EA Forums - Banner

Video evidence of self-saucing affecting AI defence

2Next

Replies

• Sega82mega wrote: »
    Between these scenarios, the scenarios where your AI wants to “cover” for you because you’re one microinch out of position according to them, and you’re AI prioritizing arbitrary spots over the puck, playing defense in this game is very frustrating.

This is such a huge problem, IMO.

It really showcases itself during the powerplay. If your opponent is defensively minded, there is somewhat of an ability to maintain possession and set up a power play.

But right now, users with poor defensive skill and a poor defensive mindset get away with chasing the puck carrier while holding RS - meaning if the player geography touches pixels, the player holding RS gets the 'nudge' on the puck carrier.

Combine that with the A.I. constantly wanting to cover - if you manage to outmanvuer an opponent just mindlessly holding RS for a body check, chances are you've moved a little bit and your potential receiver of a pass is now wildly out of position.

Yeah this alone makes it almost impossible to set up in o-zone.

There’s always one player that comes flying at you.

But I can really see the problem from EA"s side here.

How do you prevent players from doing that?

Somehow penalize them, but how?

Build in a system where in the defensive zone you use up more stamina and actually make stamina matter in movement of your player. You can watch real hockey and see teams wear down their opponent with a good 1-2min in the attack zone of cycling and getting them to move.

• Follisimo wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Between these scenarios, the scenarios where your AI wants to “cover” for you because you’re one microinch out of position according to them, and you’re AI prioritizing arbitrary spots over the puck, playing defense in this game is very frustrating.

It really showcases itself during the powerplay. If your opponent is defensively minded, there is somewhat of an ability to maintain possession and set up a power play.

But right now, users with poor defensive skill and a poor defensive mindset get away with chasing the puck carrier while holding RS - meaning if the player geography touches pixels, the player holding RS gets the 'nudge' on the puck carrier.

Combine that with the A.I. constantly wanting to cover - if you manage to outmanvuer an opponent just mindlessly holding RS for a body check, chances are you've moved a little bit and your potential receiver of a pass is now wildly out of position.

Build in a system where in the defensive zone you use up more stamina and actually make stamina matter in movement of your player. You can watch real hockey and see teams wear down their opponent with a good 1-2min in the attack zone of cycling and getting them to move.

Yeah sounds really good. If they refuse to do anything with the speed itself, at least make it more realistic by the use of speed/movement and the stamina.

Just so that we have to keep that in mind, when we decide how to move on the ice.
  • Follisimo
    1179 posts Member
    edited April 28
    Follisimo wrote: »

Yeah sounds really good. If they refuse to do anything with the speed itself, at least make it more realistic by the use of speed/movement and the stamina.

Just so that we have to keep that in mind, when we decide how to move on the ice.

There isn't anything wrong with the speed. It's making stamina work properly that is the biggest culprit of it all. But we can't expect much from HUT when players get those 90+ stamina and other stats. Also would probably promote people doing more zone defense instead of trying to pressure the player.

Stamina would need to be reworked to regain faster with my idea when they are on the bench. This refers to the defensive and offensive zones below. And the goal might look to promote offense but overall I feel it's promoting working the puck around to create chances. It would slightly see less run and gun play cause crazy hustling would get that stamina down faster.

-Even Strength
    When in your defending zone you use more stamina skating around
    When you're attacking you are using slightly less than normal stamina

- On PowerPlay
    When defending stamina gets used ever so slightly more skating around
    When attacking stamina usage is ever so slightly less than normal

-Penalty Kill
    When defending stamina gets used more slightly more skating around in your zone
    When attacking stamina usage is ever so slightly of a penalty of stamina usage

Added On - This method could effectively cut down on ragging the puck also as being in your defensive zone would tire the player out faster while the attackers would retain more stamina.
    Post edited by Follisimo on

There isn't anything wrong with the speed. It's making stamina work properly that is the biggest culprit of it all l.

Top end speed might not be the culprit, but acceleration levels are definitely about 5x higher than anything “realistic” which also shrinks the ice an incredible amount and allows ample time for recovery from poor decisions. “Skill zoning” wouldn’t work nearly as well if acceleration actually worked. If you don’t make a decision or read a cut/play properly when acceleration levels make sense, you’re going to have a much more difficult time recovering.

I agree with you about fatigue, I like that system you proposed. Imo, fatigue doesn’t drain fast enough even at 100. Like, I’d like to see a 1-2 game minute shift result in zero energy or very red at minimum, but I’d also like to see almost complete recovery in another 1.5-3 game minutes as well depending on stamina levels. Fatigue needs to both drain and recover at much quicker paces right now. I also like the part about defensive teams draining fatigue ever so slightly faster. We all know playing defense is much more tiring than playing offense (at least mentally if not physically) so it promote puck possession and zone time, plus implementing it via “zones” reduces ragging. Win-win imo.
  • Follisimo
    1179 posts Member

There isn't anything wrong with the speed. It's making stamina work properly that is the biggest culprit of it all l.

Top end speed might not be the culprit, but acceleration levels are definitely about 5x higher than anything “realistic” which also shrinks the ice an incredible amount and allows ample time for recovery from poor decisions. “Skill zoning” wouldn’t work nearly as well if acceleration actually worked. If you don’t make a decision or read a cut/play properly when acceleration levels make sense, you’re going to have a much more difficult time recovering.

I agree with you about fatigue, I like that system you proposed. Imo, fatigue doesn’t drain fast enough even at 100. Like, I’d like to see a 1-2 game minute shift result in zero energy or very red at minimum, but I’d also like to see almost complete recovery in another 1.5-3 game minutes as well depending on stamina levels. Fatigue needs to both drain and recover at much quicker paces right now. I also like the part about defensive teams draining fatigue ever so slightly faster. We all know playing defense is much more tiring than playing offense (at least mentally if not physically) so it promote puck possession and zone time, plus implementing it via “zones” reduces ragging. Win-win imo.

See also in my idea is that the stamina matters for the accel too. If you just got out you should have some fast accel to top speed but if you starting to get 75% or lower you notice getting up to your top speed isn't as easy or attainable because you are more winded.

See also in my idea is that the stamina matters for the accel too. If you just got out you should have some fast accel to top speed but if you starting to get 75% or lower you notice getting up to your top speed isn't as easy or attainable because you are more winded.

Yeah that makes sense and it’s a good idea, I was just saying that I believe the default acceleration level is too high atm regardless of fatigue.
  • Follisimo
    1179 posts Member

Yeah that makes sense and it’s a good idea, I was just saying that I believe the default acceleration level is too high atm regardless of fatigue.

I mean I spend majority of my time in EASHL and even with 0 stamina you can still move decently out there and it shouldn't be the case. Stamina in a way should affect a players stats.

If you're tired.....

More bobbling pucks
    Shots missing their targets more
    Weaker puck possession
    Hits being less effective
    And all the skating stuff i said

I feel like with my ideas to stamina would be a true gamechanger to the way the game plays. Wouldn't mind seeing goalies somehow getting a stamina system also where tough shots might start to weaken a goalie as the game goes along.

• Sega82mega
    3782 posts Member
    edited April 29

There isn't anything wrong with the speed.

Im abit ambivalent here.

Speed itself may not be a problem, but the way were able to use it - may be a problem.

But this thing with stamina could really work, as it would be harder to play a whole period with full speed.

Also if you take such a thing like the passing play - it's really hard to be able to get the time you need to L2 your body in diffrent angles to pass the puck with good control to another player. The speed is often forcing you to make a pretty 'fast pass' cause otherwise you will loose the puck to your opponent thats never far away from you with hes speed/hits/DSS. (but this might be more of an L2 issue - then speed).

But I like your whole post.

Would it be cool to have a much 'longer stamina bar', were you always was fully charged before every new period thats about to start, but after that you would never be fully charged again, you would just improve the bar marginally when you off to the bench for some rest.. So maybe this way you could notice a much bigger difference in the pace dependent if it's at the beginning on a new period or more to the end.

Time-outs would also be more importen to use.
  • [
    Man...do NOT get me started on the PowerPlay lol. We’ll be here all night...and you’re 100% right. The AI always wanting to “cover” leads to unnecessary defensive breakdowns and it rewards chasing on defense as your AI are never just “open” because they’re too busy skating back towards the area you just left while beating a man. It’s SO frustrating!!!

Check this out:

(Link for Mobile)

like.. why????
  • Yup thats sick.

You can really get left out, with your own AI.

Where all you can do is to wait for the opponent to come and get the puck.
  • IceLion68
    1567 posts Member
    [
    Man...do NOT get me started on the PowerPlay lol. We’ll be here all night...and you’re 100% right. The AI always wanting to “cover” leads to unnecessary defensive breakdowns and it rewards chasing on defense as your AI are never just “open” because they’re too busy skating back towards the area you just left while beating a man. It’s SO frustrating!!!

Check this out:

(Link for Mobile)

like.. why????

Not that this makes it any better, but is he the left D? Only thing I can think of... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • jrago73
    692 posts Member
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    [

Check this out:

(Link for Mobile)

like.. why????

Not that this makes it any better, but is he the left D? Only thing I can think of... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Probably the right D lol. I'm sure you know that if the rd is AI he will come "cover" for the LD by standing on his stick unless the LD keeps a leg against the boards.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »
    [

Check this out:

(Link for Mobile)

like.. why????

Here's the full clip from the faceoff:

Statsny is my C - and I pull him to the LW after the shot attempt. Rather than circle back to his position, he approaches my own defender with the gusto of a door-to-door Vaccuum salesman.

• Here's the full clip from the faceoff:

Statsny is my C - and I pull him to the LW after the shot attempt. Rather than circle back to his position, he approaches my own defender with the gusto of a door-to-door Vaccuum salesman.

plants tongue firmly in cheek

Well, obviously you pulled your player out of position and the AI was just trying to cover for your blunder.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1721 posts Member
    edited April 29

plants tongue firmly in cheek

Well, obviously you pulled your player out of position and the AI was just trying to cover for your blunder.

haha i know right?

And what the heck is this guy even doing?

In fact - looking at it again, it seems both forwards get stuck in the same 'cover up' instruction:

v6ikmoR.png

I mean I spend majority of my time in EASHL and even with 0 stamina you can still move decently out there and it shouldn't be the case. Stamina in a way should affect a players stats.

If you're tired.....

More bobbling pucks
    Shots missing their targets more
    Weaker puck possession
    Hits being less effective
    And all the skating stuff i said

I feel like with my ideas to stamina would be a true gamechanger to the way the game plays. Wouldn't mind seeing goalies somehow getting a stamina system also where tough shots might start to weaken a goalie as the game goes along.

Yeah I still 100% agree with everything you’re saying haha, I was just merely adding that I think acceleration at 50/100 is way too high regardless of fatigue sliders. I play with fatigue effect on 100 offline. It would definitely be a huge game changer, would result in zone time becoming the meta, and goalie fatigue would definitely be something I’d like to see as well.
    [

Check this out:

(Link for Mobile)

like.. why????

Yeeeeeep lol, happens so often! You’d like the see that guy either immediately stop after the pass or cut to the middle so the screener can peel and fill the gap of the initial passer there. That would be a “cover” that actually makes sense. What actually happened is the result of the AI being mad at you for being one micro-inch out of the arbitrary spot it believes is “proper” position.

It’s just one of those things that seems to be a good in theory, try to help the user out kind of things that in execution leads to less options which means you’re actually hurting the user by doing this.

Should be having people in the community actively testing AI logic and providing feedback on plays/scenarios just like the GC’s do for online tuners. The AI alone between the logic and super-boosted CPU AI are the biggest catalysts of frustration for me right now. Everything else I can change with a slider or attributes.
  • Sega82mega
    3782 posts Member
    edited April 29
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    [

Check this out:

(Link for Mobile)

like.. why????

Yeah it looks like statsny gets confused when he all of a sudden gets the drop pass from Perreault(?), and you take a turn to the left with him, far out from were he would be if the CPU would have him, so then when you passes the LD and you loose the control of Statsny - the CPU brain of him is totally lost.

Probebly a too advanced play for the CPU 'patterns' to keep up with.

*! syntax error! *