EA Forums - Banner

Why does this still happen?

Prev1
You play RW, goalies decide to fight and RW is on the bench for 5 mins...

This has been happening for years so why does it continue? People supposedly want more users playing instead of AI players, so instead of putting one of the AI players on the bench for 5mins let's put RW who didn't even fight, punish him for playing our game for 5 mins and will put another AI player out there instead....

The logic of this just doesn't even make sense, why put more computer players on the ice to play instead?

Replies

• The easy solution to this was to have the player serve his own five minutes, while his avatar became AI controlled. I have no clue why this isn't a thing yet
  • EA_Aljo
    3213 posts EA Community Manager
    twhite1387 wrote: »
    The easy solution to this was to have the player serve his own five minutes, while his avatar became AI controlled. I have no clue why this isn't a thing yet

The problem with this is that a human goalie could fight repeatedly so that an AI goalie replaces them. This could be abused pretty easily.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    The easy solution to this was to have the player serve his own five minutes, while his avatar became AI controlled. I have no clue why this isn't a thing yet

The problem with this is that a human goalie could fight repeatedly so that an AI goalie replaces them. This could be abused pretty easily.

How is it better to allow the human goalie to fight repeatedly and force some other shmuck to sit in the penalty box?

I've never understood why goalie fighting is even in the game. I've never seen it serve any purpose other than trolling or done for a laugh between friends as part of a larger group. What would be the major loss if it was just removed?

Yeah so punish the RW then.

Great logic! 😏

Just remove goalie fighting. It serves no purpose and only creates a way of trolling. To go even further remove goalies from the game that go beyond a few feet from their crease except when they go to their bench on a delayed penalty or when pulled for an extra attacker very late in a period or game.

How about limiting them from fighting multiple times? Pretty easy fix.

There are an overwhelming number of unnecessary things that EA prioritizes over quality of play. What do goalie fights have to do with hockey?
  • belair_col wrote: »
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

There are an overwhelming number of unnecessary things that EA prioritizes over quality of play. What do goalie fights have to do with hockey?

Or at least maximum of one fight per game. A second one gets you booted.
  • EA_Aljo
    3213 posts EA Community Manager
    edited June 28
    belair_col wrote: »

Goalie fights were added several years ago. I don't think they've been worked on since so I don't see how that has been prioritized over the many gameplay updates since. Regardless, I definitely get how frustrating they can be. I'll pass on the feedback for you.

This is very fair. Goalie fights are rare to begin with so I think this would be a great addition. Thanks for the feedback!

Goalie fights were added several years ago. I don't think they've been worked on since so I don't see how that has been prioritized over the many gameplay updates since. Regardless, I definitely get how frustrating they can be. I'll pass on the feedback for you.

This is very fair. Goalie fights are rare to begin with so I think this would be a great addition. Thanks for the feedback!

Just get rid of them. They serve absolutely no purpose in the game other then to give trolls a way to troll.

Honestly there is no part of that to be "abused"...the only thing they're doing is punishing themselves by repeatedly fighting. Because last I checked you can exploit AI goalies in this game left and right with extremely minimal effort. Have it count against their stats too. Like they physically serve the penalty, but their avatar is now AI.
  • IceLion68
    1624 posts Member

Easy solution: the AI goalie is a backup with terrible stats.
    Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • IceLion68 wrote: »

So punish the skaters because their goalie trolls. No.
  • IceLion68
    1624 posts Member
    IceLion68 wrote: »

I am simply saying this is an easy solution to the abuse of the goalie taking fights to sub in an OP AI goalie.

MY solution would be either
    1) not allow goalie fights at all
    2) eject goalie after second fight attempt

It's totally unfair that Blue has to sit EVERY time
  • IceLion68
    1624 posts Member

TBH though - This just sounds like nonsense, I can't imagine anyone using this as an exploit.

Eliminating human controlled goalies in drop-ins would do the trick. Those skaters are already being punished by having a human who's wasting everybody's time being a child. I'll take a trash AI over an average human goalie any day in drops. The other team will still score on them the same few ways anyways.

Eliminating human controlled goalies in drop-ins would do the trick. Those skaters are already being punished by having a human who's wasting everybody's time being a child. I'll take a trash AI over an average human goalie any day in drops. The other team will still score on them the same few ways anyways.

That’s not fair to those like myself that play G in drop ins.

Just eliminate the goalies ability to fight! Problem solved.
  • belair_col
    110 posts Member
    edited July 3

That’s not fair to those like myself that play G in drop ins.

Just eliminate the goalies ability to fight! Problem solved.
    Now we only have the problem of goalies who intentionally give up goals to deal with. I like playing 6s. Good goalies add a fun element to the game. But more often than not in drops, they're trolls.
  • IceLion68
    1624 posts Member

This idea is utter (and selfish) nonsense. Completely eliminate playing goalie in drop ins? Might as well just eliminate the position from the game completely.

The REAL solution is:
    1. Implement antigriefing measures: not only for goalies but also for players who let too many breakaways: half the time goalies start trolling because people play trash defense.
    2. Fix the goalie mechanics and animations
    3. Remove goalie fighting

This idea is utter (and selfish) nonsense. Completely eliminate playing goalie in drop ins? Might as well just eliminate the position from the game completely.

The REAL solution is:
    1. Implement antigriefing measures: not only for goalies but also for players who let too many breakaways: half the time goalies start trolling because people play trash defense.

The funny thing about this is an individual person's perception of what 'bad defense' actually is.
    There are vast variety of causes of DZ breakdowns and I've seen countless players whine about poor defense when they're the primary cause of countless turnovers. There's absolutely no good reasoning to troll games. It wastes everyone's time and it ruins the game for everyone, talking about being selfish.

EA needs to implement it's RP in a manner that doesn't depend solely on W/L. The game should be able to gauge whether a player's actions are helping or hindering a team's ability to win games. That system should root out the majority of the 'trolls' in the community who play their position poorly.

The biggest problem EA has with this game mode is that it doesn't teach players how to be good at it. And in anonymous drop on lobbies it has no tools to hold individuals accountable for how they play. And then there's the AI.

The REAL solution is:

The funny thing about this is an individual person's perception of what 'bad defense' actually is.
    There are vast variety of causes of DZ breakdowns and I've seen countless players whine about poor defense when they're the primary cause of countless turnovers. There's absolutely no good reasoning to troll games. It wastes everyone's time and it ruins the game for everyone, talking about being selfish.

EA needs to implement it's RP in a manner that doesn't depend solely on W/L. The game should be able to gauge whether a player's actions are helping or hindering a team's ability to win games. That system should root out the majority of the 'trolls' in the community who play their position poorly.

The biggest problem EA has with this game mode is that it doesn't teach players how to be good at it. And in anonymous drop on lobbies it has no tools to hold individuals accountable for how they play. And then there's the AI.

If I could smash like/agree a million times, I would. If someone scores all three goals in a 4-3 OT loss...they should not lose 500RP, or whatever the entirely arbitrary number is. I think it should still be static. 350 for a win(Bumped to 450 if your team play grade was A- or better), and -350 for a loss(dropped to 250 if your team play grade was A- or over). Or at least have it performance based...
  • Totally agree.

I shouldn’t be losing RP when I myself play a great game but my team loses because of a troll or a couple really bad players. It’s very frustrating and sometimes makes me not want to play. It’s also sometimes counter productive because I’ll alter my play to do what we it takes to win some games. Like sometimes as a RW I’ll takeover playing D if my D sucks or I won’t pass to my other winger if I know there is a 99% chance they’ll turn it over at the blue line or in the offensive zone.

The game should reward those that play well positionally and make good plays offensively and defensively.