EA Forums - Banner

Spot the difference

Prev1
I wouls say flattered.well played old man....

Replies

• jbillotte
    267 posts
    edited February 2013
    You should be flattered by the fact that someone liked your idea so much that he wanted to take the time to incorporate it into his own town :)
  • peruhomer
    1325 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    Tony68k wrote:
    I don't mind people getting ideas and taking inspiration from your designs, but when I see someone copying a design exactly I'm really not sure how I feel. Should I be flattered or disappointed?

My original:
    image.jpg

The copy:
    image.jpg

What are you talking about? His is way better than yours! That extra table next to Gulp 'n Blow ties the whole piece together. It's a case of the apprentice complaining about the master here. You've a long way to go Tony, just look at how he has transformed what you have produced with the lightest of touches. Amazing.

You should add the table to yours and then left him complain about you :wink:
  • bendermac
    265 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    he has itchy and you have blinky, hehe
  • Jopa79
    357 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    That's a bummer. Yes, flattering, but if they liked the design they could have at least used different buildings or a different orientation.
  • A_Bad_Exampl3
    916 posts
    edited February 2013
    peruhomer wrote:
    Tony68k wrote:
    I don't mind people getting ideas and taking inspiration from your designs, but when I see someone copying a design exactly I'm really not sure how I feel. Should I be flattered or disappointed?

My original:
    image.jpg

The copy:
    image.jpg

What are you talking about? His is way better than yours! That extra table next to Gulp 'n Blow ties the whole piece together. It's a case of the apprentice complaining about the master here. You've a long way to go Tony, just look at how he has transformed what you have produced with the lightest of touches. Amazing.

You are mistaken Peru, Tony's is made better by the extra reindeer and Scratchy balloon. Really, Blinky?

But copying it to this level is more work than creating something of your own.
  • 2Shay539
    52 posts
    edited February 2013
    I think that's taking it too far. I've seen some ideas that Ive really liked both here on the boards and while visiting but c'mon.. To copy it right down to the grazing reindeer? At least when I use someone's idea, it's just a template for my own decorating. :mrgreen:
    I'd be more perturbed than flattered.
  • bendermac
    265 posts Member
    edited February 2013

not really. you have blue print and you just need to replicate it.

some have such amazing ideas and that takes alot more time to create then a replica ;)
  • Tony68k
    279 posts
    edited February 2013
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • PlacentaSandwich
    1148 posts
    edited February 2013
    Tony68k wrote:

My original:
    image.jpg

The copy:
    image.jpg
    I hate when that happenz.
  • NStanger91
    1358 posts New member
    edited February 2013
    I wish my town was good enough for people to copy :-( lol
  • melodyhodge
    1691 posts
    edited February 2013
    peruhomer wrote:
    Tony68k wrote:

My original:
    image.jpg

The copy:
    image.jpg

Okay I'm seriously dying of laughter :lol:
  • dcline414
    863 posts
    edited February 2013
    I personally think this is quite amusing. They must have spent A LONG TIME making an exact copy. It definitely takes more time and effort to copy to that level of detail than to take the idea and do your own thing.

Consider that a direct quote is not plagerism, but taking another's idea and pretending that it is your own IS plagerism.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! :)
  • melodyhodge
    1691 posts
    edited February 2013
    Funny enough the same thing happened to me with one of my areas. I wasn't mad, I was really flattered, so much so that she is one of my fave neighbours now.
  • gchelf01
    239 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    His had a cannon tho so I say he wins
  • ThomasK323
    548 posts
    edited February 2013
    Wow! I get taking someone's ideas and incorporating them into your own, but a carbon copy? That's a little too much 'Single White Female' for my taste.
  • kymie1988
    253 posts
    edited February 2013
    Oh yes I have a copycat :lol:
    I think he copied at least 3 areas of mine.
    And a major point from someone else's town (I now ths cause I have them neighboured) hehe
    He's currently re constructing again so I can't wait to see what happens next... :D
  • A_Bad_Exampl3
    916 posts
    edited February 2013
    bendermac wrote:

not really. you have blue print and you just need to replicate it.

some have such amazing ideas and that takes alot more time to create then a replica ;)

It's a lot of work coming up with it.

But copying that level of detail? Way more work than its worth. I copied part of it and it took forever. And then decided the look was wrong and blew it up.
  • RSommons
    785 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    Where you a twin separated at birth? That might explain it.
  • NeoSEC28
    39616 posts
    edited February 2013
    peruhomer wrote:

Dont forget the Cannon his town has tony ;) quite a few added extras there :P Some might say that you have copied him :P :P:P :lol::mrgreen:
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • A_Bad_Exampl3
    916 posts
    edited February 2013
    2Shay539 wrote:
    I think that's taking it too far. I've seen some ideas that Ive really liked both here on the boards and while visiting but c'mon.. To copy it right down to the grazing reindeer? At least when I use someone's idea, it's just a template for my own decorating. :mrgreen:
    I'd be more perturbed than flattered.

Honestly, I don't sweat it.

I've done some creative plantings to force the characters to walk off road where I want; and seen the exact same design elements a few says later in other towns. Don't understand it, since most don't look good. Or right when road is also used.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!