EA Forums - Banner

Excavation Site Gems

Replies

• Thanks to all for figuring the strategy. To make it easy I have done this image based on Happygamers suggested moves

9hrUzK8.png

Dig the squares in the order given. Stop if:
    • You uncover a gem. Lucky you! No need to go any further.
    • You uncover rocks. You're close. One square away. Dig the squares adjacent to (above or across, not diagonal) the rocks until you uncover a gem.

Following the strategy means you waste as few moves (and shovels) as possible to uncover a gem even if you have to get to step 10

Neighbour requirements: 100% Freemium. Daily Tapper. Send PM first.

• nissa762
    1951 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Here she is

I7FhAe0l.png

ETA
    @AirurandoP beat me to it - thanks for the help. Had to edit the rock out... :)

Also want to point out to note the shape of the first 4 squares to make it easier to follow the pattern.

OBYHieOl.png
  • jukan00
    2316 posts Member
    ......so....do not a single one of you play with the sound on?? If you're near a rock or gem you get a different tone when you dig . Makes this so easy. Hahhahaha. You guys are way over thinking this stuff. :D:D:D
  • jukan00...I didn't know that...the pattern still applies in a sense you just click out of order but still use the efficiency. I need to check for the tone near the rocks when nothing is on the dig spot.

And yes, I play with no sound.
  • giphy.gif
    Stuff and Things - Designs by SWK
  • jukan00 wrote: »
    ......so....do not a single one of you play with the sound on?? If you're near a rock or gem you get a different tone when you dig . Makes this so easy. Hahhahaha. You guys are way over thinking this stuff. :D:D:D

You may be right, i may be crazy, but it just may be a lunatic your looking for.

as for everyone else who is doing the equations.
    I've got a new hypothesis, currently working on if all 36 tiles do have a gem currently with the help of @nissa762 28/36 tiles have been confirmed to have gems.), however that is not the hypothesis in question.

Every tile has a specific combination, if the gem is found in the uppermost tile, the stones around it will be a specific pattern.
    Two current rock formation patterns exist.
    Let's call this one Type 1
    73j4xtol.png
    Has a mediumish sized rock in the upper corner, the rest are smaller.

Type 2 is different
    5gvcp44l.png
    4 largish rock in the upper corner

Here's the kicker
    while browsing some towns i found this:
    YGYGagF.png

Same rock placement, same formation and the gem is in the same place.
    I dont think it is coincidental, if we can determine the formation of the stones surrounding the gem, you can dictate (through process of elimination) where the gem most likely will be, thus reducing the amount of shovels used.

Current problems:
    A) 28 out of 36 tiles have been confirmed to have gems, will need to do further testing to see if all 36 tiles have gems

B) However only about 17 or so have screenshots of them/or its surrounding stones (process of elimination) more importantly i need to make sure that my hypothesis is correct and that every tile has a set rock formation before i start posting coordinates and rock formations surrounding said gem, willy nilly.
  • I love this forum and discussions like these. They not only aid in gameplay, they also help to keep that gameplay fun. Simple tap-a-tap-tapping can get a little dull, after all. Throwing a little grey matter into the mix is like sprinkling a little extra cumin into the chili.
    That's a cold shot, baby. Yeah, that's a drag.
  • Echo0006
    665 posts Member
    Echo0006 wrote: »
    lol I was digging the whole area today and didn't realise that rocks meant there was a gem nearby XD

Can someone please provide me with the best way to find the gems as this thread has me really confused? A simple explanation with a photo would suffice, thank you!

Okay here are the basics:
    The Excavation Grid is 6x6, this gives you a total of 36 possible locations where it could be (more information is needed to confirm this if not the amount of tries can be greatly reduced).
    The purpose of these examples and numbered options is to reduce the possible locations where the gem and or stones can be found.
    The Gem itself is surrounded by 4 tiles of stones, much like a compass, these tiles are located North, south, East, and West of where the Gem is.
    This creates a "t" or "x" (i dont consider it x as no diagonal version of it exists)

Finding a group of stones means that the gem is located within 1 tile of the locations where you found the stones.

I'll use the following picture courtesy of @nissa762
    eQtO97I.png
    this method use 12 moves to try and determine the location of the gem and or stones, this is accomplished by hitting areas that would fit the shape of the gem and its' surrounding stones: (Example of stones/Gem combos, courtesy @nissa762 )
    3 Stone- 1 gem combo
    EYtcsZDl.png
    4 stone -1 Gem combo
    5gvcp44l.png
    2 stone- 1 gem combo
    8XgS5Yql.png

As you can see the gem will always be within 1 tile of the stones, the above numbered method requires a maximum of 12 tries (12 shovels) to find or locate the stones, then your task is simply to find the gem, this is preferable then trying to search through every tile individually (minimum 1 try max 35 tries) randomly (same odds as before) or checkered (i'm not a calculator, ok i am but i wont do the math for that one).

the method shown by previous posts reduces this amount to 10 moves to find the stones, however i used the 12 method as it has an ingame picture making it a bit easier to understand (hopefully, otherwise someone else write this)

Lastly you need one shovel per try.
    EvaMohlin wrote: »
    Oh for crying out loud, just dig... :D

While i understand your opinion, what these players are trying to do is an old strategy called "Min-Maxing" while often related to RPG games i feel TVTropes explained it best as :
    Seen from a purely mathematical and gamist perspective, it's an elegant process of minimum expenditure for maximum result.

Thank you so much, this is very helpful! Now I will try and learn about the 10-shovel method! Wish me luck! :D
  • stinkbugger
    1978 posts Member
    I wanna see how well people execute these patterns when they play TO in the middle of the night.
  • papko85
    64 posts Member
    Guys, and what about the return? what is the best way to gather event currency?
  • I wanna see how well people execute these patterns when they play TO in the middle of the night.

you have to be prepared. use a luminescent marker to write the pattern on your screen.
  • wadebear
    3325 posts Member
    3 games, 6 tries, got the gem in 10 or less each time. Thank you!
    Now somebody figure out that sound thing. I've heard it but couldn't figure out what it meant.
  • I wanna see how well people execute these patterns when they play TO in the middle of the night.

hqdefault.jpg

I just save them and use them during the day

• meinaz
    5440 posts Member
    I wanna see how well people execute these patterns when they play TO in the middle of the night.

Me too.
  • teo47
    944 posts Member

I just sleep and use them during the day.
    New neighbors always welcome!
  • I love this forum and discussions like these. They not only aid in gameplay, they also help to keep that gameplay fun. Simple tap-a-tap-tapping can get a little dull, after all. Throwing a little grey matter into the mix is like sprinkling a little extra cumin into the chili.

This.
  • nissa762
    1951 posts Member
    wadebear wrote: »
    3 games, 6 tries, got the gem in 10 or less each time. Thank you!
    Now somebody figure out that sound thing. I've heard it but couldn't figure out what it meant.

Don't think you need the sound. Pretty sure seeing a piece of the rock and the sound are at the same time.
  • nissa762
    1951 posts Member
    pevh wrote: »

you have to be prepared. use a luminescent marker to write the pattern on your screen.

If you start with the first 4 I noted in another post with a separate pic, I find that I don't need to go much further than that most of the time. Haven't ever gotten to 10 moves yet.

• nissa762
    1951 posts Member
    I love this forum and discussions like these. They not only aid in gameplay, they also help to keep that gameplay fun. Simple tap-a-tap-tapping can get a little dull, after all. Throwing a little grey matter into the mix is like sprinkling a little extra cumin into the chili.

This.

Exactly. We used to strategize almost every event in the past. Seems like a fair bit of us are really enjoying being able to do that again. Love working with others to solve a problem/puzzle.