EA Forums - Banner

on defence, you have to "feather" your stick, don't skate too much or you deserve to get scored on

Prev1
Jagavekov
156 posts Member
2tz0968nw63k.gif

But on offence, run into the boards at high speed, stickhandle the puck with your stick in the 4th row, and its all good.

What a great game

Replies

• Jagavekov wrote: »
    2tz0968nw63k.gif

But on offence, run into the boards at high speed, stickhandle the puck with your stick in the 4th row, and its all good.

What a great game

How else are you gonna protect the puck?
  • Sega82mega
    3815 posts Member
    I hope for 22 that the boards will be the board.

It's there by a reason and makes hockey being hockey.

You should not be able to escape into the boards, it's often the last resort thats been saving alot of people, when they skate into the mystery land of the board.
  • Beauts90
    102 posts Member
    Although this looks really stupid and they definitely need to refine handling the puck around the boards, I would rather have the stick go through the boards than fumble the puck in that situation. The game just does not have enough different animations to account for shooting or handling the puck near the boards or in tight spaces for that matter. In the real world, players adjust their stick positions and don’t allow the boards to cause so many problems with the simplest of plays. Although it looks terrible to have the stick pass through the boards, unless they added animations to account for tighter spaces, I think it is much more frustration to have the boards be so disruptive of such simple plays.
  • Sega82mega
    3815 posts Member
    Im more to the opinion that this play should lead to 'fumble'.

It should be up to us to calculate with the board, if you see your about to smash it, you could either - chip away the puck before that happen - or - you could go into the 'board-play animation.

If we knew the board was bad to run into - We wouldn’t do it - but as it is now - it's a bonus - and' everyone' is doing it.
  • Beauts90 wrote: »
    Although this looks really stupid and they definitely need to refine handling the puck around the boards, I would rather have the stick go through the boards than fumble the puck in that situation. The game just does not have enough different animations to account for shooting or handling the puck near the boards or in tight spaces for that matter. In the real world, players adjust their stick positions and don’t allow the boards to cause so many problems with the simplest of plays. Although it looks terrible to have the stick pass through the boards, unless they added animations to account for tighter spaces, I think it is much more frustration to have the boards be so disruptive of such simple plays.

Same. Much easier ways to create offensive accountability than to have the boards be that intrusive.

I get your concerns, but this has to be addressed in some manner. It is 2021, there are better solutions for this than what's going on currently.

For one, running into the boards at a high speed should cause a stumble and loss of the puck. There is a slider for this offline - it doesn't require some futuristic technology that EA doesn't have access to yet. Increasing this is online play would do a lot for reducing the figure skating in the corners and puck ragging. The exact speed at which a stumble happens would have to be tested, but I think this would help, and isn't too technologically advanced for one of the biggest gaming companies in the world.

Second, I get having animations for stickhandling really close to the boards is difficult to implement, but maybe they could have it based on either the puck's speed when colliding with the boards while stickhandling, or require a button press when too close to the boards to slow down and have more control over it (protect puck makes the most sense).

The boards are essentially another defender that limits time and space in hockey, and until they have more of an effect on the puck carrier, this game will continue to be Harlem Globetrotters on ice, with barely any loose pucks and lots of players holding onto the puck for way too long.

It is 2021, EA can do better than this.

This, 100%.

When the developers were active around here a few years ago, they mentioned a time during development where they made everything live; sticks, boards, etc.

From what I recall, the developers hinted that this was an incredibly frustrating experience due to the nature in which the game is being played on a console. When the players would lose the puck the moment they interacted with the boards in any way, it would just disrupt the flow and 'fun factor' that many people have come to enjoy in the NHL series.

That being said - I do wish they would provide some type of way for people to play with settings like this to decide for themselves if they enjoy it or not.

Let the online "competitive" community stick with the run-and-gun playstyle but also allow users to run their own leagues with super-realistic simulation settings. Those are the types of players (I'm looking at you @untouchable_BF1 ) who would actually take the time to learn the adjustments required to play the game with some flow whereas introducing those types of physics in the online competitive community would cause all the kids to cry out in pain at how 'slow' and 'clunky' the gameplay is.

• Sega82mega
    3815 posts Member
    Ladies and gentleman, I present to you, the world leader and revolutionary game-engine, Frrrost and a little bit of bite at the end!

😬✊😏
  • Greyinsi
    132 posts Member
    For the very least make offensive player automatically bring his stick blade closer to his body when too close to boards. Just like you can do while stick handling. This would help poke checks going where intended.
  • The boards are always a tricky area for hockey games. I really don’t mind the clipping and agree that the flow would severely hampered. Slow acceleration down and make checking along the boards a lot more effective would be my preferred solutions to their current problems.

Way too many times do we see the boards acting like a WWE ring due to what I assume are limitations of the physics engine and bouncing/pinching the puck carrier out in a favorable position where in real life he’d more than likely be pinned or almost pinned with some severe slow down while escaping. So whatever you want to call NHL 11 era hitting (animation-based, sticky, scripted, whatever) that’s what we need more of along the boards imo, or we just need a billion note animations there plus the glass/boards need to start having a realistic “give” to them to allow these animations to properly play out rather than having the character models slam into concrete essentially, then having the inside character model shoot out because the physics engine doesn’t know what to do with said object. Idk if I’m 100% technically right, but based on other video games this is what my eyes are telling me is happening.

With all that being said, the current sliders given to us can mitigate a lot of these issues without a severe boards reworking and (or) lot of animation additions. The stumble threshold, the fall and stumble ease slider, and the puck control slider can all be used in conjunction to yield much more realistic rub outs and puck losses on small and (or) low speed hits around the boards. I think incidental contact slider can also help here based on my edits, but the first three are the main culprits imo. This combined with a lack of acceleration means the puck carrier has that much harder of a time wiggling or radically cutting out of situations that would surely lead to a dump at best, rub out and turnover at worst IRL.

I don’t think focusing on the boards clipping is the right approach here. Focus on the checking interactions along the wall, the puck control levels, the acceleration levels, and you’ll start seeing why the boards are such a frustrating spot for defense. Some may disagree, but the puck clipping through is not even on my list of “must fixes” to improve this part of the game imo.
  • Does anybody remember when you could go crashing into the boards, and the result would be falling down and sometimes even injuring yourself? However, that all goes against EA's dangle-snipe-celly thing they have going.
  • smyth9779
    224 posts Member
    No other way to stop a player with 99 speed and 99 acceleration and 99 everything. Lmao. This game is a joke. I played 2 games of online versus with a friend as teammates and it was astonishing how much the game actually felt like hockey because not everyone on there ice was overrated.
    You can't even play a game of HUT champions anymore because every team is the same. Gretzky,lemieux, Mathews Toews, Ovechkin mcdavid all overexaggerated and unstoppable.
  • smyth9779 wrote: »
    No other way to stop a player with 99 speed and 99 acceleration and 99 everything. Lmao. This game is a joke. I played 2 games of online versus with a friend as teammates and it was astonishing how much the game actually felt like hockey because not everyone on there ice was overrated.
    You can't even play a game of HUT champions anymore because every team is the same. Gretzky,lemieux, Mathews Toews, Ovechkin mcdavid all overexaggerated and unstoppable.

VS used to be an absolute blast on the 360 and PS3 back in the day. I can't play that mode much at all, or any of the modes for that matter, because for whatever reason EVERY game feels like my controller only works when it wants to. Same problem on PS5/PS4/XB1/SeriesX, so I know it isn't a controller problem. PS3 and 360 seemed to work just fine, so I'm not sure what the issue is, but the game makers don't seem to care as long as people keep buying those packs.
  • Greyinsi
    132 posts Member
    Does anybody remember when you could go crashing into the boards, and the result would be falling down and sometimes even injuring yourself? However, that all goes against EA's dangle-snipe-celly thing they have going.
    Yeah, I loved it! Shame they removed it and now we have a circus on ice.
  • Sega82mega
    3815 posts Member
    edited May 15
    I dont remember that.. Must have missed that year.. But alot of things that wasen't in the game back then but we now got - has probebly even things out.

I bealive it's like Bf1, kid, Beauts90 all are sayin, more or less... That.. : ~ The boards are always a tricky area for hockey games. I really don’t mind the clipping and agree that the flow would severely hampered ~

Unfortunately we are not in that position yet - where we can have it all.

But hopefully we get more close to the 'reality' already in 22.

Im not a big fan with this constantly driving the boards in full speed.

Feels like a thing that favour an already strong offensive side of the game.

I cant get so much bonus out of the boards as a player without the puck - in other words - when I try to defend.
  • This seems to be an EA problem in all of their sports games, especially if you've played Madden. Your WR would jump up and catch the ball through the defender's head. This has been talked to death, over a decade and EA still can't get right.
  • Beauts90
    102 posts Member
    Let the online "competitive" community stick with the run-and-gun playstyle but also allow users to run their own leagues with super-realistic simulation settings. Those are the types of players (I'm looking at you @untouchable_BF1 ) who would actually take the time to learn the adjustments required to play the game with some flow whereas introducing those types of physics in the online competitive community would cause all the kids to cry out in pain at how 'slow' and 'clunky' the gameplay is.

Although allowing us to customize sliders online would be ideal, I would be more than happy if they just had 2 options of gameplay pre-sets to choose from. I bet with feedback and testing we would be able to get a really good style of gameplay that represents a real-life simulation for those that would prefer it.
    I think I would need to see the added animations to see what would be best here. In my opinion, the play above is a pretty routine play and I don’t think they should be punished by the boards. However, if a player has to quickly bring the puck in close to their body because they are twirling or going full tilt into the boards then yeah, that should cause the puck to bobble of their stick.
  • Sega82mega
    3815 posts Member
    edited May 16
    Like in battlefield, or many other similar games - it has a option to choose from a 'hardcore' mode to play, were the focus is on people that prefer the feeling of a more realistic game experience.

*I think that crossplay is a pre-condition for this things to be possible. It such a small player-base and to spred them all around in too many game-modes would probebly not be good - but with a gather player-base with crossplay, I dont see this problem anymore. We would get bigger.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4652 posts EA Community Manager
    Jagavekov wrote: »
    2tz0968nw63k.gif

What a great game

We'll share this thread with the team, thanks.

You should still be able to fall down as a defender if you try to go for a hit at high speed. As for puck carriers I'm not sure, I've never really ran into a board at a high enough speed.

There is a slider for board impact to stumbles though if you all wanted to play around with that.
  • DinoSquadQuinn
    134 posts Member
    edited May 17
    Beauts90 wrote: »

Here's an idea for them - maybe resort to physics-based gameplay instead of animation-based.

Unless this isn't animation-based gameplay, but it sure feels like it is.

Maybe what I'm imagining is way easier said than done lol