EA Forums - Banner

NHL 22 reveal - Thursday, August 19th @ 11 am EST

12345679Next

Replies

• Jagavekov wrote: »
    brooooo how can you say the skating isn't insane speed with the pivots...like come on bro have you seen the powerturns in this game??? its like they aren't losing speed at all...even makato doesn't have that skil HAHA...not realistic at all

show a video of what you mean

It is very hard to show something like this with video because we are dealing with differences in speeds which are hard to quantify without measuring how long each skating action takes which is impossible, but I'll try to show why the skating is unrealistic.

Watch teal here:

gvz3bnft4121.gif

And here:

soffrq36w7o6.gif

He can make those sharp cuts and changes of direction with barely any loss of speed and then immediately accelerate out of them with speed.

Here is a clip from the real skills competition, there is a puck involved which changes things a little, but note how much speed is lost on sharp cuts and how long it takes to accelerate out of a sharp cut:

9z7n7vzuuyox.gif

Look how wide the arc is and how long it takes him to build up speed when this defenceman skates out of the corner with the puck in this clip:

2ievn47yxvt3.gif

This is what EA's version of skating looks like:

fs70588sdwb9.gif

well that shut me up. well done.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    belair_col wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    belair_col wrote: »
    Jagavekov wrote: »
    brooooo how can you say the skating isn't insane speed with the pivots...like come on bro have you seen the powerturns in this game??? its like they aren't losing speed at all...even makato doesn't have that skil HAHA...not realistic at all

show a video of what you mean

It is very hard to show something like this with video because we are dealing with differences in speeds which are hard to quantify without measuring how long each skating action takes which is impossible, but I'll try to show why the skating is unrealistic.

Watch teal here:

gvz3bnft4121.gif

And here:

soffrq36w7o6.gif

He can make those sharp cuts and changes of direction with barely any loss of speed and then immediately accelerate out of them with speed.

Here is a clip from the real skills competition, there is a puck involved which changes things a little, but note how much speed is lost on sharp cuts and how long it takes to accelerate out of a sharp cut:

9z7n7vzuuyox.gif

Look how wide the arc is and how long it takes him to build up speed when this defenceman skates out of the corner with the puck in this clip:

2ievn47yxvt3.gif

This is what EA's version of skating looks like:

fs70588sdwb9.gif

Hehe I like your work/effort.

You aint completely wrong - there is some moment where you scratch your head - beacuse of how your opponent manage to skate through your defense.

I would go so far and wish for players to fall/stumble alot more - happens all the time IRL.

Or like car games - If you push for speed too much in a 'hard right curve' - then you will end up in the ditch.

But well oh well - alot of time has pass sence the realese of 21... Something must have happen, wouldn’t surprise me if pretty much every area, at least took one step up, from how things been/are.

Gameplay Trailer tomarrow!

I won't lie. Your blind optimism is somewhat refreshing compared to the constant defending of the franchise by other posters here. I don't see why EA shouldn't be held to the highest level of scrutiny after their last release, but you're right. The next game will be a noticeable change to what we've seen from the franchise in recent years. Whether that's for the better or for worse remains to be seen.

Hehe I wouldn’t say it's optimism taken completely 'out of the air' - much of my opinion is based on my own experience. But yeah - I am a bealiver and I like to stay positive, but I dont always feel the 'team' gets the threatment/respect that they deserve.

I would like to keep it fair - NHL 21 is among the best hockey games ive played, but still I a really enervating experience when it is at is worst stage.

In it's best moments - a great game, in it's worst - can't stand it.

With 22 I wish the bottom low dosent fall as hard as 21 - and I wish the top moments will show more often aaaand last longer.

Unlike some - I do feel hope for both the team and the realese of 22.

I would love to see alot of happy people, sharing cool experience from the game. Leave whats old behind.. Start fresh.

😬✊

*I wouldn’t be optimistic if I felt I had no reason at all to be - I ain't just being it for the sake of just being it - I really think this could be it, at least a reaaally good hockey game, perhaps not perfect.

Well that's unfortunate. You must be pretty new to the franchise. NHL 21 was a steaming pile that had very few changes from the previous version--same clunky menu. The franchise itself has had a number of breakthrough games, but in recent years the company has been falling over itself to profit off of the micro-transactions available in HUT. Don't be surprised to see them in other game modes in the near future.

I don't see a future where the die-hard hockey fans view this as a game that's catered to them or any kind of realistic version of hockey itself. Maybe EA could toss us a bone and let Metalhead develop a less arcady version of EASHL. It would give them more time to focus on the E-Sports and HUT angle they likely profit the most off of.

I wouldn’t say that im new.

And of course this is a strictly subjective opinion.

I might like hamburger and you might like pizza. Nothing wrong with that.

I remember NHL 93 and I remember 21 - closer example - I remember 15 and I remember 21, thats why I feel 21 is the best/most realistic game of hockey I remember - where EA gives me the tools/opportunity to play a pretty authentic hockey - *If you wanna* - at least in my perspective on 'whats hockey - and whats not hockey'.

My biggest grip is that 'non' of my opponent's seem to share my wish, to play hockey, I dont know what to call the 'sport', some of my opponent's seem to play. And ofc it's going to be tough to dance - If only one of us is there for dancing.

Unfortunately - these guys that only look on the score-board - have had some 'game-mechanics' in their favour - but for every year thats goes - this guys has started to sweat - more and more - in there obsession to win games and by trying to 'break down' the gameplay mechanics the most they can.

It still work as a successful strategy - but it sure ain't pretty. And I dont think it's the way to win, in the future.

Im really curious to see how hard this players im talking about - will have to struggle, when they try to 'cheat' there way to success, without taking any 'hockey' into consideration.

Something tells me - it's going to be even harder - trying to take 'short-cuts' to victory.

EA did alot of money on 21 - EA will probebly do alot more on 22. (luckily - for us all that like hockey, and want this serie to expand.)

I hate it when people make assumptions because they disagree with your opinions. I've had that a few times and been like 'no I've been playing this series since NHLPA '93, probably before you were even born young man'. Just a small pet peeve.

On to the trailer today, I'm hoping it shows actual gameplay instead of all cinematic scenes. And EA knows that's what we're looking for.

Ironically we might also get a beta release date, especially since it was scheduled for late August and it's 8/26 today here in the Boston area. So we might get something on that front as well.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1839 posts Member
    edited August 26
    On to the trailer today, I'm hoping it shows actual gameplay instead of all cinematic scenes. And EA knows that's what we're looking for.

Ironically we might also get a beta release date, especially since it was scheduled for late August and it's 8/26 today here in the Boston area. So we might get something on that front as well.

The cinematic stuff will likely be what we get. Luckily, we should get our hands on the tech test likely Monday but I'm hoping for a surprise 'Starts Tomorrow!' announcement.
  • On to the trailer today, I'm hoping it shows actual gameplay instead of all cinematic scenes. And EA knows that's what we're looking for.

The cinematic stuff will likely be what we get. Luckily, we should get our hands on the tech test likely Monday but I'm hoping for a surprise 'Starts Tomorrow!' announcement.

I will go for 'starts tomarrow!'

"Dubbel XP news day!" 😋✊
  • No freaking news about the beta - but 'late August' - can't be Monday - Tuesday, it just can't!
    No freaking news about the beta - but 'late August' - can't be Monday - Tuesday, it just can't!

Ya I'm guessing it'll be released Monday - announce Friday as the end date and then announce extending it through the long weekend.
    No freaking news about the beta - but 'late August' - can't be Monday - Tuesday, it just can't!

Ya I'm guessing it'll be released Monday - announce Friday as the end date and then announce extending it through the long weekend.

The rule for this game is always that things happen at the latest moment that still matches the deadline. I'm calling Tuesday the 31st as the day.
  • jrago73 wrote: »

The rule for this game is always that things happen at the latest moment that still matches the deadline. I'm calling Tuesday the 31st as the day.

Well if it is Monday it gives me my two days off to play it on. Which I wouldn't complain about.
  • jrago73 wrote: »

Well if it is Monday it gives me my two days off to play it on. Which I wouldn't complain about.

Yeah I clock out Monday morning so it would suit my calendar pretty good.

But I wanna play nooow... 😳