EA Forums - Banner

HUT population

Prev134
amxblade
211 posts Member
Has everyone finally had enough of this game or what. I can barely find games to play anymore. Seems like the game population has plummeted in recent weeks.

I mean I play MLB The Show more at this point because, well it's a better game, and this is coming from someone who's a die hard hockey fan.

Replies

• amxblade wrote: »
    I can barely find games to play anymore. Seems like the game population has plummeted in recent weeks.

yes i noticed that too late at night and once at 4pm yesterday where i couldn't find an opponent and have to retry. Prices on auction house has dropped, its very hard to sell cards
  • amxblade wrote: »
    Has everyone finally had enough of this game or what. I can barely find games to play anymore. Seems like the game population has plummeted in recent weeks.

I mean I play MLB The Show more at this point because, well it's a better game, and this is coming from someone who's a die hard hockey fan.

Yeah I stopped playing hut a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't take the constant barrage of shortside glitch goals and faceoff glitch goals, it gets exhausting trying to defend them every single game in D2 and in Champs. Plus the constant self saucing and L2ing makes playing the game miserable for anyone who actually likes hockey.

• Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    Jagavekov wrote: »
    amxblade wrote: »

... makes playing the game miserable for anyone who actually likes hockey.

I understand. I quit HUT a long time ago.

But if you really into it for the hockey, I would suggest you to play onlineVS - and - only - play that way you prefer, eventually when your rank settle in - you will be able to play 'hockey' no mather how much your opponent dosent want to play hockey.

Other then that - regarding population - it's that time of the year, birds starts singing - summer is soon to be here, not so hardcore gamers/hockey fans loose intrest.

All tough onlineVS has never been any problem to find games for me.

I play the year around.
  • Jagavekov
    200 posts Member
    Sega82mega wrote: »

But if you really into it for the hockey, I would suggest you to play onlineVS - and - only - play that way you prefer, eventually when your rank settle in - you will be able to play 'hockey' no mather how much your opponent dosent want to play hockey.

Other then that - regarding population - it's that time of the year, birds starts singing - summer is soon to be here, not so hardcore gamers/hockey fans loose intrest.

I play the year around.

I actually have been playing versus lately, there is a lot less shortside bad angle goals because of the lower shooting ratings, which is nice. But there is still lots of ridiculous L2ing, behind the back backhand auto sauced no look passes, successful insanely forced cross creases, Harlem Globetrotters on ice gameplay, etc. But the gameplay is slightly better than hut for sure.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    Sega82mega wrote: »

I play the year around.

I actually have been playing versus lately, there is a lot less shortside bad angle goals because of the lower shooting ratings, which is nice. But there is still lots of ridiculous L2ing, behind the back backhand auto sauced no look passes, successful insanely forced cross creases, Harlem Globetrotters on ice gameplay, etc. But the gameplay is slightly better than hut for sure.

Yeah it is. And if they good at that type of hockey, I loose, I wont give up on my own hockey to defend thoose players, I play 'how you suppose to do' and if thats not enough, I take the loss.

So eventually you will play less skilled players - that still try to.... "L2ing, behind the back backhand auto sauced no look passes, successful insanely forced cross creases, Harlem Globetrotters on ice'... But against this less good players I can defend it and then have pretty fun with them when I get the puck.

But yeah.. Of course it's not fun to be able to compete against the best you can... But I had to make a choice.. And I choosed hockey - infront of being at the highest rank I can.. It's not worth it, not for me.
  • Quit HUT/NHL the day The Show came out. Will never go back to NHL, or any other EA game.

It's so refreshing to play a game where the developer doesn't push you to spend money.
  • I play in Europe. Very hard to find games since 2-3 weeks ago.

As population decreases, so does the quality.

Every second game or maybe third is now vs players ragging the puck , even in a rivals game. These kind of players have also put themselves in mode so other players cannot contact them.

@ EA, if I should continue to play this game every week in HUT, doing rivals and HUT champs, what are you going to do about players, stalling the game and simply wasting time as much as possible once they got a lead in a game?
    I would really like to know what your view is on this? Is it part of the game in your opinion?
  • EA_Blueberry
    4836 posts EA Community Manager
    @mturesson

We've had discussions on ragging in the past. Last we heard, the team does not see ragging as a widespread issue right now as there strategies in game to help combat it. We've all experienced it before, including myself, and I'm not going to argue that it isn't frustrating. On the other hand, when I'm down a goal towards the end of the game, I can only blame myself for putting myself in that position. In a highly competitive mode with rewards on the line, you must know players will do what it takes to increase their chances of getting better items for their team.
  • Tried now for 5 mins to get a game in rivals… I am in div 2. Evening time should be peak time.

What are you doing to increase the population in HUT mode right now?

And why not fix broken things like ”puck ragging” to improve the game and keep the population in it?

A simple, ”block player” option would be ideal.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited May 2021
    mturesson wrote: »

So it will take even longer to find a game?

HUT vs summer outside - it's a tough game to win.

Can't direct blame it on EA - or could we..? 🤔
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    mturesson wrote: »

So it will take even longer to find a game?

Wouldnt you like ot in this case? 🤓
  • amxblade
    211 posts Member
    You know what, not gonna lie, with the state that this game is in, I will purposely rag the puck from time to time. When I play someone who's entire game is glitch, spam and exploit, why is it wrong to rag the puck on them? If they want to play that kind of game which isn't fun, why shouldn't I make the game no fun for them?

Say what you will, but if someone wants to play like that and ruin the game, why shouldn't I be able to do the same back? An eye for an eye I'd say.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    You know what, not gonna lie, with the state that this game is in, I will purposely rag the puck from time to time. When I play someone who's entire game is glitch, spam and exploit, why is it wrong to rag the puck on them? If they want to play that kind of game which isn't fun, why shouldn't I make the game no fun for them?

Say what you will, but if someone wants to play like that and ruin the game, why shouldn't I be able to do the same back? An eye for an eye I'd say.

Thats honesty I like.

And I think your not alone of doing that.

In some aspects I see no wrong in ragging the puck - the possibility is there - both to rag and to break loose the puck.

But if we gonna start to discuss it from a fair-play perspective - it's not a 'nice' way to win - but on another hand, who really cares about that, as long as we are winning? 🤔
  • EA_Aljo
    3229 posts EA Community Manager

What goals are glitches exactly? Everything can be defended. It's up to you if you want to rag, but if you're against this style of play, you're only promoting it. I haven't come across a way to score yet that is dependent on a glitch. If you're talking about high percentage shots like the short side wrister, that can be defended. When it comes to spam, I assume you're talking about the poke check. You can avoid pokes by protecting the puck or passing. Again, it's up to you if you want to rag, but using the reason that it counters glitch goals and spam isn't a very good one. It still comes down to the win at all costs mentality that runs rampant in competitive online games.
  • @mturesson

We've had discussions on ragging in the past. Last we heard, the team does not see ragging as a widespread issue right now as there strategies in game to help combat it. We've all experienced it before, including myself, and I'm not going to argue that it isn't frustrating. On the other hand, when I'm down a goal towards the end of the game, I can only blame myself for putting myself in that position. In a highly competitive mode with rewards on the line, you must know players will do what it takes to increase their chances of getting better items for their team.

Wait what? On this other thread you said the team was working on ways to deal with ragging:
    https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/269476/what-is-ea-doing-to-combat-puck-ragging

Has that been abandoned? Are you saying we there will be no improvement is this area for NHL 22?

Also, which strategies are you referring to? I feel like I've tried them all, and haven't found one that really helps combatting raggers.
  • Just played 3 games in a row with opponent getting an odd goal lead then puck ragging non stop.

Devs should re-evaluate their idea of a balanced fun gameplay
  • EA_Blueberry
    4836 posts EA Community Manager
    @MikeyAU630

The latest response on that post implied they are aware of these concerns. There hasn't been any official mention by the team on making changes around ragging. What is possible though, that through other game design changes or additions, a side effect could result in seeing it less. We've had plenty of discussions on this in these forums throughout the year, including great suggestions. Even the development team and Game Changers have spitballed ideas on how to reduce it.

Sharing moments where a team ragged the puck on a post while being open to advice on what should have been done under that scenario can help give some perspective on what to do for future games, if that is something you're open to.
  • @mturesson

Strategies to counter it….!?

Off course you can chase the puck carrier until they make a mistake. But considering how easy it is to get penalties due to poke checks in NHL21 ( comparing with previous versions ) it is also quite likely that you poke too much and concede a penalty yourself

Also the problem is not low skilled players stalling the game with skating backwards to their own zone all the time. Its the somewhat skilled players who will try very hard to get a cross creese pass ( Also too overpowered in this years edition ) in early. Once they get the lead, they will start ragging, also in such a way to try and lure opponents to concede penalties.

The so called elite players when streaming their content also have problem puck raggers. Its a flaw and should habe been fixed ages ago.

In your reply, you neglect this unsportmanlike behaviour because it not frequent enough. Well it all depends on who is at the other end. Playing vs puck ragging opponents can only hurt the game and the community.

From a dev perspective - It all depends on how well you want something to be, how high your demands are and what you may ignore. Is there any downside by resolving the puck ragging issue? I cannnot think of any.

Read the following line a couple of times and think again.

”Lets pure skill be the deciding factor in your game.”

The reason I play NHL series is because it requires skill, timing etc. Why not improve that?
  • amxblade
    211 posts Member
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

What goals are glitches exactly? Everything can be defended. It's up to you if you want to rag, but if you're against this style of play, you're only promoting it. I haven't come across a way to score yet that is dependent on a glitch. If you're talking about high percentage shots like the short side wrister, that can be defended. When it comes to spam, I assume you're talking about the poke check. You can avoid pokes by protecting the puck or passing. Again, it's up to you if you want to rag, but using the reason that it counters glitch goals and spam isn't a very good one. It still comes down to the win at all costs mentality that runs rampant in competitive online games.

Lol that's your response? Everything is defendable? Of course it is, it doesn't take away from the fact that they go in at a very high percentage that isn't realistic. Whether it be the cross crease, the short side or the NHL 94 slot goal, yes they're all defendable but when they go in 90% of the time, why is that? One time ok, but why isn't the goalie AI going "hmmm he's done this 17 times already, you know what I'm just gonna move here cause I know where it's going"

This is the problem I have with EA right now. Rather than coming up with a way to fix these issues that the community brings up, all we get are, we know it exists but hey...... It's defendable and if you want to see changes uh.......... Buy next year's game and maybe we'll fix it (we have no intention of fixing it).

Does it not concern the Devs or EA that the NHL community is dwindling or that every social media platform that they use is constantly bombarded with comments of how poor the game is? Just take a look at every time you guys post the "goals of the week". This is not the game people have asked for.
  • EA_Aljo
    3229 posts EA Community Manager
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

Lol that's your response? Everything is defendable? Of course it is, it doesn't take away from the fact that they go in at a very high percentage that isn't realistic. Whether it be the cross crease, the short side or the NHL 94 slot goal, yes they're all defendable but when they go in 90% of the time, why is that? One time ok, but why isn't the goalie AI going "hmmm he's done this 17 times already, you know what I'm just gonna move here cause I know where it's going"

This is the problem I have with EA right now. Rather than coming up with a way to fix these issues that the community brings up, all we get are, we know it exists but hey...... It's defendable and if you want to see changes uh.......... Buy next year's game and maybe we'll fix it (we have no intention of fixing it).

Does it not concern the Devs or EA that the NHL community is dwindling or that every social media platform that they use is constantly bombarded with comments of how poor the game is? Just take a look at every time you guys post the "goals of the week". This is not the game people have asked for.

Yes. They go in at a high percentage. If you're going to let someone walk into the slot and get a good shot off, it's going to have a higher chance of going in. We all need to recognize repeated patterns of play so we can stop those shots before they're taken. I'm not saying this doesn't get frustrating at times. Even though you may shut down every attempt at the same shot over and over again, it doesn't make for the most fun. I just wouldn't combat someone exploiting the game with another exploit. Ragging is a very unsportsmanlike way to play. It's unfortunate to see people doing that because they have a difficult time stopping repeated shots from high percentage scoring areas.