EA Forums - Banner

Please release NHL titles for PC again!

Prev1
DES0LAT3D
4 posts New member
It's been nearly 13 years since the last NHL title was released for PC.

As an avid hockey fan, it's the only sports title I play, and I'd love to just buy the current NHL titles instead of having to go out and buy a console for the ONE title I cannot get on PC. I don't follow soccer, so FIFA is a no-go for me, and the wife is a bigger football fan than I am, so Madden is just blah.

NHL is the one sports game I truly love, and I haven't played an NHL title since NHL 12, as that's when I made the permanant move away from console gaming. Seeing an NHL title again being released for PC would be a no brainer $60 purchase from me every single year.

I don't know why EA made the choice to stop releasing one of their sports titles on PC, and it honestly baffles me. It's not like you can't have controller support for the game, I've played Madden on PC with a controller.

Overall, I just personally feel like it's a waste to not release one of their sports titles on PC. Will my opinion change this? Probably not, but I'm hoping to gain enough attention that we can finally enjoy playing hockey on PC again. Seems like every year when NHL is announced, another article from some company is blasting EA for continously ignoring their playerbase that enjoys this title.

Please, stop making me want to go out and buy a next-gen console just to play ONE title. Sure, there can be arguments like "but consoles have more exclusives." I really don't care about exclusive titles anymore, and my only reason for even wanting a console is so I can play my favorite sport.

Please make this easier for all of us, and just release the game on PC. It's not like it isn't developed on PC, it really wouldn't be that hard...

Thank you!

Replies

• Mahes
    1 posts New member
    @DES0LAT3D

I agree with you!! I saw your post on reddit. I wish EA would release a new NHL game on PC or even the Switch. NHL 2000 on PC is how I got into hockey.

I am never going to buy a PS5 or Xbox Series S/X JUST to play NHL.

C'mon EA, port the NHL games to PC and Switch!
  • jrago73
    748 posts Member
    Mahes wrote: »
    @DES0LAT3D

I agree with you!! I saw your post on reddit. I wish EA would release a new NHL game on PC or even the Switch. NHL 2000 on PC is how I got into hockey.

I am never going to buy a PS5 or Xbox Series S/X JUST to play NHL.

C'mon EA, port the NHL games to PC and Switch!

Switch port is extremely unlikely. With the new consoles coming out the games are going to be using more power as they make that generation transition and the switch will be left behind as far as specs go.
  • EA_Aljo
    3213 posts EA Community Manager
    DES0LAT3D wrote: »

As an avid hockey fan, it's the only sports title I play, and I'd love to just buy the current NHL titles instead of having to go out and buy a console for the ONE title I cannot get on PC. I don't follow soccer, so FIFA is a no-go for me, and the wife is a bigger football fan than I am, so Madden is just blah.

NHL is the one sports game I truly love, and I haven't played an NHL title since NHL 12, as that's when I made the permanant move away from console gaming. Seeing an NHL title again being released for PC would be a no brainer $60 purchase from me every single year.

I don't know why EA made the choice to stop releasing one of their sports titles on PC, and it honestly baffles me. It's not like you can't have controller support for the game, I've played Madden on PC with a controller.

Overall, I just personally feel like it's a waste to not release one of their sports titles on PC. Will my opinion change this? Probably not, but I'm hoping to gain enough attention that we can finally enjoy playing hockey on PC again. Seems like every year when NHL is announced, another article from some company is blasting EA for continously ignoring their playerbase that enjoys this title.

Please, stop making me want to go out and buy a next-gen console just to play ONE title. Sure, there can be arguments like "but consoles have more exclusives." I really don't care about exclusive titles anymore, and my only reason for even wanting a console is so I can play my favorite sport.

Please make this easier for all of us, and just release the game on PC. It's not like it isn't developed on PC, it really wouldn't be that hard...

Thank you!

We all would love to see NHL on PC. However, it's really not as easy as people think. There's a lot more going on than just the port itself. Sure, getting the game to play on PC might not be that difficult. I really don't have any idea though as I'm not a dev and don't know that process, but we also have to consider things like bringing more servers online to support that game. Then, we have to support those servers. We also need our support teams to be able to troubleshoot PC issues that come up. The devs need to make separate builds of the game along with separate updates. These are just a couple of examples where there's more to consider than just running the game on a PC. There's a very large amount of work that would go into it which would benefit a very small number of players. This would also mean less work gets done on the console version which is where the vast majority of our playerbase would be if a PC version were released. If you just want to play on a PC, I think the best option is going to be through cloud gaming.

Personally, I wouldn't touch a PC version of most any online competitive game. The rampant use of hacks and cheats would drive me crazy. If you only play offline modes, no big deal, but when you get into the competitive, online modes, people have a win at all costs mentality. With so many here complaining about glitch shots and exploits, that would just be far worse on PC when people are modding the game to cheat. That would be another thing that would take the dev team's attention away from working on the rest of the game. The constant battle to combat aimbots, infinite stamina, boosting your players to over 99, etc. We'd have to devote a lot of developer resources to support a very small population of players.
  • B_Bunny
    893 posts Moderator
    edited July 29
    I'd welcome a PC community if modding was able to take place for offline. I know it's not the same, but games like Skyrim for instance have received an incredible amount of QOL mods over its lifetime.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • jrago73
    748 posts Member
    EA_Aljo wrote: »

Thank you!

We all would love to see NHL on PC. However, it's really not as easy as people think. There's a lot more going on than just the port itself. Sure, getting the game to play on PC might not be that difficult. I really don't have any idea though as I'm not a dev and don't know that process, but we also have to consider things like bringing more servers online to support that game. Then, we have to support those servers. We also need our support teams to be able to troubleshoot PC issues that come up. The devs need to make separate builds of the game along with separate updates. These are just a couple of examples where there's more to consider than just running the game on a PC. There's a very large amount of work that would go into it which would benefit a very small number of players. This would also mean less work gets done on the console version which is where the vast majority of our playerbase would be if a PC version were released. If you just want to play on a PC, I think the best option is going to be through cloud gaming.

Personally, I wouldn't touch a PC version of most any online competitive game. The rampant use of hacks and cheats would drive me crazy. If you only play offline modes, no big deal, but when you get into the competitive, online modes, people have a win at all costs mentality. With so many here complaining about glitch shots and exploits, that would just be far worse on PC when people are modding the game to cheat. That would be another thing that would take the dev team's attention away from working on the rest of the game. The constant battle to combat aimbots, infinite stamina, boosting your players to over 99, etc. We'd have to devote a lot of developer resources to support a very small population of players.

Not to mention troubleshooting a million different hardware configurations.
  • DES0LAT3D
    4 posts New member
    > @EA_Aljo said:
    > We all would love to see NHL on PC. However, it's really not as easy as people think. There's a lot more going on than just the port itself. Sure, getting the game to play on PC might not be that difficult. I really don't have any idea though as I'm not a dev and don't know that process, but we also have to consider things like bringing more servers online to support that game. Then, we have to support those servers. We also need our support teams to be able to troubleshoot PC issues that come up. The devs need to make separate builds of the game along with separate updates. These are just a couple of examples where there's more to consider than just running the game on a PC. There's a very large amount of work that would go into it which would benefit a very small number of players. This would also mean less work gets done on the console version which is where the vast majority of our playerbase would be if a PC version were released. If you just want to play on a PC, I think the best option is going to be through cloud gaming.
    >
    > Personally, I wouldn't touch a PC version of most any online competitive game. The rampant use of hacks and cheats would drive me crazy. If you only play offline modes, no big deal, but when you get into the competitive, online modes, people have a win at all costs mentality. With so many here complaining about glitch shots and exploits, that would just be far worse on PC when people are modding the game to cheat. That would be another thing that would take the dev team's attention away from working on the rest of the game. The constant battle to combat aimbots, infinite stamina, boosting your players to over 99, etc. We'd have to devote a lot of developer resources to support a very small population of players.

Okay so by this statement, then FIFA and Madden shouldn't be on PC either then. Your statement only contradicts what your company is actively selling right now for the PC community.

Also, there ARE anti-cheats for online play. If this is really the only reason why you guys won't bring a PC title to PC anymore, that's absurd, considering there's online play for Madden and FIFA on PC. I'm not even looking to play online honestly, I just want to play Be a Pro and Be a GM mode. There are numerous steps you can take to ensure cheating doesn't happen. It's amazing that there are thousands of multiplayer games for PC and you know what? Most of them have zero hacking because the developers take the steps to ensure that doesn't happen.

This response in all honesty is just a lazy cop out blaming it on the "cheaters" for an entire company's decision.

> @B_Bunny said:
    > I'd welcome a PC community if modding was able to take place for offline. I know it's not the same, but games like Skyrim for instance have received an incredible amount of QOL mods over its lifetime.

I don't even need online play or even modding, I just want to play the game, be a pro, be a gm, etc.

I don't know if you're an actual staff member or just a moderator, but i don't understand why both you, and the CM are both reacting to modding, cheating, etc. when none of that was actually brought up in the original post. Although I do agree modding can increase the games lifetime, I really don't see a reason to mod a game that comes out yearly. But to each their own I guess.

You guys could at least put NHL 09 back on Steam, Origin, etc. so people who can't play a hockey game actually have something to play....
  • DES0LAT3D
    4 posts New member
    > @EA_Aljo said:
    > Personally, I wouldn't touch a PC version of most any online competitive game. The rampant use of hacks and cheats would drive me crazy.

This is a statement from someone who knows nothing about PC gaming and the anti-cheat software there is.

Try playing a game...
  • thebrazenhead75
    243 posts Member
    edited July 29
    What are the sales of Madden and FIFA compared to NHL? I’m thinking there is a huge enough difference and that’s why EA has PC versions of Madden and FIFA. It’s probably just not profitable for EA to release a PC version of NHL.
  • Follisimo
    1345 posts Member
    edited July 29
    FIFA 21, life to date, has more than 25 million console/PC players.
    Madden is probably around the 4-6mil mark with it being more of a US type sport than world.

If I had to guess with NHL i'd say they are doing around 1mil to 1.5mil sales of the game between physical and digital.

You can find lots of information here.
    https://ir.ea.com/home/default.aspx
  • EA_Aljo
    > @EA_Aljo said:
    > We all would love to see NHL on PC. However, it's really not as easy as people think. There's a lot more going on than just the port itself. Sure, getting the game to play on PC might not be that difficult. I really don't have any idea though as I'm not a dev and don't know that process, but we also have to consider things like bringing more servers online to support that game. Then, we have to support those servers. We also need our support teams to be able to troubleshoot PC issues that come up. The devs need to make separate builds of the game along with separate updates. These are just a couple of examples where there's more to consider than just running the game on a PC. There's a very large amount of work that would go into it which would benefit a very small number of players. This would also mean less work gets done on the console version which is where the vast majority of our playerbase would be if a PC version were released. If you just want to play on a PC, I think the best option is going to be through cloud gaming.
    >
    > Personally, I wouldn't touch a PC version of most any online competitive game. The rampant use of hacks and cheats would drive me crazy. If you only play offline modes, no big deal, but when you get into the competitive, online modes, people have a win at all costs mentality. With so many here complaining about glitch shots and exploits, that would just be far worse on PC when people are modding the game to cheat. That would be another thing that would take the dev team's attention away from working on the rest of the game. The constant battle to combat aimbots, infinite stamina, boosting your players to over 99, etc. We'd have to devote a lot of developer resources to support a very small population of players.

Okay so by this statement, then FIFA and Madden shouldn't be on PC either then. Your statement only contradicts what your company is actively selling right now for the PC community.

Also, there ARE anti-cheats for online play. If this is really the only reason why you guys won't bring a PC title to PC anymore, that's absurd, considering there's online play for Madden and FIFA on PC. I'm not even looking to play online honestly, I just want to play Be a Pro and Be a GM mode. There are numerous steps you can take to ensure cheating doesn't happen. It's amazing that there are thousands of multiplayer games for PC and you know what? Most of them have zero hacking because the developers take the steps to ensure that doesn't happen.

This response in all honesty is just a lazy cop out blaming it on the "cheaters" for an entire company's decision.

> @B_Bunny said:
    > I'd welcome a PC community if modding was able to take place for offline. I know it's not the same, but games like Skyrim for instance have received an incredible amount of QOL mods over its lifetime.

I don't even need online play or even modding, I just want to play the game, be a pro, be a gm, etc.

I don't know if you're an actual staff member or just a moderator, but i don't understand why both you, and the CM are both reacting to modding, cheating, etc. when none of that was actually brought up in the original post. Although I do agree modding can increase the games lifetime, I really don't see a reason to mod a game that comes out yearly. But to each their own I guess.

You guys could at least put NHL 09 back on Steam, Origin, etc. so people who can't play a hockey game actually have something to play....

Sorry for the confusion. I was talking about me personally. I prefer console gaming and that's partially due to not having to go up against anyone using hacks and cheats. I also had specified I was talking about online play. I also never blamed cheaters as the sole reason. Again, it was just a personal preference and had nothing to do with the reasons for not releasing a PC version. This has been heavily discussed in recent years. You can find a very lengthy thread on it here.

Again, the reasons for not releasing a PC version come down to a small population of PC hockey players and the very large job of porting it to PC as well as supporting the game.
  • DES0LAT3D
    4 posts New member
    > @EA_Aljo said:
    > Sorry for the confusion. I was talking about me personally. I prefer console gaming and that's partially due to not having to go up against anyone using hacks and cheats. I also had specified I was talking about online play. I also never blamed cheaters as the sole reason. Again, it was just a personal preference and had nothing to do with the reasons for not releasing a PC version. This has been heavily discussed in recent years. You can find a very lengthy thread on it here.
    >
    > Again, the reasons for not releasing a PC version come down to a small population of PC hockey players and the very large job of porting it to PC as well as supporting the game.

From the looks of the thread you linked, as well as the thousands of other threads on various websites, as well as articles over the last 13 years, it sure seems like there's enough support for NHL to be released on PC.

Like one user in the thread you linked stated, maybe if we were given a survey on Origin that asks us what types of titles we'd like to see released to this platform would be a good idea. Because I can assure you, the reason this topic continously comes up is because people want it for PC. I feel like you guys take the one or two topics and think it's just one or two people, when in reality, it may just be one or two people speaking up for the broader audience that just doesn't want to take the time to write forum threads, articles, surveys, etc.

Bring the new NHL to PC and I can gauarantee you it would be worth it. You guys as a company make enough money off of FIFA alone to cover the costs of bring NHL back to PC.

Also, what's with taking NHL 09 off of the Steam Store and other platforms? At least leave us the one NHL we can play from 13 years ago....
  • I think you’d be surprised at the percentage of the player base that would migrate over to PC with options like 100+ FPS, custom rosters, graphics mods, etc. It would be the definitive version of the game and for something fast twitch like hockey probably the preferred place to play for competitive/eSports players.
  • EA_Aljo
    The population of PC players on FIFA and Madden are significantly less than the console versions. If PC sports gaming is as popular as people claim, those numbers would be a lot higher. Hockey on PC would have a smaller community. I understand there is the assumption that if there was a PC version, it would be highly populated, but most likely, that's not the case. Regardless, this has been debated over and over and over and over and over again. We get it. We know some of you want a PC version. Should the time come that it's going to generate a high enough playerbase to warrant all the work and support it takes to release a PC version, chances are good it'll happen.
  • Follisimo
    1345 posts Member
    edited July 29
    The population of PC players on FIFA and Madden are significantly less than the console versions. If PC sports gaming is as popular as people claim, those numbers would be a lot higher. Hockey on PC would have a smaller community. I understand there is the assumption that if there was a PC version, it would be highly populated, but most likely, that's not the case. Regardless, this has been debated over and over and over and over and over again. We get it. We know some of you want a PC version. Should the time come that it's going to generate a high enough playerbase to warrant all the work and support it takes to release a PC version, chances are good it'll happen.

I miss the days when the crowdfunding boom was kind of a thing. I'd have loved to see EA put the NHL Series on PC as a crowdfunded type thing and see if they could hit the number to warrant a PC release.

People should also take note that FIFA 22 is getting the Xbox One/PS4 treatment instead of the Xbox Series/PS5 treatment this coming iteration. So that says a good deal that maybe the PC version isn't that important to EA especially since most people can just mod and such what they need player change wise into the game.

As consoles have become more PC-like it shouldn't be extremely hard for there to also be a PC version of NHL. But they wouldn't know unless they tried. Maybe they shouldn't waste money on NBA because 2K owns that territory.

Also EA needs to get with the times of adding 120fps to their sport titles. It's literally a game changer when it comes to online gaming.
  • DES0LAT3D
    4 posts New member
    > @EA_Aljo said:
    > The population of PC players on FIFA and Madden are significantly less than the console versions. If PC sports gaming is as popular as people claim, those numbers would be a lot higher. Hockey on PC would have a smaller community. I understand there is the assumption that if there was a PC version, it would be highly populated, but most likely, that's not the case. Regardless, this has been debated over and over and over and over and over again. We get it. We know some of you want a PC version. Should the time come that it's going to generate a high enough playerbase to warrant all the work and support it takes to release a PC version, chances are good it'll happen.

If it's been debated over and over and over and over again, maybe that should tell you something. That people WANT NHL for PC.

Who the hell debated for Knockout City?! Game is trash.

Listen to the community, listen to the debates, listen to the articles, the threads, etc. There's a REASON this topic continously shows up, it's because we want it for PC.

Also, to claim a "PC port" is difficult is absurd. Game Development is done on PC, not to mention, consoles are literally PCs they always have been, always will be. Be the Community Manager and listen to the comments that have been brought up for the past 13 years.
  • EA_Aljo
    edited July 29
    > @EA_Aljo said:
    > The population of PC players on FIFA and Madden are significantly less than the console versions. If PC sports gaming is as popular as people claim, those numbers would be a lot higher. Hockey on PC would have a smaller community. I understand there is the assumption that if there was a PC version, it would be highly populated, but most likely, that's not the case. Regardless, this has been debated over and over and over and over and over again. We get it. We know some of you want a PC version. Should the time come that it's going to generate a high enough playerbase to warrant all the work and support it takes to release a PC version, chances are good it'll happen.

If it's been debated over and over and over and over again, maybe that should tell you something. That people WANT NHL for PC.

Who the hell debated for Knockout City?! Game is trash.

Listen to the community, listen to the debates, listen to the articles, the threads, etc. There's a REASON this topic continously shows up, it's because we want it for PC.

Also, to claim a "PC port" is difficult is absurd. Game Development is done on PC, not to mention, consoles are literally PCs they always have been, always will be. Be the Community Manager and listen to the comments that have been brought up for the past 13 years.

I didn't say it was difficult. Again though, I'm not a dev. I really don't know all that's involved with porting the game. There's just a lot more to it than getting it to run on a PC, as I mentioned previously. At the end of the day, it's about having a playerbase that will support it. This has been researched and most likely always will be so it's entirely possible a PC version could be available someday. We love having our games available to as many people as possible, but it also has to warrant all the work that goes into porting the game and supporting it on that platform.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    > @EA_Aljo said:
    >

> @B_Bunny said:

Sorry for the confusion. I was talking about me personally. I prefer console gaming and that's partially due to not having to go up against anyone using hacks and cheats. I also had specified I was talking about online play. I also never blamed cheaters as the sole reason. Again, it was just a personal preference and had nothing to do with the reasons for not releasing a PC version. This has been heavily discussed in recent years. You can find a very lengthy thread on it here.

Again, the reasons for not releasing a PC version come down to a small population of PC hockey players and the very large job of porting it to PC as well as supporting the game.

But you have to go up against that kind of thing anyway. Glitch goals in this product is common and I'm assuming can't be programed to be taken out entirely. Otherwise we wouldn't have them. Cheaters are on any console, largely the reason I don't play online that often. It just isn't worth it.
  • EA_Aljo
    > @EA_Aljo said:
    >

> @B_Bunny said:

But you have to go up against that kind of thing anyway. Glitch goals in this product is common and I'm assuming can't be programed to be taken out entirely. Otherwise we wouldn't have them. Cheaters are on any console, largely the reason I don't play online that often. It just isn't worth it.

What most consider glitch goals aren't a cheat. They also can be defended. The short side wrister or goals scored off a cross-crease pass aren't glitches. They're shots taken from an area with a good chance of scoring. What I was talking about with the part you bolded was people using hacks to mod a game to give players an unfair advantage.
  • B_Bunny wrote: »
    I'd welcome a PC community if modding was able to take place for offline. I know it's not the same, but games like Skyrim for instance have received an incredible amount of QOL mods over its lifetime.

If the AI were tweakable like Madden’s we could see a completely different experience from the base game. I’d buy another gaming PC if it happened but it won’t.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    > @EA_Aljo said:
    >

> @B_Bunny said:

What most consider glitch goals aren't a cheat. They also can be defended. The short side wrister or goals scored off a cross-crease pass aren't glitches. They're shots taken from an area with a good chance of scoring. What I was talking about with the part you bolded was people using hacks to mod a game to give players an unfair advantage.

Fair enough, but even still you know as well as I do that console games are also possible to exploit.