about keeping the legs moving?

If thats so.

Offense got some great advantage.

It's not easy to slow down the pace in this game, but the times you manage to do so - thats when they start to glide and therefore making themselves as really hard targets to get.

This two things are probebly a good reason for everyone to first of all practice offensive skills.

Defense has never really been a gamechanger in this game.

But it's definitely on it's way to get a higher meaning. Thanks to 21.
  • IceLion68
    1567 posts Member
    edited April 21
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

I'm not seeing tie-ups being inconsistent. They work under specific conditions and those conditions can be tough to achieve. Namely, that they have to stop moving to be tied up. Forwards don't usually come to a stop in front of the net.

More granular movement would be good for those that can't feather the sticks too well. This was in the game previously with TPS. You could hold in a button, I think LB/L1, could be wrong though and went into more precise movement, but it was very rarely used. I might be a bit off with that though. It's been a while and nobody really used it.

L1 functionality is still there while holding the puck. I don't think L1 has ever been a thing while not controlling the puck - but I could be wrong.
    Ya I mean you can feather the stick but it feels/looks weird and just doesnt seem too effective if I am trying to tie up or push someone. I would want a modifier - like goalies - where if I hold it down I get fine/precise movements instead of gross movements.
    The bolded part is what gets me though and I think is the crux of one of the issues on defense; why are there so many things that need to align for defenders to defend, yet players with the puck just need to hit pass and hold shoot to execute an NHL level one-timer?

This is pretty much the bulk of my gripe
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • [quote="Sega82mega;c-2192962"]Is tie-ups even a thing in 1vs1?

I see my CPU do it now and then.

At best - I stick lift my opponent's CPU infront of the net, but thats about it.
    [/quote]

You def can tie up in 1v1. I stand next to the guy by the net and as a pass comes, hold A (xbox) and he does a little stick tie up battle. After i learned this well and facing the pass and feathering tje stick, those cross creases become easier to defend, but if thats ALL they try for all game, one or 2 will go through several people and into your net.

We absolutely need dynamic learning for goalies and a.i. as well.
  • Aah nice to hear xx1..

I have never got in to that animation, but I havent directly looked for that opportunity.

Neither have I been tied up by opponent.

So it can't be that well-known as a good strategy.

But it sure sounds like a wet dream to handle the cross crease mania we got out there.

dynamic learning for goalies and a.i. would be 'wicked' as Ali G would say! 😏
  • jrago73
    692 posts Member
    edited April 21
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Aah nice to hear xx1..

I have never got in to that animation, but I havent directly looked for that opportunity.

Neither have I been tied up by opponent.

So it can't be that well-known as a good strategy.

But it sure sounds like a wet dream to handle the cross crease mania we got out there.

dynamic learning for goalies and a.i. would be 'wicked' as Ali G would say! 😏

Tie ups don't happen anywhere because today's impatient Adderall ridden players never sit still long enough to set up a play, and if they did then that player would be just clogging up that priceless cross crease lane.

Instead of all hits being completely ineffective or completely murdering the puck handler put in a much wider range that results in lighter bumps, stumbles or loss of possession of the puck.

Manual timing for one timers

Manual pass strength. A rocket pass to a guy 4 feet away should be hard to receive or deflect off a stick of a defender or attacker. A noodle should be easy to receive or steal. Passing and D awr stat could widen the acceptable range to get the puck.

Deflected passes. In the NHL not every pass has to be received or intercepted. If you force a pass through a crowd or a defender can barely get a stick on it then it might end up somewhere in open space. This would also cut down on intercepted pucks instantly going the other direction, reducing the north/south tendencies.

I also like Kids idea for shooting mechanics.

Manual timing and/or aiming for deflections/tips.

If defenders get their stick disabled every time it clips through something then the puck handlers should too. Your animation shouldn't let you put the puck and/or stick through a defender and I have certainly never seen a player irl hold his stick through the boards to protect the puck.

The puck handler (or anybody really) should not bounce off the boards at a steep angle at high speed with zero friction.

And to keep removing unfair mechanics and keep things balanced you can then take away the defenses ability to interfere with players so long as they don't hit the check stick, and give them a manual pass intercept button that will help or hurt your chances depending on correct timing and def awareness.
  • Yeah thats how I feel - "Tie ups don't happen anywhere because today's impatient Adderall ridden players never sit still long enough to set up a play".

Instead of standing still - to get better angles to pass/or shot/or set up real plays - people glide, and when you come after them, an awkward angle of a pass goes off.

Otherwise - Very good post jrago73!
  • In regards to shooting mechanics - I managed to squeak in some time with MLB: The Show 21 last night.

Holy moses.. what an incredible sports game.

Pinpoint pitching and the mechanics behind it made me think of shooting in the NHL games.

rpDZhEt.png

It would be neat if wrist shots, slap shots, snap shots all had unique movements on the RS in order to get the most power and accuracy, much like in The Show.

• IceLion68 wrote: »
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    You can still play aggressively or be more proactive and defend well. I don't think you have to just be passive to be successful at defending. Good teams will find ways to take advantage of passive defenders as well.

Right. I understand that but I am saying that it is more difficult and less forgiving than any previous year in my memory to play more aggressively. Not that that is bad in and of itself but i have seen very little corresponding increase in responsibility on the offensive side.

What would you do to give offense more responsibility or give defense a better way to counter dekes? We could probably make dekeing more difficult to pull off, but that could also make player ratings less important. There are many requests for custom builds. All those points you put into those attributes boost your player's skills and provide more assistance from the game so the personal skill needed isn't as important. You wouldn't need to be so precise with shot aim, for example. So, if ratings were made to be less important, why have custom builds? I for sure understand the argument that offense is OP and defense lacks the same kind of attention, but there are still many skilled defenders that can stop skilled forwards. What would you do to balance this out better?
    Off the top of my head
    - Remove auto-sauce (as discussed in the other threads
    - Fix the no look behind the back passing
    - Make one timers manually timed
    - Allow defenders finer/more granular movement around the front of the net
    - Make net tie ups more reliable - right now it seems very inconsistent

I'd have to give this some more thought.

In general though it seems that pulling off crazy deke moves requires less skill and precision to reliably and consistently pull off than a basic stick lift or poke check.

110% agree. Especially the fine movement- I wish skating was more dynamic - that could even be fixed with a tuner.

When I first started eashl I WAS trying to time 1-ts- I was so shocked to find out how easy it was after a teammate educated me. Kinda made me lose a little of the admiration of all those goal scoring snipers 😂
  • In regards to shooting mechanics - I managed to squeak in some time with MLB: The Show 21 last night.

Holy moses.. what an incredible sports game.

Pinpoint pitching and the mechanics behind it made me think of shooting in the NHL games.

rpDZhEt.png

It would be neat if wrist shots, slap shots, snap shots all had unique movements on the RS in order to get the most power and accuracy, much like in The Show.

I’ve never enjoyed pitching in baseball games before. Pinpoint pitching is incredible! Shooting 100% needs more to it in this game imo.
  • Get rid of synergies and all the overrated players. Then the game will be more realistic instantly. If you play online versus and they play a game in HUT rivals it's not even close to the same game. Rivals or champions or GWC isn't real hockey. The only player that should be flying around the ice is connor McDavid. Matt barzal, is a fast player too. But come on guys. Stop with the shenanigans and make a Hockey Game!!!!!
  • Sega82mega
    3780 posts Member
    edited April 22
    I take it here instead of the cross crease thread.

This is a good example why hook-passes almost makes it impossible to defend.

And this was against a good player, around 800CR.

The better the opponent's are the bigger chance for this to happen... Why is that? Cause they can 'force' the game mechanics better then anyone else, by never really losing the puck. When you have 'forced' them to slow down, even then their good to keep the puck just by gliding and makes some passes here and there. This can go on for at least a couple of 'game minutes'

Like this example in the video.. I had wait him out pretty good, as you self can understand, or else he wouldn’t do like he did, tryed a hook behind(!) the net, but somehow it manage to work out pretty good for him.

The 'problem' with good players is that they often has one or two 'sure goals' that they can do with the puck carrier aaaand they have their main-target, the cross crease. So it becomes really hard to attack the puck carrier too aggressive cause then the pass comes - and if I focus on the player thats infront of the net - he goes for a 'snipe'.

And when I get the puck in the video, with the glove, im helpless, I dont got the time to even do anything, before I 'automatically ' loose the puck back to him.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

The better the opponent's are the bigger chance for this to happen... Why is that? Cause they can 'force' the game mechanics better then anyone else, by never really losing the puck. When you have 'forced' them to slow down, even then their good to keep the puck just by gliding and makes some passes here and there. This can go on for at least a couple of 'game minutes'

Like this example in the video.. I had wait him out pretty good, as you self can understand, or else he wouldn’t do like he did, tryed a hook behind(!) the net, but somehow it manage to work out pretty good for him.

The 'problem' with good players is that they often has one or two 'sure goals' that they can do with the puck carrier aaaand they have their main-target, the cross crease. So it becomes really hard to attack the puck carrier too aggressive cause then the pass comes - and if I focus on the player thats infront of the net - he goes for a 'snipe'.

And when I get the puck in the video, with the glove, im helpless, I dont got the time to even do anything, before I 'automatically ' loose the puck back to him.

That was a perfect example of sticks going through players bodies. Its like an unknown force takes over when the cross crease is attempted. So annoying and so frustrating.

oh my god that was brutal.
  • Hehe yeah it gets brutal like that from times to times. Especially when I play guys that's good of keeping puck possession and I just try to be patience and hold my ground.

I think if I could have keept control of my #3 I could have seen that coming, but beacuse my AI happens to get the puck behind the net, I automatic got that player and I lost my 'spot' with my #3.

And the rest is history... 😏
  • twhite1387 wrote: »
    I think the whole CR/RP system needs a rework. The random #'s are asinine, something easily like +350 for a win(450 if your collective team play is above...A- or something), -350(reduced to -250 for the same thing), this way you still get a bit of a reward for playing well. Think of it like the "loser point"

@EA_Aljo

What about something like this? A big part of the DDA/IT claims stem from from the fact that in EASHL it's really easy to look at a game you thoroughly dummy an opponent club in...but still somehow lose because "all the bounces went one way", and one goalie was superhuman while the other was like, the last kid picked in gym class and stuck there who lets everything in. You'll see that you lost 700 RP and the team was trash. You outshoot the other club 32-5 and lose 4-0. Your ToA is 4x theirs. Won the majority of faceoffs, way better passing etc.

Lose the visible rank icons, make it only visible to your team. Go with the "flat rate" approach. I think that would go a long way in helping get rid of those claims.

twhite1387 wrote: »
    I think the whole CR/RP system needs a rework. The random #'s are asinine, something easily like +350 for a win(450 if your collective team play is above...A- or something), -350(reduced to -250 for the same thing), this way you still get a bit of a reward for playing well. Think of it like the "loser point"

@EA_Aljo

What about something like this? A big part of the DDA/IT claims stem from from the fact that in EASHL it's really easy to look at a game you thoroughly dummy an opponent club in...but still somehow lose because "all the bounces went one way", and one goalie was superhuman while the other was like, the last kid picked in gym class and stuck there who lets everything in. You'll see that you lost 700 RP and the team was trash. You outshoot the other club 32-5 and lose 4-0. Your ToA is 4x theirs. Won the majority of faceoffs, way better passing etc.

Lose the visible rank icons, make it only visible to your team. Go with the "flat rate" approach. I think that would go a long way in helping get rid of those claims.

I won a game last night in GWC 5-4. Barely hung on for the win. Shots were 38-9. TOA was 10:4]0 to 5:30. I completely dominated yet every cross crease he got through went in. It's ridiculous.

oh my god that was brutal.

Yes. Yes it was. The whole time I was watching with trepidation because I knew it was going to be bad, but I didn't expect it would be THAT bad.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.

sweet merciful...that's just terrible...I may have snapped my controller if that happened to me...wait, it does...all the time...
    Sega82mega wrote: »

sweet merciful...that's just terrible...I may have snapped my controller if that happened to me...wait, it does...all the time...
    Wait, according to EA. The game doesn't decide the outcome. The person holding the controller does. Lmao. Yea right. Doesn't matter how good you are. If you have 97 Mcdavid,Mathews Gretzky Lemieux and the rest of the usual gang that everyone has, you can't stop the inevitable. The "GAME" Takes over and you can't stop it. This is why those garbage overrated players need to be eliminated from this game. Because I guarantee you the people who are winning with these disgustingly overeggateraded players won't be able to win with normal players.
    So in summary, it's not the player holding the controller, it's the game.
  • smyth9779 wrote: »
    . So in summary, it's not the player holding the controller, it's the game.

I agree to an extent...because that sort of severe clipping nonsense should never make it out of the internal Alpha, let alone a beta...and should never see the light of day in the finished game. It'll never be perfect and I never expect it to be, but at the very least, contextually speaking that shot shouldnt happen