EA Forums - Banner

Photobucket

Prev1
If you hadn't noticed Photobucket has now stopped 3rd party image linking on all of their budget plans so it you want to use it to link your images to a forum such as here it'll now cost you $399.00 to be able to do it, I understand that the company needs to cover costs ( I actually paid for the ad free version ( but not anymore )) but think that this is just completely over the top, what do you think?
Welcome to the forum, there's some fantastic information available on here.

Replies

• Wow! That seems extreme, plus if you already paid for the service not sure they can do that. Although the service agreements for these internet app companies usually include everything possible against the user. :/ Is that a one time fee? Or annual fee? What's from keeping them from changing the agreement six months from now? Crazy.
    DeesToonTown in Crawl to the Finish #The Grumple Is Free!
  • That's for a year and like you you say the service agreements contain that much fine print they can change things on a whim, so if you want to use for 3rd party hosting like probably thousands do at the moment to host image for forums then it's $399.00 per year, personally I will never use the site again as I feel that they are charging a way over the top amount.
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    It’s hard to see how this works for Photobucket. I suppose they retain a diminished group of hardcore users, but can there be enough of them to pay the bills?

This change also begs the question — if this works for Photobucket, how long before other heretofore free services follow suit.
  • To be honest it's cheaper to pay for some personal hosting space than what they want as I think it just a crazy price and if they aren't careful it could bite them in the behind, it as if they don't want the general public using their service only business professionals and with that pricing structure I honestly can't see many of the general public using them anymore as to host images for a 3rd party or even paying just to use as a storage for their photos.
  • daved7637397
    7228 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Ive never used them I always use imgur to post pictures on here. Never had any problems with them.
    I do not accept unsolicited friend requests! PM me and say hi first.
  • I just found this info. It sounds like you can still retrieve your photos, but any links you've posted are gone unless you pay the fee. What is this? Legalized ransom ware??? I'm glad I didn't use this.
    luzw9.jpg
  • johncolombo
    11025 posts Senior Moderator
    I usually download images to my computer then place manually using the insert button. 48t4hba90vka.jpg
    You can also drag and drop an image in the message.
    Volunteer EA Forum Senior Moderator/Hero EA Answers HQ
  • Plenty of alternatives these days to Photobucket although when I first used them there wasn't much of a choice back then and I'll never use their service again as I only used it for hosting images for various forums that I frequent but it's just a bit of a pain having to change the links to loads of photos to another hosting site now that all of the links are dead as I just think what they want to charge for 3rd party hosting is completely crazy.
  • 168sean168
    3180 posts Member
    Time for Photobucket to Kick The bucket. I have not even tried using this service
  • Agree with you, think most people use it for 3rd party hosting and I just can't see the average person paying $399.00 per year to host their pics, I think that they are committing suicide.
  • Jonalinn
    1766 posts Member
    This is just crazy :/ I'm near weeping here :'( I run/own the website for our school's non-profit foundation and the damage done to the site is massive. It is going to take me forever to repair all the image links. Also, I've read that if you try to d/l your library, PB instead replaces your images with this...
    0pCbbt4.png
    This is insane. What a huge problem this has caused for me as well as so many others :(
    CDzNSq7.png

You got a great looking town~168sean... Checked out your town, WOW! ~daved
  • 168sean168
    3180 posts Member
    Jonalinn wrote: »
    This is just crazy :/ I'm near weeping here :'( I run/own the website for our school's non-profit foundation and the damage done to the site is massive. It is going to take me forever to repair all the image links. Also, I've read that if you try to d/l your library, PB instead replaces your images with this...
    0pCbbt4.png
    This is insane. What a huge problem this has caused for me as well as so many others :(
    CDzNSq7.png

That sounds awful. Can ask your school to contract this out to other party? Since really needs a lot of time?
  • @Jonalinn I fully understand the dilemma and I'm disgusted by them for what they have done, as I said earlier I did subscribe to them for the lower tier ad free version and have done for quite some time and I have several highly detailed how to build led aquatic lights threads on a few other forum sites that all the images have now been replaced by the stupid 100% 3rd party image and suspect that it will take me several weeks minimum probably much more to remove all the dead images from those build threads and re link all of them, I've already written to them tell them how disgusted I am with them and have cancelled my subscription to them and I'm actually looking into paying for some personal webspace to host the images myself so this never happen again, good luck sorting out the school site and hope that it all goes smoothly for you, Gary.
  • Jonalinn
    1766 posts Member
    168sean168 wrote: »
    0pCbbt4.png

That sounds awful. Can ask your school to contract this out to other party? Since really needs a lot of time?

@168sean168 The issue is, with schools, funds are scarce. I actually volunteer all my time as well as pay for the site. It's my way of giving back to the educational community so I really don't mind. It's just that Photobucket has created a nightmare for me :(
    @Jonalinn I fully understand the dilemma and I'm disgusted by them for what they have done, as I said earlier I did subscribe to them for the lower tier ad free version and have done for quite some time and I have several highly detailed how to build led aquatic lights threads on a few other forum sites that all the images have now been replaced by the stupid 100% 3rd party image and suspect that it will take me several weeks minimum probably much more to remove all the dead images from those build threads and re link all of them, I've already written to them tell them how disgusted I am with them and have cancelled my subscription to them and I'm actually looking into paying for some personal webspace to host the images myself so this never happen again, good luck sorting out the school site and hope that it all goes smoothly for you, Gary.

@devilhunt1449 My heart goes out to you and all the frustration you'll be dealing with as well. Rebuilding threads with proper links is going to be very time-consuming. I wish you the best of luck also and hope it goes quickly.
    For me, I have to recode every html link that was attached to a school sponsor (103 at last count) and recode every graphic that was attached to a direct download link (brochures, etc.). It's just a huge, huge project. I've spent 9 hours just so far today d/l'ing images from PB onto my pc. One-by-one... and I think there are probably close to 1,500 stored there.
    You got a great looking town~168sean... Checked out your town, WOW! ~daved
  • Jonalinn wrote: »
    168sean168 wrote: »
    0pCbbt4.png

@168sean168 The issue is, with schools, funds are scarce. I actually volunteer all my time as well as pay for the site. It's my way of giving back to the educational community so I really don't mind. It's just that Photobucket has created a nightmare for me :(
    @Jonalinn I fully understand the dilemma and I'm disgusted by them for what they have done, as I said earlier I did subscribe to them for the lower tier ad free version and have done for quite some time and I have several highly detailed how to build led aquatic lights threads on a few other forum sites that all the images have now been replaced by the stupid 100% 3rd party image and suspect that it will take me several weeks minimum probably much more to remove all the dead images from those build threads and re link all of them, I've already written to them tell them how disgusted I am with them and have cancelled my subscription to them and I'm actually looking into paying for some personal webspace to host the images myself so this never happen again, good luck sorting out the school site and hope that it all goes smoothly for you, Gary.

@devilhunt1449 My heart goes out to you and all the frustration you'll be dealing with as well. Rebuilding threads with proper links is going to be very time-consuming. I wish you the best of luck also and hope it goes quickly.
    For me, I have to recode every html link that was attached to a school sponsor (103 at last count) and recode every graphic that was attached to a direct download link (brochures, etc.). It's just a huge, huge project. I've spent 9 hours just so far today d/l'ing images from PB onto my pc. One-by-one... and I think there are probably close to 1,500 stored there.

Those are a lot of pictures...er images.
    tenor.gif

i cant help but laugh, not a you of course see at some point you have to realize that customer service is a thing. Its a thing people want.
    I feel i shouldnt have to say this, but as we realize its something thats come to light.
    It currently reads 3rd party hosting is temporarily disabled. Which could mean many things, issues regarding their current methods of generating income, greater competition from other sites, etc. However whats done is done.

I am reminded of another time, i witnessed various images being disabled by certain parties, they were not lauded as heroes but as villains.
    giphy.gif

When i first saw that placeholder image, i thought that Photobucket was temporarily down. yeah...no. Since then, various sites have suggested either subtly or blatantly, to simply switch to imgur. This actually is the reason i was kinda laughing, see i lost my photobucket account years ago, so i decided to use imgur instead. No loss no foul, so to speak. Yes some people on imgur are "colorful" but i felt that few used PB now.

I do hope you get through this, i take no pleasure (actually i do) by saying Photobucket will lose a great deal of clientele.
    However it probably wont be the last time this happens so as a matter of precaution i hope people have backups of whatever images they have on other sites. you know, in case.
  • 168sean168
    3180 posts Member
    It would probably affect people doing website for a profit. Maybe if it is lucrative enough, they would just pay for it instead of switching to another free hosting provider
  • devilhunt1449
    3243 posts Member
    edited July 2017
    Hi @someonewashere, yes it's temporary disabled until you agree to sign up for their top plan at $399.00 or $39.99 per month at that point all of your links will start working again, the moment I found the broken links I went to the site to find out what was happening and contact their support to confirm what I had read on the page that the link in the temporary disabled image takes you to, so what they mean by temporary is you can't use 3rd party hosting from them unless you pay for their top tier subscription what they are hoping is that it's going to be such a lot of work for so many people to replace all the images links they will just stump up the cash rather than go through weeks/months of work to fix it and for any business it may well be easier and in terms of business hours involved cheaper.

Edit 168sean168 's post above pretty much covers the whole idea behind what they have done, hope business pay up as in terms of man hours it's cheaper to pay than spending time fixing links. .
  • @Jonalinn So sorry that you have to go through all this. This was one of my first thoughts on this when I heard about it, wondering how many small businesses and nonprofits that would be affected. I won't even bother posting my opinion of this company right now. :# I hope their greed backfires on them and they lose all their customers.
  • simp7fan
    4165 posts Member
    I've only used imgur. I've seen and rejected other sites such as photobucket. Even before this debacle I've often found their hotlinks done incorrectly. I end up having to view it on the site itself...which is unpleasant. I'm glad that I'll be seeing less of them, but sorry to those whom it caused trouble.
    Here is my signature. Or maybe it's not.
  • I have three freebie photobucket accounts I started a long time ago, not that many images really, just some stuff I'd collect that were for forums I used to visit, or particular interests. I'll have to go and see if i can save some images. Some of them were hard to find pics probably no longer available anywhere.
    I more or less changed over to using Flickr and Imgur a couple of years ago.