EA Forums - Banner

If EA NHL 22 still supports puck ragging.

1235Next

Replies

• untouchable_BF1
    1528 posts Member
    edited September 2021
    Sega82mega wrote: »
    belair_col wrote: »
    The problem with puck raggers in the game is that there isn't anything you can do about it

If you ask me - thats not true.

Yes it's - really - annoying. I mean, really annoying. It's sooo cheap - to be such a coward, in a video game, disgusting.

But you can do something about it - but it takes skill and alot of patience and time, to deal with them.

But of course - there's better puck raggers and there's rookie raggers.

The better they are - the harder it gets.

And yeah - my success rate has alot to do with how I work the ice with the one guy I can control, and how good my AI catch up and give me enough support so that I can switch to a better option when I feel it's the right time to do so.

It's possible that EA can program the game to be more in favour to the one player that try to play more hockey - but it can't be that easy for the game to 'recognize' a ragger and therefore make it impossible for him to succed to keep the puck to himself.

Same time - If the forecheck gets to easy - there's a good chance defense will no longer make any difference - everyone will just forecheck the living hell out of the game. (like we already do, plenty enough)

I would like to feel that a solid defense - eventually will lead the puck ragger into a trap.

I shouldnt have to risk too much by playing against an opponent that's clearly not interesting of attacking, unless I go full forecheck.

It's a tricky question.

But remember - don't hate the game - hate the 'ragger'... 😜

The 'game' can address this by making light bumps and body position more of a prominent and successful defensive tactic.

Yeah but light bumps is already in the game - so the big question is - when light bumps should be successful and when it not should be successful.

I get the difficulties to have this type of tools/mechanics adjusted to exactly right balance in proportion to the gamepace/flow.

Im on that opinion that the puck ragging would be so much harder to succed with if the top speed wasen't so easy to maneuver.

Puck control and passes should have more failure innit - the more speed you push for.

And to have "body position more of a prominent and successful defensive tactic." is something I wish for too.

Improvements for that will happen to 22.

I actually think that the 1vs1 hockey will be pretty good.

I think if they reduced acceleration to a realistic level it would be much harder to rag

The acceleration point is perfect, been saying this for years.
    Follisimo wrote: »
    belair_col wrote: »
    The problem with puck raggers in the game is that there isn't anything you can do about it

If you ask me - thats not true.

Yes it's - really - annoying. I mean, really annoying. It's sooo cheap - to be such a coward, in a video game, disgusting.

But you can do something about it - but it takes skill and alot of patience and time, to deal with them.

But of course - there's better puck raggers and there's rookie raggers.

The better they are - the harder it gets.

And yeah - my success rate has alot to do with how I work the ice with the one guy I can control, and how good my AI catch up and give me enough support so that I can switch to a better option when I feel it's the right time to do so.

It's possible that EA can program the game to be more in favour to the one player that try to play more hockey - but it can't be that easy for the game to 'recognize' a ragger and therefore make it impossible for him to succed to keep the puck to himself.

Same time - If the forecheck gets to easy - there's a good chance defense will no longer make any difference - everyone will just forecheck the living hell out of the game. (like we already do, plenty enough)

I would like to feel that a solid defense - eventually will lead the puck ragger into a trap.

I shouldnt have to risk too much by playing against an opponent that's clearly not interesting of attacking, unless I go full forecheck.

It's a tricky question.

But remember - don't hate the game - hate the 'ragger'... 😜

The 'game' can address this by making light bumps and body position more of a prominent and successful defensive tactic.

Yeah but light bumps is already in the game - so the big question is - when light bumps should be successful and when it not should be successful.

I get the difficulties to have this type of tools/mechanics adjusted to exactly right balance in proportion to the gamepace/flow.

Im on that opinion that the puck ragging would be so much harder to succed with if the top speed wasen't so easy to maneuver.

Puck control and passes should have more failure innit - the more speed you push for.

And to have "body position more of a prominent and successful defensive tactic." is something I wish for too.

Improvements for that will happen to 22.

I actually think that the 1vs1 hockey will be pretty good.

I think if they reduced acceleration to a realistic level it would be much harder to rag

Yeah exactly - something that makes it easier to catch players that just doing their best to avoid contact.

It should be an easy fix for them. Make the player with the puck less agile and less speedy than players without it. Make fatigue a REAL thing in the game. It should take a player more energy to play keep-away with the puck than it should somebody defending them. It's not exactly rocket science. It's common sense.

Now repeat after me EA:
    "I will program fatigue into new hockey games now and forever"
    Keep repeating until it happens. No recess for you until it does. You can even take the computer home with you.

We used to do 1 on 1 drills of playing keep away back in my college days. We would start behind the goal line and have to work to the blueline. The player would be like 3 ft away. It isn't hard to keep a puck away from a defender and unless that attacking player on the puck carrier is bigger and more physical most times the puck carrier made it over the line. Fatigue goes both ways and it's the player doing the minimal of things that would retain their energy over someone chasing wasting their energy. FIFA tried something with stamina and losing control of the ball for no reason to try and prevent ball ragging but it proved to be a failure also. People just found a new way to play keep away if they wanted. When CPUs are involved it's always gonna be the same result. It's a reason teams don't go around chasing the puck when short-handed in their defensive zone. You tire yourself out and put yourself out of position.

Puck ragging is such a minor occurrence in games that looking for a solution to a mode that has 1 human on each side determining outcomes isn't gonna happen. I'm willing to bet that not even 1% of games having a ragging problem.

Yeah but in a real forecheck in a real game, we all know that the first guy is turning you into a 2nd player which is something this game does a very poor job at representing. Any good coach would tell their team that the 1st guy is not going to get the puck 99% or the time, but their hard work and positional discipline will lead to turnovers eventually.

So we shouldn’t be trying to solve ragging via 1v1 breakdowns and how 1v1 play can be tuned to heavily favor the defender, but we should be advocating for improved AI play and more specific forechecking options that allow for turnovers to happen via pressure and good forecheck execution by both the human and their AI support.
  • Would be cool (maybe) if the strength and success rate of passes could be decided by how fast/hard you press down R2 in relation to were on the ice the current player is - to who you want to pass the puck to.

More about timing - and feeling.

It's abit 'strange' to be able to charge up passes just by holding down a button.
  • Sega82mega wrote: »
    Would be cool (maybe) if the strength and success rate of passes could be decided by how fast/hard you press down R2 in relation to were on the ice the current player is - to who you want to pass the puck to.

It's abit 'strange' to be able to charge up passes just by holding down a button.

I wouldn’t mind having like 3 distinct passing weights that are determined by your press, kind of like Madden does. Make all three levels adjustable via sliders and that way the CPU and user can be on an even playing field + it would allow for better one-touch passing. I think it would be easier to punish passes that are too hard too. Charging it is hard to master if you really punished people for throwing too hard of passes, but if you could narrow down the options to 1 if 3, it’s a lot easier to expect the correct execution from the user + attributes could play a larger role here as well that could easily be understood by the user.
    Would be cool (maybe) if the strength and success rate of passes could be decided by how fast/hard you press down R2 in relation to were on the ice the current player is - to who you want to pass the puck to.

I wouldn’t mind having like 3 distinct passing weights that are determined by your press, kind of like Madden does. Make all three levels adjustable via sliders and that way the CPU and user can be on an even playing field + it would allow for better one-touch passing. I think it would be easier to punish passes that are too hard too. Charging it is hard to master if you really punished people for throwing too hard of passes, but if you could narrow down the options to 1 if 3, it’s a lot easier to expect the correct execution from the user + attributes could play a larger role here as well that could easily be understood by the user.

Yeah something diffrent from the current system.

You could basically load up the passing button from your own zone - skate and deke through 3 zones - and then just realese the bomb to a pass from the corner in the o-zone.

And as a defender you don't even get the time to blink.

And I cant really see the skill in that behavior. It just makes you mad.

I think the passing play could really be something that could be the next level in this serie.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited September 2021
    gfyvi8n8mac4.jpg

This is what I mean by offensive puck ragging - for me it dosent mather if it's in my o-zone or if it's down in he's own zone. Where he keeps the puck to himself.

Dude refuse to give up the puck - unless it's a cross crease - which I defended pretty well - but sometimes it's just impossible to keep the puck from going in to the net.

0 hits - fun guy to play.
    gfyvi8n8mac4.jpg

This is what I mean by offensive puck ragging - for me it dosent mather if it's in my o-zone or if it's down in he's own zone. Where he keeps the puck to himself.

Dude refuse to give up the puck - unless it's a cross crease - which I defended pretty well - but sometimes it's just impossible to keep the puck from going in to the net.

If a person can rag the puck on you in the offensive zone it's impressive and it means you didn't chase which is exactly what he is wanting from you. Cause the minute you chase and get out of position I'm sure he would try for the cross crease or getting out in front. Wish I could have seen the game played to see what you could have done differently.

It's a case of 1 human not being able to control enough ice. You can say the AI should be doing more but chances are if you get out of position or something it opens up a lane for the puck to still be moved around.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited September 2021
    gfyvi8n8mac4.jpg

If a person can rag the puck on you in the offensive zone it's impressive and it means you didn't chase which is exactly what he is wanting from you. Cause the minute you chase and get out of position I'm sure he would try for the cross crease or getting out in front. Wish I could have seen the game played to see what you could have done differently.

It's a case of 1 human not being able to control enough ice. You can say the AI should be doing more but chances are if you get out of position or something it opens up a lane for the puck to still be moved around.

It is kinda impressive - yes it is, this guy(s) ain't bad - just that TOA without losing the puck is good - all though it's more about - he vs my AI - then me facing him.

I try to show him - cross crease is closed - by reading hes 3-4 diffrent ways to get their - im just controlling by position infront of the crease - trying my best to get in good rotation to pick up the pass - that I know is about to come - all though - not very often, as you can see.

Eventually - he score - or loose the puck, and probebly trip me - or I manage to set up in the o-zone - and he just chasin around like a duck, smashing everything that gets in he's way - far away from the puck.

It's the way some people play offens - thats later makes it impossible for them to defend.

He didn't get me once with a hit, and I can swear to you I didn't rag - I just played my position, and knew where he would go.

All though I did loose him 3 times-not by much, but enough for him to cheese me up.

Incredible boring playstyle to go up against.

I would like us all to trade more chances and maybe go for some cool goals/hits and whatever - instead of camping infront of the net.

I wont chase.

(but thanks for feedback Follisimo)
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited September 2021
    But gameplay 21 is gone - hopefully 22 will be a new deal.

Gonna be 'fun' playing this type of game in 22. Feel if anything feels different.
    gfyvi8n8mac4.jpg

It is kinda impressive - yes it is, this guy(s) ain't bad - just that TOA without losing the puck is good - all though it's more about - he vs my AI - then me facing him.

I try to show him - cross crease is closed - by reading hes 3-4 diffrent ways to get their - im just controlling by position infront of the crease - trying my best to get in good rotation to pick up the pass - that I know is about to come - all though - not very often, as you can see.

Eventually - he score - or loose the puck, and probebly trip me - or I manage to set up in the o-zone - and he just chasin around like a duck, smashing everything that gets in he's way - far away from the puck.

It's the way some people play offens - thats later makes it impossible for them to defend.

He didn't get me once with a hit, and I can swear to you I didn't rag - I just played my position, and knew where he would go.

All though I did loose him 3 times-not by much, but enough for him to cheese me up.

I would like us all to trade more chances and maybe go for some cool goals/hits and whatever - instead of camping infront of the net.

I wont chase.

My team playing 6s is similar to that. We try to get that early lead then we set up down low and cycle around waiting for someone to get bored and bite or caught sleeping and we then try to score. I assume if you attacked he'd have been way more offensive but we know that also leads to good scoring chances so you played what you felt was the best defense hoping to get a couple of chances to capitalize on. If you played on Xbox I'd have liked to play you and see what you can do.
  • Follisimo wrote: »
    gfyvi8n8mac4.jpg

I wont chase.

My team playing 6s is similar to that. We try to get that early lead then we set up down low and cycle around waiting for someone to get bored and bite or caught sleeping and we then try to score. I assume if you attacked he'd have been way more offensive but we know that also leads to good scoring chances so you played what you felt was the best defense hoping to get a couple of chances to capitalize on. If you played on Xbox I'd have liked to play you and see what you can do.

In my world - offens is just about one thing - finding that one timer - I might as well 'park the buss' where I know hes coming.

Save myself some sweat.
  • Follisimo
    1346 posts Member
    edited September 2021
    gfyvi8n8mac4.jpg

I wont chase.

In my world - offens is just about one thing - finding that one timer - I might as well 'park the buss' where I know hes coming.

Save myself some sweat.

I mean 6s is much of the same too. Finding that 1 timer or working in close enough to deke a goalie into biting for a good scoring chance. And the forces are just as bad especially when teams stack like 5 in front of the net then it becomes a cluster of who will pick it up.

This sums up 6s for me

1.) Can we push north south on a counter fast enough to get a good chance.
    2.) Can we get a cross crease off
    3.) Can we bait the defense to chase us
  • Follisimo wrote: »
    gfyvi8n8mac4.jpg

I wont chase.

Save myself some sweat.

I mean 6s is much of the same too.

Thats also what I felt in the Technical Test - but I also felt something diffrent - something better - more close to hockey.

And I think the A.I are startin to catch up to this so called 'meta' - and we get the chance to have more fun in the 1vs1 mode.

And 6s might be really fun with a team that knows how to defend - not a team where only the defenders knows how to defend.
    gfyvi8n8mac4.jpg

I wont chase.

Save myself some sweat.

Thats also what I felt in the Technical Test - but I also felt something diffrent - something better - more close to hockey.

And I think the A.I are startin to catch up to this so called 'meta' - and we get the chance to have more fun in the 1vs1 mode.

And 6s might be really fun with a team that knows how to defend - not a team where only the defenders knows how to defend.

Of course 6s is different because it's humans coming up with plans and changing things up. So the experience can be similar but also different.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited September 2021
    gfyvi8n8mac4.jpg

I wont chase.

Save myself some sweat.

Of course 6s is different because it's humans coming up with plans and changing things up. So the experience can be similar but also different.

Yeah - totally agree. Same but diffrent, in an odd way.

Goals are pretty much the same.

Defense is abit diffrent - were you are dependent on your own A.I more in 1vs1 defense then in 1vs1 offens.

But how we travel with the puck is very similar - 1vs1 and 6s.
    gfyvi8n8mac4.jpg

I wont chase.

Save myself some sweat.

Defense is abit diffrent - were you are dependent on your own A.I more in 1vs1 defense then in 1vs1 offens.

When I do play 1s I rely on myself more than anything else. I check out the players handedness to determine which way to push them. Honestly in NHL 22 since backhand passing is less accurate and fast driving your opponent onto their backhand is gonna be vital.
  • Sega82mega
    4308 posts Member
    edited September 2021
    gfyvi8n8mac4.jpg

I wont chase.

Save myself some sweat.

When I do play 1s I rely on myself more than anything else. I check out the players handedness to determine which way to push them. Honestly in NHL 22 since backhand passing is less accurate and fast driving your opponent onto their backhand is gonna be vital.

Yeah exactly how it suppose to be. Force players to there weak handeness.

In my best of world - I hope people will adjust and get to learn that they might need to take some 'weaker' options then always push for the cross crease.

To keep the puck on your strong handeness a good option could be to surprise your opponent's by taking shots when the other team aint suspect a shot to come - then the defensive team have to reset and adjust to where the puck happen to be after the shot. A quick offensive-mind could take advantage of that.

I think thoose that do push - will get run over pretty frequently.

I had a 6 hits average/game in the test - and I didn't even go for hits unnecessary often.

But games I play like yesterday - that Dude with 15 min Toa - is really hard to go body against - so they force me to not chase after them/Ironically, cause they want me to chase... 🙄

But a better connection with body-connection - could definitely tempt me to play a more 'offensive' defense, where I know I eventually can go after them pretty hard-without risking too much.
  • Body contact isn’t consistent enough to prevent ragging imo. IRL, you have many more tools at your disposal when it comes to stick play, angling, body position, and the boards actually being a solid object you can’t shove the puck through and maintain possession.

Not saying we need to make the game super clunky and frustrating, but rewarding defenders with some solid contact when proper angles and timing are taken is a must to combat this. With this though, we need much more stumbling and less huge hits. Huge hits actually make it harder for the defensive team to grab the puck along the boards and small hits aren’t reliable enough to build a class that can consistently take the puck away with smaller hits on the default tuners.

Puck carrier agility should still be at 0/100 imo as well. With RS + all of the dekes are your disposal, there’s no reason you should be able to turn at full speed the way the game lets you currently. It just looks extremely arcadey.
  • I had a weird thought. What about having a ”fog of war” from the perspective of the puck carrier. Every player in that fog is just an icon unless the tap the stick. You could with a button reveal the whole ice but it would severely affect your agility and puck handling.

I know that’s not something people would enjoy and I wasn’t thinking it’s necessarily realistic. Just a way to make having the puck feel more urgent I guess.