EA Forums - Banner

How to make a "Panoramic View" of your town.

Prev134
Great post, Peter.

Replies

• Trieste53
    69 posts Member
    edited March 2013
    This is awesome. I tried a few times to do this with different programs, but I was never able to get it right. This looks very doable. Thanks for putting the time in to share with others.
  • crazyant18
    57 posts
    edited March 2013
    Thank you for this post. I was so lost trying to do a panoramic picture. Great information. Hopefully I can do it now
  • JorgeU27
    107 posts
    edited March 2013
    I really hate taking so many screenshots because I fail and it bring me to home screen many times and I gotta load TSTO over and over..
  • petergeenen
    948 posts Member
    edited March 2013
    JorgeU27 wrote:
    I really hate taking so many screenshots because I fail and it bring me to home screen many times and I gotta load TSTO over and over..

Try closing all running applications first. Double click the home button, tap and hold one of the icons at the bottom of the screen, and then tap the minus signs. Maybe that gives you enough device memory to take screenshots.
  • am4692
    2253 posts
    edited March 2013
    You my friend are awesome. This is brilliant. :D
  • NeoSEC28
    39616 posts
    edited March 2013
    WOW!! Nicely done Peter very Impressive post :D (appreciate all your effort)

Always wondered how to do it :D

This should be made a sticky for sure :D Granted i doubt i will happen but it should be :D

Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited March 2013
    WOW amazing, thank you for sharing this. I am never very good at giving instructions so now I can just point people to this thread.
  • NeoSEC28
    39616 posts
    edited March 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:
    WOW amazing, thank you for sharing this. I am never very good at giving instructions so now I can just point people to this thread.

In others words now you wont be telling people how to do it you will just pass the buck to here :lol: :P :mrgreen:
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited March 2013
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    lissarv68 wrote:

In others words now you wont be telling people how to do it you will just pass the buck to here :lol: :P :mrgreen:

LOL I'm one of those who knows how to do things but can't explain them very well. I use words like "thingy" and "whatis" You should see me giving directions, I drive people mad because I never use north, south....etc....most of the time because I have no idea which way it is. I just say drive to that Starbucks or that store and then turn left....etc.

Yes, stores and Starbucks are my landmarks.

I wish I was better at giving directions/instructions. I just wind up confusing myself.
  • NeoSEC28
    39616 posts
    edited March 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:
    LOL I'm one of those who knows how to do things but can't explain them very well. I use words like "thingy" and "whatis" You should see me giving directions, I drive people mad because I never use north, south....etc....most of the time because I have no idea which way it is. I just say drive to that Starbucks or that store and then turn left....etc.

Yes, stores and Starbucks are my landmarks.

I wish I was better at giving directions/instructions. I just wind up confusing myself.

Isnt that the same for all woman on directions tho :twisted:

Oh did i just go there LOL

Only messing around ladies please dont lynch me lol :mrgreen:
  • JorgeU27
    107 posts
    edited March 2013
    JorgeU27 wrote:

Try closing all running applications first. Double click the home button, tap and hold one of the icons at the bottom of the screen, and then tap the minus signs. Maybe that gives you enough device memory to take screenshots.

It's not that it crashes or anything but I don't press them correctly so it's as if I only clicked the home button which brings me to the home screen or the other way around and it turns off the device. :oops:
  • petergeenen
    948 posts Member
    edited March 2013
    JorgeU27 wrote:
    JorgeU27 wrote:

It's not that it crashes or anything but I don't press them correctly so it's as if I only clicked the home button which brings me to the home screen or the other way around and it turns off the device. :oops:

What device do you play on? I have an ipad, but can imagine it's trickier on a smaller device.
  • beeblebrox900
    1314 posts Member
    edited March 2013
    Excellent guide.

I see you are using Photoshop Elephants, i've got an older version of the full Photoshop and the photomerge works great on screenies from the game, have you tried it in Elements, might save a bucket load of time.
  • petergeenen
    948 posts Member
    edited March 2013
    Excellent guide.

I see you are using Photoshop Elephants, i've got an older version of the full Photoshop and the photomerge works great on screenies from the game, have you tried it in Elements, might save a bucket load of time.

Did you try it with a complete town? Or just a few screens? I tried it with a few, and that worked fine. Then I tried with a few more, and got some mistakes. Tried it with all screenshots, and the program crashed.
    I'm sticking with doing it manually. It takes me less than an hour to do the job, so not that bad.
  • SirLew1s
    197 posts
    edited March 2013
    Great tutorial. My town still has loads needed doing but I've completed a few areas so might start the screenshots.
  • petergeenen
    948 posts Member
    edited March 2013
    SirLew1s wrote:
    Great tutorial. My town still has loads needed doing but I've completed a few areas so might start the screenshots.

It's best to take all the screenshots in one take. If you have to go back to make some more, you will practically never get the same zoomlevel again. That means the screenshots won't fit perfectly together anymore.
  • SirLew1s
    197 posts
    edited March 2013
    SirLew1s wrote:

It's best to take all the screenshots in one take. If you have to go back to make some more, you will practically never get the same zoomlevel again. That means the screenshots won't fit perfectly together anymore.

Ahh ok, cheers for the heads up.
  • beeblebrox900
    1314 posts Member
    edited March 2013

Did you try it with a complete town? Or just a few screens? I tried it with a few, and that worked fine. Then I tried with a few more, and got some mistakes. Tried it with all screenshots, and the program crashed.
    I'm sticking with doing it manually. It takes me less than an hour to do the job, so not that bad.

Havent tried a full town as I havent got there yet, but it worked fine with what I have built and I use it quite extensively with real photos to make 360 deg views from very large digital images. Perhaps its an Elephants v Full Version issue

• username5641
    293 posts
    edited March 2013
    Thanks! I've been curious to see what my entire town looks like, and this was neither difficult nor terribly time consuming.

If it helps others who are thinking of doing this in Gimp, it's pretty much the same as OP's PS instructions. Not exact, but easy to figure out.
  • petergeenen
    948 posts Member
    edited March 2013

Havent tried a full town as I havent got there yet, but it worked fine with what I have built and I use it quite extensively with real photos to make 360 deg views from very large digital images. Perhaps its an Elephants v Full Version issue
    I can believe it works perfectly with real photos, because that's what it was designed for in the first place. But then it also works with all the hidden photo information. And you usually don't use dozens of photos as well. There is another panorama program called Hugin. I tried that as well, but couldn't get it to work because it needed a lot of camera information, usually embedded in the pictures. Don't get that information with screenshots.
    Anyway, I'm still very interested in seeing whet you've done so far with your town screenshots. Perhaps you can post a few pics.
    I'm also still cracked up about the fact you keep calling it Elephants as opposed to Elements. :D
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!