EA Forums - Banner

Really? Our club named was changed?

Prev1
EpiCxOwNeD
638 posts Member
edited August 2021
For many years. We have had that club name. For YEARS. But today, I received an email saying our club name was changed. I mean are you serious? Our fun silly name was changed but nothing is done about the player or club names that you’ve seen across the many years on NHL? We’ve gotten messages from people saying they liked our name and it was funny. it’s unbelievable EA doesn’t care about terrible names and haven’t, they only jumped on the bandwagon for a PR stunt. Here’s some names I’ve seen that EA has let go.

[Removed images - CM]

If I get in trouble for this post oh well. I’ve been coming here years discussing things and trying to help improve the series. I can’t talk to an EA representative about this from the email I got because it technically wasn’t a ban and I couldn’t find someone to talk to about it. Also pointing the hypocrisy EA has on a stance they only developed a year ago for PR reasons and not ethical ones. So those names are just a handful of what I seen. I’ve been seeing names like that for over 10 years and it only started to get addressed last year. In the crossfire goofy names are getting wiped like ours.
Post edited by EA_Blueberry on

Replies

• “WheelingMoms” is not offensive in any way lol. You’re 100% right about this being a PR stunt.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4836 posts EA Community Manager
    @EpiCxOwNeD

I understand you were providing the images to make a point, but please advise that sharing inappropriate content on the forums may result in forum account action. Sharing racism on the forums can lead to an immediate permanent ban. I removed the images.

It's very likely those examples you provided will lead to club changes as well. We are taking a stronger stance on removing inappropriate names from our game. I'm not part of the Terms of Service team, thus I don't have any opinion or decision making in this, however I feel it's more of the first part of your club that could have been the reason.

If you want to state your case to our Terms of Service team on why this action should be reversed, please visit this link to get started.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/account/information-about-banned-or-suspended-accounts/
  • “WheelingMoms” is not offensive in any way lol. You’re 100% right about this being a PR stunt.

Exactly, me getting my name changed to Joe NHL because my name was offensive...I use my real last name of "White". Two consecutive years I got a ban, two consecutive years it was during Black History Month. Also in two consecutive years, I've had it reversed(albeit after having to show a piece of ID, with info blocked out, showing it was in fact my name) I do find it funny, not a gripe at all...but it shows that they just jumped on the bandwagon a bit, little virtue signalling...but no worse than any other publicly seen company when it comes to being woke
  • twhite1387 wrote: »
    “WheelingMoms” is not offensive in any way lol. You’re 100% right about this being a PR stunt.

Exactly, me getting my name changed to Joe NHL because my name was offensive...I use my real last name of "White". Two consecutive years I got a ban, two consecutive years it was during Black History Month. Also in two consecutive years, I've had it reversed(albeit after having to show a piece of ID, with info blocked out, showing it was in fact my name) I do find it funny, not a gripe at all...but it shows that they just jumped on the bandwagon a bit, little virtue signalling...but no worse than any other publicly seen company when it comes to being woke

Hehe bad luck.

I guess they rather judge then let things 'slip by' - and sometimes words - names - like white - is being in the way to the 'moral police' - even though it's a common last name for many people.

It's sensetive times we are living in.

But also cruel times..
  • EA_Aljo
    3229 posts EA Community Manager
    “WheelingMoms” is not offensive in any way lol. You’re 100% right about this being a PR stunt.

Removing inappropriate content is not a PR stunt. We're all human and what offends one may not offend another. To be safe, anything that can be inappropriate will probably cause the account to be actioned.
  • EA_Aljo wrote: »
    You're right, it isn't.
    EA_Aljo wrote: »
    Removing inappropriate content is not a PR stunt. We're all human and what offends one may not offend another. To be safe, anything that can be inappropriate will probably cause the account to be actioned.
    You're joking on that last part, right? "anything that can be inappropriate"...then explain all the blatantly racist stuff that still goes through.

With all due respect, by that extremely flawed logic, just ban every club name and make us use numbers. This is exactly why the moderation/reporting system needs an overhaul from top to bottom, Procedurally to enactment.
  • EA_Aljo
    twhite1387 wrote: »
    You're right, it isn't.
    You're joking on that last part, right? "anything that can be inappropriate"...then explain all the blatantly racist stuff that still goes through.

With all due respect, by that extremely flawed logic, just ban every club name and make us use numbers. This is exactly why the moderation/reporting system needs an overhaul from top to bottom, Procedurally to enactment.

We action as many as we can. There are way more players than people that work here. It's not the easiest task to remove every single instance of everything that can be deemed inappropriate. When content is reported, it's reviewed and action is taken if necessary.
    You're right, it isn't.

We action as many as we can. There are way more players than people that work here. It's not the easiest task to remove every single instance of everything that can be deemed inappropriate. When content is reported, it's reviewed and action is taken if necessary.

Ok, so I guess my question is...how does my name get banned, if there is a moderation team? Like how does that even get serious action when it's blatantly obvious it's a last name? I think that's likely where my frustration comes from.
  • EA_Aljo
    You're right, it isn't.

Ok, so I guess my question is...how does my name get banned, if there is a moderation team? Like how does that even get serious action when it's blatantly obvious it's a last name? I think that's likely where my frustration comes from.

I don't have any details on that. If the first name combined with the last name made it more offensive, I could see that causing an issue. Thankfully, they were able to reverse the ban on your name.

I definitely get the frustration and it may seem like we're going overboard with what is deemed inappropriate and offensive, but it's also better to be this way than let things slide. I fully understand we're not getting every instance of every offensive name. That's almost impossible to do, but we are taking action on as many of them as we can.
    I don't have any details on that. If the first name combined with the last name made it more offensive, I could see that causing an issue. Thankfully, they were able to reverse the ban on your name.

as I've mentioned prior, I use my real name...there is absolutely unequivocally no excuse for that kind of mistake. It's the fact that both times have been during February, which coincidentally is Black History Month...that's another frustrating aspect that appears to point to virtue signaling/looking for PR. I agree I'm happy I got it reversed, and apologies...twice...but that sort of stuff shouldn't happen with an every day name.

• jrago73
    748 posts Member

It shows that the idiocy of the few means the rest of us can't have nice things.
  • jrago73 wrote: »
    It shows that the idiocy of the few means the rest of us can't have nice things.

Truth, right there. Few racist morons and looks what it gets us...
  • EA_Aljo

as I've mentioned prior, I use my real name...there is absolutely unequivocally no excuse for that kind of mistake. It's the fact that both times have been during February, which coincidentally is Black History Month...that's another frustrating aspect that appears to point to virtue signaling/looking for PR. I agree I'm happy I got it reversed, and apologies...twice...but that sort of stuff shouldn't happen with an every day name.

Appreciate the feedback here and I'm really sorry for all the frustration with this. We've obviously taken a much bigger stance on offensive content over the last year and have been trying to take action where appropriate. It's a bit overkill at times, but better safe than sorry. Unfortunately, it can mean innocent names like yours also get flagged. Hopefully, this improves over time.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited August 2021
    jrago73 wrote: »

EA should realese two hockey games - one for the 'children's pool' where they can play and be funny with each other - and one for hardcore hockey people - that thinks - a loose teeth after a fight - is the type of humor that belong to a rink/game.

Appreciate the feedback here and I'm really sorry for all the frustration with this. We've obviously taken a much bigger stance on offensive content over the last year and have been trying to take action where appropriate. It's a bit overkill at times, but better safe than sorry. Unfortunately, it can mean innocent names like yours also get flagged. Hopefully, this improves over time.

“Better safe than sorry” let’s remember the path to hell is paved in good intentions
  • B_Bunny
    893 posts Member
    Sega82mega wrote: »

EA should realese two hockey games - one for the 'children's pool' where they can play and be funny with each other - and one for hardcore hockey people - that thinks - a loose teeth after a fight - is the type of humor that belong to a rink/game.

The children would come over to the hardcore game just to troll.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • jrago73
    748 posts Member
    B_Bunny wrote: »

The children are also about age 10 to 60.
  • B_Bunny wrote: »

Like cockroaches - they find a way through, even if they are not invited.
  • We have taken a firmer stance on this kind of thing? I have reported a team over and over this year, again this year I should say that has been allowed to continue. They are something about the holocaust and their PSN is ID numbers from the actual people who were high up on the **** regime and they have player names of ****, Himmler and a host of others. This has been around since NHL 11 I believe and never has anything ever been done over this team.
  • Follisimo
    1346 posts Member

It's not just EA. After the whole #MeToo and #BLM stuff all the companies are finally cracking down on names and images. If anything the companies were lazy and not doing their jobs in the 1st place. Now that they are it angers people. But it's mostly people reporting teams/players for the slightest to see if they can get them in trouble. At least they are only name changing instead of sending out bans. As time goes on things are only gonna get cracked down on even more. It's a big reason we don't have the ability to truly customize helmets/jerseys.