EA Forums - Banner

Stop lying to yourselves, cross crease is trash

Replies

• Greyinsi
    130 posts Member
    We use Normal/Collapsing/Protect Net strategies in eashl. 4players RD AI. How come the AI is the first on offensive zone and last on home when we need to defend? We have tried different strats but none seems to keep the AI conservative. It’s not every game, but it’s like it’s randomized for game to game how AI plays according to strategies.
  • Sega82mega
    3794 posts Member
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Nice to hear Bf1. I know you know your AI.

Because 99% have tryed to cross crease me all year long - I see no other option then to build a wall of meat infront of my own net.

If they gonna cross crease me - at least they got to work for it.

In online versus I’ve been using high pressure defence. I like how they challenge the puck carrier - so it allows me to focus on the guy in front of the net. Sometimes I switch it back and forth to protect net occasionally to give my opponents different looks. But I like how on high pressure take away space and I can back check until they enter the zone and take over my Dman- force em to the outside - my AI pressures, as I put my Dman in his position and then choose the pressure man to try snd cause a turn over. I can’t do this with protect net.

👍

Sounds good!

I also been trying high pressure from times to times - im thinking, everyone like to play with as good protection infront of the net as they can - beacuse the fear of cross creases. So people are probebly kinda use to face the most common strategies.

Just by that I sometimes like to switch up and change places on my players in my own zone - might confuse my opponent's abit.

But I often fall back to some sort of collapse infront of the net/protect the net.
  • Sega82mega
    3794 posts Member
    edited May 26
    Greyinsi wrote: »
    We use Normal/Collapsing/Protect Net strategies in eashl. 4players RD AI. How come the AI is the first on offensive zone and last on home when we need to defend? We have tried different strats but none seems to keep the AI conservative. It’s not every game, but it’s like it’s randomized for game to game how AI plays according to strategies.

And I think the A.I in this year game is far more conservative then ever before.

But I agree, I want them to be able to play even more passive.

It's a must - If you like to build your success in the form of a strong defense.

(I often have to battle to hold my AI back)
  • jrago73
    694 posts Member
    Greyinsi wrote: »

Probably because in my experiences if any human gets even a millimeter behind the ai in eashl he goes into cover mode and becomes a forward.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1731 posts Member
    edited May 26
    Here's a goal I scored last night - another instance where the A.I. abandons a player in close proximity to the net.

CqlssXF.gif

IMO - TOR#23 is initially looking to cover a potential pass from WPG#13 to WPG#27:

P5amvDw.png

WPG#13 performs a turn, which seems to cause TOR#23 to stop dead in his tracks:

iW8keFU.png

TOR#23 then has to turn around and burst with speed to cover the wide open player who he seemingly forgot about

rmgbtgH.png

I believe one of the major issues with the A.I. right now is their decision making process doesn't seem to adjust for the best route to take to their mission.

Rather than stop, lose speed and momentum - then attempt to go from a stop to full speed, the A.I. should've taken this route:

XLcppZh.png

or stuck with his man:

O0u93wl.png

This would've cut off the cross-crease for sure.

• Sega82mega
    3794 posts Member
    It's about these fast sharp turns that makes the A.I a little bit behind. Or if it makes it more difficult for the A.I to 'read' the play. He probebly didn't act to that play.. He thought something else was coming.
  • Greyinsi
    130 posts Member
    jrago73 wrote: »
    Probably because in my experiences if any human gets even a millimeter behind the ai in eashl he goes into cover mode and becomes a forward.

Yeah, well the AI has made coast to coast from behind our own net, and it was set to conservative 😂. Won't respond to any 'ask passes' either...
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    Nice to hear Bf1. I know you know your AI.

Because 99% have tryed to cross crease me all year long - I see no other option then to build a wall of meat infront of my own net.

If they gonna cross crease me - at least they got to work for it.

In online versus I’ve been using high pressure defence. I like how they challenge the puck carrier - so it allows me to focus on the guy in front of the net. Sometimes I switch it back and forth to protect net occasionally to give my opponents different looks. But I like how on high pressure take away space and I can back check until they enter the zone and take over my Dman- force em to the outside - my AI pressures, as I put my Dman in his position and then choose the pressure man to try snd cause a turn over. I can’t do this with protect net.

I used high pressure online in 19-20 as well. It takes some time and space away from the user and if you’re good at knowing what your opponent is wants to do, it’s easily the best option.

I was adding my anecdote to provide evidence as to what the AI does. On too high of settings without humans dialing them back, they are way too over-aggressive. Complete reckless abandon all over the place lol.
  • To use Kid’s clip to reference, this is why we need a dedicated man-to-man strategy. It would help the AI immensely. That being said, I didn’t mind the “panic” there as the passing lane he tried to recover into was pretty open, could definitely see that happening IRL.

One thing to note that would’ve prevented this whole play though, and that is the AI finishing the check on the initial cycle in the left corner. He finishes that check, this play doesn’t happen.
  • Sega82mega
    3794 posts Member
    hjonbm4353nn.jpg

Never underestimated the power of the + crease... Never.... If you don't know that by now.

And oh... Practice power-play too...

😄
  • IceLion68
    1575 posts Member
    Ouch. Online VS I presume?
  • Sega82mega
    3794 posts Member
    IceLion68 wrote: »

Hehe Yup.. But I dont reeeeally mind, I know my playstyle ain't gonna give me alot of goals. But at least I gets to have fun with the puck and try diffrent shots.

But the goalies ain't messing around - on 'ordinary' shots.

I understand why people go so hard for one-timers.

Hehe Yup.. But I dont reeeeally mind, I know my playstyle ain't gonna give me alot of goals. But at least I gets to have fun with the puck and try diffrent shots.

Yes, the goalies are way too perfect on good shooting opportunities that aren’t “glitch” shots. It removes all incentive to get pucks on net from the slot. There’s a reason this meta is boring and predictable because there’s only a few ways to actually score with any sort of consistency.

I’ve managed to mitigate this feeling via global attribute edits but something under the hood or tuner wise needs to get figured out in the future because I shouldn’t have to make my goalies literally the minimum rating (36) of glove high and blocker high to start seeing a realistic amount of high shots beating goalies from good to great scoring opportunities.
  • Sega82mega
    3794 posts Member
    edited May 26

Yes, the goalies are way too perfect on good shooting opportunities that aren’t “glitch” shots. It removes all incentive to get pucks on net from the slot. There’s a reason this meta is boring and predictable because there’s only a few ways to actually score with any sort of consistency.

I’ve managed to mitigate this feeling via global attribute edits but something under the hood or tuner wise needs to get figured out in the future because I shouldn’t have to make my goalies literally the minimum rating (36) of glove high and blocker high to start seeing a realistic amount of high shots beating goalies from good to great scoring opportunities.

Yeah I agree. First mission is to avoid being poke spammed in the o-zone - and then when you dodge that first threat you then need to take the goalie on...

You can play a pretty aggressive defense cause the goalie often save the day.

It's the wrong type of players that gets encourage to keep doing what they do.. Cause there is no really harm innit.

At least - let us pick up some rebounds in the corner - so you can continue to push - but this often ends up in opposite CPU hands...

Yeah I agree. First mission is to avoid being poke spammed in the o-zone - and then when you dodge that first threat you then need to take the goalie on...

You can play a pretty aggressive defense cause the goalie often save the day.

It's the wrong type of players that gets encourage to keep doing what they do.. Cause there is no really harm innit.

At least - let us pick up some rebounds in the corner - so you can continue to push - but this often ends up in opposite CPU hands...

The offensive AI is way too quick to bail on chances and pressure imo. That’s half the reason scoring scrambles and rebounds is hard + maintaining a forecheck is near impossible, there’s simply nobody interested in doing any of these things lol.