EA Forums - Banner

Forward Thinking (NHL 22 and Beyond)

Replies

• jrago73
    746 posts Member
    IceLion68 wrote: »
    That's what *I* am saying yes. And not just what you have proposed: using anything as a matchmaking tool due to the population being so small is going to either potentially limit the already small player pool or have no discernable effect.

I hadn't realized the pool for drop-ins had dropped to those levels. Club games use RP as a matchmaking parameter and the player pool seems large enough to allow for it. At least on PS4/5 in "prime time" hours.

Ice had it pretty much right.

Cod does this but they have a bazillion players queuing up at any given time. The nhl series has had a dwindling population and its more noticeable on xbox because ps4 "won" last generation so there are more players on ps4. I literally recognize about 1/4 of names in the central/east dropin lobbies now. Also with all the added online game modes the community has been splintered even more. Now maybe cut that in half too if the xsx/ps5 crowds are incompatible with xb1/ps4 crowd.

But I have no problem with the concept. I would love for newblits/casuals to play each other and skilled/experienced players to play each other in dropins. Those of us old enough to have played this for NHL10-13ish (the "golden days") will remember joining lobbies and setting up games like this daily and it was great fun.
  • Hopefully year 4 of flat brims and chewing mouthguards can get some new players for WoC and it’s 28 distinct modes within the mode, otherwise the playerbase is going to be miserably low across two generations and 50+ combined ways to play.
  • djneohockey
    732 posts Member
    edited July 17
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    A sample from the HyperMotion in action..

Spoild Fifa fans.... 😡😥

What makes you hyped in this footage exactly?
  • Sega82mega wrote: »

Spoild Fifa fans.... 😡😥

Nothing really - but just to know it's HyperMotion their using (which I bealive is a pretty cool technology to use) - makes me ofc abit jealous.

But the clip itself - dosent say that much. I agree to that.

Spoild Fifa fans.... 😡😥

Nothing really - but just to know it's HyperMotion their using (which I bealive is a pretty cool technology to use) - makes me ofc abit jealous.

Interesting.
    Curious to know what makes you believe its cool technology tho? Nothing in that trailer makes it look nor feel like a different game from the old games.
    Is it the term that just sounds cool to you? Is that it or am I missing something?
  • Sega82mega
    4205 posts Member
    edited July 17
    "machine learning technology to make the experience real and smooth. The HyperMotion technology clubbed with the machine learning technology observes more than 8.7 million frames of advanced match capture, copies the same to make every move more lifelike"

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/fifa-22-what-is-hypermotion

Probebly better then Ignite... 🙄
  • jrago73
    746 posts Member

Spoild Fifa fans.... 😡😥

Interesting.
    Curious to know what makes you believe its cool technology tho? Nothing in that trailer makes it look nor feel like a different game from the old games.
    Is it the term that just sounds cool to you? Is that it or am I missing something?

Its a combo of Sega82mega being super optimistic and ea marketing saying nice words.
  • Sega82mega
    4205 posts Member
    Okey - maybe I should say - HyperMotion probebly suck - I hope EA hockey stick to ignite for the rest of our lifes.

Cause what can be better then that?
  • Follisimo
    1307 posts Member
    Okey - maybe I should say - HyperMotion probebly suck - I hope EA hockey stick to ignite for the rest of our lifes.

You be you. If you are excited about the game possibly getting a bit better in the future then be that way.

Doesn't matter, probably the same marketing person came up with both terms anyway 😀
  • Sega82mega
    4205 posts Member
    edited July 17
    Follisimo wrote: »

You be you. If you are excited about the game possibly getting a bit better in the future then be that way.

For me it's pretty obvious that the artificiell intelligent is taking huge steps year by year - I think thats the future in many areas in society.

Not least in the gaming world - HyperMotion is a new gameplay technology, where the new system promise a more tactical AI.

That sounds - If not great - at least good, in my ears.

I dont think it will get worse - even if the HyperMotion only live up to half of the expectations.

Im not even try to be super optimistic - I try to be realistic, and not too hurt by the past - I choose to look forward.

What do you think - yourself, Follisimo, are the future looking bright from your side of the table?

• jrago73
    746 posts Member

Lol you be you dude. I like your optimism just explaining it is all.

I've dealt with EA marketing on enough games over the years that their words mean nothing to me anymore. Just white noise to ignore until I get hands on the actual product and form an opinion on it.

Maybe things will get better but worst case scenario is its bad in different ways, at least it's a change.
  • Sega82mega
    4205 posts Member
    edited July 17
    jrago73 wrote: »

Lol you be you dude. I like your optimism just explaining it is all.

I've dealt with EA marketing on enough games over the years that their words mean nothing to me anymore. Just white noise to ignore until I get hands on the actual product and form an opinion on it.

Maybe things will get better but worst case scenario is its bad in different ways, at least it's a change.

Yeah your probebly right - I sometimes take 'being optimistic' the wrong way, like I come from out of space- maybe I do... As long as we all happy - or at least fine - with who we are, thats all that mather.

Go EA!

😏
    For me it's pretty obvious that the artificiell intelligent is taking huge steps year by year - I think thats the future in many areas in society.

I would disagree that the ai has taken huge steps the last couple of years. Unless you just mean generally speaking in the world, then yes for sure it has.
    I think that they said 80% of madden players play against the ai. Wonder what that value is For NHL and if it’s high enough that it’s something they will spend more time on.
    It is good to hear that you are optimistic For NHL 22 as I actually am too. The last couple of years the games have greatly improved in my opinion with NHL 21 kinda of being an exception for a few reasons.
    Whether they like to admit it or not, they abandoned 21 pretty quickly and one can only hope it was to make sure 22 was the best game it could be going into next gen.
  • I am not optimistic with ANYTHING regarding this game as long as the internet has too much control over how the games go. I know it's not a perfect science and the internet will always have a minimal effect on gameplay, but it should be MINIMAL at most. That is not the case...not even in the least. Every day I play this game I can see my players not able to move while my opponent is flying around on crack cocaine most of the time, and once in a while my guys did the crack while my opponent looks really slow.

I KNOW for a FACT that this has nothing to do with skill level. I mean my opponent could be number one in the world and that doesn't have any effect on my players' attributes...but it sure feels like it does. This game hasn't been internet-playable in over five years running, and LADIES and GENTLEMEN, expect the same crap for NHL 22. I'm calling it now.
  • Sega82mega
    4205 posts Member
    Beauts90 wrote: »

I would disagree that the ai has taken huge steps the last couple of years. Unless you just mean generally speaking in the world, then yes for sure it has.
    I think that they said 80% of madden players play against the ai. Wonder what that value is For NHL and if it’s high enough that it’s something they will spend more time on.
    It is good to hear that you are optimistic For NHL 22 as I actually am too. The last couple of years the games have greatly improved in my opinion with NHL 21 kinda of being an exception for a few reasons.
    Whether they like to admit it or not, they abandoned 21 pretty quickly and one can only hope it was to make sure 22 was the best game it could be going into next gen.

Yeah it was more meant to the whole Industry - AI, bots, RPA - all that.

Human intelligence processes by computer systems, or machines.

I mean - where will it end?

But yeah if we talk strictly our nhl game - I wouldn’t say I notice that big of a difference through the years - just yet, maybe I could say, baby steps have been made - in right direaction.

But thats a part of why im being hopefull - feels like the NHL serie is abit behind in the technologically advanced progress, then if you take, Fifa or Madden for example. That seem to be more ahead of the time.

I will at least wait and see what our developers are ready to do - armed with better tools that makes it more possible for them to implement/realize ideas.

Anyway - Nice to hear you havent given up on this.

Spoild Fifa fans.... 😡😥

Interesting.

In one of the FIFA GIFs they showed of their new “playing as a team” or whatever they’re marketing, the AI defender starts doing the known little shuffle step and covering nobody, cause a defensive breakdown for no reason.

There’s really no hope for sports games the next few years. They clearly forgot about AI for last 8 years across all games so they’re playing catch-up now.
  • I am not optimistic with ANYTHING regarding this game as long as the internet has too much control over how the games go. I know it's not a perfect science and the internet will always have a minimal effect on gameplay, but it should be MINIMAL at most. That is not the case...not even in the least. Every day I play this game I can see my players not able to move while my opponent is flying around on crack cocaine most of the time, and once in a while my guys did the crack while my opponent looks really slow.

I KNOW for a FACT that this has nothing to do with skill level. I mean my opponent could be number one in the world and that doesn't have any effect on my players' attributes...but it sure feels like it does. This game hasn't been internet-playable in over five years running, and LADIES and GENTLEMEN, expect the same crap for NHL 22. I'm calling it now.

While I understand everyone is entitled to their own opinion, are you honestly saying there's no chance for NHL 22 to be good on the new consoles? Have you liked any of them? If so, which one(s)?

I'm just curious if you hate the game the way it is now, or just in general.
  • Follisimo
    1307 posts Member

Spoild Fifa fans.... 😡😥

Interesting.

In one of the FIFA GIFs they showed of their new “playing as a team” or whatever they’re marketing, the AI defender starts doing the known little shuffle step and covering nobody, cause a defensive breakdown for no reason.

There’s really no hope for sports games the next few years. They clearly forgot about AI for last 8 years across all games so they’re playing catch-up now.

Or it's like they want people to enjoy offense more than defense. For every kid that wants to be a mega shutdown star there is probably thousands that want to be a scoring menace doing unbelievable things. From what I have been hearing of FIFA 22 is that crossing/heading is gonna be deadly this year.

While I understand everyone is entitled to their own opinion, are you honestly saying there's no chance for NHL 22 to be good on the new consoles? Have you liked any of them? If so, which one(s)?

I'm just curious if you hate the game the way it is now, or just in general.

I hate the game the way it is now. I had an absolute blast with the game from 12-15 on the 360/PS3. Hardly anybody bought NHL Legacy because the "new generation" got all the new love, if you can even call it that. Ever since then the new games (16-now) have been utter garbage to play on my end. My internet has been the exact same aside from speed upgrades over the years (from 60, to 100, and now 400meg), and I have upgraded equipment along the way.

My controller input seemed to work 95+ percent of the time back then, and now it feels like I'm lucky to get it working half the time. Players turning the wrong way or long way around, passes going the opposite way, shots missing the net by a mile, very slow reaction times to controller input, no speed/power/agility/accuracy all at the same time, switching to a player nowhere near the play/puck, and watching my AI seemingly intentionally skating away from where they need to be (defender skates up ice while opponent skates into my zone, AI skaters skating towards me or into the defense while I try to break out of my own zone) are things that seem to happen no matter how aggressive or passive I set my team strategies.

So if this is a result of internet problems then I am just screwed because I have NO OTHER OPTION than what I have now, and what I have is Charter Spectrum 400/20 speeds, and in the network quality graph in the game it usually tells me 42-58ms ping with a very flat line usually and no packet loss. Spectrum won't do anything for me because they have determined that I have great speeds and all the signal levels are excellent, and blah blah blah...you know how it goes. "It's the fault of the game servers" So is it?

I'll be optimistic when I don't feel like I'm getting hosed by "the game" or the internet all the time. This is based off of actual user experience.