2Next

Replies

• KidShowtime1867
    1734 posts Member
    edited June 2
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    The servers "being there already" doesn't mean they can just throw HUT on there as well with no change in data center capacity without impacting performance.

You can absolutely leverage dynamic infrastructure in AWS/AZURE so that new VM's are fired up with the specific goal of not impacting performance of the web app you're hosting.

A process which changes their data center capacity, with an accompanying cost.

But does not impact performance - if executed properly.

And the capacity may already be there infrastructure-wise. There also may be an SLA in play that allows increased capacity/performance on AWS/Azure without a bump in cost.

In any case, whatever it is they're doing - they need to cover more regions with less latency in the dedicated server department.
    You seem to be argumentative for it's own sake here.

The only point I was making is that server infrastructure to accommodate hosting an entire game mode for potentially thousands of users doesn't just materialize out of thin air with zero effort and zero cost... or are you literally saying that is false?

lmao good grief I never once said these thing materialize out of thin air with zero effort and zero cost I was just pointing out industry standard SLA's usually have allotments for this type of work.

It's clear neither of us know the intricacies of EA's server infrastructure so let's just leave it at that.

Post edited by KidShowtime1867 on
  • Socair wrote: »
    Socair wrote: »
    Well it was moved to servers because P2P connections are easily manipulated unfortunately. Still, there are people who prefer the P2P connections because they can get a better ping against players in their region if a server isn’t present.

Understood, but this is true of ALL P2P modes (in all games) including Versus... so it remains to be explained why HUT is server-based and Versus is not.
    Well HUT is more popular for one, so the greater player base is going to get priority. Also the servers were in place for EASHL already so it’s not like HUT revenue mattered. As I said, there’s a fair amount of players who don’t like server gameplay, so maybe keeping versus P2P is intentional for that reason.

So EA is cool then with all that "manipulation" existing in its Versus mode because why???

I think everyone should go back and read the announcement EA posted on these forums when HUT was switched over, explaining in no uncertain terms how vastly superior dedicated servers are to P2P in just about every way. I asked then why Versus also had not been moved over, and then asked again long thereafter, to no avail... So, apologies Socair, but they lost the benefit of the doubt long ago. If the answer is innocuous, why do they hide it? Even the mods here are left to just speculate. I don't get it. Is EA going for its third "Worst Company in the World" title (yes that is real look it up)???
  • Greyinsi
    132 posts Member
    I think the only reason for Versus not being on server is to drive people to HUT.
  • Greyinsi wrote: »
    I think the only reason for Versus not being on server is to drive people to HUT.

I don't think EA purposely makes other modes crap to drive people to HUT.. people just seem to love that mode
  • IceLion68
    1575 posts Member
    Greyinsi wrote: »

I don't think EA purposely makes other modes crap to drive people to HUT.. people just seem to love that mode

Agreed. I think EA has demonstrated that they are OK with simply removing game modes. If they truly wanted to "drive people to HUT", they would probably just remove VS.

I think what people miss is that it's not necessarily a trivial task to simply "move a game mode" to server based. I mean the effort involved depends on how things are coded, but it's not just a matter of "flipping a bit".
  • IceLion68
    1575 posts Member

So EA is cool then with all that "manipulation" existing in its Versus mode because why???

It's the proverbial elephant in the room. I think @Follisimo has pretty much nailed it: HUT people pay extra to play so they get extra consideration, but no one wants to just come out and say admit this officially in public.
  • Sega82mega
    3816 posts Member
    edited June 2
    HUT - is - a fun mode, especially in theory.

Got alot of fun, addictive moments innit.

What I dont like is that the attributes seems to go through the roof and pretty much destroy the so called 'balance' in that game mode.

The speed feels like a parody, to name one thing.

But the team building is lovely, and also fun with 'small tournaments'/HUT champ and trying to climb in divisions outside of that.
  • Sega82mega
    3816 posts Member
    edited June 8
    172ni02kcgb5.jpg

I think I never gonna understand what the ping does for the game.

This game was the best I played - shots and rebounds and skating/dekes - it all add up.

And all this in a game were I had ~150 ms at a point.

How is that? 🧐
  • My problem is that the game feels fine most nights -- I don't get the best ping (usually 50s or so), but everything feels pretty smooth. Then I'll have the odd night where it feels like I'm fighting uphill. My team feels slower, I'm late on faceoffs (not a problem any night), if my opponents stick is anywhere near mine when I pass it gets deflected but I can't poke check or deflect/intercept passes at all. I had won 13 of 14 the last few nights, played last night and couldn't even keep my games close against players with similar CRs that I had done so well against. Happens to me like once a week or so. Is this a thing? It is all in my head?
  • EA_Aljo
    3061 posts EA Community Manager
    xmjm424x wrote: »
    My problem is that the game feels fine most nights -- I don't get the best ping (usually 50s or so), but everything feels pretty smooth. Then I'll have the odd night where it feels like I'm fighting uphill. My team feels slower, I'm late on faceoffs (not a problem any night), if my opponents stick is anywhere near mine when I pass it gets deflected but I can't poke check or deflect/intercept passes at all. I had won 13 of 14 the last few nights, played last night and couldn't even keep my games close against players with similar CRs that I had done so well against. Happens to me like once a week or so. Is this a thing? It is all in my head?

Since Online Versus uses a peer to peer connection, it's very possible you're feeling your opponent's connection. If you haven't power cycled your console, modem and router in a while, it would be good to do so. Also, are you playing on a wired or wireless connection?
  • > @EA_Aljo said:
    > Since Online Versus uses a peer to peer connection, it's very possible you're feeling your opponent's connection. If you haven't power cycled your console, modem and router in a while, it would be good to do so. Also, are you playing on a wired or wireless connection?

Wired. I'll have to do that with the router.

It's weird... I've always chalked it up to having a bad night/being sloppy but noticing I was late on, like, 50% of face offs makes me wonder. The weird thing is when it happens, it seems to happen the entire night. It could well all be in my head and I'm just having a bad night since I have no idea how any of that works.
  • Greyinsi
    132 posts Member
    I think it’s the games lag compensation that can make game feel like “out of sync”. I have played ping low as 2ms quite often and games can feel slooow and like your opponent, AI included is always couple frames ahead.
  • Greyinsi wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    What do you mean by manipulation? I only play onlineVS and of course my ping is up and down from game to game.

You can easily limit your upload / download speed depending if you are host or not. The other player will have severe lag, and/or his AI is unable to act. Thats just one thing you can do, there are dozen other shady methods you can influence the outcome of game. If OVP would be played on server, this wouldn't be such an issue, and you could actually punish players trying to manipulate connection.

Other thing the server would fix is if P2P host has poor router, usually the cheapest you get from ISP. I have played as low as 2ms ping but the game was in slow motion. All the routers just aren't up for hosting fast online games.

Oooooh this explains the “random” times I’d go up on a guy and it seems to suddenly get laggy.
  • Sega82mega
    3816 posts Member
    It would be really interesting try to play with only 2ms.

Wouldn it be a new game? Better? Worse... I dont know, but I would like to try and see...
  • Greyinsi
    132 posts Member

Wouldn it be a new game? Better? Worse... I dont know, but I would like to try and see...

It sounds good, but nothing is what you expect with this game 😅 I have played against my friend few blocks away with ping lower than 10ms, and he with 25ms. Maybe he has different route to me, lag compensation kick in and game becomes a crisp nightmare to play. Atleast thats the speculation what happens with connection.
  • EA_Aljo
    3061 posts EA Community Manager
    Greyinsi wrote: »

It sounds good, but nothing is what you expect with this game 😅 I have played against my friend few blocks away with ping lower than 10ms, and he with 25ms. Maybe he has different route to me, lag compensation kick in and game becomes a crisp nightmare to play. Atleast thats the speculation what happens with connection.

There are a lot of things that can affect connection speeds. Your friend could be lower due to being wireless or it may have to do with the traffic on his network. It could be related to their hardware or settings on their router. There are many different variables that can cause differences in connection. Even when they are only a few blocks away. Still, 25ms is a great connection regardless. I don't think you're really going to notice a 15ms difference when both are so low.
  • What confuses me the most it is so random... like @Sega82mega said in his post and @Greyinsi in his post, it feels and seems that ping can be whatever and has zero relationship to your gameplay experience...
  • Sega82mega
    3816 posts Member
    edited June 16
    Yup correct jortsu.

I think its a difference between how smooth the gameplay goes and how responsive it feels.

With low ping your probebly never gonna experience any choppy gameplay but you might be able to experience 'some type of lag' that makes it feel slow in reaction.

Meanwhile high ping can be really choppy - almost some 'stops' here and there - but the overall feeling can be really responsive.

As I said in that post - where the lag was high and the 'picture' was from time - really bad - but other from that - everything was perfect - the timing in everything that happen was 100% accurate.

If I could - I would choose to play like that every game - instead of 10ms without any errors but with 'other stuff' that dosent give me the same timing.

*But it's true - I find no real logic innit.

If the 'connection bar' is 'red' - I almost get my hopes up - cause its with 'red' I absolutely played my best games - considering the feeling - but red has also been my worst.