EA Forums - Banner

Forum Flagging

Prev1
simp7fan
4163 posts Member
There's a lot more flagging going on. And most of the time the post being flagged is on topic.

If this flagging doesn't really matter, okay. But if it does, maybe that person or persons can be talked to about not trivially flagging.
Here is my signature. Or maybe it's not.

Replies

• KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    simp7fan wrote: »
    There's a lot more flagging going on. And most of the time the post being flagged is on topic.

If this flagging doesn't really matter, okay. But if it does, maybe that person or persons can be talked to about not trivially flagging.

I was a tad disappointed to see flagging suddenly become a “thing” on the forum. In my limited experience, the ability to publicly flag leads to petty behavior without much (if any) corresponding benefit.

If the mods aren’t pm’ing you in response to the flags, @simp7fan, I’d simply ignore them.

• simp7fan
    4163 posts Member
    Thanks for the reply and advice. There's no issue but the number next to the flag, but I, at least, wanted a record showing my concern before anything ever changes about how they respond to the flagging. I would guess that it's more annoying to them to have to check out false flags than on my side.

Alright, back to getting flagged. :p
  • frosted1414
    2561 posts Member
    I suspect if you disagree with ratman comments, the poster of said comments will flag you. Best to ignore everything posted by that guy.
    Whoa, whoa, whoa – I only accept cash, bitcoin, or GameStop stock.
  • IckabodSchrek
    5912 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    How do you even know if you've been flagged? Lol... I had to ask :D
    Add: @simp7fan I was just reading your recent post in "political talk" in OT and scanned the thread. Yours and others look like they are flagged ... for what I would consider no reason. When you get flagged, does the forum let you know who did it? Looks like a bit of harassment to me. :/
    DeesToonTown in Crawl to the Finish #The Grumple Is Free!
  • meinaz
    5440 posts Member
    I am not sure why we can flag people. Somebody seems to have taken issue with you specifically @simp7fan . I haven't seen anything wrong with what you have been flagged for.
  • What's really weird? I just noticed that you can flag yourself :D:D:D
  • @IckabodSchrek @meinaz @frosted1414 @simp7fan @KrustyBrand

I have checked all your profiles and cleared all false flags, you all should be good now. As for how flagging works, this is more of an option for us SMs then you guys but normal community flag does nothing on its own unless a large number of flags happens to land on a post. We review every flag done and I remove any false ones if I spot them. As for the person who was doing this in question, I know who they are and they have been "notified" to stop with this (it was a single person doing it, not a mass thing).

In the future, if you notice any false flags on your post, please PM me and I will take a look and review the situation and correct any mistakes. Its okay to make a mistake once but let it be known, abuse of the flag system will result in punishment.
  • @XXXO77O4906 Thank you. I think the only time I've flagged is when we had the Chinese university spammers on here. Does this mean 1 flag won't do it and we should just PM a Mod? ..or keep tapping the flag when it's a major issue?
  • frosted1414
    2561 posts Member
    Thanks @XXXO77O4906
    Whoa, whoa, whoa – I only accept cash, bitcoin, or GameStop stock.
  • @IckabodSchrek Those are the right situations to mark a post as spam yes. If enough community members mark it as spam (I wont give the threshold number, due to possible abuse), a very nice thing will happen. :wink:

But one flag on its own does very little that you guys can see but it can mess with the system a little if its not correct and hence no abuse on this. You can also report the post and that will send us a direct message that it needs to be taken care of but we usually see it pretty fast but of course its nice to still do it. When you do see "real spam", just mark it as spam and also use the report option and leave the rest to us.
  • simp7fan
    4163 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Thanks, @XXXO77O4906! Edit: @4junk3000 had a flag that seemed to be from the same instance. It was one of the first I noticed. Maybe theirs can be cleared, too.

Thanks, @IckabodSchrek and @meinaz, for backing up my opinion on those posts not being spam. I feel like I could easily slip into real spam....but I'll take my vitamins and cross my fingers.

@frosted1414, I thought it was ratman, but the name on the flag was someone else. I just found out who when I popped onto a real browser and there was a pop-up that doesn't show on mobile. I know that some people don't like me, but at least be fair and call me out for actual things I do here and not abuse the system.

All fixed. Time to rip off some bandaids.
  • simp7fan
    4163 posts Member
    How do you even know if you've been flagged? Lol... I had to ask :D

When you get flagged, does the forum let you know who did it?
    On mobile a number shows up next to the flag at the bottom of every post, in a somewhat bigger font. I only notice it if I come back to visit a thread. No notifications.

On desktop, it appears less obvious (to me) but clicking on it lets you know who flagged you.
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    simp7fan wrote: »
    On desktop, it appears less obvious (to me) but clicking on it lets you know who flagged you.

That surprises me. I’m guessing the person doing the flagging didn’t know this. Typically people engaging in this behavior prefer anonymity.

• simp7fan
    4163 posts Member
    They've changed their name, so you may just be right.
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    I noticed this afternoon that, after having my spam count reset to zero per @XXXO77O4906 ’s post above from a couple of days ago, I’ve managed to pick up a couple more. I haven’t been here that much in the past few days (maybe a couple of posts), so am left to assume that the perp has been flagging some of my older posts. I really don’t know whether to be amused or sad. I mean, you gotta feel at least a little empathy for anyone that pathetic.
    Tony-Stark-Shakes-Head-Iron-Man.gif
  • XXXO77O4906
    621 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    @KrustyBrand and the rest I have yet again scanned all your profiles and removed false flags.

Again a reminder to all, spam button is not for normal posts and abuse of it will result in punishment.
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    @KrustyBrand and the rest I have yet again scanned all your profiles and removed false flags.

Again a reminder to all, spam button is not for normal posts and abuse of it will result in punishment.

Thanks for taking the time to deal with this.

• @KrustyBrand and the rest I have yet again scanned all your profiles and removed false flags.

Thanks for taking the time to deal with this.

I see that my secret admirer is back, flagging my older posts as spam. That is just so adorable.
  • @KrustyBrand And you are clear again, along with few others.
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    @KrustyBrand And you are clear again, along with few others.

Thanks again, @XXXO77O4906. Sorry that you’re having to spend your time doing this sort of relatively meaningless drudgery. :/