EA Forums - Banner

Stop lying to yourselves, cross crease is trash

Replies

• This goal was the result of the other player moving their players out of position.

1st player he controls runs into the wall. Takes control of the 2nd player to go behind the net which was #1 not necessary to defend the net and #2 then proceeds to run into the other defender again. Takes control of the third defender to spin away from the net.

I do agree with @KidShowtime1867 how #55 could have made an attempt to take an attempt at stabbing the puck at the last moment. That would be some positive AI improvement. At some point though we have to take accountability into action where goals scored on this type of defensive behavior should be rewarded and had little to do with the effectiveness of cross-crease goals.

I agree. Well said.
    Great move behind the net btw, @KidShowtime1867.

When you pull that move off do you see AI overcommit to the other side like in that video on a regular basis?

Thanks. I don't tend to be this successful with that move against the A.I. I think right now it's pretty balanced in the sense that I don't believe one could exploit this move to expose a flaw in the A.I.

It's definitely far more effective versus human controlled defenders who chase me behind the net. It creates spaces for me 9/10 times if I recognize a human chasing me. And I really like that.

If there's a human chasing me but recognizes that move is available, they'll typically let up on LS to match my speed and then have time to react and disrupt my attempt at the move.

• That move is pure 'money'.

Speaking of... I have to cred EA for the added dekes this year.

I knew it was alot of buzz around the lacrosse move, that it probebly would ruin the whole game.

But to be honest, I have barley seen it and I havent let up one goal as a result by that move. Would actually welcome it.
  • IceLion68
    1567 posts Member
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    That move is pure 'money'.

I knew it was alot of buzz around the lacrosse move, that it probebly would ruin the whole game.

But to be honest, I have barley seen it and I havent let up one goal as a result by that move. Would actually welcome it.
    That makes one of us LOL

Seriously though I wouldnt even be mad if I saw this in a game at this point.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »

That makes one of us LOL

Yea, same here. There was soo much speculation it would ruin the series but it takes so much time and skill to master it enough to be able to pull it off in a real game.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »

That makes one of us LOL

Hehe naah I agree.. I would 'wow' - it... Give him my respect. But im afraid I will keep seeing this cross creases.. If you heard of them... 😜
  • Sega82mega
    3779 posts Member
    edited April 30
    IceLion68 wrote: »

That makes one of us LOL

Yea, same here. There was soo much speculation it would ruin the series but it takes so much time and skill to master it enough to be able to pull it off in a real game.

I havent even bother to learn it for myself. Im not a flashy player in that kinda way.. Try to keep it pretty simpel. I leave the 'hot stuff' to the youth - and I shut them down... 😬😊

But the behind the net deke I just had to add. Loved that deke as a young boy playing hockey..
  • EA_Blueberry
    4639 posts EA Community Manager
    This goal was the result of the other player moving their players out of position.

1st player he controls runs into the wall. Takes control of the 2nd player to go behind the net which was #1 not necessary to defend the net and #2 then proceeds to run into the other defender again. Takes control of the third defender to spin away from the net.

I do agree with @KidShowtime1867 how #55 could have made an attempt to take an attempt at stabbing the puck at the last moment. That would be some positive AI improvement. At some point though we have to take accountability into action where goals scored on this type of defensive behavior should be rewarded and had little to do with the effectiveness of cross-crease goals.

I agree. Well said.

When you pull that move off do you see AI overcommit to the other side like in that video on a regular basis?

Thanks. I don't tend to be this successful with that move against the A.I. I think right now it's pretty balanced in the sense that I don't believe one could exploit this move to expose a flaw in the A.I.

It's definitely far more effective versus human controlled defenders who chase me behind the net. It creates spaces for me 9/10 times if I recognize a human chasing me. And I really like that.

If there's a human chasing me but recognizes that move is available, they'll typically let up on LS to match my speed and then have time to react and disrupt my attempt at the move.

I've never mastered that move so it's hard for me to successfully reproduce. I guess what I was trying to ask is whether you see the AI chase where they think the puck would have been as much as the AI did in that video. The player took control of the skater but then clicked off right when he hit the wall, so it felt like the AI was fooled. I wouldn't expect the AI to slingshot that far over to the other side which ended up causing a pile up when the player took control of the defender. I'd like to see the player's reaction to the move a little sooner.
  • Kid you asked if one of your goals was a forced one timer.. And I said no...

This is my example of a forced cross crease.

Usally you could tell when one of your own AI players gets killed by a stick that run through hes body after a one timer.. Thats a good sign of a 'forced play'..

😏
  • This goal was the result of the other player moving their players out of position.

I agree. Well said.

I've never mastered that move so it's hard for me to successfully reproduce. I guess what I was trying to ask is whether you see the AI chase where they think the puck would have been as much as the AI did in that video. The player took control of the skater but then clicked off right when he hit the wall, so it felt like the AI was fooled. I wouldn't expect the AI to slingshot that far over to the other side which ended up causing a pile up when the player took control of the defender. I'd like to see the player's reaction to the move a little sooner.

All that switching between AI players makes everything pretty chaotic.

I often experience the A.I to be the calm one.. That just try to stay on place, meanwhile the user often drag apart the whole team (the one thats chasin). Two diffrent forces.

In this clip - he probebly made more damage to he's own AI by switching that frequent then if he had tryed to stay with only one player and correct him as much as he could.
  • amxblade
    208 posts Member
    I love how we now have 55 pages on this topic and the most we'll get from EA is a mod complementing a post about a goal 🤦‍♂️, and you wonder what's wrong with this game.
  • EA_Aljo
    3033 posts EA Community Manager
    amxblade wrote: »
    I love how we now have 55 pages on this topic and the most we'll get from EA is a mod complementing a post about a goal 🤦‍♂️, and you wonder what's wrong with this game.

Feedback is being gathered from this thread as well as others. We aren't commenting because we don't have any updates on this. The dev team is extremely well aware of the input here. When we have something to announce, we'll do that.
  • Jagavekov
    154 posts Member
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    amxblade wrote: »

Feedback is being gathered from this thread as well as others. We aren't commenting because we don't have any updates on this. The dev team is extremely well aware of the input here. When we have something to announce, we'll do that.

In other words, "despite the many glitches and exploits in this game that have been brought to our attention since October, and despite the constant revenue stream we receive from microtransactions, we will not commit any of our resources to addressing any of the numerous issues with NHL 21. Just open up your wallet, preorder the NHL 22 Super Ultimate Legendary edition for $150 and hope for the best ;)"
  • Jagavekov
    154 posts Member
    aazfxx6qj1lg.gif

I was told to switch to the guy covering the cross crease, I did. I was told to "feather" the stick, I did. I was told to hold vision control, I did. Yet still, the pass goes right through me. Pass interceptions are broken.
  • Jagavekov wrote: »
    aazfxx6qj1lg.gif

I was told to switch to the guy covering the cross crease, I did. I was told to "feather" the stick, I did. I was told to hold vision control, I did. Yet still, the pass goes right through me. Pass interceptions are broken.

There's no way for us to tell if you're feathering the stick here.

Also, it appears you alternated from holding vision control to not holding vision control and in that moment the puck passes "through" you - but had you maintained vision control and held your ground in the passing lane, you would've intercepted, like so:

In that clip, I maintain vision control rather than letting go of it and spinning to face the pass receiver. Had I let go of it, the pass would've gone 'through' me, but rightfully so.
  • j0rtsu67
    630 posts Member
    This goal was the result of the other player moving their players out of position.

I guess we can all agree that nice move behind the net was the key to that goal.

And we can also agree that player controlling white team moved his players out of position.

But the question is, if he had problems with switching to the player he wanted to?

When @KidShowtime1867 made his move, opponent switched from #81 to #55, moved him out of position behind the net (that took way less than second I think). Right after that he switched (too late) to #23 and moved him out of position.

But was he trying to switch from #81 to #23 instead of #55 in first place? He had three players very close together and we all know it can be hit or miss to switch to desired player in such situation.

You make one mistake (in switching) and you're screwed.
  • Sega82mega
    3779 posts Member
    And I experience some sort of motion is best if you gonna intercept a pass.. either if you slowly gliding forward against the puck carrier or gliding backwards in same direaction as the puck carrier.

But it's definitely not easy.. And sometimes when you think your perfectly placed.. You still dont intercept the pass.

• Jagavekov
    154 posts Member
    Jagavekov wrote: »
    aazfxx6qj1lg.gif

There's no way for us to tell if you're feathering the stick here.

Also, it appears you alternated from holding vision control to not holding vision control and in that moment the puck passes "through" you - but had you maintained vision control and held your ground in the passing lane, you would've intercepted, like so:

In that clip, I maintain vision control rather than letting go of it and spinning to face the pass receiver. Had I let go of it, the pass would've gone 'through' me, but rightfully so.

There's no way to tell if I was feathering my stick, but you can tell that I didn't hold L2 the whole time?
  • Sega82mega
    3779 posts Member
    edited May 1
    Burns and the other player shows pretty good how twisted the gameplay can feel now and then.

This happens sometimes after a goal, that the gameplay some way try to sort itself out, from all the twisting, circling and turning that took place before the goal.

• xPDogg65x
    827 posts Member
    j0rtsu67 wrote: »

You make one mistake (in switching) and you're screwed.

And the player switching this year is absolutely terrible, even trying to manually pick with the stick.
  • jrago73
    692 posts Member
    Jagavekov wrote: »
    aazfxx6qj1lg.gif

I obviously think you were in position to make the play and should have but I have a few notes.

I have more success this year picking off passes when I don't use vision control.

Because last year they introduced the "not enough time to react" mechanic to defenders but not attackers I would have just assumed that play would go the way it did.

To adjust to all this nonsense my play would have been charging into the pass recipient without holding check long before the pass got there to make him stumble and stop his progress. Cheap? Yep, but so is that goal. Passive interference is the most reliable defense this year for one timers.