EA Forums - Banner

What I liked/disliked about the NHL 22 Gameplay reveal - in GIFS

Prev1
Dislike - Powerplay Movement still seems erratic

https://i.imgur.com/gcbQAvA.gif (link for mobile)

Van #9 backskating all the way to his pre-defined position despite the current context. This is a huge issue that's plagued the series for years now.

kgYN0Te.png

I'd like to see the player take note of the open ice combined with the defensive setup, in this case - only 3 defenders. This player should be moving closer to the play rather than further away.

Like- Improved Defensive AI Pickups in skates

https://i.imgur.com/hk4MLug.gif (link for mobile)

You can see Jones disrupt this play using his skates and I think this is a good indication as to the lengths EA has gone to mitigate the success rate of passes through traffic in the crease.

Like - Sticks will deflect off equipment rather than trigger a penalty

https://i.imgur.com/01Dabma.gif (link)

It's nice to see a poke check that would result in a penalty 100% of the time be improved via physics and not result in a penalty nor disrupt the puck carrier.

Like - New tripping animation!!

https://i.imgur.com/Tl58QHH.gif (link)

Replies

• Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited August 2021
    Good eye my friend!

I thought first van #9 just tryed to be an open option to play for the left side board. To get a more wide option to play to the side - but yeah, then I saw what you did, it's a 5-3 opportunity, 5-4 it would have been a diffrent thing, but with that much room, there's really no good reason to not take advantage of that 'free surface'.
  • kyl_35
    184 posts Member
    5wnh295fzsiq.jpeg

I cringe at this save every time they show it. Vasi is moving worse than some 8 year olds I coach.
  • Dislike - Powerplay Movement still seems erratic

Van #9 backskating all the way to his pre-defined position despite the current context. This is a huge issue that's plagued the series for years now.

kgYN0Te.png

I'd like to see the player take note of the open ice combined with the defensive setup, in this case - only 3 defenders. This player should be moving closer to the play rather than further away.

You can see Jones disrupt this play using his skates and I think this is a good indication as to the lengths EA has gone to mitigate the success rate of passes through traffic in the crease.

It's nice to see a poke check that would result in a penalty 100% of the time be improved via physics and not result in a penalty nor disrupt the puck carrier.

I'm not sure how different the tripping animation was, the got also appeared to get decked as he fell to the ice.
  • Dislike - Powerplay Movement still seems erratic

kgYN0Te.png

I'm not sure how different the tripping animation was, the got also appeared to get decked as he fell to the ice.

I like how the right leg - 'kicks-back'.

The physic may have taking some steps up.

Going to be fun to 'feel the puck'.

Shots, dekes, passes.

And how the puck will behave on rebounds. Etc etc..
  • I'm starting to buy in to what's being presented. There is some good stuff in this video but I'm still scared that the goaltending appears to be an issue still.
  • Hell - I have a vision how I hope for it to feel.

If... The game will live up to my own expectations - i'll probably start to cry, during the game - all this years, and finaly... like a weight have been lifting off my shoulders, relieved myself from a burden.

This will probebly be something im able to 'pick up' pretty quick.

When I try to defend the first couple of 'cross crease attempt's, or something.

😏

• Follisimo
    1346 posts Member
    edited August 2021
    In the Blues vs Vancouver clips you can see there is 2 humans playing on the same team. Also there isn't anything wrong with it because it looks like an Umbrella formation.
    kyl_35 wrote: »
    5wnh295fzsiq.jpeg

I cringe at this save every time they show it. Vasi is moving worse than some 8 year olds I coach.

It's probably a human doing the attempt over and over til they got one that looked good. Cause yes him doing that save animation in that situation is awful
  • Zkibu
    44 posts Member
    edited August 2021
    Umbrella is a formation from the nineties. Can't believe that they still haven't updated it to 1-3-1 which is pretty much the only formation what teams are using since the last 10 years. Still, the left player from the back three needs to position himself much closer to the face off ring so he can actually be a threat against the shorthanded triangle.

Obviously we don't know yet if they have updated the strategies, but this does not look very promising. I was hopeful that they would implement the trendy 2-3 offensive zone formation where the third forward "sits" between the two defenders a la Bolts, Avs and Panthers. But maybe that was just fool's hope.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1839 posts Member
    edited August 2021
    Follisimo wrote: »
    In the Blues vs Vancouver clips you can see there is 2 humans playing on the same team. Also there isn't anything wrong with it because it looks like an Umbrella formation.

I understand it's an umbrella, but the left point is doing the same-old-same-old A.I. technique of "get to your assigned position regardless of context as fast as possible"

Jzx5BjX.png

It's the right formation, but on a 5-on-3 he shouldn't be accelerating away from a prime scoring area when his team currently has pressure-free possession.
  • Follisimo
    1346 posts Member
    edited August 2021

I understand it's an umbrella, but the left point is doing the same-old-same-old A.I. technique of "get to your assigned position regardless of context as fast as possible"

Jzx5BjX.png

It's the right formation, but on a 5-on-3 he shouldn't be accelerating away from a prime scoring area.

It's why they are AI are programmed to just be in certain areas instead of reading and adapting like a human. If they truly played an umbrella I think human defenders would eat that alive.

Anyway I assume the AI has trouble doing umbrella and the other strats conflict
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited August 2021

Jzx5BjX.png

It's the right formation, but on a 5-on-3 he shouldn't be accelerating away from a prime scoring area when his team currently has pressure-free possession.

Just to see a new icon over the head is refreshing.

Movement looks so much smoother.

Just how 'soft and in-control' the D winds up for the slapshot.

I think it will be a much more satisfied feeling to control your players.

*perhaps that feeling - when you are struggling with your player and it feels like he is ready to spin around, is gone - I hope so.
  • Zkibu wrote: »
    Umbrella is a formation from the nineties. Can't believe that they still haven't updated it to 1-3-1 which is pretty much the only formation what teams are using since the last 10 years. Still, the left player from the back three needs to position himself much closer to the face off ring so he can actually be a threat against the shorthanded triangle.

Obviously we don't know yet if they have updated the strategies, but this does not look very promising. I was hopeful that they would implement the trendy 2-3 offensive zone formation where the third forward "sits" between the two defenders a la Bolts, Avs and Panthers. But maybe that was just fool's hope.

jesus christ this is gonna bug me. no 1-3-1 hurts.
  • Zkibu
    44 posts Member
    Now we don't know whether the 1-3-1 is in the game or not. Still I find it incredibly silly to show off some "vintage" system instead of the default formation of modern powerplay.
  • like you said, it doesn't look promising. i'll take my bets on "they didn't show a 1-3-1 because they didn't add it" over "they didn't show a 1-3-1 because they're keeping it a secret".

but i guess i should wait for the final product. it would be a pleasant surprise.
  • Zkibu
    44 posts Member
    In a situations like these I honestly don't know if the dev team is actually that interested in the actual sport. Do they really know the difference between umbrella and 1-3-1? Or why are the strategies mostly the same that they were in NHL 99? Do they honestly think that hockey haven't changed at all in over 20 years?
  • Are we also just going to ignore the ridiculous defensive positioning by the blues on that 5 on 3? RD skates into LD's **** before skating towards the forward he left wide open for the easy tip goal.

The Stamkos trip looks ridiculous too. Great, its a new animation, fail that the animation looks just as unrealistic than what we currently have. Also, the player skating through the poke that you highlighted, while i agree in certain contexts thats a great animation, in that particular context of a defender poking from behind on a breakaway and the forward not drawing the penalty shot i think opens up a pretty dangerous can of worms.

I haven't played modes with AI in years, doesn't look like that will be changing this year. All of the other things, I'll reserve judgement until i get my hands on the Beta because how it plays 6v6 is all that really matters to me.
  • It's hard to tell this early if it's good or bad.

I seen some stuff that I really like.

But it's 'only 2 trailer's. A few gameplay footage.

The true feeling will come with the beta.

It's one thing to just look at a gameplay - and another thing to participate innit.

But I still feel - so far, so very much good.

I rather talk about 22 then to play 21... 😛
  • The only real way we'll know if we like the game is through the beta. The sizzle trailer are supposed to look good. Otherwise they might as well fire the marketing department.

The real test is when we get a chance to actually play and experience the game through the beta or release version.
  • The only real way we'll know if we like the game is through the beta. The sizzle trailer are supposed to look good. Otherwise they might as well fire the marketing department.

The real test is when we get a chance to actually play and experience the game through the beta or release version.

Exactly. The amount of takes they probably had to do to perform these things and make them look good probably was a bunch of takes.

• like you said, it doesn't look promising. i'll take my bets on "they didn't show a 1-3-1 because they didn't add it" over "they didn't show a 1-3-1 because they're keeping it a secret".

but i guess i should wait for the final product. it would be a pleasant surprise.

They didn't show 1-3-1 because their development team doesn't know that it exists because they don't watch hockey with regularity.

Honestly that initial gif doesn't look any different than the previous games when it comes to team structure, player movement, shot mechanics or goal animation. And he's right, the AI still looks clueless.