EA Forums - Banner

So, thoughts on the gameplay trailer?

Replies

• Sega82mega wrote: »
    Rozsos27 wrote: »
    Looks like the gameplay will pretty much be identical to NHL 21

What do you mean by that?

While the graphics are better and some new animations I believe the core game will still be played the same way. Same AI, no cycling, no dump and chase, exploiting the same moves that work on goalies. I just don't think how the game is played will change much to portray a more realistic game of hockey. Yes, there are some improvements but not sure they are more impactful than the small changes we've seen each year in the recent past. Hope I'm wrong.
  • Pretty much looks the same to me. I see nothing to justify any hype about the game. We haven't seen the menu system at all; my guess is it's the same. No idea if the matchmaking systems have been altered, what CHEL is like. But, from the gameplay, it's not much different.

Meh?
  • Also remember the video at best is in 1080. So even if the gameplay was in 4k we won't get the best view of it.

• You can't tell me you see a 12+ year graphical improvement. Little clearer, more definition on the ice but that is really about it. Very disappointed in that aspect and considering we haven't heard about any major upgrades/updates to franchise/HUT I am more than a little worried.

I think a lot of people are drawing far too many conclusions from overly compressed YouTube videos and not understanding exactly how it will look running in 4K on a new console.

In 2009, the game ran at 720p (1280x720). '21 runs in 4K (3840 x 2160)

a-1.jpg

The people currently losing their minds about how 'bad' the game looks are making themselves look a little silly to be honest.

• Rozsos27 wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    Looks like the gameplay will pretty much be identical to NHL 21

What do you mean by that?

While the graphics are better and some new animations I believe the core game will still be played the same way. Same AI, no cycling, no dump and chase, exploiting the same moves that work on goalies. I just don't think how the game is played will change much to portray a more realistic game of hockey. Yes, there are some improvements but not sure they are more impactful than the small changes we've seen each year in the recent past. Hope I'm wrong.

Okey, thank you.

Yeah lets hope you're wrong. 😉

• You can't tell me you see a 12+ year graphical improvement. Little clearer, more definition on the ice but that is really about it. Very disappointed in that aspect and considering we haven't heard about any major upgrades/updates to franchise/HUT I am more than a little worried.

I think a lot of people are drawing far too many conclusions from overly compressed YouTube videos and not understanding exactly how it will look running in 4K on a new console.

In 2009, the game ran at 720p (1280x720). '21 runs in 4K (3840 x 2160)

The people currently losing their minds about how 'bad' the game looks are making themselves look a little silly to be honest.

I sure hope that I will be the biggest silly clown and proven completely wrong come October in that case! That or hopefully getting into the technical test and/or the beta to see it for myself.
  • In typical EA NHL fashion, the majority of the "gameplay" trailer is spent talking about how players' eyes look, how shiny helmets and visors are, how metal "looks like" metal, how reflective the glass is, X-factors (which are just "context specific attribute adjustments" to remove the PR lingo) and gloating about graphical overlays that could have been done by a graphic design intern in 3 hours so we can "****" over our opponents.

There were 25 seconds of the stick physics stuff - about 9 percent of the "gameplay" video spent on actual gameplay. I find that sort of insulting - to stuff a "gameplay" trailer full of PR speak like "breakthough hockey" and "augmented reality UI" but maybe that's just me.

The stick physics stuff looks nice, although right now it seems like it will just result in fewer silly tripping penalties where you graze someone and they go flying, as the stick will bounce off now instead.

The key to this feature being an actual substantial improvement will be if the stick physics reduce the ability to stick handle through the boards/other things and if they will cause more of an impact on the accuracy and velocity of shots/passes when the path of the stick is impeded.

One other possibly nice thing is the removal of auto-saucing. I believe someone's x-factor was the ability to auto sauce, so that makes me think players without it won't be able to. That would be fantastic, as the auto-saucing is way too overpowered and out of control. I may be reading too much into that though, and auto saucing may still be in.
  • I wonder if it will be a 'deep dive gameplay' - where we gets to know more about the details in the changing of diffrent game mechanics.

But I dont know - soon it's a beta, and I dont think there will be so much more news before that will happen.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    I wonder if it will be a 'deep dive gameplay' - where we gets to know more about the details in the changing of diffrent game mechanics.

But I dont know - soon it's a beta, and I dont think there will be so much more news before that will happen.

Chances are the beta is in 1-2 weeks. So I would expect next week to see WOC information quite soon.
  • Follisimo wrote: »
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    I wonder if it will be a 'deep dive gameplay' - where we gets to know more about the details in the changing of diffrent game mechanics.

Chances are the beta is in 1-2 weeks. So I would expect next week to see WOC information quite soon.

So you think that the beta will be delayed?
  • kezz123
    652 posts Member
    edited August 26
    I like :
    -That there seems to be better deflection plays (one of most common play in real games).
    -That the sticks no longer go through bodies and sticks but will have to see how well its implemented.
    -The whatever marketing technical name they use for special abilities. Seems interesting in differencing players. However, implementation is a huge question mark here as typically, people will tend to go for the same 1-2 abilities usually related to speed. Whether pass interception ability actually works well or not and what happens if you have a pass interception ability but the other guy has a passing ability etc. I suspect this will be unbalanced for a while before being good and only will matter if stats are more impactful (both ways) .

I dislike:
    -That there seems to be super lame tripping again as when the guy casually skates in the stick and fall. Super unrealistic most of the time and is a very strong indicator that defense will be shafted again having to just wait for the offense to dictate the play instead of forcing them to the outside and so on. That alone will likely ruin the game if its how I think it will be as it really impacts the "META" of the gameplay.
    -Animations look clunky to me. Like the players are super box-y and weird looking / moving.

• While I could care less for the x-factors and visual upgrades I am happy with the looks of the stick physics and the presentation upgrades. I judged this game a little quickly and hoping I'm wrong. As far as the trailer itself goes I'm somewhat underwhelmed. I'm interested to see how they do the player creation in WoC. I was kinda disappointed with them saying we choose a archetype again. I really just want to be in complete control of my own stats (I can see them capping stuff like speed based on size or make it "cost" more to upgrade speed if you're bigger. I'm fine with them using 21 as a base so the game isn't stripped, I think they upgraded enough for me but I wish the game felt THIS upgraded every year so in 2-3 years we're truly happy with the product. So far this seems like a nice step forward but playing for myself will be the true test.

My biggest problems with the game are the lobbies that we KNOW will seem empty with players dispersed between 4 systems. Not having HUT work between versions (when the biggest difference between the two are visuals) I could understand not being able to play against someone on a different system but I thought I could at least switch between systems in HUT and WOC and my progress would just stay in the servers. Maybe this was too difficult? I'll hold off my judgement on x-factors but I can see how they could be good or they could break the game so to say.
  • kezz123 wrote: »

I dislike:
    -That there seems to be super lame tripping again as when the guy casually skates in the stick and fall. Super unrealistic most of the time and is a very strong indicator that defense will be shafted again having to just wait for the offense to dictate the play instead of forcing them to the outside and so on. That alone will likely ruin the game if its how I think it will be as it really impacts the "META" of the gameplay.
    -Animations look clunky to me. Like the players are super box-y and weird looking / moving.

If you reffering to that rangers clip - I cant see no reason why he shouldnt get a tripping call in that clip.

The 'meta' had two sides - meta to play offens and meta to play defense.

And alot of people build their defense around a furious pressure - where they just try to run through the puck carrier, with everything they got. (hits, bumps, poke, DSS).

That ranger did nothing to try forcing him to the outside - it was an aggressive 'pinch'.

But again - feels wrong to speculate too much of the things we seen so far - our opinion is strictly based on games we played - 22 is probebly a diffrent game, with diffrent strengths and weaknesses from what we are accustomed to.

I heard "EA kwong" talked about the importance of holding positioning, staying in the puck carriers lane.

And thats a good sign for me - makes me think that it could be possible to force the opposite side to the outside and then take it from there.

But yeah, we have to wait abit further before we know for sure. 😊
  • As long as there is some logic in the tripping, im ok with it but the logic has been lacking.
    Poking in the skates of a player NOT moving should not trip them. IE: when players are against the board fighting for a loose puck. its common for the player behind to poke through the legs or each sides of the legs
    Player skating into an extended stick should NOT trip them (you just kick the stick aside)

The trips should basically only happen if you do a poke through the legs or straight in the skate with the blade of your stick.
    But if you poke ahead of the player and he skates in the stick there is no NHL player that will fall from that (heck not even peewee) and if they did it would be because they put their skate on top of the blade or something and its not usually called as a tripping.

Tripping being done well is a huge determining factor of how the game will play but to be fair the speed of pivots while on offense does play into that too since you can (or cannot if slower) bait trips by moving stupidly.

we will see.
  • s58y3vt3x8dz.png

Can't say I'm not a little worried that X-factors may be overpowered. Hopefully they are just using bad wording.

s58y3vt3x8dz.png

Can't say I'm not a little worried that X-factors may be overpowered. Hopefully they are just using bad wording.

Yeah. If I’m already easily scoring on one timers then **** do I need a boost to them for?

• Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited August 27
    s58y3vt3x8dz.png

Haha! Whole x factor scream cross crease!

Almost like their being ironic - could possible mean that they found a 'fix' for the cross crease mania... (?)

Imagine all the 'hate' - when the 'blast from the 1timer miss the net..... But... It said..' every time'..... 😨
  • kezz123 wrote: »
    As long as there is some logic in the tripping, im ok with it but the logic has been lacking.
    Poking in the skates of a player NOT moving should not trip them. IE: when players are against the board fighting for a loose puck. its common for the player behind to poke through the legs or each sides of the legs
    Player skating into an extended stick should NOT trip them (you just kick the stick aside)

The trips should basically only happen if you do a poke through the legs or straight in the skate with the blade of your stick.
    But if you poke ahead of the player and he skates in the stick there is no NHL player that will fall from that (heck not even peewee) and if they did it would be because they put their skate on top of the blade or something and its not usually called as a tripping.

Tripping being done well is a huge determining factor of how the game will play but to be fair the speed of pivots while on offense does play into that too since you can (or cannot if slower) bait trips by moving stupidly.

we will see.

Yeah poke checks, bumps, big hits, shots, passes, dekes.. Almost every 'action' we make - will have an impact on how the game will flow.

Thats why it's both impossible to know how it will feel, aaaand really interesting/fun to feel it for yourself.

I think 22 could take some more time to get used to - then a 'ordinary' realese on the current gen.

s58y3vt3x8dz.png

I am definitely concerned.

“Every time”

• Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited August 27
    s58y3vt3x8dz.png

I am definitely concerned.

“Every time”

EA use to have a pretty 'sarcastic humor' - im sure they just are having fun...

😏

* First game 7-9 - all of them one-timers - and the announcer goes - "boy if you like offens - this is a game made for you!"

Goood-night....